Stonefield Villa Resort(Soufriere)(Great Value!)
$312
$303
Fond Doux Plantation & Resort(Soufriere)(Great Value!)
$275
Ladera Resort(Soufriere)
$354
$320
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $367/night.

Boucan by Hotel Chocolat(Soufriere)(Great Value!)
$315
$230
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of $282/night.

Hummingbird Beach Resort(Soufriere)(Great Value!)
$132
Priceline
Jade Mountain Resort(Soufriere)
$1,226
$1,110
All reviewscashew roomsowner's houseinfinity poolsuperior deluxe roomst luciamain buildingworking plantationstunning viewssoufriere arearental carfresh fruitanse chastanet beachmain poolmosquito netmangoplantation houseceiling fan
Reviewed January 2, 2008

We have stayed at La Haut many times with and without children. We will be back simply because location and atmosphere are amazing. Our vacations at this outstanding place have always been spectacular: Excellent food and service, charmingly flower decorated rooms, unsurpassed natural environment and one of the best views one can possibly find... The Pitons in perfect angle, the "pyramids" of the Caribbean.

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed November 15, 2007

The first thing that hits you about La Haute (apart from the - ahem - exhilarating drive there through winding mountain roads) is the view. It is simply breathtaking; overlooking the Pitons and the town.

We headed straight to the bar and simply sat their marvelling at the view for at least an hour while doing justice to several bottles of Piton lager, which beats Barbados' Banks Beer.

The setting is perfect and so quiet so instantly relax. I couldn't imagine anybody bringing kids here, which only adds to the feeling you're in for a relaxing time. The food is wonderful, the staff are among the friendliest you'll ever meet and the service impeccable.

It's a real treat to stay there. We were on our honeymoon and stopped their for three nights - it was perfection. The main house, with its gingerbreading and balconies is gorgeous and although the bar closes at 9pm, sitting in the moonlight on our balcony, playing cards and drinking a bottle of rum was far more preferable. Of course there's no air conditioning, and thankfully it's not the sort of place that would provide a television - it's an old plantation house, and that's the beauty of it.

Christopher, who runs a taxi service for hotel is wonderfully friendly and helpful and offers very reasonably priced trips to the sulphur springs and waterfalls. He's a real star.

The hotel is amazing value for money. Not just the rooms but the food and drink as well. We drank quite a lot, ate three wonderful meals per day and still struggled to spend more than £50 per day on food and drink.

The only reason I would be loathe to post this review is because I'd maybe one day like to go back and thought for a moment about keeping this amazing place to myself.

• Stayed: October 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank IanW2007
Reviewed November 11, 2007

My wife and I stayed at La Haut for the first seven days of our honeymoon and loved it.

Rustic yet refined. Great infinity pool, wonderful owners. The goats and cattle and dogs and flowers were also very pleasant.

As the owner of the plantation put it - this is a very expensive hobby. She loves what she does with La Haut, and truly is not in the business to make a great profit. Their primary business is furniture making. So take advantage of La Haut, the meals, the environs.

When my wife and I ventured south, our driver from Soufriere said he would stay at La Haut versus our new destination "a hundred times our of a hundred." We'd tend to agree.

PS - take advantage of the free shuttle to Anse Chastenet beach. Also consider the one week guest packed at AC for access to their sailboats/chairs/wind surfing/snorkelling.

-Mike and Emily

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed October 8, 2007

Hi Everyone. My wife and I got married in June 2007 and headed off to St Lucia for our honeymoon. We had high hopes for La Haut.

We spent our first 6 nights on the island staying at Marigot Bay north of Souffiere on the coast. After the first 6 nights we got a taxi south to La Haut for our next 7 nights on St Lucia. The plan was for us to then return to Marigot for a further 6 nights.

We originally found La Haut via i-escape.com. A real find we thought and we were not disappointed. This has to be one of the most stunning settings in the world. Nestled on a mountain side in a working plantation. The views are simply incredible.

When we arrived it was low season and on average we found ourselves to be 2 of an average 7-9 guests per night so it was very quiet. We'd originally booked one of the larger premium vista rooms but on arrival we realised these were not air conditioned and had openings/vents that were not netted. Both these things were enough for us to ask to be downgraded to the rooms on the lower level that did have air con. This proved to be a very sensible decision as the room was still nice but it didn't have the vents and was nicely chilled. So we settled in.

The owners house down the hill is gorgeous and Stephanie immediately told us to make use of the infinity pool. We did and it was amazing!!! A bit chilly but no one else used it so every day we had our little private infinifty pool overlooking souffiere and the pitons!!! We never understood why no one else used it! It was gorgeous!

Anyway, the restaurant was good value. Food very good etc. All was going well for the first night or two and then it all went a bit wrong. Basically every night, because it was quiet the girls would try to shut the restaurant at 8.30pm so they could go home!!! This would be fine if we were not stuck half way up a mountain with no shops for miles. I made the mistake of complaining a bit about being sent to bed early and after this happened the waitress who was managing the restaurant decided she would no longer talk to my wife or I!!!

The following day she was really childish refusing to serve us and totally taking the mickey. Anyway from that evening on we decided to veto the restaurant and get a taxi down to the Hummingbird Resort at the bottom of the hill. The first night the waiter dragged our table out to the pool edge and served us Chateau Briande (can't spell) but it was stunning. The next night we took two friends from La Haut and the last night we ate there again.

By this time the supervisory staff at la haut had noticed there was a problem. I made a point to explain that they had probably lost out on 500 USD of business for the meals we had eaten at the Hummingbird. Silly really. it was just so childish. So if they didn't want my money they could forget it. Anyway they were very apologetic.

The thing is it was a shame coz La Haut is gorgeous. We hired a car for the week and explored loads from this great base. The drive in volcano was great. Jalousie is the most beatiful beach I have ever seen and the waterfalls and gardens were lovely. We had an amazing honeymoon and I would still recommend La Haut to all. It was just slightly marred by the silly waitress.

If I could go back I would, but I would take some entertainment for when the restaurant shuts at 8.30! Or get regular taxis down to the lovely hummingbird.

Give it a go. Everyone should see this view. I'll try to add some photos if I get chance. If you have qu's then email beninmarlow@yahoo.co.uk

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Beninmarl0w
Reviewed August 28, 2007

We stayed at La Haut Plantation for four nights last April and unfortunately, our experience was mixed. After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, we had high hopes of La Haut, but overall, were disappointed in our stay.
We have two kids (ages 7 and 9) so we booked the little cottage next to the main hotel. We tend to like smaller simpler places where we're on our own and have a kitchen. We neither expect nor want a resort experience. At $275 a night, La Haut was more than we've ever paid in the Caribbean.
I've put off writing this review because I do feel badly making negative comments about this place. There were some wonderful things about our stay. The owners were away but every single staffmember we dealt with couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. From the manager, who gave us a very interesting tour of the plantation, to the housekeeper to the servers at the restaurant, all were consistently kind and helpful.
The view of the Pitons, Soufriere and the ocean has to be one of the most stunning in the world. The pools (both the main one near the restaurant and the infinity pool near the owners' home) were clean and refreshing and much appreciated on hot days by our whole family. The breakfasts, which came with the price of the room, were delicious. You could choose from a large menu which included local specialties like fish cakes as well as more standard fare. My kids had crepes and cocoa tea, made from local cocoa, every morning. The one dinner we ate there was very good, as well.
My husband and I like to walk and we could leave the hotel, go up the road which didn't have much traffic, and instantly be in the beautiful rainforest. We also were only a short drive away from the wonderful beaches at Anse Chastenet and Jalousie, from the drive-in "volcano" and from the gorgeous botanical gardens of Soufriere.
So what's not to like? We were quite disappointed with our cottage which I can only describe as very rundown. The first floor, where the kids slept, was hot, musty and stuffy with old furniture and beds and with small windows that could not be opened. On the walls were shelves of dusty knicknacks. Our room, on the second floor, was better, but the windows could not be latched securely as the fasteners on some were broken. This made me nervous as the hotel info emphasized that the windows should be closed at night and when we were out for safety reasons and since we'd read about crime in the Soufriere area (there was a security guard on site and we never experienced any safety problem).
The kitchen had not been kept up. Maybe most guests don't use it much, but with kids, we like to cook most meals ourselves. There wasn't enough of anything like silverware, glasses or plates, nor were there some pretty basic items like a sharp knife or a can opener.
Our biggest problem, though, was with bugs. The screens all had holes and some mosquitos came in (there weren't mosquito nets). When we turned the fan in our room on high, both to cool down and to keep the mosquitos off us, it made a horrible noise. There was no fan in the kids' room. At one point, we found a giant slug on the wall, which I have to say our boys thought was great. There was a nest of spiders in the bathroom.
And here's the worst of it. Something (I'm not sure if it was spiders or something else) bit my kids' horribly, like 50 bites each, primarily on their limbs. The bites came over a couple of days, and seemed to mostly occur at night in bed. These were clearly not mosquito bites; they were something much worse. Some of them swelled hugely and they hurt as well as itched. My youngest son had times when he couldn't walk without major pain, his feet were so swollen. The bites didn't go away for over a week. He's a pretty tough little guy but there were times he just sat down and cried from the pain. The only thing that seemed to help at all was Benadryl (and even that only helped a little) so he ended up being drugged up on Benadryl for most of our vacation. At one point, I had the woman in the office look at them and she said she didn't know what could have caused them.
The owners of La Haut have a large and luxurious new house of their own on the property and they were constructing what looked to be a high end addition to the hotel while we were there. My husband and I wondered whether their attention was going to their own home and the addition, rather than to maintaining the original buildings. Our room was desperately in need of upkeep, not to mention a full renovation.
Despite the nice staff, food and view, we were relieved to leave La Haut. We went to the north end of St. Lucia for week where we had a much more positive experience.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family