“Heavenly Honeymoon Hotel”

Stonefield Villa Resort
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stopped for 10 nights in June on our delayed honeymoon, having first spent 5 days in New York. The change of pace was just what we needed - from the moment we arrived we were made to feel special. We stopped in the Oleander Villa with views over the sea and Petit Piton - absolutely stunning.

The room cleanliness was great, and the private plunge pool and room were cleaned daily. Other reviewers have stated here that wi-fi is only available at reception and in the restaurant - whilst generally true we could get a signal from Oleander by the pool. Having said that, unless you really need to be connected for business then put the laptop away and soak in the superb atmosphere of this place and the views to die for.

The villa has an outside table and hammock big enough for two, private plunge pool with loungers, a lounge and kitchen and the bedroom. Bathroom has double sinks and an outside shower. All rooms were of a great size. The villa is totally private with no overlooking views from other villas. There is no phone in the villas - you are given a mobile phone for your stay with which to call reception which worked just fine.

Some work was being carried out on an adjacent villa during our stay which was occaisionally intrusive but not sustained or loud enough to cause a major issue. The loudest noise we had during our stay was the cicadas and frogs at night - the villas are set into mountainous jungle after all. They were seriousll loud, which we foudn very restful, but might not be to everyone's taste.

Stonefield is one of 5 or so luxury complexes in this the west part of the island, the main party centre is in the north of the island over an hour away, so if you want real party atmosphere this is not the place for you. Stonefield is right on top of the majority of the natural attractions in the area such as the (extremely) hot springs, various walks, plantation tours etc. It's worth mentioning that in some of the other luxury resorts in the area Aircon is not always available - It was very hot & humid when we visited and I was very glad that our bedroom had a very modern efficient (and near-silent) aircon unit.

The hotel is on the mountainside and does not have its own beach. A free shuttle van is run several times a day down to Sugar Beach (part of the Jalouise resort) and back, but we found hiring a car was the best option. The main roads here are of decent quality and lit at night, though they are twisty and have steep dropoffs. Anyone used to driving in the UK countryside would have very little problem, but those use to large wide straight roads might want to think carefully before hiring a car.

Anyway, back to the hotel - staff are very friendly and helpful with any queries. There is a lovely communal pool which is very underused, superb views from here and the restaurant also. The restaurant food was great - we ate here a couple of times and had breakfast each day (which was superb) - evening meals were pricey but not outlandish given the quality of the food and resort.

Overall, a great experience - we would happily go again.
Paul & Jonie

Room Tip: Oleander has wi-fi by the pool (just).
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank madforitdiver

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This resort is amazing! There are a lot of really expensive resorts on the island, but this one is so reasonable for what it offers! The staff was always going out of their way to accommodate guests and very friendly! The food at the restaurant was delicious!! And the rooms are so clean and surreal! You feel like you have the whole place to yourself, it's always so quiet and peaceful. And the views from the rooms and the restaurant are gorgeous! I thought it was going to be too good to be true before we arrived, but it exceeded our expectations. We will definitely stay here again! I HIGHLY recommend it!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Ashley0323
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 days it was a great way to celebrate our anniversary. The location is just out of town but its straight up hill so walking there is not suggested. The food was good and the people are great. I definitely recommend this place to go relax and spend some quiet quality time with your significant other

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I married and then honeymooned at the resort for 8 days. We stayed in the majestic ocean hillside view villa. It was better than advertised. We loved our private pool, hammock, outdoor shower and views of the ocean and pitons from our villa. The staff was friendly and attentive. The food at the Mango Tree was great. Breakfasts were delicious. We wish the resort had a private beach but the beaches were a close drive or little walk away. Our wedding ceremony was perfect and the photographer gave us great pictures. We can't wait to go back...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Casey J
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I'm not sure where to start, except to say that our week at Stonefield (our first visit to St Lucia) was the second-best vacation I've taken in my life (the first best being our honeymoon in the Galapagos). The setting is beyond breathtaking, and the sense of peace and relaxation is complete.

I've scoured the other reviews to discover what complaints other visitors had, and I think it comes down to this:

- If you're used to a rather insulated, air-conditioned, thoroughly modern all-inclusive experience, you may not feel completely comfortable in this more typically developing-world resort. The coffeemaker and the clock are not luxurious, and not every surface is obviously sanitized to US standards. We travel often to Mexico and stay at Mexican-owned hotels, and this is very comparable. The staff will work to make you comfortable, but at Stonefield you're already living in far more wealth and comfort than most St Lucians. If you really need an American-style accommodation, stay at a big corporate resort.

- If you like nightlife and parties and loud conversation, you'll want to be closer to the action. This is a quiet place that's great for meeting people and other couples one at a time and for learning about St Lucia by talking with the staff. The excitement you're looking for is elsewhere.

- If you are traveling with kids who are at a loss without a screen to look at and remotes in their hands, you're in the wrong place.

As others have noted, this is a locally owned estate significantly up a hill from the nearest beach (Malgretoute). While we were there, Malgretoute was unkempt, underpopulated and not very inviting, but they are building a hotel down there, so it may be cleaned up before too long. Meanwhile, other beaches such as Sugar Beach (Jalousie) and Anse Chastanet are an easy cab ride away. If you don't have a car and would like to see other parts of the island, it's also easy to hire a boat at Sugar Beach. Desmond, a trustworthy rascal with paintings of Bob Marley on his skiff, approached us on Sugar Beach and offered to take us up the west side of the island for the afternoon, and we're glad we took him up on it.

Our villa was Manchineel and we were instantly comfortable there. The only bugs we saw were the tiny ants that soon take advantage if you leave anything edible out on the kitchen counter. We enjoyed visits from the black hummingbirds and were amused by the cats, who carried on their cat business without paying much attention to us.

The staff was wonderful - helpful and naturally friendly almost to a person. Don't make the mistake I did and go home realizing you should have tipped more. Budget that in before you arrive so you can show the appreciation you feel.

You'd have a hard time convincing me to stay anywhere else were I to return to St Lucia. I can't remember ever feeling so stress-free in an unfamiliar country, and that was largely due to the warmth and and behind-the-scenes work of the staff of Stonefield Estates. Hats off to them.

Room Tip: Manchineel was ideal for us. We had a great view of both the Petit Piton and sunset over the ocean...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JohntheEditor
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Just stayed at this property and was very surprised by the pure beauty of it. I booked this last minute in Miami airport, well actually 3 hours before we landed at UVF airport. I decided to try staying on this side of the island since I usually stay in Rodney Bay. I am so glad I did and will probably never stay on that side again. We checked in super smooth and easy with a couple nice drinks to cool us off. I payed for a ocean view villa and we got Ginger Lily. I asked for an upgrade but one wouldn't be available until the next day, but she assured us we would like this villa. It was amazing, private pool, great view of the Piton and water, outdoor shower and nice king bed and free breakfast at the restaurant. Its also very close to Sugar Beach by taking the back road thru the property. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for superior views, luxury, romance and value. I will be going back for sure.

Room Tip: Book a ocean view, you wont be disappointed waking up to that view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed in Limemill villa for 6 nights as a family vacation. This is an old plantation property that was converted into a resort with incredible views of the Petit piton and the ocean. I never write reviews, but there are three reasons I choose to this time: 1) I had a wonderful conversation with the owner, a local St. Lucian woman. That warm and friendly conversation really made me feel welcome at her lovely property, and made the whole experience seem more personal. Staying in the corporate chains you rarely see a manager let alone the owner, so this was special to me. 2) The staff in the restaurant and at the front desk were exceptional. I would like to highlight Lisa in particular; a smile that lights up the room and service that far exceeded expectations. 3) Tet Paul Nature Trail - a hidden jewel with the best views of the Pitons. Only a few miles from the hotel, this is a must see stop that is not widely advertised. We met John at the entrance. He was our guide and the person responsible for making this trail available to tourists. His story of how this trail came to be is fascinating, and his passion and love of the land, nature, and people really inspired me. His knowledge of the plants and there local uses impressed everyone in the group. It is a few dollars entrance fee, and an easy walk on a well maintained path, but the view is worth far more... Personally, I think this is the best value on the island! John also provides private guide service and we hired him to hike through the rain forest so we could see the St. Lucian parrot. Awesome experience!! Our time with John really made the vacation memorable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank kiribako
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Stonefield Villa Resort? Share your experiences!