“Rain Forest Gem”

GreenLeadersGold level
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Rain Forest Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

Fond Doux is on a cocoa plantation in the middle of the rain forest. It is beautiful & the owner told us all the cottages there were former houses that were going to be replaced by something more modern. He buys them, brings them to his property & rebuilds them. He said he was trying to make a museum of old houses. The staff was very friendly & helpful, dinners were amazing. The walking trails there were good & one has an amazing view of the ocean & Petit Piton. The property is quiet & a great place to relax. Aside from one other couple, we had the place to ourselves the whole trip. From our cottage, we could hardly see any of the nearby cottages through all the lush flora. Very private and very clean. You are in the middle of the rain forest, so there are insects and lizards. They didn't bother us, just made us feel closer to nature.

The plantation is about a 10 minute drive from Jalousie Beach, but they will call their driver to take you & pick you up for free. The only stipulation is you have to go by a certain time in the morning and be picked up by a certain time in the afternoon. It seemed like the times changed daily depending on who we asked, one day it was 9:30, one day 10, then 10:30. Jalousie is beautiful, but bring beach towels if you don't want to pay $20/day per lounge chair. We went to Anse Chastanet also because we heard snorkeling was better there, although I thought both places offered great snorkeling. I recommend taking a water taxi at some point, because the view of the island from the water is amazing.

We hope to return to St Lucia, and wouldn't consider staying anywhere other than the Fond Doux!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lbr618
Fonddoux, Manager at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
“Gem of a review most appreciated”

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your recent stay at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation.

The positive comments which you made are greatly appreciated as well as the observation of the property and our friendly and hardworking staff. Fond Doux is still a working Cocoa Plantation. All our fruits and vegetables are grown organically on the estate which is used by our Chefs to create delicious delicacies.

The hiking trail to the side of the estate gives you a perfect view of Petit Piton and the Jalousie Bay. All our cottages are secluded amidst our Lush tropical Rain Forest environment to provide complete relaxation and privacy for our guests.

We care deeply about preserving our culture and heritage. This is evident through our practice of identifying intricate French Colonial wooden building more than 100 years old slated for demolition, which we dismantle and transport to the estate, where they are restored as guest accommodation and stand as monuments of the Island’s rich colonial history.

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to say how happy we are that you enjoyed your stay at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation and thank you for providing us with your feedback.

Thank you once again for your support and we hope to see you again soon.

Eroline/Lyton Lamontagne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

Service: I really enjoyed my stay here but I felt that the staff really let themselves down at times. Firstly, not once did my breakfast consist of everything on the menu. They either forgot and simply didn't bring out something that was asked of them. By the end of our stay both my girl friend and I were joking about their lack or service. Secondly, this is not a good place to stay if you're vegetarian. We had to eat out because the lack of selection on the menu prevented my girl friend from enjoying the restaurant. The one time she ordered friend eggs they came out smelling on bacon. Very poor service.

Sleep Quality: Ear plugs! Why are they not complimentary?? The plantation is in the middle of a Forrest and the noise of the wild life is deafening. I can not understand why there are not complimentary ear plus for guests. This would add to the comfort and sleep quality.

Value: It's not cheap but I'm not unhappy with the value, however I'm neither to happy as we had to eat out and when we ate in the food wasn't satisfactory for my girlfriend thus making the overall experience less that satisfying.

Location: Beautiful

Room: Beautiful. Really really nice.

Cleanliness: Extremely clean. Spotless.

Recommends: Complementary ear plugs, better food service, improved menu, courtesy umbrellas for guests.

Room Tip: Hilltop Guava is a lovely room perched up high in the plantation. View is excellent however it's...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lensip
Fonddoux, Manager at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
‘’Thank you for your review”

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation.

We are extremely pleased that you were able to enjoy various elements of your stay including the cottage, scenery and location. We have applauded our Housekeeping Team for a job well done.

We are in the process of working on our Vegetarian options and hopefully on your return visit our delicacies would be awaiting your approval particularly as our gardens are now replete with organic Bounty now in season.

Most of our guests have enjoyed the symphony of the Orchestra as night progresses and this Tropical Garden of Eden is serenaded by the music. We greatly appreciate your suggestion of the use of earplugs at nights for the guests who are not too familiar with the nightly chorus and will therefore provide earplugs in each cottage.

You may wish to know that all our cottages are now equipped with umbrellas.
As owners of this property we have it made our duty to ensure that every department remains consistent in providing the highest level of customer service at all times.

Your comments and business have been greatly appreciated.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

Fond Doux is not for everyone, for only those who can appreciate somewhere very special should be allowed to go there. They should be at one with nature for it is set in one of the most magical plantations in St Lucia - no wonder it was the chosen place for the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall to visit some years ago. The staff, led by the owners Lytton and Eroline Lamontagne, were nonpareil, where nothing was too much trouble. I particularly liked the meld of being totally private, yet if one wanted to be social, that was an option too for I found nothing but like-minded people staying. I dislike the overworked word 'relaxed' but the easy atmosphere of the place soon overtook me, so much so that it was hard to leave. Thank you Lamontagnes for making me so welcome.

Nicholas Courtney

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank Nicholas C
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, May 12, 2012
MAGICAL, MAGICAL THANKS:

You are absolutely right. There are magical people and magical places in the world. Sometimes we meet SPECIAL people with magical gifts in life: a FANTASTIC LIST of persons in all walks of life. Then it is our pleasure and also our staff to ensure that everyone leaves here and perhaps we have made a friend or family for life.
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

What an amazing experience Fond Doux was for us! I must start off by saying that my first contact with Fond Doux was through email as I had emailed various questions that my husband and I had about the property.....and we were so pleasantly surprised to receive a warm, welcoming response to all our questions within about an hour or so! And when I contacted Fond Doux to let them know our flight number, arrival time, etc. we also received another quick response informing us that Jerome would be at the airport waiting for us with a name card to take us to Fond Doux. By this point, we were already getting excited about our upcoming trip and already had a favourable impression of Fond Doux, as this literally was our first direct contact with anyone in St. Lucia (even though so far it had just been by email). We couldn't help but think that with their prompt warm responses via email, that this type of service would continue when we arrived....and we were right! Jerome met us at the airport as promised and provided warm, informative and fun conversation along the drive. When we arrived at Fond Doux, we were warmly received and checked in and while Chris took our bags up to our Hilltop Coconut cottage, we went to the Jardin de Cacao restaurant bar to receive our complimentary arrival cocktail from Susanney. Both my husband and I tried the locally brewed Piton beer and even though I'm not a beer drinker, I must say, we both loved it! After our cocktail, we made our way up to our Hilltop coconut cottage (this is listed under the superior cottage category) and we were so impressed with the cottage and also with the view. The cottage was beautifully decorated, had the most unbelievable charm and every comfort you could want. There was a bowl of fresh picked bananas and grapefruit waiting for us (you have never had a banana until you've had one that's picked fresh from the plantation - just delicious!) and beautiful floral arrangements in the bathroom and in the main room done with bird of paradise, ginger lilies, antherium lilies and lobster claw (just beautiful and again all fresh picked from the plantation). The top of our beautiful 4 post bed had a Welcome message written on it in flower petals and chenille from the chenille plant. Fresh floral petals even decorated the towels and top of the toilet paper in the bathroom. Our veranda gave us a spectacular view of the rainforest and we will never ever forget the sounds of the rainforest as night started to fall....the crickets, the frogs, the birds all in one beautiful natural symphony.....magical! In the morning we would go down to the restaurant to have a delicious breakfast where you could have things like sausage and cocunut french toast with banana syrup and fresh grapefruit and tamarind juice from the plantation (I have never tasted such delicious juice ever) and of course whatever else you may desire....my husband loved the bacon and eggs, omelets, etc. The surroundings in the restaurants are beautiful...there is lush vegatation everywhere and you could see cute little hummingbirds flitting from tree to tree... from the cottages to the restaurants, everything is so beautifully decorated and it really is amazing how seamlessly they blend all this comfort and character with the natural beauty of the rainforest.
We went on a tour of the plantation and were shown everything that is grown on the plantation from the fruit to the flowers to the cocoa to the coconuts. In fact, they picked a fresh coconut for us, put a hole and a straw in it so we could have a drink and also gave us some fresh coconut. Fresh coconut is sooo good! We were also shown how the cocoa is produced, harvested, etc. which finished off with the 'Cocarina dance'. Then we would go and enjoy the gorgeous pool area (where we ordered some Piton beer that was delivered right to us in about 4 mins.) which is surrounded by rock and amazing lush vegatation....we really felt like we were in another world! It was so beautiful, tranquil and serene and we loved it there. Then as night would start to fall we would go to the Jardin de Cacao restaurant and the rainforest would start to become alive with all the nighttime sounds and Susanney would make us some more great cocktails....and we would have some really amazing food like the cod fritters, beef jerk ribs and for dessert cocoa rum cake with cocoa rum sauce (you're on a cocoa plantation, so you must have something with cocoa in it; you won't be disappointed) and it was all sooo delicious! My husband had the exact same thing the very next night, he loved it so much! One part of our visit at Fond Doux that we really enjoyed and was really special to us was our chat with owner Lyton. What a truly gracious, welcoming, warm-spirited host he was! Lyton shared with us his values, ideals, philosophies and some of his future plans for Fond Doux as well as his dedication to sustainability and his need to give back. He really made an impression on us and to this day my husband still fondly recalls our time with Lyton and his 'lessons learned' from that day....we feel like we took a tiny piece of Lyton home with us and we certainly will always have a piece of Fond Doux in our hearts forever. This was the first time my husband and I have ever been to St. Lucia and from the initial contact via email to all the staff we encountered at Fond Doux, we felt the entire experience was magical and that we had truly found a little piece of heaven here on earth. Thanks to all at Fond Doux for the wonderful hospitality and thanks Lyton for sharing yourself and your little piece of paradise with us. We will be back!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GEMCalgary
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

My husband and two sons (ages 3 and 5) had an amazing stay here. We could not have been made to feel more welcome and the boys and we had lovely days going for walks and enjoying the adventure of being in the rain forest. Whilst we were there, our son was quite ill and the hotel staff and owner were all so lovely - finding him fresh coconut to drink from and calling in even on one staff member's day off, to check he was ok. Within 10 minutes everyone knew our kids names and were taking them off to make hot chocolate with fresh chocolate, knew which child loved mango and which preferred coconuts etc. Since we have had kids we have been staying in big resorts for the past few years and I had forgotten how nice it is to be genuinely welcomed somewhere. We left very sad to go and with my son ecstatic with his bag of mangos the owner gave him. It was a great adventure and we genuinely hope to return very soon.

It is a bit rustic type accomodation, which is part of the charm - big terrace with matching rockers was perfect. It could be made a bit more stylish by painting the insides of the huts, getting rid of a lot of the wicker lounge furniture and floral prints and also using some really good quality bed linen. I would probably lose the bit dated kitchen units in the cottages also - much nicer and more atmosphere for everyone to come to the restaurant. The pools also need some updating and could be made safer for young children.

But - I wouldn't let any of that be of any concern and if it is, then you're missing the point of the place. It's a wonderful place, beautifully run, which is a great adventure and welcoming to families (even though its geared towards couples and very peaceful, I didn't feel like my hectic kids were a problem once - and I don't think they bothered other people there) and definitely worth visiting. It's also a lovely option to combine with a resort on the beach.

Room Tip: We were in Avocado. Was great - short walk from the restaurant and quite isolated and great terrace...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HollersB
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
We are happy you made Fond Doux Holiday Plantation your preferred choice for an ideal Holiday.
Our spectacular and secluded location leads to a truly intimate and cozy ambience. We are extremely pleased that your son had a speedy recovery. Doctors recommend Coconut water for medicinal purposes as it is a Super- Hydrating, potassium packed energy drink. It is gratifying to learn that he enjoyed drinking our refreshing revitalizing beverage. As owners of this property we are always concerned about the wellbeing of our guests and we have made it our priority to look after the needs of each and every guest while vacationing on our beautiful Island of St. Lucia.
We are in the process of refurnishing our cottages and hopefully on your return visit you might fall in love with our new décor.
Your comments and Business have been greatly appreciated.
On behalf of the entire team we welcome your return.

Best Regards
st.lucia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

This was an experience unlike any other. The very layout of this resort sets it apart from all others, the lush vegetation, the tranquil setting and the unique cottage set up allows for maximum peaceful relaxation. All lends to an opportunity to truly unwind and to return to the coolness, calm and peace found in nature. Added to this, is the remarkable and noted friendly nature of every member of staff dealt with. They all assisted in their various capacities to ensure that my stay was a wonderful one. I would recommend this resort to anyone desirous of a romantic getaway

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
“Thank you for your wonderful experience”
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent visit at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation.
We are overwhelmed to know that you had an incredible experience.
Fond Doux is truly a place to unwind, relax, to find your inner peace with nature, to set free, to forget about your worries and troubles tainting the outside world.
Our sweet valley is really a place like no other-“A little piece of Paradise”.
We value such feedback and we will share such kind words to our Team and hope to welcome you back soon.
Thank you for your continued support of our beautiful resort.

Best Regrds,
boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

This surreal setting seemed like a great destination for a girlfriend getaway. a friend and myself were looking for some stress-free space, and boy did we find it. This great place had all the qualities we were looking for. It was luxurious, relaxing, a great experience. The great hospitality of the staff made us feel right at home. The surrounding landscape perfected the experience. i was overcome with a sense of serenity which i very much needed. And folks, the pictures are no gimmick, it is actually that beautiful! I absolutely loved my stay. From the great food, the amazing staff, the beautiful views, to the great rooms, i am still in awe. I'm telling you its like a scene from a movie. Hated when i had to leave, but i will definitely be back. I've recommended this place to all my friends. It would be a shame to keep this place a secret

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, May 1, 2012

We truly appreciate the posting of your recent holiday experience at our Plantation Paradise.

The quality of your warm, amazing, heartfelt review is truly rewarding for all of us at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation.

This clearly shows that you have captured the true beauty of our Tropical Garden of Eden.

We look forward to welcoming you back to another amazing experience in Paradise.

Eroline & Lyton Lamontagne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Anse Chastanet
#5 of 11 in Soufriere
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,130 reviews
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina

Been to Fond Doux Plantation & Resort? Share your experiences!