“A rainforest paradise unrivaled by beach resorts!”

Fond Doux Plantation & Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“A rainforest paradise unrivaled by beach resorts!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I first talked about going on our first vacation a couple of months ago, and he was resistant upon my initial suggestion of Fond Doux because he "wants to be next to the beach". After a couple of fights and tears, we decided to book at Fond Doux because of an incredible all-inclusive deal on LivingSocial.

The first words my boyfriend said when we arrived was "I'm so glad you convinced me to stay here." Paradise is an understatement; this place is perfection. Everyone was so friendly, and we really felt like the staff enjoyed their jobs, moreso than the other resorts we had visited. We stayed in the Cinnamon Cottage and it was beautiful and secluded enough for our taste. Going to sleep to the sounds of the rainforest and waking up to light warm rain was just absolutely amazing. After dinner, my boyfriend and I would recap to some Pitons on our porch and just talk. It was... perfection.

TO CLARIFY, this is not going to be a traditional resort. This is part of the reason we enjoyed Fond Doux so much. This is not Sandals, this is not Marriott. This is the rainforest. You will see hummingbirds (so many to the point where they were annoying haha!), lizards, bugs, and frogs. It is an amazing cultural experience. It is definitely the most bang for your buck. If I wanted to stay at Sandals, I would've just gone to Miami.

The food was AMAZING, and I am not overreacting. We enjoyed every meal, especially dinner. We found that it was like authentic creole food that we would pay $$ for in NYC. We specially recommend the pepper pot (spicy but delish), lamontagnes sous kaye (fish broth with a kick!), and seafood pasta. They even had a barbeque night with amazing ribs and fish. We were satisfied everyday, although there was an older couple who were fussy about the food. Don't know what they were tripping about, we LOVED the food. Also, the grapefruit juice at breakfast is probably the best I've ever had. We even mentally took home some recipes!
Oh, and everything is fresh, organic, and grown from the plantation. Does it get any better than that?

Katrina was extremely bubbly and helpful. We loved the matter-of-fact way she answered our questions and upon hearing my love for coconuts, she had Phillip the tour guide grab a few on our complimentary plantation tour. That's right, we watched Phillip climb a coconut tree, grab 3, and open them for us with a machete. Only at Fond Doux. Highly recommend going on the plantation tour, you see a breathtaking view of le Petit Piton and find out so much about the plantation itself. We didn't know nutmeg and cinnamon came from trees! Phillip was very sweet as well.

Regarding the trip, we recommend renting a car. This way we were able to drive wherever we wanted on our schedule. We never felt stressed or pressed for time, and we basically drove from the bottom of the island (Vieux Fort) to the top (Rodney Bay)! It was probably the best decision we made and we were able to see 3 beaches in 4 days.

Overall, it was the best deal through LivingSocial and we are very excited to return! Even without the special deal, we feel like it is definitely worth the experience. We love Fond Doux, and thanks for an amazing first vacation!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
RAINFOREST REVIEW – MOST APPRECIATED!!!
Dear Connperignon,
What a twisted story – to learn that your partner was reluctant to staying at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation as he wanted to be next to a beach, however after much debate he finally decided and his first words upon arrival was “ I’m so glad you convinced me to stay here”. Thank you for persuading him to stay at Saint Lucia’s authentic heritage.

The care you have taken to point out so many positive experiences during your stay is most appreciated, with your posting serving as an excellent potential guide for any person considering staying our hotel. It is evident that you have caught the Fond Doux bug and it is guests like you who appreciate what we do here.
Your comments about your beautiful cottage, amazing food, friendly staff and the overall rainforest ambience are all well received. Some of our favorite remarks include- “Paradise is an understatement; this place is perfection”, “To clarify, this is not going to be a traditional resort”, “This is part of the reason we enjoyed Fond Doux so much”, “This is not Sandals, this is not Marriott”. “This is the rainforest”, “The food was AMAZING, and I am not overreacting”. We enjoyed every meal, especially dinner”. “Even without the special deal, we feel like it is definitely worth the experience”. “We love Fond Doux, and thanks for an amazing first vacation”. All of these amazing statements encapsulates the unique features of Fond Doux Holiday Plantation which sets us apart from the other properties.
Ending your review by stating that this was one of the best deals through Living Social and you look forward to returning is most gratifying – we look forward to that. We thank you wholeheartedly for your support of Fond Doux Holiday Plantation, and the effort you have put into this truly helpful review.
Eroline Lyton Lamontagne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed at the plantation for four nights on a living social all-inclusive deal. I was with my mom and we had such a great time. Everything was fantastic! The food was absolutely delicious and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. We were in Hilltop Guava and it is a bit of a climb but the gorgeous porch overlooking the plantation makes it all worth it. The living social deal was an INCREDIBLE value and I am so glad we decided to stay at Fond Doux during our visit to beautiful St. Lucia!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
BEAUTIFUL REVIEW-MOST APPRECIATED
Dear Elizabeth C,
This review is short but special in every way.
We are delighted to read that you were happy with your decision to stay at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation and that everything you experienced was fantastic. Your rewarding comments about the room, cuisine and most importantly, “the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful”- all are received with the highest degree of gratitude. We have a dedicated team on board who will add on those special touches to enhance every guest experience.
We sincerely hope that you will decide to return to Fond Doux Holiday Plantation to experience more of the Authentic Caribbean hospitality which you witnessed- it would be our pleasure to serve you again.
Thank you for your wonderful support.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 23, 2013

From the moment we were picked up at the airport by Happiness, our helpful and friendly driver, we knew we were in for a wonderful vacation. We were treated to a cold beverage and a mini-tour of the island, before arriving at Fond Doux. Upon our arrival, we were whisked away to the restaurant and handed a rum punch while our bags were taken to our room. We relaxed and watched the hummingbirds dart around the trees as we fully sunk into our vacation.

We stayed at Coconut Hill cottage, which is a bit of a climb but totally worth the view and the privacy. The photos don't do it justice. It was spacious, clean, had unique decor and a great porch.

The rest of our stay completely exceeded our expectations. We spent four nights there and we probably could have been totally happy to hang out there the entire time. There are nature trails for both leisurely strolls and more intense hikes. There's a gorgeous three-tiered pool, a really cute spa, and a chance to tour the plantation, which is a working cocoa farm.

The restaurant serves different dishes every night and we loved everything on the menu. Much of the food was made with ingredients cultivated on the property. The restaurant was cozy and romantic with beautiful lighting, and had a great band and a barbeque on Saturday night. We loved sitting there and at the bar chit-chatting with the other guests and enjoying the environs.

If you want to venture out, Katrina is really helpful in organizing activities. There's a free shuttle to a beautiful beach nearby, or you can arrange transportation to other beaches, into the nearby Soufriere, to the volcano, or any number of other destinations. Nothing is a problem!

We booked our trip through LivingSocial and were more than pleased with the value of our trip. We can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: The hillside cottages require a bit of a climb. It's not particularly strenuous and it's de...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
THANK YOU FOR YOUR DELIGHTFUL REVIEW!!
Dear Katred2424,
Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to post your valuable feedback following your recent stay.
We believe in the saying that “first impressions are lasting “ and therefore our entire team especially our taxi drivers go the extra mile as they are the ambassadors for our Simply beautiful island of Saint Lucia and Fond Doux Holiday Plantation.
It is heartwarming to read that we were able to exceed your expectations and the fact that you loved every moment is satisfying for all who helped make it happen especially Happiness and Katrina. Fond Doux Holiday Plantation is all about relaxing and making new friends from around the globe.
We are glad to know that you loved the food, cottage, plantation tour and the overall rainforest ambiance.
We are happy that you were pleased with the value of your trip and that you are committed to coming back to relive all the pleasures you experienced.
Thank you for your support and business.
Best Regards
Eroline and Lyton Lamontagne.
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I purchased our trip through Groupon and we were delighted with our experience. We stayed for a week and everything was wonderful and exactly what we expected based on the reviews we read here. A few highlights:

We requested Cinnamon cottage when we made our reservations, and were told it was booked, so they put us into Hillside Coconut. When we got there, we found out we were in Hillside Guava. We were *so* happy we ended up there, as the patio with the view of the rain forest was unbelievable, and a highlight of the trip. It is a hike to get to the room (especially after a few rum punches), but absolutely worth it.

The Jardin Cacao restaurant was lovely, even magical at night with the lanterns lit and the music playing. Everything we ate there during our week stay was delicious, and the menu changed daily so it was always interesting. The chef even went out of his way to make curry goat for me one night so I could try it, even though it was not on the menu that night. Our Groupon was all-inclusive, and we really felt like we had a great value for the food and drink we received.

I highly recommend the sulfur springs/massage experience if you are a couple. We went with a guide (Tonia, who was wonderful) to the sulfur springs early in the morning (9am) before the bus-loads of tourists came. We spent an hour coating ourselves in volcanic mud with Tonia's guidance, and then soaking in the hot springs. Then we came back to Fond Doux for a wonderful couple's massage. Fragrant oils, birds chirping...so relaxing.

I also recommend the rum punch as prepared and served by Jarret, the charming and outgoing bartender. He will make you feel like you are at a party in the middle of the rainforest.

Overall, the hospitality at Fond Doux was wonderful. Lyton and Aroline are warm and welcoming, the staff are helpful and friendly, and Bounty, Socks and Trouble will keep you entertained. I highly recommend Fond Doux and I hope we have the opportunity to return again.

Room Tip: If you're willing to climb the steps to one of the Hillside cottages (Coconut or Guava), the vie...
1 Thank Amy E
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Amy E,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR WONDERFUL REVIEW!!

We are delighted to read that you had a wonderful experience and we were able to meet your expectations. We try to offer our guests nothing but the best quality in all areas, from our accommodation and facilities, to the services we offer.
We appreciate the manner in which you identified so many aspects of Fond Doux Holiday Plantation which impressed you – the view of the rain forest was unbelievable, and a highlight of the trip, we really felt like we had a great value for the food and drink we received”, I also recommend the rum punch as prepared and served by Jarret and I highly recommend the sulfur springs/massage experience if you are a couple”. You also commented so favorably about your cottage, the special meal which the chef prepared and the overall ambiance in general. We agree with you that the Sulphur Getaway Treatment is truly amazing and we are glad that you had the opportunity to experience this peaceful and relaxing experience.
Your complete satisfaction of the week you spent at the resort is perhaps best expressed by the statement that “Overall, the hospitality at Fond Doux was wonderful. Lyton and Eroline are warm and welcoming, the staff is helpful and friendly, and Bounty, Socks and Trouble will keep you entertained. I highly recommend Fond Doux and I hope we have the opportunity to return again - thank you for saying that so candidly.
We are so pleased that you feel comfortable in recommending potential travelers to visit Fond Doux Holiday Plantation as well as commenting on the friendliness and welcoming nature of the staff. We will be happy to share your comments with the rest of the team who helped make it happen. This is likely one of the main reasons we have been fortunate to be consistent on this website.
We are hopeful that you too will become part of the ever expanding Fond Doux Family.
Thank you for your comments and support.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I booked our trip to Fond Doux via Groupon. I did a lot of researching before booking and read mostly great reviews, but some concerns...

First: The hospitality on the plantation and the entire island amazed us. Everyone was SO nice and truly cared about your vacation. Especially, "Happiness" our great driver to and from beaches and restaurants and Katirina (hope I spelled that right) who called and made all of our reservations and any other little thing we needed for our room etc... We were very impressed!

Our Room: Besides being put into a different cottage that we signed up for everything was PERFECT! I did not expect the room to be as nice as it was. We signed up for "Hilltop Guava" and were put into "Hilltop Coconut". They were pretty much identical so it wasn't a big deal, but if we were put into a different lower cottage we would have been disappointed. Another thing people complained about that we were nervous for was the "climb" up to the hilltop cottages. Yes, we were panting at the top every time, but mostly laughing cause it showed how out of shape we were. It was 42 steps up, if you are under 40 years old you should have NO problem... unless youre realllly out of shape. The view and privacy were definitely worth it.

Food: The only thing we were disappointed in, only because I called ahead to ensure there was a vegetarian menu for my husband and when we got there we found out there wasn't. The chef was nice enough to create some stuff for us, but my husband didn't want to eat the same pasta dish every night. He wanted options too so we spent most of our meals out which included restaurant "Dasheene" at Hotel Ladera and "Boucon" at Hotel Chocolat. Our experiences at these restaurants were def. highlights of our trip along with the Sulfur Mud baths where we went through "Rainforest Spa" Sugar Beach's spa package "Sulfur Seduction". (best $374 we've ever spent:))

Bug Noises: The other complaint we read about was the noises from the outside jungle. We both really enjoyed it! I wouldn't have been able to sleep without it. We thought the nature noises were very relaxing. I am a person who has to sleep with a fan on so I loved a little background noise.

We had an amazing time in St. Lucia. Fond Doux Holiday Plantation was in the perfect location, had amazinnng service, views and was very clean! We enjoyed hanging by the pool after our beach days. One thing I would add is a hot tub, the nights get chilly and it would have been nice. Our honeymoon was so romantic and rejuvenating! Thank you Fond Foux:)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrsmort
EXCEEDED EXPECTATIONS REVIEW DOES JUST THAT- THANK YOU

Dear Mrsmort,

We are happy to know that you chose Fond Doux Holiday Plantation to celebrate this special occasion based on the positive comments posted on this board.
Our main concern is to ensure that the experiences we create for our guests are first class and from the subject line of your posting, we were able to do just that. We will be sure to share your review with the rest of the team and congratulate them for a job well done- especially Happiness and Katrina who clearly provided those extra special touches that enhanced your stay for all the right reasons.
We wish to apologize for the issue regarding the vegetarian menu which was promised prior to your arrival. We try to make it our priority to interact with our guests to ensure that any issues or concerns are addressed and had you brought this to our attention, we can assure you that we would have corrected the situation. You may wish to know that we have now created an exciting vegetarian menu. We are extremely pleased that this did not affect your overall stay, you enjoyed all we had to offer including the amenities, accommodation and Fond Doux Holiday Plantation was indeed the perfect location.
It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back. Your comments and support are greatly appreciated.
Cobourg, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2013

A lovely place, very authentic. Excellent kitchen. We ate almost everymeal there with satisfaction for one week.
Make sure to speak with the owners. Their pride, knowledge, hard work, and passion make Fond Doux an exceptional experience. Mr. L was there to welcome and bid guests farewell. The Lord and Lady of the Manor seemed to be everywhere making sure the place fired on all cylinders. If St. Lucia had just two Eroline's and Lyton's, they could take over The Island.

The cottages are lovely, the staff warm and helpful. Don't expect posh in the resort sense of the word. But expect a lovely, clean, idyllic surrounding that is peaceful, well maintained and private. Each cottage is uniquely beautful and smartly situated.
High maintenance tourists can stay away from this lovely place, that is like home in the tropics. I was embarrassed to overhear some Russian tourists complaining about nonsense.

Please visit Fond Doux.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank falconsail
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!

Dear Annabel45,

We are humbled by the sheer magnitude of the positive comments which we have received from previous reviews and yours is no exception. We greatly appreciate all your comments.
We take pride in what we offer here at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation as we understand that in order to run a successful unique property like ours it takes a lot of hard work, determination and passion which can have a positive impact on the social, environmental and cultural developments in our country. We make it our duty to interact with our guests to ensure that any issues or concerns can be addressed immediately as we believe that our guests are the first ambassadors for Fond Doux Holiday Plantation and ultimately Saint. Lucia depending on the quality of their experience.
We have a dedicated team on board who shares the same vision and will go above and beyond to ensure that all guests enjoy Saint Lucia’s Authentic Heritage at its best.
We understand the fact that Fond Doux Holiday Plantation is not a resort in its definition but has a profound appeal that caters to persons seeking to experience Saint Lucia’s true heritage.

Thank you for your overwhelming support and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed at Fond Doux for 5 days. It was amazing. After reading all of the reviews I had high expectations. My expectations were surpassed. The staff is wonderful and will do whatever to make your stay great. The food was really good. Fresh fish, fresh fruit, and vegetables were available with every meal. 3 meals a day and all of the meals were great. The drinks were nice, I recommend the custom rum punch, a local treat. The rooms were clean, the mattresses comfortable, the bathrooms nice, and nicely decorated. Each cabin feels like you are the only person staying at the plantation. The bugs were not bad at all. I packed bug spray and did not use it. I have no complaints. Oh and a bonus, Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles stopped by fond Doux. Plus there are no snakes. It is a master planned rainforest. Acres and acres of beauty. I highly recommend fond Doux to everyone from families, couples, to a person who wants to go on vacation. I hope to get to come back soon.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bill H
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
THANK YOU FOR YOUR REVIEW!!!

Dear Bill H,

At Fond Doux, we have the saying, ‘everyone wants to go to Heaven but no one wants to die: Just come to Fond Doux, Paradise on Earth! It is evident from the subject line of your posting that you experienced just that. It is most difficult to exceed the expectations of a first time visitor to the island and so it is heartwarming to read that we were able to surpass your overall expectations.
Thank you for saying all the wonderful things which you have –“The staff is wonderful and will do whatever to make your stay great”. “The food was really good”. “Fresh fish, fresh fruit, and vegetables were available with every meal”. “3 meals a day and all of the meals were great”. “The drinks were nice; I recommend the custom rum punch, a local treat”. “The rooms were clean, the mattresses comfortable, the bathrooms nice, and nicely decorated”. It is these key elements that are associated with the ever expanding Fond Doux Family.
Our team will be happy to read this posting and it will encourage them to continue delivering excellent service and outstanding Caribbean hospitality which they have now become renowned for.

Thank you for your endorsement and commitment to return. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Eroline and Lyton Lamontagne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina

Been to Fond Doux Plantation & Resort? Share your experiences!