My boyfriend and I first talked about going on our first vacation a couple of months ago, and he was resistant upon my initial suggestion of Fond Doux because he "wants to be next to the beach". After a couple of fights and tears, we decided to book at Fond Doux because of an incredible all-inclusive deal on LivingSocial.
The first words my boyfriend said when we arrived was "I'm so glad you convinced me to stay here." Paradise is an understatement; this place is perfection. Everyone was so friendly, and we really felt like the staff enjoyed their jobs, moreso than the other resorts we had visited. We stayed in the Cinnamon Cottage and it was beautiful and secluded enough for our taste. Going to sleep to the sounds of the rainforest and waking up to light warm rain was just absolutely amazing. After dinner, my boyfriend and I would recap to some Pitons on our porch and just talk. It was... perfection.
TO CLARIFY, this is not going to be a traditional resort. This is part of the reason we enjoyed Fond Doux so much. This is not Sandals, this is not Marriott. This is the rainforest. You will see hummingbirds (so many to the point where they were annoying haha!), lizards, bugs, and frogs. It is an amazing cultural experience. It is definitely the most bang for your buck. If I wanted to stay at Sandals, I would've just gone to Miami.
The food was AMAZING, and I am not overreacting. We enjoyed every meal, especially dinner. We found that it was like authentic creole food that we would pay $$ for in NYC. We specially recommend the pepper pot (spicy but delish), lamontagnes sous kaye (fish broth with a kick!), and seafood pasta. They even had a barbeque night with amazing ribs and fish. We were satisfied everyday, although there was an older couple who were fussy about the food. Don't know what they were tripping about, we LOVED the food. Also, the grapefruit juice at breakfast is probably the best I've ever had. We even mentally took home some recipes!
Oh, and everything is fresh, organic, and grown from the plantation. Does it get any better than that?
Katrina was extremely bubbly and helpful. We loved the matter-of-fact way she answered our questions and upon hearing my love for coconuts, she had Phillip the tour guide grab a few on our complimentary plantation tour. That's right, we watched Phillip climb a coconut tree, grab 3, and open them for us with a machete. Only at Fond Doux. Highly recommend going on the plantation tour, you see a breathtaking view of le Petit Piton and find out so much about the plantation itself. We didn't know nutmeg and cinnamon came from trees! Phillip was very sweet as well.
Regarding the trip, we recommend renting a car. This way we were able to drive wherever we wanted on our schedule. We never felt stressed or pressed for time, and we basically drove from the bottom of the island (Vieux Fort) to the top (Rodney Bay)! It was probably the best decision we made and we were able to see 3 beaches in 4 days.
Overall, it was the best deal through LivingSocial and we are very excited to return! Even without the special deal, we feel like it is definitely worth the experience. We love Fond Doux, and thanks for an amazing first vacation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort is a 19th century eco-friendly colonial resort nestled in the heart of St. Lucia, best known for romantic, intimate, and private luxury cottages. The resort is situated amidst a 250 year old working plantation and features an assortment of 15 uniquely crafted cottages, two on-site restaurants, and a collage of outdoor swimming pools, as well as an organic spa. The resort is a scenic 45 minute drive from the island's international airport. As a guest of Fond Doux, you will be conveniently located just minutes away from St. Lucia's main attractions, including The Pitons, The Sulphur Springs - 'The Caribbean's only drive in volcano' - and the best diving sites on the island, all within a prestigious UNESCO World Heritage Site. Whether you're traveling for business, a romantic honeymoon or wedding escape, or for a fun-filled family vacation, Fond Doux Plantation & Resort offers the perfect ambiance in St. Lucia for all travel types. A mere glance out your cottage door will evoke both tranquillity and a journey into the land of adventure! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Fond Doux Plantation & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fond Doux Holiday Plantation Hotel
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere