“We Loved Crystals for Our Honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Crystals

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Soufriere
Crystals
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Manhattan, New York
“We Loved Crystals for Our Honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2007

When we originally booked Crystals for our honeymoon, my husband was a little bit nervous that it would be too rustic for us. Quite the contrary -- the villa had everything we needed, except that my hairdryer didn't work (and I am a major hairdryer user -- it is almost a religion for me!). If you are looking for an easy all-inclusivey type place and are afraid of driving on rocky roads, Crystals would not be for you. If you could handle a little adventure and love privacy and romance (although with a few little bugs), then it is the place for you!
We loved Crystals sooooo much! Monica and Martin made us feel so welcome, and it was very easy to meet other guests staying at Crystals via the almost nightly get-togethers in the Crystals treehouse. Monica helped us make arrangements, including booking a Jeep for us, advising us on where to go, setting up restaurant reservations (Dashene), and setting up the Rainforest Tour with Ras. Our stay was truly out of this world. Sugar Cane (where we stayed) was gorgeous, with the most fantastic decorations and a wonderful view of the Pitons. We also had a grill at Sugar Cane. Since we live in Manhattan, we don't have this luxury at home, so my husband made a BBQ for all of the other guests staying at Crystals one night.
We could not have had a better honeymoon and hope we can return to Crystals to celebrate a special anniversary or renew our vows.
We also recommend visiting the following places:
- Hummingbird - great food and nearby
- Sulphur Springs & Diamond Falls
- Beach at Jalousie
- Beach at Anse Chasnet - our favorite beach and a beautiful resort we would consider staying at
- Dasheene at Ladera - special meal
- Rainforest Tour (we got to go with Ras)
If you get a chance, also head up to Marigot Bay. It is a bit of a rough drive, but it is very pretty. We drove past it.
For the last 4 days of our honeymoon, we stayed at the Sandals Regency (as I said, my husband was a bit scared of Crystals when I booked it). We somewhat regretted this, as Sandals did not offer the privacy, romance, and adventure that Crystals did. We found it to be very crowded and ordinary after our wonderful stay at Crystals.

• Liked — Staff, Beautiful Views, Location
  • Disliked — Bugs, Lack of Ability to Use Hairdryer
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank nyccouple318

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2007

I must admit that I do not want to give Crystals too good of a review, but it is purely for selfish reasons! I have stayed at many bed and breakfasts in both the US and Canada and have met many property owners. Crystals is owned by the most wonderful couple of them all, Monica and Martin.

You must have a 4x4 car to drive up to Crystals. It is on a handcut dirt road right outside Soufriere, which I think was the most charming part of the island. There are several different private cottages, all with private decks and pools. I can speak specifically of the Calabash, which is where my husband and I stayed for 10 days. There is a full kitchen, living room, bedroom and sitting area, bathroom and a deck looking onto the Pitons. The fabric is all gorgeous rich red and oranges and the furniture was all specially made for Monica in Indonesia. You will feel as if you are a queen (or king) on your own private estate in Paradise.

On the first morning a couple girls came in and made us a delicious breakfast right in our cottage. The food was excellent, and we made good use of the market in Soufriere and cooked our own meals several times. I highly recommend getting a case of Piton beer at the market! Just remember to keep your receipt and you will be able to get 12 EC back in deposit money when you bring back the bottles. My husband and I got married on the Papaya deck and there was a lovely arch made of palm fronds and flowers under which we stood -- our background was the Pitons. The registrar was great, Monica and Martin (and another couple we met at Crystals) were our witnesses and guests, and after the ceremony we were guided to the treetop bar for an afternoon and evening of champagne, rum punch, cake and some of the best food I've ever eaten. Seriously, my mouth is watering right now thinking about it and I've just finished my lunch! On Sundays there is a champagne brunch for all the guests up in the treetop bar, and you will get to experience many local dishes (definitely try the salt fish and bakes ... DELICIOUS).

There are two house dogs, Sheba and Sasha and also a sweet cat and her kitten were taking up residence by our cottage most of our stay.

I could write a book just about how perfect this wedding/honeymoon/vacation was. Bottom line - this is the best experience I've had yet in life and I'm very much looking forward to doing it all again, and seeing our new friends in St. Lucia soon.

• Liked — The owners made everything feel like we were at home ... except in a more beautiful home!
  • Disliked — That we couldn't stay longer.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank adegrace
Allen, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2007

My wife and I stayed at Crystals in Feb. 2006 for our Honeymoon. We were looking for an intimate setting where we could have a unique experience...away from the tourist traps. Crystals was the perfect choice. Monica was as gracious host as I've ever had. She helped us get a car and everything. We felt like we found a diamond in the rough at Crystals.

The views from Crystals are spectacular!!! We were disappointed that the jacuzzi was not heated, but the food, flowers, and service that we received from Monica and staff made up for it.

Warning: If you are "high maintenance" you will not like Crystals. It is more of a rustic setting and far from what you're probably use to at a Marriott.

Something special: Monica knew we were coming in on our Honeymoon and when we arrived, she had arranged some beautiful flowers for the room and even had a heart of roses on the bed...it was very special.

• Liked — Views and staff
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank joserudger
FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2007

This trip was everything we could have imagined plus some. Crystals was wonderful- it was remote and non commercialized, yet clean and elegant and very cozy and accomodating. Monica and Martin were very gracious hosts who made you feel like old friends visiting on a holiday. martin was a very talented musician and they were excellent at creating an entertaining atmosphere each evening for their nightly get togethers for a drink and something to eat. Each of the rooms were furnished with elegant tapestries and exquisite furnishings hand picked by monica and had partly stocked kitchens and full baths. Each room had a grill and a private pool. We stayed in the Kalabash our first night and the Papaya the rest of our stay. The Papaya had a breath taking view of the pitons and was extrememly comfortable-the pictures I show are from the papaya deck. All of the staff at Crystals were friendly and accomodating, on our first trip into town one of the girls rode to the market with us to show us our way and throughout the trip we actually ended up visiting some of the other staff members homes in downtown Soufriere. We enjoyed staying on this end of the island, we made the trip because we had friends getting married at Sandals on the other side of the Island- that said It is an absolute must that you rent a vehicle! We explored every inch of this island from the turtle farm to smugglers cove to all of the marked and unmarked waterfalls on the island. I reccomend Anse la raye, the canaries fish fry on friday nights and of course seeing all of the volcanos/waterfalls/mineral baths on the map. There was not much shopping really anywhere on the island, every market had pretty much the same thing and shopping wasnt any different on the north side of the island. There are not many amenities on this island so dont plan on a quick dry cleaning trip or things like that. I must admit the locals can be a bit intimidating however we went out at night at the bars in downtown soufriere and went scuba diving with the locals and everyone was very friendly once you started talking to them. I felt safe, however I am probably a bit on the fearless side- bottom line if you like privacy and dont want to be overrun with tourism and are looking to experience a taste of a different type of culture and scenery, the south side of the island is a completely different experience, however with beaches like anse la raye you can still have the tropical relaxing paradise just right down the road if thats what you crave. Scuba diving was OK- Eat at the hummingbird and Ladera, drink Piton beer. Get with Martin and Monica they will refer you to guides to take you through the rain forest and to several of the waterfalls. Grab a map and just drive looking for some of the waterfall locations to get the most out of some of the lesser known attractions. The rain forest skyride was expensive but neat, you can see martinique from the top. Crystals was beautiful and non commercial yet elegant and cozy. Clean and private yet in the middle of the most beautiful parts of the island, reccomend for those who are adventurous and physically active.

• Liked — Personal hospitality/ culture/scenery
  • Disliked — lack of shopping locales
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank SUNKISSED899
Ft. Lauderdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2007

My wife and I honeymooned at Crystal's in May. Simply put, we had the trip of a life time. The whole trip was an adventure. A laid back, romantic, educational adventure.

My wife booked the trip after finding out about Crystal's here on Trip Advisor. From our first phone call to Monica and Charles, we were treated like family.

When we arrived at the airport we were greeted by Earle from the Jeep Rental company. He drove us around the island to Crystal's, along the way giving us instruction and pointing out places to come back and visit.

A lot of the roads on the island are rustic, so get a jeep. The road up to Crystal's is no different, you will want a jeep. I really enjoyed the driving on the island once I got the hang of the right hand drive and being on the other side of the road..

When we arrived, Monica greeted us like old friends. We were helped to our room by some of the gents that work at the resort. As we approached the Calabash cottage, where we stayed, we were greeted by a pack of newly born puppies. We are dog people and left our dogs at home, so it was nice to have the dogs and puppies around for the week.

The Calabash was beautiful. The views, the room, the pool were all great. We enjoyed having our morning coffee on the back porch while plotting our adventures for the day.

We eventually moved to the Papaya and it was also a nice cottage (I preferred the Calabash). The views from the Papaya were also amazing, with a bit better view of the valley and the Pitons.

Monica and Charles were great about recommending places to visit on the island and making arrangements. We loved hanging out with them in the evenings at the tree house bar (I think we were the one's that may have ruffled the feathers of one of the other May reviewers - sorry! ). We learned a lot about St. Lucia's history and culture from them, the guys that work for them and some of their friends we met when they came up for a Sunday visit.

The beaches were beautiful, the rain forest hike is a must (thanks Ras!), the sailing is a must. We also had a great time at the sulphur springs/bath, the waterfalls and touring one of the local plantations.

In the evenings we would have dinner at some of the other resorts. They were very nice, but lacked the charm and warmth of Crystal's. At Cyrstal's you will feel like you are staying with friends and at the other resorts you can tell you are at a hotel.

St. Lucia is an under developed gem of an island. It is rustic, charming, relaxing and exotic. It is NOT polished and overly touristy.

If you are looking to get away, want an exotic location, don't need the sterility of a 5 star resort and like nature - St. Lucia's is for you. If you want to be treated like friends and want a real St. Lucian experience, stay at Crystal's.

We will, with a doubt, go back to visit Monica, Charles and all of the great folks at Crystal's.

• Liked — The setting is beautiful and we were treated like family
  • Disliked — It was a little more rustic than expected
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank thekavans
philadelphia pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2007

not only was our stay a crystals wonderful, monica, martin and their team, set up an amazing wedding ceremony for us. it is truely something that we will never forget. everything was beautiful and completely stress free....exactly what we wanted! our room was filled with flowers after the ceremony and there were even flowers sprinkled on the bed :) we stayed in both the coco palm and the sugar cane cottages during our 11 day stay which were both very private and spacious. if you do not like all the fuss of a big resort and are looking for a quaint and cozy place to stay in st.lucia, crystals is the place to go.

Stayed November 2006
4 Thank eandg2006
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

We just returned from our wedding and honeymoon in St. Lucia. We could not have picked a more perfect place to stay. Monica and Martin provide a quiet oasis away from the noise of the city and big resorts. Crystals served as a wonderful home base from which to go out and explore the island. Monica is most helpful with anything you want to know about or do in St. Lucia.

I decided to stay at Crystals based on the reviews I read about it on Tripadvisor. All the positive reviews are completely accurate. There is simply nothing negative to say about Crystals, and I am VERY picky. The only thing I feel the need to reiterate is that you do need to rent a car to get around in... but, like everything else, Monica can arrange the rental for you. We were picked up and dropped off at the airport.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple