“Great time- but a few things could be better”
Review of Crystals

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Soufriere
Crystals
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
new york
“Great time- but a few things could be better”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had a nice stay at Crystals. The location is great- up on a hill with beautiful views and close enough to everything to be convenient, but just far enough away that you feel the peace and quiet you want on a trip. In terms of the property, the cottages are great as they have tons of space (more than you probably need!), kitchen, living room, bedroom- definitely no complaints there! We stayed in the Mango and our only issue was the upstairs bathroom, which is part of the master bedroom didnt have a door. My husband and I pretty comfortable with each other, but you know, a door and some privacy is nice too-- so we ended up using the downstairs bathroom more often which was kind of annoying. A door is a small add on that would make the upstairs a bit nicer.
The breakfast every day is great. I have NO idea how anyone could complain about it. The coconut pancakes are great and you get eggs and fruit AND a basket of bread with jam and butter. Plenty of food.
Monica and Martin are great- fabulous hosts. Monica does her best to make sure you are happy and upon request is very helpful in giving tips and suggestions of places to go and things to do.
Now, in terms of what could make the place better or why it is not for everyone---There are 5 dogs on the property who are very nice and sweet but yes,they do bark a lot. My husband and I own a dog and we love dogs so we didnt care but if I was not a dog person I dont think I would have been so happy. There are no screens on the windows- which on the one hand makes it feel very relaxing to have the unobstructed views and breezes coming through, but that did lead to mosquitos in the cottage. There is A/C which I do recommend people use at night- or make sure to get under you mosquito netting! There are also stray/wild cats on the property but they keep to themselves and never bothered us Our cottage was nice but at times felt very dark- a few brigther lights would have made a world of difference- especially at night when we were trying to cook.
Also, the place runs on rain water so they suggest you drink bottled water. I'm fine with that, but it would have been nice upon arriving after a long day of travel to have a few complintary bottles of water in the cottage. or a note that told us that vs. us having to ask if the water was ok to drink.
There is a welcome book in the cottage but it doesnt list out any restuarants to go to or their favorite places like which sites/beaches they recommend. It would have been nice to have that. Monica is more than happy to offer suggestions but it would be nice to have that list and not always have to ask for directions and suggestions.
Happy hour is great and we were lucky to be staying there at the same time as a nice group of friends who we really enjoyed speaking to and meeting.
Overall I woudl absolutely recommend Crystals and can imagine going back there, but there are a couple of things that could help make the place better and it might not be for everyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jwharper
Crystals-Soufriere, Public Relations Manager at Crystals, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for your very kind review and happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us here at Crystals.

sorry to hear if the dogs barking annoyed you this is in fact rare we get remarks on our dogs barking it is just we are putting on a new roof on the new Villa and the dogs are not used to new persons on property so when the new workers arrive and when they leave they do bark I have to say , by next week (I hope the roof will be complete) so i hope then the dogs will just bark on occasions as dogs do.

The Dogs are very friendly and have been on property for 8 years( apart from two ) and in 8 years I received only 2 complaints and that is just recently.

Mango new wonderful bathroom is very unique and like other hotels on the island have this open concept ,that if you do stand and look in the door you will see your partner but if you are at all conscious of your partner then Mango does have 3 showers two inside and one outside and two bathrooms one with a traditional door.

Crystals is rather different from your traditional hotels as our website and reviews indicates so we do have some funky aspects.

Ref Restaurant list ....we used to do this and recommend restaurant on the list but then we would get Guests come back and more or less tell us off that the restaurant we recommend food was not good and so on, so we decided not to do a list and if anyone asks our opinion give them our personal preference, as you know you can not please everyone and Monica who has been a hotel Manager for 25 years and has implemented things in the past(like a restaurant list)

We have a Guests directory indicating our water situation and it is probably advisable to purchase drinking water however we do treat our water so one can drink it , Monica or Jessica verbally indicates this to all Guests on arrival(just in case one does not read the Guests directory) , you do receive as well on arrival complimentary bottle of champagne, milk , ground coffee, tea, sugar and complimentary cocktails on arrival. most hotels on Island and overseas you are lucky to get some rather horrid instant coffee and dried milk only.

Crystals is a family run villa Boutique hotel /Inn as it is hard to put Crystals in any categories, its'Crystals"

W are different and not like a traditional cookie cutter hotel and in fact go out of our way not to be, most of our Guests who come to Crystals have been recommended or are repeat Guests so know what to expect in a good way of course and enjoy the fact we are different , from our unique design to our hand made furnishings and of course our views most of all we pride ourselves in our hospitality here at Crystals.

Again thank you for staying with us at Crystals and it would be a pleasure to see you both back here again soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I wish I could give Crystals a 4.5 but because I really don’t want to discourage anyone, I will give it a 5 and not a 4. My few negative are more in the “be aware’ category not “beware.” As stated multiple times, Crystals is not for everyone but if it’s what you’re looking for – it can be fantastic. We are very glad we stayed there. It is a unique, if quirky, place – which is exactly what we look for in accommodations.
For all the reasons stated by Susan (Feb 18 review), I recommend Crystals. I agree that the number one reason is staff. Monica and Jessica are wonderful hosts – shoot, I thought we were special since they were so nice to us and now I re-read the reviews and see they are that nice to everyone! ;-) And as stated, Monica is a great cook.
Also at the top of the list would be the happy hour in the tree house; what a fun way to meet people from all over the world. AND we learned a lot about St Lucia by chatting with a couple of Monica’s friends who are island residents and joined us for drinks. All drinks, btw, are part of your room rate – no extra charge.
Another plus - ask Jessica to set you up with Andrew for a rental vehicle as they will pick you up at the airport and take you to Crystals (leaving you with the car) and then pick you up at the end of the trip and drive you back. Very convenient.
Now in the “be aware” category: dogs, lights, and Calabash pool.
Anyone staying here needs to know there are lots of dogs on site – and they bark, a lot. I realize they provide security and they seem like very nice dogs, but it got downright annoying having them bark every time we returned in our car, during happy hour, and even during our expensive (if fabulous) dinner. Maybe dog lovers are fine with this, but the place would move to a high 5 rating if they could quiet the dogs.
The lighting and pool are minor, but something to be aware of. Lights: We were in Calabash which was lovely but very dim. We had to use a flashlight to cook and had to move lamps all over to get lighting in the lounge area. This has happened in several places we’ve stayed and it just makes me wonder why the owners / maids don’t regularly check light bulbs and whether sockets are working in light fixtures. Pool: And anyone staying in Calabash needs to be aware that the pool is not on the deck as the other unit pools are – it is in its own private courtyard which is nice but there is no view. However, if all you want is a view – you have it! There is a deck with a great view outside the front of the unit which has plenty of room for 2-4 people to enjoy the sunset with a glass of wine under the huge calabash tree.
Oh and I almost forgot the best feature – sleeping! In February, it is so cool on the mountain top that we opened all the doors and had to sleep under the covers. Of course, that meant we had to use the mosquito netting, but it’s the kind that hangs from the bed posts so we had plenty of room and it was actually very cozy. Calabash is also very light in the daytime with lots of windows and doors; the pictures don’t do it justice in that regard.
Thanks for the memories Monica and Jessica! You are wonderful hosts!

Room Tip: All the rooms are unique and lovely. The deck on Calabash has a great view but the pool is in a sep...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank NCTravelingGirl
Crystals-Soufriere, Guest Relations Manager at Crystals, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
First of all congratulations to you both happy to hear your wedding went well and second thank you for your very kind review.

Shame the solar lights were not working at the BBQ and we appreciate your constructive criticism, Martin will see to it that a normal light will replace the solar, yes I understand your concern about the lights in general on the island your ref to lights bulbs not working, here the current fluctuates so much here in St Lucia it blows all the bulbs, so annoying when you just put one in a few days ago, that is why we have a notice to Guests to let us know if any lights are out.

In general on the Island lights are low voltage and kept dim this is in order to keep insects down as they are attracted to bright lights.

Dogs, I do agree they do bark and we do get them to stop straight away when possible but at least they do not bark usually at night when one is sleeping (we are far from the town thank God or you would not sleep at all as in Soufriere town the dogs bark all night along with the roosters and sounds of music and traffic) and it was rather unfortunate when you were here Sheba was on heat so the dogs in the area were paying her a visit in spite of us trying to keep her away so extra barking was going on, but usually it is not the case She just barks when My neighbor passes as they have taken a dislike to him.............(animals)
I have to say Crystals has never had a break in or any intruder, one can sleep with doors and windows open never have to lock your door one can feel safe knowing our dogs are keeping us all safe and sound.....Ok perhaps Storm will try and sneak into your room at night but He is rather clever so just the word out He will just go out.....................................

Calabash has as you mentioned an amazing piton and sea view from the balcony area on the other side is the pool BBQ patio area, I think I mentioned to you that we are in fact changing the design of Calabash soon to accommodate the new entrance to our new Villa(should open in 6 months) so the pool will be changed over to the other side with a 12ft wrap around balcony . Sorry for Guests who book year after year Calabash but I assure you it will be even better.

Looking forward to seeing you both back here soon to celebrate your anniversary it was a real pleasure to have you both here.

I hope you both have a long and happy life together.

from Martin Monica Jessica and all the staff at Crystals
toronto
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We have a 3 and 1 year old and the all inclusive is just not our style. Crystals offered an amazing space, a house no less, with AC, pool and magnificent views of the Pitons.
We took our car seats for the kids and explored the area in our rental jeep and returned each day to our villa. The breakfast was tropical and delicious, local fruits, eggs, homemade buns and cakes and when we were out the villa and pool were well cleaned daily.
Monica and Martin the owners are incredible hosts, we asked more than the average guest I am sure, with our kids needs, and they never failed to help.
We would go back and I just cannot seem to find a way to imitate Martin's homemade rum punch. Must be an Island thing!

Room Tip: We had the mango villa. Very good choice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank dikadvoclaart
It means a great deal to us that you took time off t o write this review we are indeed grateful.
We do make exceptions for kids on property ( though it is not recommended-as per our site) and those that do come are very well behaved and sweet little angels.

Mango is the best villa for kids as it is safe ( Pools can only b access through the door unlike the other cottages) , spacious as you mentioned and built with that family theme . We're glad you that you and the family , had a great holiday .

The Rum-punch is a secret ....But here[s a possible explanation why its not the same
you need St.Lucian rum

Best of Luck to You and the family.
LOVE MARTIN, MONICA & JESSICA
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I spent two weeks in St Lucia celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary and stayed at Crystals the last week of November and first week of December. We loved it and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for something a bit different from the 'all inclusive' resort conveyor belt line that the big resorts offer. Very small and intimate and a bit off the beaten track it is within a sort drive from the vast majority of the sights and attractions that attract visitors to the island. Staff were wonderful and very accommodating - you feel like part of the family. We stayed in the Calabash and it was absolutely perfect for our needs. Built around a large Calabash Tree it was very romantic and quite unique. View of the Pitons was awesome and the cool breezes you get up on the heights of the mountain ridge above Soufriere made it a great escape during the heat of the day. We did some of our own cooking, as well as dining out a few times so loved the fact the villas had kitchen facilities. Definitely miss those awesome breakfasts we got every morning - pancakes were fabulous!
Cocktail hours and meals that are held every once in a while were great and really enjoyed visiting with & meeting the type of clientèle they seem to attract. Rum punch was awesome......
Advise anyone staying here to rent a Jeep or SUV - Andrew at Emerald Rentals was absolutely awesome. They will help arrange rental as well as pick-up and drop off at the airport included in the cost of it. We drove all over the island and had no issues. Not hard to get used to driving on the 'wrong' side of the road at all. We didn't have to fight taxis and large tour groups anywhere on the island, and didn't get the wild rides we saw a lot of tourists on........ :)
No issues that would make anyone complain about even though there were a couple that cropped up over the 2 weeks - but none were the fault of the resort itself. And what trip goes without some type of snafu along the way?
Highly recommend it to anyone - quiet and unique but within a few minutes of town, beaches and the attractions. If you want the all inclusive this isn't the place to go, but if you want a nice intimate and place filled with charm then check them out. You won't regret it.
p.s. if you do go, ask Martin if he knows how to BBQ fish (we had an awesome one that we hosted the one night at our villa with all of the gang when we were there!)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rockyandkaren1977
Goring by Sea. West Sussex
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Having just come back from St Lucia. I thought that I needed to write abought Crystals. Monica and Martin along with Jessice,have created a hidaway from the normal Island hotels.
Each room is unique in its lay out and finish. Try one of Monicas dinners if you get the chance. Great food served and presented well with a loverly set table. Her staff are there for what ever you need. They keep the rooms clean and fresh all then time.
Happy hour is some thing else. Great nights. If we need to come back to the island Crystals will be a place that we will come back to.

Room Tip: Try Sugar Cane it looks out over the Pitons.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Milo1_13
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We just returned from St. Lucia, and our stay at Crystals was fantastic. It is the kind of place that you never forget. It's uniqueness is what makes it so special. The efforts made to create this retreat are evidenced in every nook of this grown-up tree fort wonderland. Monica, Martin, and Jessica were consummate innkeepers. They all made us feel like old friends. The physical layout is quirky and fun. Our suite/cottage/treehouse was huge. The dinner Monica prepared was so full of love and very expertly prepared. It is obvious she loves what she does. Her exuberance is a delight. Breakfast was a treat every morning. And although other guests were around, we felt simultaneously part of the little commune and privately cloistered. Balance is big with us, and Crystals fit the bill perfectly. We are grateful for our time there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paularo6102
Crystals-Soufriere, Guest Relations Manager at Crystals, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking time out to promptly write this review .

We are in great contentment that you enjoyed our home cooked dinner and breakfast . As they both were indeed sprinkled with love. We tried to incorporate as much local and home grown herbs, spices and seasonings in-order to give it that "st.lucian flavour"

Once again thank you. It was a pleasure having you .
LOve Jessica, Monica, Martin and Crystals Staff
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary at Crystals and are so very glad we chose this place. Monica, Jessica and Martin are the most wonderful hosts as they welcome you into their home. Let me not forget to mention Christine, their very good friend, who provided lots of comeraderie and laughs! I can't say enough about the "special meals" that are offered a few nights a week. The food is all organic and made right on the premises. And the happy hour (or hours!) were so much fun. Every night was different, and we had so many laughs with the other guests. Monica knows absolutely everyone on the island, and is always willing to make contacts or reservations for you (right on the spot from her cell). Crystals is so very different from the uppity cookie-cutter all-inclusive resorts in St. Lucia. You can really let your hair down and have fun. And let me not forget our furry friends: There was never a dull moment with Sheba, Storm and Hazel (and their newborn puppies). We especially enjoyed the night of cuddling the newly born puppies during happy hour. We stayed in the Sugar Cane and were so very glad we did. There was more than enough room for the two of us, and the view was simply amazing. Breakfast was wonderful every morning, and it was delivered right at the time requested. Our pool was also cleaned daily. The pool, housekeeping, and grounds staff were so friendly and helpful. There was never a doubt in our minds about the safety of our possessions. Crystals is very lucky to have such wonderful, friendly staff. We are currently experiencing temps in the teens and waiting for snow this afternoon. My mind is drifting back to St. Lucia where I hope my thoughts will keep me warm and cozy. Thank you again, Crystals, for an unforgettable time!

Room Tip: Sugar Cane has to be the best: two floors; total privacy; large pool; best view of the rainforest...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RosieSPennsylvania
I am overjoyed to know we made your anniversary memorable . Yes , we do have quite a ball during dinners and our happy hour but this is all part of the St.Lucian experience as we believe you deserve the very best .

We really do go out of the way to ensure you go back and can really say " I enjoyed this and want to come back here," That's why we put so much love, commitment , effort and class in our meals, decor and of-course our happy hours.

The pictures of the sugarcane you have attach are beautiful. We do appreciate you posting them and write this review. Best of luck.

Love Jess, Monica, Martin + Crystals Staff