“Beautiful and Unique but lacking some creature comforts” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crystals

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Soufriere
Crystals
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Houston, Texas
“Beautiful and Unique but lacking some creature comforts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

In summary, i agree with many things that Luv2globetrot mentioned in their below review of Crystals and the Papaya cottage. To reiterate what has already been said, Monica and Martin were superb hosts and their daughter Jessica was more than a pleasure to work with. She took us to town to get our temporary driving permit and gave us a tour of the town with her recommendations. The driveway up to the property definitely requires a 4x4 jeep and Monica set us up with Andre who was SO nice and picked us up from the airport and drive us to Crystals in our rental car(Jeep), we would have surely gotten lost otherwise. The bugs were pretty bad so just go knowing that you will need bug spray and plug in coils in addition to tucking in the mosquito net each night. The open shudders, which cannot be closed, brought a lot of bugs and moisture in when it rained which is likely why our bath towels smelled like wet dogs. It was difficulty to dry off after a shower knowing you were going to smell even worse from the towel. Hot water was definately in short supply so be quick in the shower.
AC was only in the bedroom and the TV/Internet was in the living room so that was not ideal.
Other than that this was really a unique way to have your own private cottage with pool and the most amazing view from the deck. The daily breakfast was great and we were usually too full to eat lunch afterwards.
If you can deal with the minor annoyances above then this is an absolute MUST and the price cannot be beat, trust me i've done my research.
We spent the 1st 4 nights of our honeymoon here and the last 4 at The Landings up North which was the perfect change of scenery from Crystals after 4 days. (I have reviewed The Landings as well). It was the best way to get the best of both worlds as well as two very different sides of the island.
Drink as much of the local Piton beer as you can, it's amazing!

Room Tip: Papaya cottage hands down, full size kitchen, living room, breakfast room and bedroom, with a spare...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katie S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Just got back from our stay in St Lucia and Crystals. We were there for a week and started in Mango cottage before moving into Papaya for the last 5 nights. Both cottages are completely unique and fabulous. Showering outside is really lovely. The views - amazing. Breakfasts - really lovely. The mosquitoes were everywhere, but then you're in the forest and staying in May meant there was a lot of rain too. There are nets over the nets which we recommend using. Also we purchased some spray and coils which kept them away as much as possible.

Crystals' true charm lies with its hosts. Monica and Martin. Whilst we were there, they made every effort possible to ensure we had a good trip. Happy hour was lots of fun every evening (if you wanted it!). In particular, Monica put us in touch with Andrew who hired us a 4x4 for the week and I couldn't find anything anywhere else that even looked at matching his prices. We thoroughly enjoyed having the independence of a vehicle. Almost essential if you want to get out of the hotel. It really is in the middle of nowhere on the top of a hill! We also wanted to go fishing whilst there. Monica arranged it all and it was superb. Again very well priced. It was great to have such confidence in them both and know that whatever and wherever they recommended was going to be worth it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank elliecowan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

My partner and I have been coming back to Crystals for the past 6 years and we will be back again! Monica and Martin are very professional and friendly hosts, they are so welcoming and they made sure that we had everything we needed and wanted. We have stayed in 5 different villas and they are so fantastic!!!! We felt like we were in paradise, actually we were in paradise!!! The views are picture perfect, the Pitons and sulpher springs are in every villas view. Every villa has their own pools, and breakfast is served every morning to your room and dinner (5 course meals!!) is in the treetop restaurant! wow!!! the food is delicious! We all mingle with the guests and are entertained by Martin, we all end up dancing and singing to Bob Marley tunes. It is like we are in another world. There is nothing negative we can say about Crystals. We love it very much, and will be back next year again. It brought out the passion in our relationship again and couples need a place to be romantic and lovey dovey and Crystals is that get away.

Room Tip: they are all fantastic
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Candice M
Nashua, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I so much wanted to be totally in love with this place. I read all the rave reviews and just knew we were going to love it.....and there WAS a lot we did love about it. Indeed there are many wonderful qualities about this unique, small hotel.
Unfortunately for us, there were a few too many things that disappointed us and overall gave us a negative feeling about the hotel.

First I will start by saying that the reason I chose this hotel was for the spectacular setting and the amazing views! And the price.
Of course we would have loved to have stayed at Jade Mountain except for the outrageous price tag. At Crystals we stayed in the largest of the cottages (Papaya) and in my opinion the rate for that room (actually more like a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom house) cannot be beat. We booked for a week and got a rate of $250/night.
When you think about the fact that Jade’s rates START around $1000 a night, to me there is no way that is worth it.

Another reason I chose this place was because it has air conditioning...Jade does not, as all of their rooms have “no 4th wall” and are open-air concept.
I knew that my husband and I would be miserable trying to sleep without air conditioning so this was a must-have for us.
So, Crystals ticked another box for us. So far so good.

However once there, the day to day of being in the cottage for most of some days (since our goal was to spend our days relaxing and enjoying the view) got to wear on us.

Keep in mind that what bothers us may not affect you in the least...everyone’s different.
So I will just tell you our opinion and then you can judge for yourself whether this is the place for you.

The air conditioning in Papaya is only in the main bedroom. The rest of the house is not air-conditioned. This would not normally be an issue except for the fact that there are no screens on any of the windows or doors and so when you open them to let the breeze in, the bugs come in as well. Apparently this was a really bad time of year for bugs because we were being eaten alive. And it wasn’t just us...each day when we’d meet the other guests at happy hour it was always a topic of conversation (and each showing off all their bites to the others). And we continuously put on bug spray, but it just didn’t help much.

The house was just not designed properly to keep bugs out. There were a couple of windows that had no glass at all, just louvered shutters, none of the doors shut completely and in the bedroom the exterior walls were composed of large planks of wood with big gaps in between, so bugs are getting in no matter what.
I know there are those who will say, “you’re in the tropics, there will be bugs” but that doesn’t have to be the case if you have screens on windows and doors. At most hotels (even in the tropics), once you close your doors you can pretty much expect not to have tons of mosquitoes flying around.
The typical occasional tropical creatures like geckos are to be expected but the hordes of mosquitoes made for a miserable time.

Our other issue was the lack of hot water for showers. The most we ever had for a shower was maybe 2-5 minutes worth...most days we had no hot water at all.
This was another topic common to the other guests as well, so it definitely wasn’t just our room.
They use rooftop solar heaters and they just don’t seem capable of keeping up.

They advertise free wi-fi but it is only in the common area, not in any of the rooms.
A simple extra router or two here and there would solve that problem and is something I think they should invest in, as it seemed clear that most guests would congregate in the common area to connect for a bit.

Also, the place seems to be under constant renovation...they are continually adding on, which is not necessarily bad. But it did seem that some of the current rooms may be being neglected to focus on the newer parts.

The quandary for me is that if we ever did go back to St. Lucia I don’t really see any other hotel as a better alternative when considering price and amenities.
Sure there are other hotels with breathtaking views but $1000/nt and no a/c, no thanks. And I looked into Stonefield Estates which seemed to have great views and rooms with air conditioning, but they quoted me rates starting at over $500/nt.

Again, there were many really great things about Crystals as you can see from all the other reviews, but this was our experience and it seemed that the other guests that we met were having similar experiences and feelings. And when you meet up at dinner and hear other negative experiences it kind of puts a damper on your whole attitude of the place.

Great things:
-THE VIEW! THE VIEW! THE VIEW!

-Can’t say enough good things about Jessica! She was so friendly, very helpful and went out of her way to do everything to make our stay better. I actually felt bad for her as most of our issues were not of her doing and there wasn’t much she could do. We did decide to cut our trip short a couple of days and she spoke with the owner, Monica about letting us go early without paying a penalty (as our rate was a special based on a 7 night stay).
She even did a free orientation tour of downtown with us in our rental car.

-The size of the rooms was amazing. Each one is basically a self-contained house with full kitchen (large fridge, oven, stove, all utensils and ccokware, coffee maker).
And I loved the quirky decor! It is most definitely like no other place you’ll stay.
And we got a chance to see 2 other rooms, Mango and Sugar Cane. They are impressive as well. But be assured Papaya has the best view and is the only one with a covered patio that also has the view. Some rooms have no covered patio and in the ones that do, you cannot see the view from them. Papaya has the best of both worlds. It is certainly a bonus to have some shade to sit out and enjoy the view.

-The breakfasts. Some people didn’t like that it is the same everyday but that was fine with us because we loved it! Yummy coconut pancakes, scrambled eggs, basket of breads with butter and jams, and assorted fruits.

-The complimentary happy hour every evening where Monica would host and serve everyone her rum punch, wine or beer (and refill you as well). Nice touch!

When I first read all these reviews and read about the dinners where you meet all the guests I wasn’t sure that would be our thing. But we quickly found this to be a nice treat...getting to meet the other guests and socializing. One night Monica’s husband Martin’s band (mostly his own family members) played and it literally turned into a dance party. I read about this here on TA and didn’t think we’d go for it...it was irresistible and one of our more pleasant memories of our stay.

So, all in all, Monica, Martin and Jessica do a great job making you feel welcome and keeping you entertained. It’s just that there are some aspects that could be improved upon.
If indeed they made some of these changes we would most certainly return. Otherwise, we would either have to fork over more cash to stay at Stonefield or look into some of the resorts in Castries.

Room Tip: Papaya definitely has the best views and the only one with large covered patio with the view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank luv2globetrot
Crystals-Soufriere, Public Relations Manager at Crystals, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
I thank you for your kind comments and the photos, shame that the mosquitoes were such an issue for you but I can assure you you get mosquito's every where including stone field and Jade, it just depends on the climate and at the moment we do have lot more than average even in our sugar cane cottage (that is more traditional and all sealed a mosquito can get it) Unfortunately mosquito's do not know one property from the next even though I have informed them they are not welcome at Crystals....................................
all our cottages are renovated all the time we just put in a new bathroom in papaya very recently and new deck and furnishings in the bedroom, nice to hear you appreciated our cottages.

We do have a new Villa due to open soon that will be amazing like all the others but 5 times the size.with amazing views and a massive swimming pool for extra luxury, of course you might get an odd mosquito.

Blessings
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Crystals in the beginning of May and had a great time. Monica and Martin were wonderful hosts and made us feel at home! We stayed in the Sugar Cane cottage and it had beautiful views. The furniture was gorgeous as well. Breakfast was delicious-fresh fruits, omelet, breads, and pancakes! Monica hosted a delicious dinner as well. The only down side to staying at Crystals is the location-it is up a very bumpy dirt road, but the taxis will pick you up! I recommend buying supplies in town like water and snacks since Crystals isn't your typical hotel.

Kendall was our driver/tour guide for two days and he took us to all of the tourist attractions in Soufriere including the market to get fresh fruits as well as to some "off the beaten path" places! We also enjoyed our trip into Castries with him! I recommend hiring Kendall when you arrive, he is very knowledgeable, friendly, and will plan the day for you.

I'm really glad we chose Crystals and not Sandals! However, if you are looking for the social scene, do not stay at Crystals! Stay at Crystals if you are looking for something laid back and relaxing! I look forward to staying at Crystals again!

Room Tip: I would pick another cottage besides Sugar Cane. It was great, but I think the other cottages were b...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarahas12
Crystals-Soufriere, Public Relations Manager at Crystals, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
I thank you that you took time to send in such a kind review and that you enjoyed your time with us at Crystals.

Yes as our website indicates the public road up to Crystals is rather bumpy and I think that is being kind, haha still it is only about 100 yards, thank goodness that is why we strongly recommend a 4x4 vehicle.

Sugar cane cottage is in fact the same size as Calabash but a different design it is more closed in and traditional, but quite a bit smaller than the others I agree with you, but of course kinder on the pocket..

We have our new Villa silver Palms due to open in a few months, its going to be amazing so I hope when you come back we can give you a complimentary upgrade ....................this villa is very large one can hold a parry of 30 persons in the lounge area alone ,

well again so nice to hear from you and happy you took the time
all the bet to you both
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We spent our last three nights here. First off I really feel that they to put up a sign up so that visitors can actually find the place! These guys set us up real well. They got us a non hassle car rental, and they also set us up with an upgrade. This is a family run biz with loads of charm. The do their best to make sure you are well looked after and that you enjoy your vacation. Each morning starts off with a fantastic breakfast that you sit and eat on your balcony which has a superb view. The pool that we had was low on water, they said it was dry season and water is a but of a problem. Every few night there seems to be a cocktail hour and they do also serve dinner some nights. This of a great location on the island and.I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Nicq
Crystals-Soufriere, Public Relations Manager at Crystals, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
I do thank you for your very kind comments and happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Crystals.
I do apologize for your private pool being a bit lower than normal while you were here St Lucia was experiencing a period of no rain for months so extra water topping up the pools had to be trucked in and of course everyone wanting to truck water in at the same time!
We do have our own truck up and running now(at last) so this should I hope solve the problem.

Happy to hear you enjoyed our breakfast and dinners we do all organic and homemade foods from our breads and pastries to homemade jams , or infamous coconut pancakes and banana breads are enjoyed by all.

We have our new Villa Silver Palms opening up soon so I hope you will come back and pay us a visit and enjoy a complimentary upgrade, I am sure you will never want to leave.

all the best for the rest of the year
from the Crystals Family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Myself and my other half spent 5 nights in the Papaya cottage in February 2013 and can only highly recommend people pay them a visit. The cottage was incredible and only bettered by the deck with private pool and BBQ. We both could not have asked for a better experience and is definitely on the list of places to go back to. The breakfasts were cracking too.

We also had the pleasure of meeting Kendal through Crystals who acted as our guide taking us on fantastic trips. Again, we would definitely recommend using kendal's services whilst you are there.

Overall I don't think you could find a better place to stay in St Lucia, with the hosts, accomodation and breakfasts all better than excellent.

Room Tip: The deck in Papaya Cottage is worth a trip to St Lucia alone.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple