“Absolutely Gorgeous!”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Lakeland, FL
“Absolutely Gorgeous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

We went to a couple of resorts on the northern part of the island and booked our last 4 nights with Hotel Chocolat and we are extremely happy with our choice. The locals in St. Lucia are very friendly and especially the employees of Hotel Chocolat. The property is small enough (5 pods and 5 luxe pods) that they can and will cater to whatever you want or need. The accomodations are extremely unique and luxurious (or chic as they describe it) and you get an authentic St. Lucian rainforest experience. Although the rooms do not have AC, we found the temperature to be extremely comfortable at night and comfortable during the day. There is always a cool breeze blowing and a few brief rainshowers during the day. In addition, there is a large ceiling fan in the room which you can adjust by remote control which keeps the rooms cool. When you walk in, Hotel Chocolat has already put island music on an ipod and it is playing as you walk in. You will also want to shower 10 times a day in the outdoor shower - it is GREAT. The Hotel provides earplugs because the tree frogs, etc. can be somewhat loud at night, but nothing that is annoying.

But, by the far the best part of the experience is the food. I consider myself fairly well traveled and the food was the best I've had. Everything has a hint of caoco which makes it absolutely fabulous; it is a unique spin on things you cannot get anywhere else. I have attached pictures of some of the dishes we tried. It is by far the best food on the island. In addition, the drinks they make are amazing; you must try the MOJITO! You also must eat the chocolate; you will not find chocolate with a taste as rich and fresh as you will find here. The breakfast is very filling and the dinners have perfect size servings to make you feel full (3 courses).

There is also plenty to do - we went out on Boucaneer I (the awesome Mako boat with twin 225 hp motors on the back) to cruise around the Carribean side of the island to sightsee and snorkel - the Underwater Explorer Outing. The Boucanner I also will whisk you around to Jalousie Beach or Anse Chastanet as a complementary water "taxi" if you request it the day before (or you can take a land taxi to Jalousie Beach). "Captain Kirk" and Shawn are great tour guides and will spend as much or as little time at the snorkeling or sightseeing locations as you want. Shawn even ventured up to the Piton Waterfall with us from the beach. They are absolutely great tour guides and are extremely friendly and accomodating. My wife went to the spa for a caoco facial and she said it was the best experience of her life. The therapist is extremely professional and the spa is built up high off the ground so you get a perfect view of Petit Piton from the treatment room. In addition, the treatment was for 90 minutes which makes it worth every cent.

In conclusion, if you want to stay and explore the southern side of St. Lucia near the Pitons, you must stay for at least a few days at Hotel Chocolat. You will not get an experience like it at Jalousie Plantation (which is kind of snobby) or Ladera. The staff are extremely friendly and laid back and you have the ability to make the experience as personalized as you want. The staff will also go way out of their way to help you. The experience is well worth the price! The only disadvantage is that I wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: I recommend a luxe lodge, but the main difference from the regular lodges are that the bathroom/show...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank VUVacay37
, Guest Relations Manager at Boucan by Hotel Chocolat, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thanks for your comprehensive review, which touches on all aspects of what we aspire to get right as hoteliers: service, standards, experience and overall design feel. Delighted that you enjoyed your stay and would love to see you make a return visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

Having been a member of the chocolate tasting club since 2004, I wanted to visit this new hotel,
We went for Sunday lunch, rooms what we could see, looked nice, but the site is not finished.
The Boucan restaurant is lovely, woodwork and furnishings, and a beautiful view of one of the pitons. The swimming pool looked lovely and refreshing.
We had three courses, and well, everything contained chocolate in one way or another !
I had a cocoa pod shaped burger bun with a delicious burger inside it, salad and my other half had posh fish and chips, with cocoa in the batter. We both had different desserts to see what we would be presented with. I had a platter of bean to something, I had to try and eat it quick before the chocolates melted !
When I paid, I noticed things they were selling behind the pay desk, which you could order on a form, with your meal, and it would have all been ready for you, when you left, I got a preserved cocoa pod, which I managed to get home undamaged, and chocolates for presents and a jute bag. Then I thought - oh, I have my chocolate tasting membership card - thought it worth mentioning, thought I would be able to have 10 per cent off the gifts I had bought - no, they were able to offer me 10 per cent off the whole meal also ! Result, thank you hotel chocolat !
We enjoyed our meal and the views. And when back in st Lucia will probably re-visit for another meal. But we like a beach , I know they do shuttles down to one, but that's not quite the same.

Room Tip: Sorry no experience, would've liked to look round one though
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jalousiegirl
Judy B, Guest Relations Manager at Boucan by Hotel Chocolat, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Our Sunday lunches are becoming a bit of an institution and a lovely way to spend a leisurely day, delighted you enjoyed it so much. We especially love seeing our Chocolate Tasting Club members and delighted to confirm that we have now offer 5% off all parts of our experience in Saint Lucia – spa, experiences, rooms, gifts as well as our restaurant and, of course our stores and websites! We would love to see you again when you revisit Saint Lucia.
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

Just got back to the states after a week long Honeymoon at Hotel Chocolat. Prior to coming here we had no idea of what the Hotel Chocolat brand was since it is not well known in the US. We definitely learned what they're all about during our stay.

From the moment we arrived at the airport our shuttle driver (Agnus) greeted us with a smile, a nice cold mint towel and a cold local brewed (Piton) beer. The 45 minute drive to the hotel was interesting and we learned a bit along the way thanks to Agnus.

Upon arrival at the hotel our bags were whisked away and we were greeted to check in with a drink from the bar. Try the Rum Punch. It is potent but very delicious. The view from the restaurant/bar area is an amazing sight. The Petite Piton view is so majestic and had me and my wife amazed.

We had a Luxe Pod room reserved with the Romance and Rest Package. The Luxe Pod is the bigger room option with an elevated and unobstructed view of Petite Piton and partial ocean view. The Romance and Rest package included:
•Free shuttle service to and from airport.
•Daily Full Breakfast, Two Course Lunch, Three Course Dinner
•$50 per day beverage credit
•Complimentary full body massage for two.
•Complimentary "Tree to Bean" experience. (Bean to Bar is extra)
•One night private dinner for two at Club Boucon (poolside).
•Bottle of chilled champagne in room upon arrival.

Because of the Luxe Pod's being elevated it can be quite a walk to and from your room including lots of stairs. My calf's have just recovered fully. There is no phone in the room so you have to do some walking if you need anything. We got lost a few times in the first couple days trying to get to and from our room. There are different paths to take to certain rooms but we learned eventually. The room itself is amazing! The outdoor rain shower was a standout as well as the large balcony with lounge chairs and an amazing view. The room is essentially a super luxurious open air cabin. There is a net around the bed to keep out mosquito's and other bugs while you sleep. The net worked well but we did leave our trip with a few bites (which is expected). The fridge was well stocked with the above mention Rum Punch and a few different bottles of wine. They have different beverages in the room that aren't chilled. They also leave cookies and a nut mix everyday for you to snack on and have an iPod filled with really great tracks for you to listen to. It made our experience even more special as crazy at that sounds.The noise at night from the surrounding wildlife didn't bother me as it did other reviewers (it is pretty loud though). My biggest complaint in our room is the WiFi doesn't quite reach the Luxe Pod rooms. If you sit on the balcony you can get enough signal to make due but that's the last place you want to be at night with the mosquito's looking for a meal. I would have loved to be able to relax on the bed and wind down at night with my iPad but a good book came in handy. There is no air conditioning as you are basically in an outdoor living space. There was a fan above the bed that was helpful but would only increase speed enough to make it comfortable (wish it could go faster). They also have complimentary laundry service which we took advantage of twice. We did have trouble getting hot water the last couple days of our stay as well. I'm not sure if it was an issue with just our room or the fact the hotel was filling up with guests these days and hot water was low.

The first morning at the hotel we had a scheduled meeting with Judy who I believe is the General Manager of the hotel. She went over our package with us and was there to answer any questions we had. She gave us a map of the property and it outlined a few trails we may want to take. Unfortunately none of those trails are marked which made us a little nervous. One of the employees, Thomas, could accompany us if we needed help, she added. We did manage one hike up to an abandoned home in the hills behind Hotel Chocolate. It was an amazing view and well worth the effort. We were also told we could walk to Soufriere (45 minutes) if we desired. I wish we would have been warned that you are risking your life in doing so. The road is dangerous and has many sharp turns which leaves the drivers blind to you. There is also no sidewalk or place to walk at all generally except for in the road itself. It is a downhill walk into to Soufriere. I would never walk back to the hotel from there however. It would be a challenging trek.

The restaurant "Boucon" was great! The food was very high end and the plating was as beautiful as I've ever seen. Although the cocoa theme is was overdone I never felt overwhelmed by the ingredient itself. Everything worked in harmony each meal. You will need to have at least two courses to feel full. Most nights I had three and I had to crawl back to my room each night I was so full. I enjoyed all the appetizers and entrees but my favorite was the cocoa crusted ribeye steak. I'm not a big fan of dessert but each one they prepare is very well done. My favorite had no chocolate at all and it was the Rum Baba (rum soaked cake with whipped cream and an extra shot of rum). Plan on spending $150 with limited alcohol for two people here for dinner. Of course you can get it as part of your package, as I did, which saved lots of money.

The pool area is also great. We spent a lot of time here relaxing and wasting our days away. It's a small infinity pool with the same amazing view of Petite Piton. It is a fairly small area but hardly used due to the limited amount of guests at the hotel. There are comfortable sun loungers available for each guest. My only complaint is that even though there is a bar area by the pool it was always unmanned. We had to dress and go upstairs to the restaurant to get a beverage most times. I also planned on enjoying a cigar poolside most days but they don't have matches (only a lighter you can borrow) or a cigar cutter on the premises. I had to cut my cigars with sharp knives from the kitchen each time.

Speaking of cigars they were nice enough to retrieve a dozen premium Cuban cigars for me from the nearby Jalousie Plantation Hotel. This was very appreciated since I can't get them in the US. The service was very good although a little timid. I felt almost overbearing with requests even though most of them were common like an ironing board and iron. They're just so timid and quite it made me feel bad asking for anything. Overall all though the service was excellent and unobtrusive.

As for the spa there is only one masseuse on staff. Due to this there are no couple massages available and times are limited. They do have a great selection of cocoa oils to choose from which enhances your experience. My only complaint about the massage was the amateurish and corny music playing in the background. It was kind of distracting listening to Shania Twain and Celine Dion love songs in a constant loop for 60 minutes.

I highly recommend the "Tree to Bean" experience. Our host was very knowledgeable and you get to graft your own cocoa tree that is planted on the estate. You can come back a year later and actually harvest cocoa beans from your actual tree! Very cool experience. The "Bean to Bar" I would recommend passing on unless you really love chocolate. It's neat but didn't draw my attention like the latter.

Overall we had a memorable stay and they have taken great pride in the Estate that they have here. From the grounds to the restaurant everything is well done and they spared no expense to make it this beautiful. I hope my criticisms are taken and some fixes are made because this place has the potential to be a top notch destination worldwide.

10 Thank Casey R
’ Thanks for your very comprehensive review and we certainly will take the few points of constructive criticism in the spirit you intend.

We have a great desire to continuously improve and happy to confirm that we are working our way through your list with some vigour eg phones are now in all rooms, way markings are in place for the rooms, all Luxes Lodges have their own large water tanks and all rooms have their own solar heating systems.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

We recently returned from a seven night stay at Hotel Chocolat. My husband and I had one of the meticulously designed bungalows on the estate and our three teenagers another. They were luxurious without being ostentatious, comfortable and pleasing in every way. The sounds of the rainforest that seeped through the wooden shutters was magnificent. We were well cared for in every respect by a dedicated, warm and gracious staff. The hotel restaurant rivalled those in the major cities of the world - excellent. The setting obviously glorious - very few hotels look onto a UESCO Heritage site, which is the status afforded to the magnificent Pitons. We climbed the Gros Piton, went dolphin watching, had a day on a boat, did the Bean to Bar Experience tour, spent a day at the beach, had hotel massages from masseuse extraordinaire, Eva, and went sailing through the rainforest on a trip wire. The only major downside to our stay was having to leave!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank WoolleyFamily
You all certainly made the most of your stay with us – spa treatments, Gros Piton hiking, dolphin watching and cruising, zip wire, Bean to Bar experience… Thanks for the lovely review!
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

Just back from a week staying at Hotel Chocolat and would wholeheartedly recommend it. Possibly the most relaxing week of our lives, the quality of the accommodation, the food and the service was oustanding.
We upgraded to a Luxe pod which was well worth it. They're extremely spacious with great views - very comfortable bed and the most fantastic open air shower. The balcony was a lovely spot for a pre-dinner drink. The semi-outdoor design takes a little getting used to - the wildlife is noisy and you will inevitably get a few uninvited guests - but that's part of the charm.
The infinity pool is sublime with great views of the Pitons. The hotel was very quiet while we were staying meaning that most days we had it to ourselves, although the restaurant was much busier with guests from other hotels.
The food is outstanding. We had a slight concern the inclusion of cacao in every dish might be a bit of a gimmck but the food was very good and some of the dishes outstanding. Breakfast is included and very good, with lots of fantastic local fresh fruit. Service was always very willing and enthusiastic, although sometimes got a touch chaotic when the restaurant was busy. Wine and cocktails are expensive and if you're signing bills for your room make sure there are no errors.
We took part in several of the experiences. Definitely go out on the boat Boucaneer, which is great fun with a super crew. The tree to bean tour which gives you an insight into how Hotel Chocolat sources its chocolate is also fascinating. We wouldn't bother with the Soufriere Experience tour - if you want to visit the Sulphur Springs you can walk there - while the Gros Piton hike is very challenging and only for the very fit. The major drawback of the site is its nowhere near the beach, but there's a free shuttle to the Jalousie beach which takes about 15 mins and is well worth spending time on, it's a lovely beach and if you subtly give the staff $20 they'll let you have one of the most comfortable sunbeds you'll ever sit on.
The nicest thing about the Hotel is all the little touches which you just wouldn't get at the sort of large resort-style hotels which abound in St Lucia. You're treated as real people, and things like a free massage (which was amazing), a phone call the day before we arrived to see if we had any questions, and free chocolate in the room every day really make a difference. It's not cheap but I've come back to a marketing email from HC saying they've cut their room rates by 30% - not great if you've already booked but another good reason to go if you haven't!

Room Tip: Spend the extra for a Luxe pod - they're well worth it
8 Thank NushNushandBooBoo
Judy B, Guest Relations Manager at Boucan by Hotel Chocolat, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Thanks for your detailed review and glad you had a lovely time. Thanks also for specially mentioning 'Boucaneer' our hotel speedboat and the crew.
Cedar Rapids
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

We had never heard of Hotel Chocolat until we read reviews on Trip Advisor. It was an amazing experience. We stayed in a 450 sq. foot lodge and it was lovely. The view of the Petit Piton was spectacular & we are still talking about the food at Boucan. The staff was wonderful. We did the climb up Gros Piton, which was AMAZING! The chocolate tour/making chocolate is very cool! The only thing I would suggest, is that they do not have food to snack on during non-dining hours.

Room Tip: Luxe rooms have better views.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BrandiM994
Judy B, Public Relations Manager at Boucan by Hotel Chocolat, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Delighted your enjoyed your stay with us so much and congratulations on your successful ascent of Gros Piton.
Rochester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

Arrived back in England today, having spent a week in Luxe Pod 7, which had amazing views of the pitons. And what a fantastic week.
Transfer from the airport took about 45minutes.
Luxe pods are superb, and definitely worth the extra cash over the regular pods. Room was huge, with a balcony larger than some hotel rooms, and a shower which would have held six if that's your idea of a holiday! Bed was large and very comfortable, and all the fittings have been very stylishly done. The hotel is in a rainforest region though, and unsurprisingly there were tree frogs and insects making noises all night, but please don't complain about this, as its blatantly obvious this will be the case. The only true road around the island, was, however, a little closer and noisier than we had expected. But again, nothing to spoil the holiday.
We had breakfast and dinner every day at the hotel. We had initially expected to go elsewhere to eat, at least one evening. However, the food in the restaurant was absolutely superb - beautifully cooked and presented, and very good value too, considering where we were. The food does have a cocoa influence, but was not 'everything chocolate' - and indeed, those who like their chocolate dark and strong, may find some of the desserts a little 'milky' for their liking.
All the staff at the hotel were fabulous. Just the right amount of friendliness, and attentiveness, without making themselves just 'too much', which can happen in some hotels.
Judy and Phil - who run the Rabot Estate - were wonderful, and literally invited us in to their home for a cup of tea and a chat!
Thomas, a guide, took us on a couple of walks around the estate, sharing with us his excellent knowledge of the plants, and the island in general. Not to mention showing us some absolutely amazing views. We also went on a trip to the botanical gardens, and the 'Tet Paul trail' - which doesn't get mentioned much, but was brilliant, with views literally 360° around the area, including down on to Petit Piton. We also walked to the sulphur springs - a nice 20 minute walk away.
Best of all, though, was grafting our own cocoa tree seedling, and making our own chocolate from cocoa nibs, with the hotel's own 'bean to bar' experience.
The rest of the time was spent sitting by the fabulous pool, with it's amazing Piton backdrop.
Apparently there are not only plans for a chocolate factory - bringing much needed money into the local population, but also for a further hotel, elsewhere on the estate in the future. We are already using these as an excuse to plan a return visit in the future.
This is a very unique and special hotel, made extra special by the passion and care of all those involved in it.

Room Tip: Go for a Luxe pod - they all have fabulous views.
4 Thank Spenceleys
Judy B, Guest Relations Manager at Boucan by Hotel Chocolat, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thanks so much for your kind and detailed review which will be very useful for prospective guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Boucan by Hotel Chocolat? Share your experiences!