“AMAZING Weekend”

Ranked #1 of 8 Soufriere B&B and Inns
Castries, St. Lucia
“AMAZING Weekend”
Reviewed June 21, 2011

All I can say is wow! The room was SUPERB especially as our balcony view was the pitons and the Soufriere town below us.

There were a few negatives but that didn't ruin my stay. The food was just okay and the service at the restaurant was not what I expected. Their attitude basically let us know that it was closing time so hurry with your order.

I would definitely return again, hopefully for a longer stay and will visit the town.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LucianQueenJay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Ettlingen, Germany
Reviewed June 21, 2011

THE RESORT
La Haut Plantation is located about 500m above Soufriere in the middle of the rain forest. Therefore it is very green there and, of course, no beach is in front of your door. The entire correspondence and booking details were done by E-Mail from Germany. One of the three office ladies Cindy, Anna and Glenda replied to my mails always in less than 24h, answering my questions very detailed. They arranged my airport transfer, as I didn’t rent a car. At the airport I was picked up by Cristopher’s Taxi Service and we had a 45min ride to La Haut. I stayed 11 nights (Mai 29-June 9) in the Cashew building which is located about 80m besides the main building. In front of the cashew building grows a big mango and a cashew tree, which named the building. In June it was mango time, so I just needed to pick up a fallen mango if I wanted to eat one. La Haut Plantation has a breathtaking view to the pitons, the sea and Soufriere. Besides human beings there live also three donkeys, cows, a goat family, chicken and a white crane like bird on the resort. Almost every day I discovered another tree or plant: Lime Tree, Mango and Cashew Tree, Banana, Coconut, Pineapple, Sugarcane, Water Apple …

ROOM & HOUSEKEEPING
The three rooms in the cashew building are announced as the Premium Vista rooms on the Website and they look in real even more beautiful than on the pictures of the Website. Upon arrival my room (Cashew 1) was beautifully decorated with local flowers. The room had no air condition, but a big ceiling fan above the king size bed. So if you don’t feel comfortable with temperatures around 86°F (30°C) this might not be your first choice accommodation.
The highlight is the huge veranda with piton view and the natural air condition named sea breeze. Two tables and three rattan-chairs invite you to spend some time on the veranda with reading or just watching the pitons. Upon arrival complimentary water was in the fridge of the small kitchenette which also provides a toaster, a water boiler and several tea and instant coffee bags. Beside the sink was a basket with fruits (grapefruit, water apple, orange). The room is very high (ceiling = roof) and therefore the daylight bathroom with shower, toilet and basin is located within its own little cabin within the room. Everything was very clean and the housekeeping did an excellent job. Complimentary beach towels were also included and replaced whenever necessary (drop on the floor or ask for a new one). A LCD-TV with more than 30 channels was mounted to the wall in front of the bed, where you will also find a table and two rattan-chairs. Negative: The kitchenette showed already heavy signs of usage e.g. the handles of the fridge closet where missing.

NIGHT & SLEEPING
As you are in the rainforest there are of course mosquitoes around. The big mosquito net covering the entire king size bed is very useful, but can’t give you a 100% guarantee of not being bitten. One or two always managed to get underneath it. The bed is very comfortable and the fan above it provides the “in house sea breeze”. With the beginning of dusk the rainforest night live will start. This means that the sound of a million crickets will join you throughout the night until dawn. You will also hear music, or - in my case - a political speech coming up from Soufriere. A barking dog was also sometimes part of the night entertainment. A funny thing: One night the guests from the neighbour room parked their car underneath the mango tree and as it was mango time you could hear several times during the night a “bump” when a fruit hit the car, followed by the siren of the car alarm, at it was triggered. Luckily they stayed only one night. Thus: DON’T PARK YOUR CAR UNDER A MANGO TREE.
Conclusion: Due to the location in the rainforest above Soufriere don’t expect a very silent environment during the nights at la Haut.

RESTAURANT
The open restaurant has also piton view and offers breakfast, lunch and dinner for house guests as well as for visitors. As I stayed 11 nights I managed to eat almost every dish from the menu and finally I knew the service staff by name, as they always greeted me by name. Breakfast is complimentary and consists of a fruit plate with seasonal fruits, Creole bread and eggs/omelette with ham or bacon. French toast is also available. I loved the Creole Bread and had it several times just with butter and jam. Beverages are fruit juice, Coffee, Tea, and my favourite: local cocoa tea. Unfortunately only the lunch menu offers a roti dish, which I liked very much. But I had it only once, as I was most of the time on tour during lunchtime. The dining menu offers several curry and fish dishes and a vegetable plate. Everything was very tasty and always fresh prepared. Definitively try the homemade cake with ice cream – I loved it. If you want to eat burger or steak, la Haut is not the restaurant of your choice. The Restaurant has a fully equipped bar where they serve the piton beer in a special glass. Try it – you will love it. More than 10 cocktails are listed in the menu and it is also a good place to taste some local rum. My favourite cocktail was the Banana Cow, mixed by Melisa, the Sulfur Steam and the Caribbean Sea Breeze. Beside the kitchen crew, six ladies will take care of your wishes at the restaurant. Most of the time, 2-3 of them were present, so after a short time you will feel like a member of the family. As the menu is limited I can recommend also the following restaurants: Downtown Soufriere: Fedo’s good local cuisine, Anse Chastanet Beach Restaurant: International cuisine higher priced, and 3 Miles from Soufriere, direction Vieux Fort the BOUCAN at Hotel Chocolat: Exclusive cuisine, where every dish has a touch of chocolate like e.g. the salad with white chocolate balsamic vinaigrette.

POOL, BEACH & ACTIVITIES
La Haut offers two pools, one at the restaurant and the infinity pool at the owner’s house (available only upon appointment). Both are beautiful and I used them almost every day as I was most of the time the only person at the pool which was very relaxing. The beach shuttle runs daily at 10am to the Anse Chastanet beach, where also a good beach restaurant is located. Make sure to book the 4pm return shuttle at the la Haut office. If you like hiking you can, of course, walk back (30min) to Soufriere and take the minibus up to la Haut – or walk another 45min uphill – and look forward for the pool. You will be rewarded with a gorgeous view down to Soufriere. If you like diving, ask for Chester (Action Adventure Divers) at the hummingbird beach which is located at the road to Castries, branch to Anse Chastanet beach.
The guests guide book in your room offers more than 30 tours and excursions. If you love nature, book the Canaries rain forest hiking tour and don’t forget your bathing suit as there is a nice waterfall. All tours include transfers and if it is a full day trip a big lunch pack is also included. Offered tours are: Hiking, Shopping, Sailing, Rum tasting, Piton hike, Snorkeling, City Tour, Zip-line, Horse Back Riding, ATV, Helicopter, … starting from US$50-US$1100.
Conclusion: Plenty of activities to suite every persons budget.

SERVICE & OFFICE
This is my favourite part to describe as I never had so friendly office staff somewhere else. The office is run by Cindy, Anna, Glenda and Raphael the Tour and Excursion expert. Raphael knows a lot about the excursion and can give you many valuable hints. Cindy is the “number cruncher” she manages all the receipts and can find out almost everything like opening hours etc. I could check my flight schedule online, check in and print out my boarding pass for free at the office. The laundry service was good and reliable and of good value. The drives Denis and Hugh are very friendly and Hugh, who was also my rainforest guide, explained a lot of plants during the hike. One time I went to Soufriere and didn’t make an appointment for the return shuttle, Denis passed me when I was on my way back from the botanical garden. He recognized me, stopped and gave me a ride back to the resort. Another day I was waiting for the mini bus at the hummingbird beach when Jo, the owner, passed by, stopped and gave me a ride up to la Haut.

Room Tip: Book one of the tree cashew premium vista rooms
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
8 Thank Armin69
Kelowna
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We spent 5 days here during our 2 week stay in St Lucia. We had booked a vacation property by owner for the first 8 days and were going to wing it after that. We used our computer to snope around and see what was available and we came across Le Haut Plantation so we booked it.
There was some concern when we first arrived as the rooms that we had booked were not ready to go but they upgraded us to the most incredible rooms I have ever stayed in. The views to Soufriere and the Pitons were spectacular and the surrounding gardens, beautiful.
We ate all our meals at the restaurant and we were never dissappointed in what we were served, everything tested great. The staff were incredibly happy and helpful, the view was amazing again and it was very reasonably priced. You also have a really good view of the drive through volcano from there (though I am not to sure why they call it a drive through vulcano?). If you get the chance to go and visit the volcano, it is kind of a haywire setup to get in there but well worth the trip. The botanical gardnes are a day trip that you have to do while your there as well, in a word, incredible. We went into Soufriere one day and snooped around, interesting little city. Also went to a sugar cane plantation nearby had a tour and my wife and best friend went zip lining there which seemed to be the highlight for my wife. All in all it was a wonderful holiday filled with great food, nice people and wonderful landscapes.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BCparamadic
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed May 29, 2011

During our 10 days on the island, we stayed at two other places high on a hill where you either had to take a shuttle or a trolly to get to your room. This place was easy to find, easy to park, easy to get to your room and had excellent views of the Pitons, city, and ocean. We did get an upgrade to the Superior room but it was super. They put flowers on the bed, all over the room, nice veranda. No air conditioning but we didn't need it in May. Resturant was good for dinner and reasonably priced and the breakfast was a full breakfast with local fruit and Chocolate Tea. Loved the infinity pool too! Flat screen TV and wireless but that was kinda spotty. Free shuttle to Anse Chastenat beach which is bit of experience driving on your own.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Positive
+ Its green, tranquil and has a great view
+ Great rooms and nice pool
+ office staff drivers etc are friendly and helpful
+ It is walkable from town, though a tough walk - 1.5 miles, 350 mtrs elevation gain.

Negative
+ resturant menu needs a serious overhaul, all the plates are identical except for the type of fish. The meals are ok in themselves, just the menu is limited to 5 dishes which never change.
+ resturant staff can be surly and service was poor sometimes.
+ $20 taxi to town in the evening if you want to eat elsewhere - believe me you will !
+ location can be limiting given they only offer two shuttles per day.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank outawrdbound
Sherbrooke, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We went to St-Lucia because two friends of us were getting married at the famous Jade Mountain Resort. We couldn't afford the extravagant fees of the Jade Mountain, we were then looking for something less expensive in Soufriere.
LOCATION: When we arrived at La Haut Resort, we were totally amazed by the beauty of the site. It's a piece of paradise. It's located way up in the mountain, making it a sight of interest. We had a wonderful view of the pitons and the volcano.
The hotel is located about 5 minutes drive from downtown, which is perfect. After visiting the town of Soufriere, we were very satisfied with our choice of NOT staying down there. The hotel offers a shuttle service twice a day to town or to the Anse Chastanet beach, and from these places back to the hotel. Anse Chastanet beach is very quiet and beautiful. You will find there all services and entertaining you'd like: restaurant, bar, towels, chairs, scuba, snorkeling, kayak, water taxi, etc. (all of them are at a cost).
Or you can as well enjoy the 2 pools of the hotel, which one of them is an infinity pool.
ROOMS AND BREAKFAST: The rooms are big, very clean, with balconies, with hot and cold water, wireless internet is available near the office, basket of fresh fruits are furnished every morning (complimentary), and the complementary breakfast is of great value (eggs, french toast, coffee or tea, omelettes, creole bread, etc.) A net was installed over the bed, but we didn't use it every night and we were not bothered with bugs.
STAFF: We've never seen a staff that much dedicated. They were of very great help. It was my girlfriend's birthday during our stay and they organised a special "happy birthday" room set up with cake, candles, baloons and flowers. Because we were in the low season, they even upgraded us in a bigger room without any extra charges.
RESTAURANT: Excellent! A little less variety than what we're used to in Canada, but when you think of it, there's no need of extra fuss. The fruits and vegetables are fresh and local. Basically, your choices are chicken, beef or fish with all kind of Caribbean flavors such as curry, creole, spicy, lime and ginger, tartare, herbs, etc. It seemed to us that the restaurant was part of a guided tour. Probably because of the quality of the food and the location.
GENERAL APPRECIATION: I think you could not find a better place. It's worth every dollar you pay (and even more).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Karine_Perreault
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Wonderful accommodations, welcoming staff. We both want to return and highly recommend staying at La Haut.

Premium Vista Room:
Large room with king-sized bed (complete with mosquito netting), fridge, and small kitchen area. Two large French doors that opened on to a spacious deck with an amazing, amazing view of the Pitons, Soufriere, and Soufriere Bay. Fresh fruit every morning. Cable TV in room. No air conditioning but at night, with the doors open and the fan on, the temperature is perfect.

Tours arranged through the front office were excellent and reasonably priced.
1. Soufriere - Botanical Gardens, Volcano, Sulphur Springs, Diamond Falls - definitely recommend
2. Gros Piton climb - definitely recommend
3. Sunset sail - spectacular

La Haut Restaurant
La Haut's restaurant has wonderful, delicious food and modest prices - our personal favorite. They also have a fully stocked bar. Also dined at Ladera, Hummingbird, Anse Chastanet (La Haut was better).

Pools:
Two pools. One by the restaurant and one infinity pool by the owner's house, both have incredible views.

Room Tip: Definitely recommend a premium vista room.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple