“Wonderful Stay at Fond Doux”

Fond Doux Plantation & Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I purchased our trip through Groupon and we were delighted with our experience. We stayed for a week and everything was wonderful and exactly what we expected based on the reviews we read here. A few highlights:

We requested Cinnamon cottage when we made our reservations, and were told it was booked, so they put us into Hillside Coconut. When we got there, we found out we were in Hillside Guava. We were *so* happy we ended up there, as the patio with the view of the rain forest was unbelievable, and a highlight of the trip. It is a hike to get to the room (especially after a few rum punches), but absolutely worth it.

The Jardin Cacao restaurant was lovely, even magical at night with the lanterns lit and the music playing. Everything we ate there during our week stay was delicious, and the menu changed daily so it was always interesting. The chef even went out of his way to make curry goat for me one night so I could try it, even though it was not on the menu that night. Our Groupon was all-inclusive, and we really felt like we had a great value for the food and drink we received.

I highly recommend the sulfur springs/massage experience if you are a couple. We went with a guide (Tonia, who was wonderful) to the sulfur springs early in the morning (9am) before the bus-loads of tourists came. We spent an hour coating ourselves in volcanic mud with Tonia's guidance, and then soaking in the hot springs. Then we came back to Fond Doux for a wonderful couple's massage. Fragrant oils, birds chirping...so relaxing.

I also recommend the rum punch as prepared and served by Jarret, the charming and outgoing bartender. He will make you feel like you are at a party in the middle of the rainforest.

Overall, the hospitality at Fond Doux was wonderful. Lyton and Aroline are warm and welcoming, the staff are helpful and friendly, and Bounty, Socks and Trouble will keep you entertained. I highly recommend Fond Doux and I hope we have the opportunity to return again.

Room Tip: If you're willing to climb the steps to one of the Hillside cottages (Coconut or Guava), the vie...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amy E
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Dear Amy E,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR WONDERFUL REVIEW!!

We are delighted to read that you had a wonderful experience and we were able to meet your expectations. We try to offer our guests nothing but the best quality in all areas, from our accommodation and facilities, to the services we offer.
We appreciate the manner in which you identified so many aspects of Fond Doux Holiday Plantation which impressed you – the view of the rain forest was unbelievable, and a highlight of the trip, we really felt like we had a great value for the food and drink we received”, I also recommend the rum punch as prepared and served by Jarret and I highly recommend the sulfur springs/massage experience if you are a couple”. You also commented so favorably about your cottage, the special meal which the chef prepared and the overall ambiance in general. We agree with you that the Sulphur Getaway Treatment is truly amazing and we are glad that you had the opportunity to experience this peaceful and relaxing experience.
Your complete satisfaction of the week you spent at the resort is perhaps best expressed by the statement that “Overall, the hospitality at Fond Doux was wonderful. Lyton and Eroline are warm and welcoming, the staff is helpful and friendly, and Bounty, Socks and Trouble will keep you entertained. I highly recommend Fond Doux and I hope we have the opportunity to return again - thank you for saying that so candidly.
We are so pleased that you feel comfortable in recommending potential travelers to visit Fond Doux Holiday Plantation as well as commenting on the friendliness and welcoming nature of the staff. We will be happy to share your comments with the rest of the team who helped make it happen. This is likely one of the main reasons we have been fortunate to be consistent on this website.
We are hopeful that you too will become part of the ever expanding Fond Doux Family.
Thank you for your comments and support.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I booked our trip to Fond Doux via Groupon. I did a lot of researching before booking and read mostly great reviews, but some concerns...

First: The hospitality on the plantation and the entire island amazed us. Everyone was SO nice and truly cared about your vacation. Especially, "Happiness" our great driver to and from beaches and restaurants and Katirina (hope I spelled that right) who called and made all of our reservations and any other little thing we needed for our room etc... We were very impressed!

Our Room: Besides being put into a different cottage that we signed up for everything was PERFECT! I did not expect the room to be as nice as it was. We signed up for "Hilltop Guava" and were put into "Hilltop Coconut". They were pretty much identical so it wasn't a big deal, but if we were put into a different lower cottage we would have been disappointed. Another thing people complained about that we were nervous for was the "climb" up to the hilltop cottages. Yes, we were panting at the top every time, but mostly laughing cause it showed how out of shape we were. It was 42 steps up, if you are under 40 years old you should have NO problem... unless youre realllly out of shape. The view and privacy were definitely worth it.

Food: The only thing we were disappointed in, only because I called ahead to ensure there was a vegetarian menu for my husband and when we got there we found out there wasn't. The chef was nice enough to create some stuff for us, but my husband didn't want to eat the same pasta dish every night. He wanted options too so we spent most of our meals out which included restaurant "Dasheene" at Hotel Ladera and "Boucon" at Hotel Chocolat. Our experiences at these restaurants were def. highlights of our trip along with the Sulfur Mud baths where we went through "Rainforest Spa" Sugar Beach's spa package "Sulfur Seduction". (best $374 we've ever spent:))

Bug Noises: The other complaint we read about was the noises from the outside jungle. We both really enjoyed it! I wouldn't have been able to sleep without it. We thought the nature noises were very relaxing. I am a person who has to sleep with a fan on so I loved a little background noise.

We had an amazing time in St. Lucia. Fond Doux Holiday Plantation was in the perfect location, had amazinnng service, views and was very clean! We enjoyed hanging by the pool after our beach days. One thing I would add is a hot tub, the nights get chilly and it would have been nice. Our honeymoon was so romantic and rejuvenating! Thank you Fond Foux:)

1  Thank mrsmort

EXCEEDED EXPECTATIONS REVIEW DOES JUST THAT- THANK YOU

Dear Mrsmort,

We are happy to know that you chose Fond Doux Holiday Plantation to celebrate this special occasion based on the positive comments posted on this board.
Our main concern is to ensure that the experiences we create for our guests are first class and from the subject line of your posting, we were able to do just that. We will be sure to share your review with the rest of the team and congratulate them for a job well done- especially Happiness and Katrina who clearly provided those extra special touches that enhanced your stay for all the right reasons.
We wish to apologize for the issue regarding the vegetarian menu which was promised prior to your arrival. We try to make it our priority to interact with our guests to ensure that any issues or concerns are addressed and had you brought this to our attention, we can assure you that we would have corrected the situation. You may wish to know that we have now created an exciting vegetarian menu. We are extremely pleased that this did not affect your overall stay, you enjoyed all we had to offer including the amenities, accommodation and Fond Doux Holiday Plantation was indeed the perfect location.
It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back. Your comments and support are greatly appreciated.
Best Regards

Reviewed March 8, 2013

A lovely place, very authentic. Excellent kitchen. We ate almost everymeal there with satisfaction for one week.
Make sure to speak with the owners. Their pride, knowledge, hard work, and passion make Fond Doux an exceptional experience. Mr. L was there to welcome and bid guests farewell. The Lord and Lady of the Manor seemed to be everywhere making sure the place fired on all cylinders. If St. Lucia had just two Eroline's and Lyton's, they could take over The Island.

The cottages are lovely, the staff warm and helpful. Don't expect posh in the resort sense of the word. But expect a lovely, clean, idyllic surrounding that is peaceful, well maintained and private. Each cottage is uniquely beautful and smartly situated.
High maintenance tourists can stay away from this lovely place, that is like home in the tropics. I was embarrassed to overhear some Russian tourists complaining about nonsense.

Please visit Fond Doux.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank falconsail

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!

Dear Annabel45,

We are humbled by the sheer magnitude of the positive comments which we have received from previous reviews and yours is no exception. We greatly appreciate all your comments.
We take pride in what we offer here at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation as we understand that in order to run a successful unique property like ours it takes a lot of hard work, determination and passion which can have a positive impact on the social, environmental and cultural developments in our country. We make it our duty to interact with our guests to ensure that any issues or concerns can be addressed immediately as we believe that our guests are the first ambassadors for Fond Doux Holiday Plantation and ultimately Saint. Lucia depending on the quality of their experience.
We have a dedicated team on board who shares the same vision and will go above and beyond to ensure that all guests enjoy Saint Lucia’s Authentic Heritage at its best.
We understand the fact that Fond Doux Holiday Plantation is not a resort in its definition but has a profound appeal that caters to persons seeking to experience Saint Lucia’s true heritage.

Thank you for your overwhelming support and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Fond Doux for 5 days. It was amazing. After reading all of the reviews I had high expectations. My expectations were surpassed. The staff is wonderful and will do whatever to make your stay great. The food was really good. Fresh fish, fresh fruit, and vegetables were available with every meal. 3 meals a day and all of the meals were great. The drinks were nice, I recommend the custom rum punch, a local treat. The rooms were clean, the mattresses comfortable, the bathrooms nice, and nicely decorated. Each cabin feels like you are the only person staying at the plantation. The bugs were not bad at all. I packed bug spray and did not use it. I have no complaints. Oh and a bonus, Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles stopped by fond Doux. Plus there are no snakes. It is a master planned rainforest. Acres and acres of beauty. I highly recommend fond Doux to everyone from families, couples, to a person who wants to go on vacation. I hope to get to come back soon.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bill H
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REVIEW!!!

Dear Bill H,

At Fond Doux, we have the saying, ‘everyone wants to go to Heaven but no one wants to die: Just come to Fond Doux, Paradise on Earth! It is evident from the subject line of your posting that you experienced just that. It is most difficult to exceed the expectations of a first time visitor to the island and so it is heartwarming to read that we were able to surpass your overall expectations.
Thank you for saying all the wonderful things which you have –“The staff is wonderful and will do whatever to make your stay great”. “The food was really good”. “Fresh fish, fresh fruit, and vegetables were available with every meal”. “3 meals a day and all of the meals were great”. “The drinks were nice; I recommend the custom rum punch, a local treat”. “The rooms were clean, the mattresses comfortable, the bathrooms nice, and nicely decorated”. It is these key elements that are associated with the ever expanding Fond Doux Family.
Our team will be happy to read this posting and it will encourage them to continue delivering excellent service and outstanding Caribbean hospitality which they have now become renowned for.

Thank you for your endorsement and commitment to return. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I went to St Lucia for a winter getaway in February. We loved Fond doux Estate. We stayed in two different cottages: Mango Hilltop- which was one of their honeymoon suites, and the Guava Hilltop. Both cottages were very clean, nicely decorated, and great views from the balcony. I would highly recommend staying at this quiet and relaxing resort. The honeymoon suite was my favorite because it has an outdoor shower and a private pool. This place has delicious food and a beautiful relaxing environment. This was the most relaxing and peaceful vacation ever. The service was like no other- very helpful front desk and wait staff. I would go here again.

Room Tip: spend the extra money to stay in a honeymoon suite where you'll have privacy, and extra amenitie...
2  Thank ssghassem
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

THANK YOU FOR THE MOST BEAUTIFUL REVIEW!!

Dear Ssghassem,

Thank you for taking time to write this beautiful review regarding your recent stay at our Tropical Garden of Eden.
It is evident that your overall expectations were exceeded with comments such as “We loved Fond Doux Estate”, “This place has delicious food and a beautiful relaxing environment. This was the most relaxing and peaceful vacation ever”. “The service was like no other- very helpful front desk and wait staff”. “I would go here again”.
We are delighted to know that you were happy with our accommodations, service and food and beverage offerings. You may wish to know that the newly constructed honeymoon suites (Hilltop Mango and Papaya) have now become famous with honeymooners.
Thank you for your commitment to return and we look forward to welcoming you back to experience more of the authentic Caribbean hospitality which you witnessed.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed 7 nights here in February 2013 and had the most wonderful time. We stayed in Cinnamon Villa, which was one of the 12 beautiful detached houses dotted around the estate. It was incredibly comfortable, and secluded. We had a verandah where we could sit on comfy rocking chairs and watch hummingbirds feeding from the banana trees. The staff were charming, very laid back and really friendly. We'd never been to St Lucia before and although we definitely didn't want to rough it we were also desperate not to end up in a Sandals type resort which could be anywhere. So this place was perfect. The food was fabulous too - using produce grown on the estate. Fond Doux is a locally owned, ethically run business and an utterly charming place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

WONDERFUL REVIEW MOST GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Dear Isobel W,

We greatly appreciate the time you have taken to “wholeheartedly endorse the very positive comments” about Fond Doux Holiday Plantation. Your complete satisfaction of the week you spent at the resort is perhaps best expressed by the statement “. So this place was perfect.” The food was fabulous too - using produce grown on the estate”.
We are committed to making every holiday experience a memorable one and from a careful reading of your posting, we did just that. We will definitely pass on your comments to the entire team for a job well done.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Thank you for your comments and business.

Best Regards

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We spent our honeymoon here and it was an wonderful, amazing time! St. Lucia is a beautiful country and the private cottages at Fond Doux really allowed us the time and space to enjoy it all in. We loved our balcony, where we could soak in the sights and sounds of the rainforest and the clear blue skies. Do not miss the walk up the mountains either - there is an amazing view of Gros Piton and the Carribean. We were caught in a tropical rain/spritz, and it definitely is amazing when it rains in the jungle.

We stayed at Fond Doux for six nights, and went to Jalousie Beach and Anse Chastenet 5 of those days - the highlights of our trip. A car is recommended if you would like some transportation flexibility and explore the nearby town of Soufriere, a hidden gem in St. Lucia where you can mix and interact with the locals.

The people working at Fond Doux are the best. We thoroughly enjoyed their company. Although we can't recall all the names here, we really enjoyed talking with Happiness, our driver, and Jonathan, the night guard - as well as our waiters and waitresses. They are friendly without exception and really made Fond Doux stand out as an outstanding plantation resort.

Lyton, the owner, drove us to Jalousie Beach one day when the driver was already making a trip to Anse Chastenet. I was impressed that the owner of the place would take on driving duties to ensure great service - a model for business success anywhere, any place. We also learned during that trip to Jalousie Beach about the plantation itself - the eco-friendly practices, variety of crops, and the assistance that it provides to the local St. Lucian farmers.

This brings us to food - which was simply amazing. Fresh fruits and vegetables, local cuisine, and variety - different options every night of the week - made us look forward to dinner every night. There was great music playing as well in the background. We could tell that Fond Doux takes pride in its food - and being on a farm plantation they definitely should.

We booked through Groupon but had to reschedule the timing of our trip to another month, at the last minute, and Fond Doux booked a new week without penalty. This was definitely impressive as well.

We definitely encourage you to tip, if you come here. In St. Lucia, tipping is discretionary, but in a place with as wonderful employees as Fond Doux (and such an amazing value), tipping is definitely the right and natural thing to do.

In summary, a great place to visit for a honeymoon - and for a family vacation. Fond Doux is tucked away near Soufriere, which is right by the Pitons, and lovely stretches of rainforest and natural scenery. It's a different feel, more private, than the north of St. Lucia which has more resorts and tourists, and is more commercialized.

Thank you Fond Doux for providing the location for a wonderful honeymoon with memories to last a lifetime!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

THANK YOU FOR YOUR BEAUTIFUL REVIEW!!!

Dear Roland P,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post this very extensive review of your honeymoon at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation.

This review is truly outstanding in every way. You have basically covered all the main aspects at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation and there is not much to be expanded on. Readers of this post are encouraged to read it carefully, for it is full of detailed observations relating to Fond Doux Holiday Plantation and St. Lucia in general. Some of our favorite remarks include “We spent our honeymoon here and it was a wonderful, amazing time!”, “The people working at Fond Doux are the best”, and “ I was impressed that the owner of the place would take on driving duties to ensure great service - a model for business success anywhere, any place”.

We the owners make it our priority to introduce and interact with every guest to ensure that they all feel welcome. Our aim is to consistently deliver excellent service and so we try to help in whatever way possible, whether it is taking our guests to the beach when our driver is busy on another trip, taking our guests around the plantation or touring guests to the neighboring communities to get a better feel of the island life.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit and that the courtesies and services you experienced positively contributed to a relaxing vacation. We are committed to providing our guests with the highest level of service and it is satisfying that your overall expectations were exceeded. We are also delighted to know that you were pleased with the amenities, accommodation and facilities.

Once again thank you for having chosen Fond Doux Holiday Plantation for this special occasion and we look forward to welcoming you back perhaps for your first wedding anniversary.

Thank you for your support and endorsement.

Eroline and Lyton Lamontagne

Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#1 of 1 in Anse Cochon
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Fond Doux Plantation & Resort? Share your experiences!