“The Perfect Honeymoon”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Hurghada, Egypt
“The Perfect Honeymoon”
Reviewed August 1, 2010

It's been almost a year since I got back from Stonefield but I just had to write this!
i went to Stonefield for a week as part of a one month honeymoon that included Orlando, Miami and Vegas and I can definitely say that Stonefield was the best part of the trip.
It is the perfect honeymoon destination with wonderful views of the ocean and the pitons. We were so amazed everyday by sunset it was just beautiful! The hotel is very authentic you can feel the Caribbean vibe all around you.
The privacy factor was so important to us and we couldn't have hoped for anything better. We sometimes felt like there was no one else for miles around us!
The staff also were very friendly and going out of their way to make our stay even more better. They even gave us a free upgrade to a suite with a full kitchen and a living room
They also have an amazing spa, you should try the couple's massage it's just awesome.
All in all this island and especially this hotel are the perfect honeymoon destination it was all I imagined for a honeymoon.
Just don't forget to stock up on insect repellent, the mosquitoes could eat you up over there but it's just all part of the Caribbean experience i guess :)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We just returned from four nights, five days at Stonefield Resort. It was the best relaxation experience I have experienced. The resort though simple has staff that is very kind, the restaurant food was to die for and you must try the banana jam, our airport transfer driver, Baby Shaq was marvelous. He knows everyone on the island and you should be sure to ask for him by name. We enjoyed a personal tour of the botanical gardens with "Alexander the Great" and he is Great. The Resort was very clean, the view from our bungalow was postcard perfect, the staff very helpful. Be sure to bring your sunblock, bug spray and speakers for your I-Pod. You will need all of them. In July, it is fairly warm but continuous dips in the pool or trips to the beach cool you down. The A/C is not the traditional A/C but you manage. It was fairly warm at night but we were so tired from our day time adventures that we quickly fell asleep. You will encounter short "sunshine showers" but they pass quickly. A private tour of the area is a greatway to get a feel for the local culture. I would recommend this resort and island to anyone that is looking for a complete get away.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Maine
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Our amazing experience with Stonefield started the moment we walked out of the airport. There was a taxi there waiting to pick us up, the ride back wasnt as bad as I've seen described, there are lots of hairpin turns but nothing terrible.

Check in was quick & easy & we got the villa we wanted which was Frangipani. The place was perfect. The bed was comfy, the air conditioner worked, the view was the best part, & the private pool was just as good, we brought floats with us as recommended on here & we spent a lot of time floating in the pool drinking rum. Our villa was beautiful & very private, everything we wanted & expected it to be. We never even used the main pool because we loved ours so much.

We got the Romance package, based on other reviews of how large the servings are & not needing lunch & it worked perfectly for us. We did lunch a few times just to try things but most days we were still too full from breakfast.

We took a taxi to town to get St Lucia's Piton beer & Bounty rum as suggested & to stock up on snacks, it was well worth the trip & we ended up going back for more beer. We didnt bother changing our money to EU. Everywhere we went took US & they were very good with the exchange rate which is $1 US to $2.70 EU.

The food at Mango Tree was great. We were never disappointed. There is a huge variety of food as the dinner menu changes daily. They have a vegan menu also which was perfect for me because I am a very picky eater. My husband is not a picky eater & tried several new things while we were there & loved it all, there wasnt a single thing either of us didnt like. The staff was great & very friendly, we actually missed a few of them after we left. We had a blast at the Thursday night BBQ, the entertainment was lots of fun. Breakfast was very good & lunch was also.

The only setback to us when planning was the fact that Stonefield wasnt on a beach, we found when we got there that we were glad it wasnt on a beach. We had a much better time floating in our pool than we did at the beach. The shuttle ride to Jalousie was quick & once we were there we were very glad we had chosen Stonfield with their private villa's. The beach was nice but we were happy we werent staying there.

The excursions included in our package were fun, especially the sunset cruise. We also enjoyed the Toraille water fall. We ended up hiring a taxi to take us to the botanical gardens & the mineral waterfall & the drive in volcano which were all beautiful & later in the week we hired another one to take us up to Castries to do some shopping. We also got approached by a friendly man named Darell while at Jalousie who talked us into going over in his water taxi to Anse Chastanet to go snorkeling, it was one of my favorite parts of our trip.

I got a massage at the Bamboo Door spa that Stonefield has & it was amazing. The place was beautiful & very relaxing. We also went on the nature trail to see the petroglyphs which were very cool.

The staff at reception were very friendly & helpful. We went up there several times to use the internet because for some reason our computer didnt like the wireless signal at the restaurant. We loved that there was no tv & we never found the need for the radio either.

The only part that we didnt like is that both their website & the information we got from them stated that children under the age of 4 are not accepted there but there were 2 infants & 2 other children that were younger than that staying there during our time there, we didnt complain because we assumed it was an exception because there was a fairly large wedding happening there during our stay & they were all guests, I think the amount of money they spent made them an exception to the rule. It wasnt terrible, but we really could have done without the baby crying in the villa next to us.

We couldnt have been happier that we chose Stonefield. It was everything we wanted & it was perfect for us. We're looking forward to visiting St Lucia again & when we do we will be staying at Stonefield again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Johnston2010
Netherlands
Reviewed June 19, 2010

Great place. We had the 3 bedroom villa with huge swimming pool. It really was our home-away-from-home for a few days. Big outside terrace, 'open' villa, outside showers, kitchen to prepare our cocktails with the super fresh mangos falling from the trees in our 'garden'. Heaven! There was no reason to leave our villa (except for some shopping in Soufriere).
Don't expect too much from the other services - the restaurant serves so-so food for a lot of money. Better go to Soufriere (10 mins by car) and mingle with the locals for a delicious dinner.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Tinton Falls, New Jersey
Reviewed June 17, 2010

Highly recommend this hidden gem for the romantics and couples seeking secluded private villas in a resort setting. Each of the 17 villas have different names and are nestled among foliage offering breath taking Pitons views right from your patio. The Pitons are so close to this resort they almost look fake. The Pitons welcome you each morning as you sit on your private hidden porch in tall rockers or Swim in your own private patio/porch pool or lay in your white-netted hammock. Your private bathroom & closet inside your bedroom contains two doors one allowing you to enter from your bedroom and the another one opens up to your hidden private outdoor shower. The spa treatments at this Resort are also delightful and the food is delectable. Ernie the GM is a lovely personable and funny guy. He picked fruit from one the hotel’s plantation trees and the ladies in the restaurant whipped us up a fantastic fruit punch. Can’t wait to go back. A must stay in Soufriere, area where additionally most of the excursions exist, 40 minutes from St. Lucia Hewanorra International Airport.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
stonevillas, General Manager at Stonefield Estate Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2010
thank you so much for your review. we look forward to your next visit where we will pick some more fruits.

REGARDS

ERNIE
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 17, 2010

Having never been to St. Lucia, my wife and I relied heavily on photos and reviews when picking a resort for our honeymoon. Knowing we were going to spend a crazy week of partying in Key West just before we came to St. Lucia, a happening nightlife wasn't our main focus. Our main goal was to find a place that had stunning views, privacy, and romantic settings. After a lot of research and reading a lot of reviews we decided on the Stonefield Estate Villa Resort. And we are soooooo glad we did!
One tip that we are very glad we took into consideration was: "decide ahead of time what excursion/activities you plan on doing in St. Lucia, and find accommodations that are close by". Meaning if most of the excursions you will be doing are in the south of the island, than it's in your best interest to stay in the south. Gas is RIDICULOUSLY expensive in St. Lucia, and therefore cab rides will knock your socks off. The roads there have more switchbacks and hairpin turns than I have seen in any place in my entire life, so traveling short distances can take a lot longer than it would seem (esp if u tend to get car/motion sick). The main reason my wife and I chose St. Lucia over other Caribbean islands was because of the rain forest, and most of the rain forest excursions we wanted to do were in the south of the island.
We stayed in the Bamboo Villa. And for the most part we had extreme privacy! If some of the other guests in surrounding villas stood at the edge of their pool, or looked up from their walkways they could see certain areas of our villa, but nothing that was of a concern for us. Our villa was perfectly sized, the pool was clean and very refreshing, and the views were Incredible!!! Great breezes. Hammock was very comfortable. Outdoor shower was Very cool! Such a unique feature... lots of fun! :) Overall exactly what we were looking for in a villa and well worth it!
Only down side of the villa, or disappointing thing I should say was the air conditioner. I know going to the tropics in June, I should't be complaining about the heat. But it's an issue for me so ahead of time I made sure we had one of the villas that had AC. In our villa the AC is essentially ineffective because all the rooms have screened windows. The room was never able to get cold... not even refreshingly cool. And the unit is placed in a way that you couldn't even lay down in the bed and have it blowing on you if you needed to cool down (or if you're like me who likes to have a cool breeze hit you while you sleep). The only way to get the AC breeze on you was to stand directly beneath it. Fortunately the humidity and temperature was MUCH better than it was in Key West- surprising considering how much farther south St. Lucia is to FL.
We ate at the restaurant for most meals. We decided that we wouldn't eat or drink enough while in St. Lucia to make the all inclusive worth while. The food for the most part was Excellent! Some appetizers were AMAZING! Only twice out of 15-20 meals was I only so-so about the food. But it is pretty pricey... as are most things on the island. So we took the approach that this is our honeymoon... only do it once... so don't worry about it :P The staff at the Mango Tree (and the entire resort for that matter) were Very friendly, and very professional/helpful. Even when I left a pouch containing my headphones and ipod on the plane, they had a driver at the airport the next day who went to the 'lost and found' to pick them up for me and delivered them to my villa the next day. Unfortunately somewhere along the line at the airport the ipod was stolen, so I only got the headphones back. To the drivers defense the 'lost and found' sheet only stated that headphones were found.... so I guess I can chalk that up to my fault.
Lastly, the excursions we took were well worth it. We did the Canopy Tree Top Ziplining. One word- AMAZING. We were actually picked up an hour late that morning which ticked me off (because my wife woke up at 5:45am to be ready). But it turned out to be a blessing, because instead of being with the large group (where u have to wait in a line to do each of the 11 zips) we got a personal tour with our own guides. No waiting, and they even took the time to use our camera to film themselves on the ziplines!! (both your hands are occupied on the run, so filming while ur zipping is impossible... unless u start filming and dangle it from ur neck). We went to Jalousie and Anse Chastanet beaches. Both were very nice- with really nice views. Snorkling at both were pretty good. As some other reviewers mentioned... beware of the invisible jelly fish. Nothing life threatening, but annoyingly painful. Shopped at Castries via personal taxi when our tour was cancelled. Loooong windy drive, but it saved us a lot of money and our driver was nice enough to stop at photo op spots along the way. We hit a lot of the spots that were on one of the Island Tours too... The Soufriere Waterfall Experience was very cool, and a unique experience! Entrance is only $2 US dollars per person. The excursion cost quite a bit more thru the hotel. I never sat to figure out how much a private taxi would be to take you there, but I would seem to think you could save money doing it on your own. We also walked down to Soufriere. Not much for tourists to do down there as far as I saw... people were friendly, but stared us down lol. Couple shops, but the walk back up to Stonefield in the peak heat of the day was TORTURE!!
The bugs seem to be an issue that varies from review to review. Our villa was totally screened in and we were very good about keeping the doors closed to keep the bugs out. But of course this is the tropics and you're staying in the middle of a rain forest... so bugs are going to get in. St. Lucian bugs must have a taste for Swedish blood... because they ate my wife alive. Her legs were Covered in bites. Miraculously until the last night I was basically left alone! And those bites linger for days after they appear. Bug spray and after bite spray seemed to offer little relief for my wife, and I really have no advice as to how to handle it any better than we tried.
In closing we'd definitely be interested in returning to St. Lucia. We loved Stonefield and wouldn't be opposed to staying there again on our next visit. However, on our next visit, I doubt we will be coming off a week of partying like we were this trip... so we may be looking for more stimulation. Stonefield was IDEAL for views and privacy... but not so much for nightlife or action with other couples. Well worth the money, we had an amazing honeymoon. Thanks to the entire staff for making it an unforgetable trip!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank calandraart
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed June 11, 2010

FINALLY! It is coming up on our one year anniversary since we came to Soufriere to get married and honeymoon at Stonefield.I wanted to make sure that I wrote a review so that you all know how incredible this place is and that you wont regret coming to Stonefield.
After doing much research on where to go, this is the place! Each villa is very private and like having your own little home in paradise. Full kitchen, bedroom, amazing outdoor shower, your own private plunge pool, a large deck with a hammock and a beautiful view of the pitons! We stayed in the Flamboyant. It was so private that we walked around naked outside as we sipped on margaritas and enjoyed our own private plunge pool. Not a soul could see us. It was real cool to have that much privacy all the while having a panoramic view of the ocean and the Pitons! Ernie, the manager did a great job in welcoming all of those who first arrived by holding a reception by the pool. He even cut down the best-tasting mangos in the world for me. They are right there on the trees and lots of them. So succulent and juicy I was OOOOOOOOhing the entire time I was eating it.

Danalia, the wedding planner could not, I say could not, have made our wedding better. She chose the most beautiful waterfall around just outside of Soufriere. It was surrounded by lush tropical vegetation. Our local female pastor was not just an ordinary run-of -mill- get- it- done wedding officiator. She incorporated how important the bond of marriage is forever and that it should be a marriage centered around God. She was superb and very sweet. She takes her job very seriously even though I am sure she does this daily. I must mention that we were on our way to the waterfall dressed in our wedding attire (just me and my husband) and as we were almost there, I realized I forgot my beautiful tropical bouquet in the fridge back in the villa. I was so disappointed about not having my bouquet and not having time to go back to get it and suddenly, just before our ceremony, my bouquet showed up. Our driver had called Danalia and she surprised me. It was so touching that she cared enough to make our wedding perfect. Our photographer was fantastic and took beautiful, professional photos of our ceremony.

From hiking the petit peton, to the fish fry, to the volcano, to jalouise beach, etc. We had an amazing time! The food at the Mango Tree restaurant there at Stonefield has great food. A visit to the Jade mountain restaurant is a must- great food, service, views-very exclusive. Will Smith and Jada were just there before us. This is also the hotel where the last ABC's the Bachelor (with Jake) was filmed. One more thing, find a local dude (we found a guy down below on the beach at the base of the Pitons) to take us out in his boat for a day and snorkel and go to a beach. We went by the bat cave on the way. You have to check it out. It was close to dusk and there was this huge crack down the cliff and millions of bats. You could hear them. It was super cool. I cant say enough good things about staying here and choosing Soufriere over the more commercial places in St. Lucia like Sandals etc. I heard from others on our flight that Soufriere is much more beautiful. If you want any more info, contact me. I'd be glad to help out! One more tip, take a small fan in your suitcase. Even though there is a window unit airconditioner and mosquito netting, this will blow any extra mosquitos off-plus keep you cool.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Snooozzzze
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#7 of 11 in Soufriere
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Anse Cochon

Been to Stonefield Estate Resort? Share your experiences!