“A memorable experience in more ways than one”

Stonefield Estate Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
A TripAdvisor Member
“A memorable experience in more ways than one”
Reviewed July 23, 2005

This was our first trip to a Carribbean island, and we chose Stonefield Villas because of the great website - and the place was just as we expected. We stayed in the Orchid, and it was great - very private, a great view, just big enough, a good bed, and a great garden bathroom (I would suggest placing screening above the planted area.) The staff was courteous and helpful, especially the women at The Mango Tree (especially Bellkiss!), and the food was great! I am a vegetarian, and Mrs. Brown wrote up a list of menu items from which I could choose for that week - the ones I selected were excellent! We did expect better beach access, and a prettier beach "at the bottom of the hill", but the short drive over to the Jalousie Beach was fine, and there we found the beach you expect to see on the islands. We had rented a car at the Vieux Fort airport, but found that driving on the left on the narrow winding roads was too nerve-wracking for any distance, and we ended up going on their tours a lot anyway. So, if we go back, we'll use their shuttle service and save the $400.
On Saturday, about half-way through the visit I had the experience I hope never to repeat. We had just started down from the top of the Petite Piton (yes, the one in the picture!) and I slipped going through "the rabbit hole" (I found out later I had broken a bone in my foot). After I had made it back to the Villas, the staff was MOST concerned, and came over to clean my scrapes, bring ice for my swollen foot as well as other cold medicinal beverages :-), and the next morning, a stout walking staff, freshly cut from one of their trees. Aly Brown paid me a visit to make sure I was OK, and I told him I doubted other places would have been that attentive.
I agree with another writer that complimentary coffee in the villa would be nice, but I didn't mind the walk over to the Mango Tree to get a pot of coffee (and it gave me a chance to find a fresh mango for our morning shake!) Speaking of food, if you go in the season, you will be able to OD on mangos. And, be sure to eat a red avocado - they are the best ever, not like what we get in the States. Also, be sure to try a Piton beer, either the regular brew or the ginger Shandy!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Fairport, New York
Reviewed July 18, 2005

I think the pictures tell it all. Excellent location, accomodations!

Flew into Viuex Fort and when we landed the plane filled with fog since it came from high altitude and landed in steamy St. Lucia. Caught St. Lucia Helicoptors for flight to Jelouise landing pad and taxi ride to Stonefield.

We stayed in Rain Tree which had a plunge (we upgraded a couple of weeks before vacation to a plunge pool and it was a great choice). Since these are open air villas you get the sounds and feel of the Island. Brought along a small tape recorder to tape the night nioses and listen to them some nights back at home, especially on a cold winter night.

Food was OK, kind of bland, but plentiful, we opted for the all inclusive. The staff at the Mango Tree restaurant as well at Stonefield were great. They went out of their way to make our vacation enjoyable.

Upon our return to the airport we asked if we could stop at the Lighthouse and the Stonefield management was more than helpful. After dropping off a group for an early flight they droive us up to the Lighthouse for some amazing views and then back to the airport for our flight.

All in all I would definitely go back to St. Lucia and Stonefield Estates!

4 Thank jjgalusha58
Reviewed July 4, 2005

I came to the Stonefield for a friend's wedding and I left wishing I had had mine there. We(the wedding party including the bride) were floating in the pool with pina coladas in our hand one hour before the ceremony. You can not have a more stress free wedding than this. Our room had the most incredible views I have ever seen and the beaches were so pristine.The islanders were very helpful and friendly and the food was excellent. It took me a week to get back into step with the real world!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Canton,Ohio
Reviewed July 2, 2005

We enjoyed our visit to the Stonefield Villas, but we had just come from 5 days at the Ti-Kaye Resort in Anse Cochon, and found ourselves constantly comparing it to Ti-Kaye. Ti-Kaye is truly a 5 star resort when it comes to service. We found that lacking at Stonefield. We were warmly greeted at Ti-Kaye and shown around the resort by a friendly staff while our luggage was unloaded into our villa. Upon arriving at Stonefield, a female staff member quickly showed us to our villa, as we dragged our heavy suitcases inside. When I asked her about coffee, as there was a coffeemaker in our room, she said we would have to go into town to purchase coffee if we wanted it. (the last thing we would want to do on vacation is grocery shop) I felt that we were paying $275. night plus 18% tax , twice what the Ti-Kaye was, and they couldn't provide coffee in the rooms! What's up with that? Fortunately, we were located near the restaurant so we went over and paid $2.50 for a cup of coffee so we could sit out on our veranda and enjoy the beautiful view having coffee in the morning. I just feel that when you pay that much for a room, complimentary coffee should be provided. We did not have any bottled water in the refrigerator, and I think they should leave one complimentary bottle for you. It was these little gestures that was lacking at the Stonefield that can easily be corrected by management. We moved from Ti-Kaye just so we could see another part of the island and the spectacular view of the Pitons was worth it, as was swimming at the beach at the Jalousie Resort. It was simply beautiful. The staff at Stonefield was not friendly, and our first afternoon there laying by the pool, there were only a few other guests there, but no one from management or staff ever said hello or anything to us. It wasn't until 2 days later that we finally met Mr. Brown, and he was very nice to us as we were checking out. I do want to emphasize how friendly several of the restaurant waitresses were and really helped make our stay much better and made us feel wecome. It was certainly not the happy atmosphere and feeling we had experienced at Ti-Kaye. The villas themselves were nice, but very hot with no air conditioning. I think it was the week we were there that there very little breeze, and there was only one fan high up in the great room making for little air circulation. It was hard to sleep at night.We have traveled quite a bit in the Carribbean, and I kept thinking what a lush beautiful resort Stonefield was, and how it could turned into a great resort with some necessary changes.

12 Thank LilTrish
, General manager at Stonefield Estate Resort, responded to this review, July 7, 2005
Dear past clients,

My sincere apologies for my staffs apparent lack of attention to you. In the last month we have received two bad reports on trip advisor concerning staff with your report being the second. In all honesty I have always received nothing but praise about my staff. For the past year no one has ever come to me directly to complain about staff being anything but friendly and always willing to help and in fact, my comment sheets show otherwise coming directly from my guests. I think it is important that when any guest feels this way, it should be communicated back to management and it’s a shame no one has said this to me through our comment sheets to date. With regards to management, I really can’t be there for every arrival or even guarantee I will meet every client who comes to Stonefield. I make a point to greet every guest whom I make contact with and try to meet as many guests as possible. I have traveled to 9 hotels in the last 2 years and never met the management of any of these properties. I certainly don’t feel like they don’t care about my experience at their resort. And if for some reason some thing does go wrong I especially.. don’t feel like they don’t care, after all we all make mistakes. I suppose as a manager myself, I understand that you can only rely on your staff and if there is a problem I simply expect them to rectify it. Our “five star” property: Please note that Stonefield does not purport to be a 5 star resort and while I agree that we have the potential to become one of the best we try to maintain a barefoot experience like no other. The idea at Stonefield Estate Villa Resort is to simply be your self in a very casual atmosphere. Your comment about service troubles me and I have most certainly taken this up with ALL my staff. We always go beyond the call of duty to ensure that every clients stay is pleasant. Luggage: we have a driver on property specifically for this reason. Unfortunately the driver had gone to drop off other luggage and was not present when you arrived. Normally the luggage would remain at reception and await drop off. I am under the impression that you had preferred to carry your luggage and if this was not so then I apologize for any miscommunication on our part. I have been at reception on many occasions observing clients insisting on carrying their luggage to reception for check out. Some people would simply prefer to carry their luggage themselves. The coffee in rooms I totally agree with. We have always had coffee in our rooms until we had some problems with suppliers. We removed it from our amenities list so no one would expect it. With a new solution, we plan to continue this complimentary amenity by next week. Water you should have received in the room and my apologies for not receiving it. Clients, I think every hotel I have been to ( and I have been to some great ones), has some thing or other I disagree with or can do with improvements and critiques of some kind. Improvement is a word that always remains in the vocabulary of all managers whether it’s in the hotel industry or any other. What’s important is that clients should make it their duty to report any issues, problems and inconsistencies that might be present. It’s a shame I cannot change your experience but I do I feel lucky that I can at least catch these inconsistencies on the internet through trip advisor. So thank you for your comments especially recognizing how beautiful this place is and I do hope you see a different stonefield next time you visit.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 13, 2005

We chose St. Lucia for the views of the Pitons next to the sea. Then we chose Stonefield because it perfectly suited our dreams of an ideal honeymoon resort. We couldn't have had the amazing experience we just had -anywhere else. Stonefield is perfectly located. The north of St. Lucia is too far from the Pitons and not distinctive enough from other caribbean islands. The Jalousie has a great beach with good snorkeling and great visibility- but its a lot more expensive and the food is terrible. Stonefield offers free shuttles there so we didn't miss out on anything at that resort. Ladera is a little too far away from Soufriere town (but has great food and views) and Anse Chastanet is really too deserted down a bad road. All other roads were great. The tours are something I wouldn't do again, but if you find they are cheaper than renting a car it may be worth it. Eat at the Mango Tree restaurant especially when they have live music and try the fresh juices (passion fruit and tamarind) in season. Those were heavenly and not available at the other resorts. Our villa, Frangipani, was beautiful, especially with its great view and huge pool and extra seclusion at the end of the property. We had privacy, comfort, luxury, peace, incredible views, & great service. We really loved Stonefield and plan to return!

12 Thank Breean
, General Manager at Stonefield Estate Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2005
I just wanted to say Thank You!!! I often go on trip advisor to see what everyone thinks of Stonefield and find that its most times good and sometimes not so good. I always respond to the negative reviews and give "the other side of the coin" as I feel I owe it to everyone. So today I would like to thank all of my past guests who loved, enjoyed and speak highly of our resort and also those who thought otherwise and have enabled us to improve through their negative reviews. It has been a great year and we really could not have done it without you. Thank you all!
Reviewed June 13, 2005

My husband and I were married at Stonefield last May and I am embarrassed that it has taken me so long to write this review.

We researched several hotels in the area and thought Stonefield (based on the description) would be the ideal place for our wedding - as it could easily and cost efficiently accommodate our families.

Our experience was incredible! All of the staff were always willing to help and Patricia made our wedding a tropical paradise :) Planning a wedding from so far away caused some anxiety, but it turned out more beautiful than we had imagined and every detail was attended to in advance.

I highly recommend Stonefield to anyone who is looking for a true Caribbean get away. We wanted no TVs, no ac and no computers...not to mention we were serenaded to sleep every evening by the sounds of nightlife.

As other reviewers have noted, the Mango Tree Restaurant service does take a while - but the view is great and drinks are plentiful. I thought the staff always went out of the way to ensure a pleasant stay.

Thank you to Aly, Patricia and staff!!

Jessica and Bryan Bennett

• Stayed May 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
PA
Reviewed June 11, 2005

Stonefield is a romantic, rustic hideaway. Their website gives an accurate description of the resort. It's very secluded and is perfect if the weather allows you to get to the beach. But on rainy days, there is nothing to do -- no TV, internet, telephone. Although Soufriere is five minutes away, it also does not offer any entertainment. Jalousie may be a better pick.

2 Thank tbeth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#7 of 11 in Soufriere
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Anse Cochon

Been to Stonefield Estate Resort? Share your experiences!