My husband and I decided to travel to St. Lucia for our honeymoon. We had considered Hawaii as a possible destination, but living on the East Coast, decided we would rather maximize our vacation time and go somewhere a bit closer. We were looking to relax and unwind on our honeymoon and really were not interested in big group excursions and all-inclusive resorts. Stonefield Estate in Soufriere was the perfect spot for us.
Stonefield is composed of 17 bungalow style villas. We spent 11 days at the Stonefield Resort in our private villa "Oleander." The views from our villa were breathtaking, with the Carribbean Sea on one side, and the Petit Piton mountain not far in the distance. We had our own private plunge pool, which we frequented daily, a hammock, indoor living room, kitchen, and bedroom. The villa also had a spacious and clean outdoor shower.
From the moment we arrived at Stonefield, we felt comfortable and "at home." The staff at the front desk, spa, and Mango Tree restaurant were so kind and accommodating. When you arrive at the resort you are given a cell phone so that you may call the front desk at any time. They staff was lovely, kind, and so helpful. Whenever we needed a taxi or suggestions on where to dine, they were always prompt and gave us great recommendations.
We visited several other properties while in St. Lucia, and while some had lovely views, none were as charming and intimate as Stonefield. We were pleasantly surprised at how delicious the food was at Mango Tree, Stonefield's onsite restaurant. We dined there almost nightly, except for a few nights when we ventured to Boucan at the Hotel Chocolat (also exceptional food). We really enjoyed our servers Lisa and Tarnesha who we saw almost daily at the restaurant. They were so lovely and made each of our meals at Mango Tree so enjoyable.
My husband and I also visited the Bamboo Door Spa at Stonefield for a couples massage. Dawn, who manages the spa, was so friendly and professional and really helped us fully relax on our vacation. I indulged in the Chocolicious body treatment, which included an exfoliating chocolate scrub, a warm chocolate body wrap, and a moisturizing treatment with local cocoa butter. It was fantastic and worth the extra cost! I was very impressed with how committed the resort was to using local products in the restaurant, spa, and onsite. It was great to learn more about the local economy and St. Lucia and some of their specialties.
I really had only one complaint about Stonefield and it really is more of a suggestion for their management than anything else. Twice during our stay at Stonefield, one of the grounds workers used a oil fueled engine to smoke out the bugs in the area. We were upset as it was not announced to us that they would be doing this and the smoke was quite think and pervasive. We were forced to quickly shut all the windows to our villa and due to the horrible smell of the burning oil, we left the property for a few hours. My husband complained to the management, but it didn't seem to make a difference. A few days later, the same thing occurred and we were not informed in advance. I'm not sure the smoke was helpful in ridding the property of mosquitoes and sand flies - it was more of a nuisance than anything else.
Speaking of bugs, it is helpful to bring some OFF Deep Woods and to purchase some of the local bug repellent which has lemongrass and coconut oil. We found that the sand flies were worse than the mosquitoes, but that they responded to the local bug repellent much better than the OFF. Still, it makes sense to pack both. The bugs certainly did not dampen our vacation a bit.
We hope to visit Stonefield Estates again in the future. It truly is a wonderful place with wonderful people. I would highly recommend it to my friends and family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort is located on 27 lush acres near the rain forest and what is now a world heritage site. It is therefore secluded yet in the heart of all of St.Lucia's natural attractions like the open volcano, botanical gardens, rain forest, waterfalls, and other fine dining to enhance your experience of the island's local flavour. It captures the famous Petit Piton and Caribbean sea. Its villas have an open air design with 4 poster beds, hammocks, private garden showers and private pools. This resort was rated the number 1 resort in Soufriere by discriminating travelers - TripAdvisor. Please note that all guests at Stonefield must be 18 and over. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, West Indies, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Stonefield Estate Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stonefield Estate Villa Hotel
- Stonefield Estate Villa Resort And Spa
- Stonefield Estate Hotel
- Stonefield Estate Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere