“Magical hotel”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Magical hotel”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This hotel has a lofty position overlooking Le Petit Piton and the ocean. You could not have a better view on the island and it was truly magical. All the villas are large with their own pool and outside shower! It was understated luxury without the stuffiness of a 5 star resort. The hotel is small and has a boutique feel. The Mango restaurant has the best view of all and served interesting and delicious food in sensible portions. If you want to go to the beach a shuttle takes you to nearby Sugar beach. We stayed there a week and would definitely recommend this hotel. My only caveat is that it is not cheap and for a weeks stay for two we paid $3000 plus food and excursions on top of $1200. Bearing in mind that St Lucia is an expensive island I still feel we got what we paid for and would definitely go again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The staff at Stonefield are friendly and helpful in the typical, laid back St. Lucian way (it's not US luxury hotel promptness, but it will get addressed). Our villa (Hibiscus) is on the edge of the property, completely private and recommended for couples. We checked out nearby spots like Jalousie/Sugar Beach and Ladera while we were in Soufriere, and while they are more upscale, we came away certain we made the right choice relative to price (we enjoyed nice meals at the other spots). Many reviewers have noted the lack of WiFi in villas, no game/common rooms, no TVs or phones, and some mosquitos. All correct. We found Stonefield was ideal for a long weekend of unplugging and getting outside to the beach, hiking, diving/snorkeling and sight-seeing.

Our only issue was booking through the Hotel Plus portal. We originally booked a higher grade villa, which turned out not to be available. While Hotel Plus alerted us to the mistake before the trip, they made it seem like it was the hotel's fault and once it was clear it was not, they used used a myriad of excuses to avoid addressing the mistake. Highly recommend all travelers contact their hotel directly if the online option is Hotel Plus; and hotels should find themselves a different sales online reservations vendor. Stonefield's reservations staff was very helpful over email and on the phone.

Room Tip: Hibiscus and Frangiapani are on the edge of the property and totally private.
Horsham, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We traveled here the first week of January for our annual "winter" vacation. It was our first time in St. Lucia and we were looking for something laid back and relaxing. Stonefield fit the bill. Let me stress that this is not your typical "Sandals" resort. If you are looking for activities, night life, etc ... book somewhere else. If you want to lounge by the pool and enjoy some of the best views of the island then this is the place for you.

We arrived late on a Saturday night after getting lost a few times while driving. We had rented a car which I highly recommend and we pulled up to the resort just after dark. We were met with some sort of tropical drinks and wet towels at reception which was nice and unexpected. The two ladies at the desk (I can't remember their names) were very helpful and answered any questions we had about the island, activities, directions, etc ... We were then taken to our room which was the Frangipani villa. Since it was after dark we couldn't really take in the views yet but we were very excited after seeing the villa. We were given a quick tour with some info about the mini bar, shower, lights, and pool and then left alone to enjoy our room. We were also given a complimentary cell phone for the week which was pretty awesome as there are no phones in the room. I read some other reviews that says they charge you for this but it was complimentary for us. They also recommended we take this with us as we explore the island as neither of our cells had service. A bonus in my book.

A little more about the room. As said before there is no phone, TV, or internet in the room. You are literally in a rainforest with very little modern amenities. But that's exactly what we wanted. There was a mini fridge/mini bar, a blender, coffee pot, sink, and some basic tableware. The mini bar was pretty bare and they charge you extra for it. I believe there were four Piton beers, a bottle of wine, a bottle of rum, some sodas, and some snacks. However if you use any of it they refill it daily. The bed was comfortable in my opinion with the mosquito net as stated on their web site. And yes the outdoor shower ... In my opinion it was pretty awesome. I believe the water is solar heated and they have you turn a switch on inside the villa to get hot water. We took showers every day at several different times and never did we not have hot water. It was a neat experience showering with the sounds of the rainforest around you. Our villa was also air conditioned and we never had any problem with getting it cool inside but it was somewhat noisy when turned on. Outside the villa was our awesome plunge pool. I was suprised the pool was so big. Probably four feet deep on one end and over my head on the other. As I said we stayed in Frangipani which is the majestic piton ocean view and it lives up to it's name. Looking out over the pool is one of the best panoramic views you will ever see. I highly recommend one of these villas. And on a side note several of the other reviews stated there were crazy amounts of bugs and mosquitoes. It may have been the season we visited but we barely encountered any of these critters. I was pleasantly surprised. It was even safe enough to leave our door open and not be worried about being infested.

Up a short hill from our Villa is the Mango Tree restaurant. I have mixed feelings about the food here. First of we were on the all inclusive plan which includes alcohol, lunch, and dinner and it seemed like there wasn't much organization as to who was actually part of this plan. Several times we got receipts where we were charged when we shouldn't have been. However the wait staff was very nice and always removed the charges when we told them we were on the plan. They do have some stipulations in the inclusive plan which are called "up charges". For example any imported beer, the lobster, and the steak all generate these up charges. I can't quite remember the actual charge but I'm guessing it was close to $20 US extra for the meals. My other issue is that the mini bar was not included in this plan. Very odd. I have to agree that I'm not sure the inclusive plan was worth it. I think it depends on what you order and if you're like us and want to enjoy a few drinks with lunch and dinner then it could add up significantly. Most of the most meals were over $30 US with drinks around $10 US. In hindsight I probably would've skipped the inclusive plan and bought a few more supplies at the local store in Soufriere which we ended up doing anyway. As far as the food is concerned it was pretty decent. They have some really good appetizers with the lobster ravioli being my favorite. Some of the other reviews were correct in saying the menu is limited but there is enough there to eat something different for the entire week. Breakfast was pretty good with fresh rolls and jam every morning and a decent amount of options the menu. The banana pancakes are amazing. Lunch wasn't much different and they actually have some really good burgers on the menu. They did have their BBQ night which was really good. It was a buffet style with wings, ribs, chicken, fish and a few other options. Plus they had fire eaters perform the same night. Ver cool. Overall I would say the service was a bit slow at first depending on how busy it was especially at dinner but during the less crowded times they were pretty on spot. Desiree and Lisa were awesome. They knew our names, villa, and the activities we had done or were planning. There was always a delightful conversation with them. We did not visit the spa so I can't relly comment on this but I heard it was great.

As for the location I was very happy with our choice. Stonefield is located pretty much on the side of the mountain to the north of the Petit Piton. There is beach directly below it which is about a 10 minute walk down and 20 minute walk up. The road to get there is very steep and can be treacherous when wet. I was not impressed with the beach other than the seclusion. There was no one there. To the south is a sandy stretch but there was a good bit of trash lying around. To the north it's more rocky and not ideal for sunbathing. We chose not to spend much time here during the day but we did take our morning jog down there every day. They have shuttles to the next two closest beaches. Jalousie and Anse Chastnet. Both are very nice. We had our own car and were able to drive to both without any issues. Apparently the resort at Jalousie beach is now called Sugar Bay and they were very nice when we told them we were staying at Stonefield. They gave us a shuttle ride down to the beach as it's pretty far from where you park and told us if we bought a drink or lunch they would take us back to the car. No problems there. The beach was very nice but as some other reviews said they tend to try and push non-guests to the one side of the beach. On the "resort" side are very nice couch type chairs whereas on the other side were some old green lounge chairs that you could rent for $20 a person. However all beaches are public so you can go wherever you want as long as you don't want a chair. We took our towels and just laid on the resort side without any issues. There were a few peddlers but once you tell them you're fine they pretty much leave you alone. Anse Chastnet was nice as well but the road was a little crazy to get there. Same thing with the beach. There are chairs there but you can lay a towel down anywhere and sit. I recommend going here if you want to snorkel. They have a decent dive shop and there a pretty big reef right off the shore. Both beaches had restaurants and bars but we chose only to get a few drinks.

Stonefield is also a 5 minute drive to the town of Soufriere. During our first drive through it I was a little nervous as there were several people coming up to our car and asking us if we need help, directions, etc ... They were quick to offer it for a little tip. We just told them were fine and went about our business. The roads are quite tight and you have to be careful of oncoming traffic. Several times we had to back up until the car passed. But overall I felt pretty safe and there are some cool little stores in the heart of the town. There are two other landmarks relatively close to Stonefield. The Diamond waterfalls and the walk in volcano. I would recommend both. We did both of these on our own and enjoyed them thoroughly. Also I would highly recommend climbing one of the Pitons. We managed to get to the top of the Gros Piton and it was well worth the effort. It was very challenging and I would not recommend this if you aren't in some sort of average physical condition.

In a nutshell we were very pleased with Stonefield ... and while they don't offer many activities of a larger resort we really enjoyed lounging and enjoying the gorgeous views. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and they were always willing to help out. Thank you for making our vacation an enjoyable one !!!

Room Tip: The ocean and majestic piton villas have the best views and also air conditioning.
2 Thank Derek W
Montréal
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We just retuned from a very pleasant stay of one week to Stonefield Resort. While we had reserved for a basic villa, we benefited from a free upgrade in villa with a sea view. Comfortable villa air-conditioned with private terrace and swimming pool, porch, outside shower. Stonefield Resort turns out to be a location built on a green isolated hill. The site remained in the natural state sometimes making an impression of neglected but of rustic character. We were welcomed by the warm staff who offered us wet cool towels and fruit juices.
Positive points: private surrounding of every villa, tranquillity, cleanliness, security, romantic, reliable service of shuttle up to the beach, the polite and smiling staff, specially the staff of the reception as well as the majority of the staff of the restaurant.
In our villa Bamboo: wonderful view of the sea and the Piton, the big porch, hammock, the private swimming pool, the outdoor rain forest shower, firm mattress, coffee / tea, air conditioning. The restaurant: pleasant view, comfortable furniture, highlighted by the local cuisine, the fresh food.
Negative points: the room service in the villa (various missing items every day as by examples, replacements of the items of the mini bar, the towels of bath and beach, bars of soap). We had to communicate with the reception to obtain the missing items with delay. The old-fashioned decoration of the villa, the pressure of water and water. To the restaurant: variable quality of the service, the yellowish lighting which gives a beige color to all the dishes, the prices highly exaggerated for the quality of dishes.
Global impression: ideal place for the romanticism and the tranquillity in a private, simple and natural environment. The facility of the site dates many years'. Although it is obvious that Mrs Brown (owner) assure a regular maintenance of the installations, the site accuses its age and would deserve some renovations to correspond to the standards of one four stars.

Room Tip: Bamboo villa : excellent view.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This is a very expensive hotel and we booked it with confidence, feeling that usually, you get what you pay for. What I learned at Stonefield: Not always.

When booking, we were led to believe that although the hotel is not on the beach, the staff would provide easy and free shuttle access to a sister resort where we could enjoy being on the water. In fact, that access was three vans a day, and only three. Want to go at another time? You have to take a cab, on which the hotel charges a commission. When you get to the beach, you are not allowed to sit where the hotel guests sit; you have to take the inferior chairs, for which there is a charge of $20 pp.

The "resort" itself is little more than a cluster of buildings, a front desk counter and a swimming pool. There is no common room, lobby, pretty outdoor areas aside from the pool.

The restaurant, which was supposed to be excellent, is less than mediocre. For breakfast, my daughter was served canned evaporated milk instead of fresh milk, and the "fresh juice" of the day was made from syrup and water. A fruit plate is two slices of anemic watermelon, a piece of grapefruit and cantaloupe cut with an onion knife, making it inedible. The dinner menu is very expensive and the food no better.

The rooms are basic in a way that I don't actually mind and they do have lovely views; however, some of the simplicity is actually disrepair and cheapness pretending to be "natural." My daughter was furnished with a rollaway bed (costing us $$) which had missing slats so it collapsed when she sat on it. Although large, the room was dark and unattractively lit. There are no phones, TVs or wireless. Perhaps the biggest surprise was that the shower was outdoors, which I guess could have been charming, except that there are mosquitoes and bats and there is no hot water if it hasn't been a sunny day.

Finally the service at the hotel was poor, with a tone that was somewhere between unconcerned and disdainful. The staff was never overtly rude, they just seem generally disinterested. Although we reached out to the hotel management a number of times, we could not resolve our issues, so we forfeited a large sum of money as penalty and moved to a better hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank bonnyr_10
Stonefield R, Guest Relations Manager at Stonefield Estate Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Hi,
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the resort, and we do note that clients did not forfeit a lump sum.

Clients spoke to management who showed much concern and attempted to assist as much as possible on several occasions. Clients were offered a complimentary upgrade to a 2 bedroom, as there were four individuals in a 1 bedroom.

However the offer was declined by the guest. We offer shuttles to the beach at various scheduled times,however in order to always ensure our guests are happy we extended an additional service to the guest other than the various allotted times.

We do note on the website and make sure all information is clearly noted that we have outdoor showers which a lot of our other clients welcome.

We understand that the resort caters to clients who would like a laid back,quiet and serene and lush green environment .

Despite the sereneness and the great views, we have a variety of weekly entertainment for the clients who would like to come out of their haven.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Flamboyant Villa, which seems to have the best view of all, and we could not have asked for more. The villa was great. Our covered porch, hammock, and pool had the most amazing view of the Petit Piton and the Caribbean Sea. The forest around us gave us complete privacy. The food was incredible. Every single night we were amazed at what the chef made. Especially loved the local daily homemade jams at breakfast.
The best part about this resort is that you are not staying in a giant hotel or surrounded by people that you don't want to be around. If you wanted, you could spend all your time here and be completely satisfied. We hopped down to Jalousie Plantation(2 minute shuttle ride) a couple of times to enjoy their luxury beach amenities. Great snorkeling, Cuban cigars, friendly staff, beach beds with chair side service.
Another great thing about Stonefield is that it is right near all the adventure tours like the Sulfur Springs, botanical gardens, waterfalls and hiking the Pitons. There are also a couple of very luxurious resorts right down the road where you can expand your appetite at their restaurants.
Stonefield is incredibly unique. The staff, especially Lisa, was so nice and very helpful. Highly recommend Stonefield to anyone who wants to get away from the crowd and enjoy a top notch resort at the same time.

Room Tip: Flamboyant was our room and it was spectacular!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi,
We thank you for your comments, we are a small personal boutique resort. The resort does cater to individuals looking to getaway and relax and retreat .

We look forward to welcoming you soon to Stonefield Estate Resort and to St.Lucia .
LIMA
Reviewed January 5, 2013

All I have to say for this magnificent resort is that overall is totally recomended. Our vacation (me and my wife) was superb. Our Villa (Frangipani) was a dream, with a fabolous view of Petit Piton, the ocean, and all the green flora of the island. Mango tree restaurant was formidable, and considering myself a very critic on cuisine (we live in Peru and food quality is all) the service we had was outstanding. Breakfast and dinner over the top: gourmet plates, fresh fruit, cold and refreshening drinks and healthy water.

The staff of the hotel were very nice and always helping us providing information and advice about tours and/or things to do. I have read some commentaries of other people complaining about the bugs, the rain, the privacy some villas dont have (maybe on the pool, but the Villa is private, unless peolpe are exhibisionist), and the fact that the restaurant is so far and in hill area. All I have to say is that all those reasons doesnt desqualify the quality of the resort. Bugs as in all hot countries are common. Bed has nets and room has a candle to keep away mosquitos... of course, every traveller must bring their own repelent. Rain is mother nature and thats it. Villas are private; and in all trips there is always a walking, especially on an island... if not, then better stay on a city, in which you can have your elevator and your macdonalds right after the corner.

We enjoyed climbing the Gross Piton, visiting Sulphur Springs, Diamond falls. We took water taxi to Anse Chastanet one day and Reduit Beach at Rodney Bay on other. Jalousie beach was a dream also, sorrounded by the shadows of the Pitons. Cant say too much, the place leave me speechless. We had our New Year Eve on the hotel also, with fireworks right from the restaurant.

Thank you to everybody at the resort. We will definitivily return in a future. I have so many things to say but my memories and commentaries will rest on my mind and my pictures.

Room Tip: Check all options before booking a Villa. Garden villas are at the bottom, and the ocean view and Pi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DANIEL M
Hi,
It was our pleasure to have hosted you and we do hope to welcome you soon.
All the best this 2013.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Anse Cochon

Been to Stonefield Estate Resort? Share your experiences!