“A fantastic stay”
Review of Crystals St Lucia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Soufriere
Crystals St Lucia
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Crystals is a fantastic property.

I live in saint Lucia. A few months ago my boyfriend and and i decided we wanted to get away from the busy city. And where better to go than crystals? A place I have been meaning to visit for years.

our room was comfortable and clean. We woke woke up to an amazing view each morning and went to sleep in a 4 poster king size bed each night. A luxury I could get used to.

We never had to leave our room. All the historical sites we wanted to visit could be seen from the pool, the pitons and the Sulphur springs :)

It was a fantastic stay. If I could I would live at crystals haha

And I must Thank the Gracious hosts Monica and martin for fulfilling all our wishes.

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank megan128273
Crystals-Soufriere, Manager at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you Megan for your review and your kind words so well appreciated.

I have to say I have quite a few locals come to visit for a special occasion honeymoon anniversary .
We do not advertise so all reservations on Island come via word of mouth and to me this is the best way.

I hope to see you here again

Blessings Monica and Martin

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Good for a RUSTIC cottage experience. Monica and Martin are fabulous. Jessica has to be one of the sweetest people my wife and I have met, she truly is a gem of a person! Crystals is unique and very much off the beaten path. However, my wife and I are seasoned travelers and I simply feel compelled to provide additional insights to help you make an informed decision. So... you CAN make this place work but there are some important considerations:

1. You are up on a ridge - which provides for the great view but you need to realize if it's 4:30PM, you got a bit of daylight left, and you'd like a quick evening beach swim, you're out of luck. What about that beach shuttle? Someone will run you to Soufriere Beach on the bottom of the hill but only at DESIGNATED drop off and pick up times. You can make the shuttle work but just something to factor in. A word about Soufriere Beach... the beach itself is pretty but feel like getting hustled?? You won't get a moments rest as locals ask questions, provide directions you weren't looking for, or try to sell you on trinkets all in an attempt to get money. Be mentally prepared for this in any of the local towns and it's quite disconcerting because it's an aggressive approach and it doesn't stop. Feel like being hustled?? Read: the resort areas keep this at bay and I would recommend going to other beaches, effectively removing the option to go to the local Crystals beach.*

2. What about those personal room pools for that evening dip? Yes, I thought about that too when booking. Crystals is an eco-friendly hotel so the pools are a collection of rainwater. Ahhhhh... sounds endearing, right? I really love this pool of collected rainwater and the view from the pool. But you need to understand your locale: the mountain side, living in the jungle (which is why we booked, to get away from manicured resorts) but the reality is there are many bugs and items that get into those rainwater pools. Yes, they are cleaned every morning, but one of the reasons I didn't give this hotel 5 stars is that the pool filtration system is really poor. The morning cleaning (only removing the floating debris) just cannot keep up with the rest of the day and every time I got in, I would kick up a debris field that had sunk to the pool floor. Determined to make this pool work I grabbed the pool net and spent an hour cleaning it myself and got it "tolerable". For Crystals to make this pool inviting for guests they must invest in a modern & POWERFUL filtration system - what they have now only moves dead insects and leaf bits from one end of the pool to the other. My wife couldn't bring herself to take more than one dip and the debris on the floor rendered the pool useless for us. There are other good aspects to this place, this is just an FYI.

3. Off the beaten path. If you opt to stay here, you absolutely need to rent a vehicle: let's say you just got in from your flight and took the long and expensive cab ride to Crystals. You haven't eaten in awhile and you think, no problem, I'll just stroll to the bar area for a burger or whatever you'd like to eat. Nope! No on-site restaurant. But you can go eat a few miles away (you need a car). Monica's cooking is out-of-this world!! She is a super, super chef BUT she's not always available (Monica does not cook the breakfast). *Beaches: I would recommend going to other beaches such as Jade, Sugar beach, or any of the resort beaches but all of that requires a rented car because the taxi is expensive.

4. Wifi - they shouldn't advertise they have wifi at all. Want to check flight info or a quick email? You'll find yourself seeking the small shaded area where the spotty signal comes through (which isn't really designed for guests, it's the owner's wifi that bleeds through the wall). So you end up standing, crouching, hunting for signal strength, have fun.

Overall, this was a good stay. The tree bar area comes alive at night and Monica & Martin are a blast to sing with and they are gracious & truly fantastic hosts. The sense of community and meeting other cottage guests was the highlight of staying at Crystals for us, you won't get this at traditional resorts. The best way to sum this up: nothing in St. Luica is cheap and Crystals is priced appropriately for what they deliver. If your expectations are managed from the above and you have a car to get yourself around, you'll have a fun and unique cottage experience with tons of heart at Crystals.

Room Tip: Papaya Cottage is the only option. If booked, stay here when it's available.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Chasing_Sunsets01
Crystals-Soufriere, Front Office Manager at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you for your review and point of view.

Crystals is located on a ridge five minutes drive from the town of Soufriere and the Hummingbird beach.

we run our pools off rain water so of course when we have heavy rains you will get leaves from the trees and at night could get insects , but it is not dirty just nature and persons who travel to the rain forest might experience things a bit different.
we do have the best quality pool filter systems on all our pools,, however while you were here we were experiencing strong winds and rain due to a tropical wave , so of course the use of a pool in an evening would not be the best of things to indulge in.

Our restaurant we open on reservation only, for lunch we have room service and a menu list is in each cottage, this is available from 11 to 3. as we open only for in house Guests and most of our Guests are out in the day.
No burger and fries here at all only fresh organic goods fresh salads fish, homemade bread for sandwiches, with fresh grilled chicken for example,.

Crystals is back to nature we try not to cut a tree , use rain water , growing our own organic foods and keep the environment as natural and as unspoiled as possible

If you are looking for unlimited fast foods hot dogs and burger, manicured gardens Crystals is not for you.

Our website is a true picture of Crystals 90% of the photos provided by our Guests, we do not want to be a cookie cutter hotel but what we are"Crystals" back to nature.

I am glad overall you enjoyed your stay with us and it was a pleasure to have you both here and hope you guys will come and visit again soon.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I just returned home from an amazing 10 days at Crystals. We spent 5 nights in sugarcane and then we were treated to an unexpected upgrade to the papaya cottage. The views from both cottages were breathtaking! Every morning we looked forward to that knock on the door for breakfast-yummy fried plantains and delicious cocoa tea! As a chef at a highly rated restaurant I usually cook for my husband and I every night but on our last night we enjoyed a scrumptious coconut pineapple chicken at crystals. A recipe I will surely use. Our trip was picture perfect. Concluded with nature tours and daily visits to the beach.crystals is a hidden gem. A special, romantic place for newly weds.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank klongville
Crystals-Soufriere, Manager at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you for your review so well appreciated, we are happy you enjoyed your stay with us at Crystals .
Our dinner nights are rather special and the fact that you enjoyed it being a top chef is delightful, we are honored for you to use our pineapple coconut chicken recipe.
Crystals is not a resort but a unique boutique hotel offering a true St Lucian experience and valued by Clientele like you appreciating our vision to keep away from the traditional type of property .
I wish you both well and looking forward to seeing you both here soon

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Mosquitoes were not a major problem for as as we had fear , Yes we did get bitten here and there however we recommend incentives which took care of them.
I encountered no other problems like the previous reviews, I did get hot water every day, though the pressure was low one day, martin explain they run on run water and being at the edge of a rainforest sometimes meant that leaves get stuck in the system. However this took a minute and our pressure was back .

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Magarita M
Crystals-Soufriere, Manager at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Well I do thank you for being so kind to let the community know about the mosquito situation on Island and knowledge of our water system.

I am sure you enjoyed your stay as you did mention this to us on several occasions

It was a pleasure to have had you both here so I thank you and hope you will spread the word and come again and visit soon.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the first 5 nights of our 7 night honeymoon. We had originally booked Crystals for 7 nights and took advantage of a deal where we paid for 5 nights but stayed for 7. We stayed in the Mango cottage for the duration.

First of all, Monica, Martin, and Jessica are incredibly gracious, receptive, and warm. They were there to answer our questions and help us find places to eat and beaches to visit. They also were ready to offer us a drink in the evenings which was nice. I am very sensitive and almost allergic to mosquito bites so they helped us find incense that would help keep the bugs away. Needless to say, I still ended up with welts but we knew that would happen before we booked based on the wooded location.

Our cottage was beautiful and we actually felt as though we had full reign over a house (the cottage has 2 bedrooms)! The decor was wonderful. Candles everywhere (even though most of them didn't have working wicks or were burned out...this may have been a safety issue). We especially loved that at night it was very windy up on the mountain, which made for a cozy night. We slept incredibly well.

Breakfast was good but repetitive. We had an egg dish and coconut pancakes everyday with the variety coming from a different pastry or bread and fruit every morning. This got a little annoying and we ended up just eating the bread/pastry and the beautiful fruit by the end of our stay.

We had spent our first 5 days exploring and were away from Crystals for most of the day. This was an absolutely perfect way to enjoy Crystals. However, on the 5th evening, we spent the afternoon at the cottage. During this time we found it very difficult to relax as there was near constant dog barking and the neighbors next door have a big family and we heard crying and scolding nearly all afternoon/evening. The next morning, a loud generator was turned on a 8am and there is construction going on the immediately surrounding area during the week. At this time in our trip we knew that we would want to relax during the day so we decided to look elsewhere in the area.

We ended up getting a last minute deal at Sugar Beach and had an absolutely amazing end to our honeymoon.

Overall, these are my suggestions:

1. Crystals is a great place to stay for a more economical trip, but truly think about the experience that you would like for your honeymoon. If it's rustic and laid back-go for it! You will love this place.

2. Get a rental car with 4x4. The road to Crystals is bumpy and can get muddy.

3. We did a sailing trip on one of the days that was recommended by Crystals. It was enjoyable but could have had much better snorkeling gear and we ended up waiting on the beach for the boat for probably an hour. We ended up taking a water taxi 20 minutes away to meet the boat. I think there was a bit of a communication disconnect.

4. Make sure you buy the extras (dishwashing soap/sponges, coffee, water, etc) because the kitchen is very basic and breakfast doesn't include coffee. Monica loaned us some which was very nice but we didn't expect to make our own coffee if breakfast was included.

5. We were excited about the dinner and dancing night that was going to happen but it was pushed back to later in the week twice so we missed it :(.

We loved that the bathrooms use recycled rain water but it makes for low water pressure and some frequent needs for servicing. We had one day with no hot water because it needed to be fixed. If you're fine with that kind of stuff, you will have a great time!

Room Tip: Papaya has a beautiful deck overlooking the Pitons. Try to get this one.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jilian B
Crystals-Soufriere, Front Office Manager at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Happy to hear you enjoyed our property!
Crystals is enjoyed by many honeymooners, in fact 85% of our Guests come here to celebrate their wedding and return year after year.

We do indeed have a bumpy road, as our website also identifies. however it is no different from any other off-road property on the island.

Crystals is a unique, boutique hotel and we do our best to keep it that way. Crystals offers a true description of life in the paradise island of St. Lucia.

Upon arrival, the rooms are stocked with a bottle of champagne, coffee, a global selection of teas, milk, sugar and water. We tell our guests that once these amenities are depleted we will not replenish them. However for those guests who did not read the literature or forgot what was said during the orientation, we will of course offer them more.

Our complimentary breakfast is all local. We offer home made bread and bakes, pancakes, egg, a variety of seasonal fruit, and plantain. Our villas are also equipped with full kitchens for guests who wish to cook for themselves.

All sailing tours are independent of Crystals. We only book the trips. We have not heard very many complaints concerning the tour and so we continue to recommend it to our guests.

Crystals is run on rain water in an effort to "go green" because of this, guests may at times experience low pressure in the showers. However this can be rectified in minutes after being notified.

I wish you both well and a happy life together.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

In summary, i agree with many things that Luv2globetrot mentioned in their below review of Crystals and the Papaya cottage. To reiterate what has already been said, Monica and Martin were superb hosts and their daughter Jessica was more than a pleasure to work with. She took us to town to get our temporary driving permit and gave us a tour of the town with her recommendations. The driveway up to the property definitely requires a 4x4 jeep and Monica set us up with Andre who was SO nice and picked us up from the airport and drive us to Crystals in our rental car(Jeep), we would have surely gotten lost otherwise. The bugs were pretty bad so just go knowing that you will need bug spray and plug in coils in addition to tucking in the mosquito net each night. The open shudders, which cannot be closed, brought a lot of bugs and moisture in when it rained which is likely why our bath towels smelled like wet dogs. It was difficulty to dry off after a shower knowing you were going to smell even worse from the towel. Hot water was definately in short supply so be quick in the shower.
AC was only in the bedroom and the TV/Internet was in the living room so that was not ideal.
Other than that this was really a unique way to have your own private cottage with pool and the most amazing view from the deck. The daily breakfast was great and we were usually too full to eat lunch afterwards.
If you can deal with the minor annoyances above then this is an absolute MUST and the price cannot be beat, trust me i've done my research.
We spent the 1st 4 nights of our honeymoon here and the last 4 at The Landings up North which was the perfect change of scenery from Crystals after 4 days. (I have reviewed The Landings as well). It was the best way to get the best of both worlds as well as two very different sides of the island.
Drink as much of the local Piton beer as you can, it's amazing!

Room Tip: Papaya cottage hands down, full size kitchen, living room, breakfast room and bedroom, with a spare...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katie S
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Just got back from our stay in St Lucia and Crystals. We were there for a week and started in Mango cottage before moving into Papaya for the last 5 nights. Both cottages are completely unique and fabulous. Showering outside is really lovely. The views - amazing. Breakfasts - really lovely. The mosquitoes were everywhere, but then you're in the forest and staying in May meant there was a lot of rain too. There are nets over the nets which we recommend using. Also we purchased some spray and coils which kept them away as much as possible.

Crystals' true charm lies with its hosts. Monica and Martin. Whilst we were there, they made every effort possible to ensure we had a good trip. Happy hour was lots of fun every evening (if you wanted it!). In particular, Monica put us in touch with Andrew who hired us a 4x4 for the week and I couldn't find anything anywhere else that even looked at matching his prices. We thoroughly enjoyed having the independence of a vehicle. Almost essential if you want to get out of the hotel. It really is in the middle of nowhere on the top of a hill! We also wanted to go fishing whilst there. Monica arranged it all and it was superb. Again very well priced. It was great to have such confidence in them both and know that whatever and wherever they recommended was going to be worth it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple