“Great gardens maybe don't bother with a guide”

Diamond Botanical Gardens
$55.00*
Tet Paul Stairway Tour in St Lucia
Ranked #4 of 36 things to do in Soufriere
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The gardens are part of the same complex as the diamond waterfalls and there is a wealth of lush, tropical vegetation and literally thousands of plants. I'm not the biggest flora lover but there were some weird and wonderful plants to look at.

To be guided or not guided? This is an option as you enter the park. There are volunteers who are keen to explain their deep knowledge of all the flora in the gardens – and our guide “Alexander the great” was certainly encyclopaedically knowledgable about what we could see. For me, it gave a lot more detail to what we were seeing – including explaining the origins from across the world of some of the plants. He took photos of us un front of the waterfall and even made us a grasshopper and angel fish out of the leaves of a tree – awesome and very cute really.

For my wife, she found him more annoying, as he rushed us along somewhat. Also - once he discovered we weren't keen on taking him up an offer to guide us around other sites for the rest of the day - he showed less interest in us and was more keen on getting the next tip-offering guests on the hook. You tip whatever you feel it's worth, so the cost just depends on how tight you can bear to be to people trying to make an honest living.

One thing to bear in mind about getting a guide is that – as we discovered over the course of our trip – lots of the tourist sites in the vicinity of Soufriere cover the same ground in terms of explaining the different plants, their origins and uses. We found that the Tet Paul park or the Jungle Bike tour at Anse Mamin beach had more interesting and interactive tours which were more engaging and worthwhile.

3  Thank Hammy_Reynolds

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Whilst in St Lucia we went to the Botanical Gardens (but not for long enough) it was inbetween trips. the gardens are beautiful and make for some great photo's.
Only wish we had longer here and went into the mineral bath's.
Going back to St Lucia next year and will visit again.

1  Thank Darren T
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I would definitely return again, and wish I had spent more time here .
Saved it for the last day of my trip with all the natural "gardens" in St Lucia , but absolutely loved this attraction ; cool peaceful and beautiful .
Do have a tour . Alexander the Great was so funny and informative :)

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Well tended gardens, staff to talk about plants, lots of nooks and crannies . Cool walking around tropical plants and trees. Car park has many folk wishing to be your guide, but if you don't wish to have a guide a simple ,no thank you, and you were not hassled.

1  Thank charencol
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The tour guides here are independent and will approach you when you get to the entrance of the botanical gardens. My wife and I decided to opt for one and it made the experience more enjoyable. Our tour guide (Alexander) was happy to help us once he finished off his cocktail. Despite my first impressions being somewhat questionable, I was pleasantly surprised as he rapid fired off more botanical knowledge in a 30-minute walk than I would know in a year. Also I found it interesting that he knew a fair amount of the international translations for different spices (i.e. the Indian name, American name, etc...).

If you're a photographer you may want to bring a macro lens and a tripod with you and hang out after the tour is over to snag some shots. There was a lot of vibrant scenes to take shots.

1  Thank Phatonycmu