“I Fell in Love with St. Lucia”
Review of Crystals St Lucia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Soufriere
Crystals St Lucia
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We had the pleasure to spend a night at Crystals on the 8th of January. The journey began as we traveled up the long windy bumpy mountain road to Crystals. Crystals was perched on top of the mountain making for amazing views of the island. We were greeted upon arrival by Monica and her daughter. They were both so kind and made sure that every accommodation was met. The views from the rooms were miraculous and overlooked the famous Pitons. The room itself was very clean and comfortable. Additionally, the room was open which allowed for a nice breeze giving the true island feel. At night, Monica had dinner for the guests in the restaurant on the property; you must try the Rum Punch! Monica provided a great atmosphere and was a wonderful host. We will definitely be returning soon!

1  Thank Michael P
Crystals-Soufriere, Front Office Manager at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Thank you for your kind comments so well appreciated indeed I do hope you will come back again and visit us here at Crystals.

We have just put in some wonderful gardens with a large variety of flowers and fruit trees so next time you visit I hope this will bring you pleasure

Tank you again from all of us here at Crystals

There are newer reviews for Crystals St Lucia

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We just got back from St Lucia yesterday and are already missing it. A bit over priced for what you can get with other options in the area. We also stayed at another property in Soufriere for a few days. The road into Crystals is pretty rough. You will have to get a driver to the town of Soufriere or to the nearby Beaches. Expect to pay $55 for a round trip driver to and from ANSE CHASTNET BEACH. Breakfast was fair, but we would have liked if they gave us juice. There is fruit growing everywhere around the property. How can they not offer juice with breakfast? The best thing about breakfast was the Coconut Pancakes. Stop in town before you come up to make sure you get provisions. None are available onsite with the exception of happy hour. The restaurant is only open at the owners discretion. We were told it would be $40 per person but it was not served on any of the days that we were there. It is nice that all of the rooms include plunge pools but they are very cold due to not getting enough Sun. There are no locks on any of the doors. We had a boat trip planned during the week but it was cancelled the morning of our trip. Bummer! Very poor lighting in Calabash. The stove and tv did not work. We chose Crystals because of the excellent recommendation in Lonely Planet. Overall, we thought our experience was ok but would probably not return to the property. The staff were all very nice and friendly. The rooms are very unique and memorable.

2  Thank itenerantsurf
Crystals-Soufriere, Front Office Manager at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Thank you for your interesting review.

shame you did not know how to work the TV or Stove, the stove is Gas and you have to light it with a match like all the stoves on property?

The t.v you have to put it on with a remote and then press the 2nd remote to put on the cable, all Guests are usually shown this on arrival, as well this is indicated in the in house directory placed on the coffee table, but the stove one would have thought that was simple, thank you for pointing this out, we will indicate this as well to our Guests.

We do have dinner a few evenings a week however you were only on property a 2 nights and not on a dinner night and you never made any reservations, we had dinner the day before you arrived and the day after, being a small property we do not do dinner every night unless reservations are made this is indicated in several reviews and on our website plus on the bottom of every e-mail,( restaurant open on reservations only)
If you had made reservation you could have had dinner.

Breakfast

delivered to your cottage daily at any time you like

we provide in your cottage a selection of 3 different tea, coffee, at breakfast you get a large selection of fruit, bakes, coconut pancakes, eggs, fresh bread homemade jam, cheese,all complimentary. Fresh juice by the jug is on request.
I have to say breakfast is complimentary

our rates are extremely competitive that is why we got the award for being the best Value for quality and price in St Lucia, from the lonely planet and the Sunday Times travel mag, of course you can get an inexpensive guest house with no private pool or kitchen or view for less.

The private pool
would have been a bit cold as while you were here it was raining for the week so every pool would be cold, rather unfortunate i know

The cancellation of the sailing tour unfortunately had nothing to do with Crystals it is independent of Crystals, rather a shame I agree as this tour is wonderful, but such is life one takes what life brings, plus with the rain I think you would not have enjoyed it.

Happy to hear you found our accommodation unique and hope you enjoyed taking photos while you were on our Island.

You will find St Lucia destination a bit more expensive then other Islands as the Caribbean is in general, hope you will return one day as money comes and goes, you might find Crystals bit more than in your usual budget but honestly compared with other hotels of similar quality we are not.

Ops,sorry we forgot to give you a key to be honest no one hardy uses a key here and we are so used to having repeat Guests who never ask for a key that it must have slipped our minds, to mention the key is behind the door on a key ring, in fact I am not quite sure when anyone quite locked a door?
we never lock doors here, our office, bar , the owners home , all open its very very safe, nice to know still in this world we have a small safe haven.(however if you would have asked you would have been given one straight away).

We have never had an issue here but I can imagine coming from North Carolina it must be quite different.

Wishing you both Blessings for 2014 from all the Management and staff at Crystals.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I absolutely concur with the other rave reviews. Crystals is a truly amazing, magical, unique property and we felt very fortunate to have discovered it!

We stayed in Calabash, Papaya and the new Silver Palm Villa (thanks to Monica’s generosity!) during our week at Crystals and loved them all for their individual, distinctive styles. All have lovely private pools, full kitchens and fabulous Piton views.

The décor is stunning. Monica is a truly gifted designer. Martin’s craftsmanship is amazing as well – I would love his wooden chairs in my personal dining room! The furniture & furnishings are high quality in addition to being beautiful.

Calabash is a romantic treehouse cottage and you’ll feel like you’re sleeping in the elegant bed chamber of a sultan.

Papaya is amazing. The cottage is huge and if I could live there permanently, I’d be a very happy camper – the same feelings apply to the new amazing villa. The deck of Papaya is the largest of all the cottages and is magnificent. I would love to see a small table and chairs on the main deck to enjoy cocktails and a nibble while enjoying the close-up view of the Pitons… The outdoor stone shower in Papaya is heavenly.

As for the new villa… All I can say is, it’s simply sublime. I felt like I was in Italy with views of the Pitons AND the Caribbean! It’s exquisite. Leaving the villa was heartbreaking and I had to be pulled out kicking and screaming :) I hope, hope, hope we are fortunate enough to stay there again one day…

Happy hours are not to be missed. The rum punch is some of the best I’ve ever had and it gives you an opportunity to chat with the other guests as well as Monica and Martin. And if Martin is entertaining, you’re in for a real treat!

Monica, Martin and Jessica are fantastic. They are accommodating, friendly, fun, social, warm and generous. They are people you’d want as friends if you were fortunate enough to live on St. Lucia! You also get the sense that they genuinely care about the happiness of their guests.

Crystals is gem. It’s a unique blend of funky, cool, nature, elegance & sophistication - and it works beautifully & harmoniously.

I’ve had the good fortune of traveling a great deal of my life and I’ve stayed in some fantastically amazing places and Crystals rates up there with the best of them. When I travel, I seek out unique, small, boutique places to stay and I’m thrilled I found Crystals. If a traditional hotel is more your style, Crystals may not be for you but if you want to stay in a truly spectacular, unique rainforest hide-away, you can’t find a better place than Crystals.

Robyn & Rocco.

5  Thank 4EverTraveler66
Crystals-Soufriere, Guest Relations Manager at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

First of all I have to say we were all so touched by your review so kind and positive it made me want to cry.

Knowing you are such a well traveled person I know that you can appreciate the dedication hard work and love that we have put into our property, it is not just a business to us it is a way of life .

Our new Baby Silver Palm is a wonderful new addition of course a few tweets here and there like all new buildings but so far is is going well, stood up to the storm.

It was a real pleasure to have you both staying with us at Crystals and I hope one day you will make it back so may I say on behalf of all of us here at Crystals thank you and Blessings to you.

Martin Monica Jessica and all the staff at Crystals

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Where should I begin from the unique , elegant rustique furnishings to the amazing out of this world views to Monica's cooking .

My husband clayton and I stayed in the Mango for 7 days. Its furnishings were amazing . The details were perfection the views were magical . It was comfy , and felt like a second home . The harmony of the room provided the perfect feng shui .
We had a private BBQ grill which we grilled fish and a private pool in our cottage, cable and air condition which was a plus.

Crystal property is absolutely stunning . With an array of flora & fauna . You'll be surprised at what you learn. The humming birds kept coming to our cottage daily and a banana quilt. We got up at 5 am one morning and sat at our porch and watched some birds go by. When querying about them we found out it was no other then the St.Lucia Parrot ! HOW AMAZING !!!

Cocktails are the best all you can drink complimentary cocktails for an hour with all the guest and the owners ( martin & monica the sweetest host ).

Dinner nights are amazing Monica cooking is to die for . Her curried chicken happens to be my favorite , ohhh and that fish in a champagne sauce......She has many interesting stories and tips and makes your trip even more special.

Jessica is the sweetest girl you'll ever meet . She offered us a complimentary tour of Soufriere and pointed out to us hidden beaches, restaurants , and a little history about St.Lucia and tips ( where to rent snorkeling gears ) She booked us all our reservations and really went out of the way .

MARTIN IS AN AMAZING ENTERTAINER. We jammed to the Caribbean rhythm with hes guitar and keyboard .

I only got the opportunity to see the Mango & the Calabash which were completely different but yet so beautiful. ahh ! Crystals is truly amazing! I cant find the words to describe such perfection.

Crystals was beyond our wildest dreams . Keep up what you're doing !
Erica & Clayton

2  Thank jaydee433

Thank you for your extremely positive review may I say thank you on behalf of management and staff .

It is so nice to hear you enjoyed your stay wit us and took advantage to visit everything Soufriere has to offer, as well as spending time at Crystals and enjoying our Dinner nights and cocktails.

I hope you will come back again soon and perhaps get to try another one of our unique cottages

Blessing to you both and again thank you

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Taken me a while to write this but... me and my partner decided we wanted to get away somewhere special, and somewhere special is where we ended up! Right from the beginning when we saw pictures online we knew this was going to be the place for us, looked idyllic .

From the very easy booking process everything was plain sailing for our fortnight adventure away! We arrived on the island and were soon enough at crystals. Be warned, it has a very steep bumpy track up to crystals but we loved this and it added to the whole edge of the rainforest experience! We were greeted by Monica and Jessica who are some of the friendliest people we've ever met and will help you with whatever you need. We were soon settled and ready for the evenings entertainment. This is when we met Martin who was equally as warm and entertained us with his music. They would have cocktail hour most nights of the week which we thought were great...LOVED the treetop bar.

About the property:
We stayed in calabash which was ideal for us both (although we did cheekily see all the other properties on site between Martin showing us between guest arrivals or the guests showing us) so we can definitively say all the properties at crystals are absolutely fantastic so whatever one you choose you'll be delighted with. Big beds, lovely bathroom, own kitchen (although rarely used was very useful to have the option to cook) delicious breakfasts every morning and a lovely pool! As per other reviews though, a word of warning, you are on the edge of a rainforest! as Martin explains the showers run off rainwater so sometimes leaves get stuck in the system (Martin fixes this is under 2 minutes), there are mosquitoes and the pool might not be clean at 7pm. These are not negatives just letting others know that you should be aware of your surroundings and enjoy being surrounded by nature...AND VIEWS!

Monica is a great source of information so don't be afraid to ask her about her suggestions on what to see/where to go, the best restaurants to eat at etc. she didn't let us down with any suggestions. The island is absolutely beautiful and great to visit, with botanical gardens, sulphur springs/volcano, great beaches, snorkelling, boat trips all within a short drive and the more touristy north which is worth a visit for a day or two. there was never a shortage of things to see and places to go (hire a car, Monica can help you with this) but we loved coming back to crystals every night and taking in that breath-taking view of the pitons, simply amazing!

We cannot wait to come back for another stay, which will be as soon as humanly possible, a perfect holiday!
ps...try Monica's food, delicious!

Room Tip: Try the newly opened silver palm villa (this was being constructed whilst we were there, the picture...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Crystals-Soufriere, Owner at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

I thank you for the very positive review, it is so nice to know that you appreciate all we try to do at Crystals. and you enjoyed our very special Calabash tree house cottage.
I am waiting for a shipment from India of more amazing fabrics to adorn the cottages and Villas, one never stops.
I again thank you for your appreciation of Jessica indeed She is an asset in so many ways and absolutely loves working here at Crystals a long side our happy crew of employees.
I do hope you will come back and visit us again soon
all the best for 2014

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have mixed feelings writing this review, because I hate to focus on the negative in what was overall a very positive, wonderful honeymoon trip in St. Lucia! However, my husband and I discussed it and we wanted to share our experiences here as Tripadvisor was one of the main reasons we chose to stay at Crystals, and we want to make sure others like us have all the information possible when making a decision where to stay.

1. Cleanliness/upkeep is lacking. This was our main issue. Honestly had this not been an issue I could happily give Crystals 5 stars but it kind of cast a shadow on everything else. It isn't filthy, it's just below standard, especially considering they have a daily cleaning service. The cleaning service would fold our clothes and "organize" our items (my contact solution was in the kitchen per my preference and kept getting relegated back to the bathroom) but yet things were not wiped down, "new" towels we were given smelled of mildew and were threadbare (some literally had holes) that is if we received new towels at all. Several days we did not so we had to dry ourselves with hand towels. Our towel rack was broken, when we arrived. The staff just put it back on the wall without fixing it, so when a towel was removed the entire thing just fell back down. One of the bathroom faucets wasn't screwed in right. It would rotate when you turned the water on. The sheets also had a mildewy smell. Nothing was horrible, but it just gives an overall feeling of letdown in such a beautiful place, when you are on your honeymoon you want everything to feel and smell clean and work right especially after a long day of adventures in town. While we definitely understand some things are inherent being in the jungle (we did not get hot showers regularly) some of it just felt like neglect. With a small effort they could be remedied and greatly improve the satisfaction of the guests, in our opinion.

2. Not to make this whole review strangely "towel-centric" but we also had another odd incident that we felt slightly offended by. With all the "complaints" I am writing here, we stayed mostly complaint free, kind guests during our stay. We did ask for new towels, etc. but didn't grumble and did try to go with the flow as we realize that the idiosyncrasies are part of the experience we sought out at Crystals. However, one day we came back from the beach to a note on our table reading something to the extent of "Please do not take our towels down to the Sulphur Springs as this will tarnish them and we will be forced to charge you". Several pointed underlines were included under the "please" and " charge you" and it was obviously written with the incorrect assumption we had done this. Well, this nearly sent my husband into overdrive as we had not taken any of the towels out of the room. We had not even visited the Sulphur Springs yet (we didn't until days later) and, we at this point had experienced several days of going towel-less when the cleaning service didn't replace the dirty ones they took out and on a good day getting a smelly towel with holes in it. I don't know where they got this idea, but we wish it would have been discussed in person as coming home to an accusatory note was not fun.

3. As others have mentioned, it is more of a villa rental experience than a hotel. Not a problem for us, but of note. One guest upon arrival kept knocking door to door looking for reception. There is no reception! lol. If you need something, you knock on Monica's door and someone will greet you with help. The "restaurant" seems to be open at Monica's discretion so do not expect the opportunity to get a meal on premises. During our 7 night stay we didn't get the pleasure of enjoying what I heard from others was lovely cooking. Also, Jessica was out of town when we arrived so we didn't get the "Tour of Soufriere". We figured it out (the town isn't that big) but just realize this isn't a hotel with a full staff and set protocol. It is loosey-goosey. :)

GOOD THINGS:
1. Happy hour is a blast. So fun to meet with other guests and Monica & Martin to have a complimentary drink (or three) before heading out for dinner, etc. The bar area is really great and comfortable. Great ambience at night.
2. The bumpy road some people complain about is absolutely insane, but kind of an adventure in and of itself. I grew to love it! A jeep is definitely necessary.
3. The animals. There are "feral" cats who live on the property and some were just charming. It was like a cat soap opera: which cat is that male cat trying to mate with, who will show up on our deck next, what is that sound?! lol This is not to mention their adorable dog Storm, and actually surprisingly sweet German Shepherd. She has a ferocious bark but I learned later it's just her way of trying to get you over to where she is tied up to be petted. When she's free she's a sweet ball of energy.
4. Location is great. Just up the hill from the town, and it feels like a whole different world. Great view. Very local. Also nice to have more space than just a room to come back to.

Other things of note:
I will not list "mosquitoes" as a negative of Crystals because they are anywhere you go on the island. However, I did get some crazy bites during our stay, so just be prepared with bug spray. We were, and I can only imagine what I would have ended up like WITHOUT it. lol. We were also there during an unusually rainy time so maybe its not as bad normally.

The nosies from the tree frogs and crickets are very loud. But we experienced that elsewhere as well. The other inn we stayed at previously provided us with earplugs for this reason, and we were happy to have them at Crystals as well. I suggest bringing some, although you do get used to the noise after a few days.

The breakfast was more food than two people could ever eat. My favorite was the coconut pancakes.

Crystals was a really unique experience. We almost considered leaving mid-stay due to our grievances but are glad we stuck it out as we did acclimate to the lower standard than we are used to. (I think we can survive smelly towels) But should we have had to at the price we paid to stay in Papaya? We are undecided. Either way we will have memories for a lifetime. Sometimes even the negative things make great stories later (hey remember that time in St. Lucia we took a cold outdoor shower in the rain and then had to use a washcloth to dry off?) even writing it now makes me laugh. Just be aware of that. If you have a low tolerance for imperfection then Crystals is 100% not for you.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rachel F
Crystals-Soufriere, Front Office Manager at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

At times one gets Clients who love the idea to stay in a property on the edge of the rain forest , however coming from a large city then expect it to be like home.

Crystals has Guests from all over the world most well traveled who have been there did that and now looking for something quite different.

Reception ) lol) we have 7 villas and cottage and live bang in the middle of them, our door is open 24 hours to any one .

WE do have an office/ reception of course but rarely bring Guests ti the formal office area

We do not just a key and get you to sign a bunch of papers,
quite the opposite instead we have a staff member take you on a tour of the town at the same time give you an orientation about Soufriere and Crystals and where to go and what to do.

Evening we host a cocktails and again available to give our information .

We do have hot water in all our cottage solar and if one does not get hot water we even have a back up switch to turn on to the power!

Papaya even has 2 showers one inside one outside

we have a very unique restaurant open on reservations only and for Crystals Guests(no none residence usually about 3 times a week but again depends on the guests as each villa has its own kitchen and BBq.

We do have a notice in all the villa asking Guests to please not take out our beautiful (threadbare lol what a fabrication ) towels off property , and should one require a beach/sulfur spring towel we can supply this.(the sulfur stains the towel). our towels we do use for the springs are not the best of towels to say the least so one is encouraged to bring their own beach towels.

Wishing you all the best for 2014
thank you Guys for your support and Blessing to all

Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from 10 nights at Crystals: 6 nights at Calabash and 4 in the Sugar Cane.
Both had fabulous views of the Pitons and the rainforest, I don't think you could get better views anywhere!
They were also both very private and although Crystals is expanding, you can tell that the owners will ensure that each villa maintains that sense of seclusion.
We rented a vehicle and were so glad we did as Crystals is really high up in the hills as well as being quite far off from the main road. Also there is no sign from the road (which I think helps keep it private) so I have included a photo of the bench beside the rough road where you turn.. . You will also want a vehicle to explore the rest of this enchanting island.
While the Sugar Cane has an amazing outdoor space, as far as the villas themselves we preferred the layout of the Calabash. (It is a bit difficult to use the living room at the Sugar Cane although it looks lovely, we would sit around the impressive large table instead.) And as much as we would prefer to be outside enjoying the views and pool, it rains quite a bit so sometimes you have to be inside...in which case we enjoyed the Calabash better.
Breakfasts were great and filling, delivered to our villa at the time we liked. The hosts and staff are very nice, Monica even offered us a villa free of charge for a night when it looked like our flight home to Toronto may have been canceled!
I would highly recommend Crystals to anyone who wants to visit the most beautiful and genuine part of St. Lucia. But for the overly pragmatic, understand that this is the Caribbean--not everything works perfectly--from little leaks to poor water pressure and muddy roads, you just have to slip into that easygoing mindset and go with the flow...its nothing a good rum punch can't fix!

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Simone01
Crystals-Soufriere, Front Office Manager at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

First of all we would like to say all the best for 2014 and wishing you both Health happiness and lots of Blessings.

So happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us it was a real pleasure to have you both here and we noticed that you did it all out everyday taking advantage of what Soufriere has to offer.

Calabash I have to say is one of the most popular cottages being very intimate with of course great views. happy to hear you enjoyed it.

Thank you for sending in a positive review we appreciate it.

take care and have ag ood year
Martin Monica and Jessica and all the staff at Crystals