Stonefield Villa Resort
Anse Chastanet(Soufriere)(Great Value!)
$475
$398
  • Beachfront
Fond Doux Plantation & Resort(Soufriere)(Great Value!)
$206
$680
$770
$693
Boucan by Hotel Chocolat(Soufriere)(Great Value!)
$521
$495
Orbitz.com
Hummingbird Beach Resort(Soufriere)(Great Value!)
$200
  • Breakfast included
Leisure Inn(Soufriere)(Great Value!)
$85
Hotwire.com
Villa des Pitons(Soufriere)(Great Value!)
$120
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsmango tree restaurantoutdoor showerpetit pitonprivate poolour honeymoonst luciasugar beachhomemade jamscell phonefull kitchenamazing viewsdouble hammockocean viewbotanical gardenscaribbean seabanana pancakesthe general manager
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Stayed at Stonefield for 4 days/ 3 nights to celebrate first anniversary; the trip was actually a surprise for my hubby. The negatives outweighed the positives for my husband and I, so we would not stay here again. If you want romantic solitude with just you and your honey stay here.

Positives:
We stayed in the Jasmine; the villa, plunge pool are clean, well appointed, but the bed is hard. The mini-bar prices are reasonable. The in-room coffee is very weak as compared to what they serve at Mango Tree; I prefered the in-room coffee. The double outdoor shower is very romantic. My husband was dissappointed we did not have a TV; the resort offers wi-fi, but we did not bring our tablet. The resort also has board games available. The plunge pool was a great way to cool off and soothe pesky mosquito bites.

The views of the Petit Piton are gorgeous. Its too bad their isn't beach access, but once you look down from the mountainside, you realize sandy beachfront is definitely at a premium in Soufreire. The Mango Tree, the on-site restaurant was good. The seating is very romantic- set up for two overlooking the piton and sea.

Negatives:
I booked an ocean view villa w/ A/C at Stonefield through Expedia, but upon arriving at the hotel, they did not have my reservation. We were "upgraded" to a Hillside villa. Yes the villa was larger, but this upgraded villa did not have A/C. We were absolutely miserable the first night- loud noisy crickets and bugs, and the humidity was atrocious. There are two fans in the room, but the fan over the bed was ineffective due to the canopy on top of the bed. We got a little used to the noisy bugs by the second and third night; but the night time humidity definitely put a damper on sleeping comfortably at night let alone romance at night. Our most restful experience at the hotel was during the afternoon when Hurricane/ Tropical Storm Mary had a down pour and cooled things off. The rain noise was loud, but more calming than the bugs.

Before visiting the hotel, I contacted the staff regarding mosquitoes due to all of the TA comments. I was told they spray nightly, and citronella candles were in the room. The one candle in the room was an old fashioned candle and we were not familiar w/ how to light it up; that was probably the citronella candle. I brought body bug spray, and the new clip on fan bug spray just in case. Even still both my husband and I were eaten alive. I have about 7 bites. His legs, mostly, were covered in about 40-50 bites.

The staff seemed unprepared for our visit, not getting the info from Expedia did not help; but they also did not recover well. For instance, we were not shown where the safe was in the room or given the combo; we had to later request our room key. Not knkowing and just in general having questions about the lodging put a damper on the stay as we were concerned about safety.

Tips: (1) Bring Sarna, anti-itch lotion, very soothing for bites; (2) book your tours separately from the hotel, they have a definite mark up example Dennery Zip Line $89/ per person direct through Tree Top, but w/ Stonefield it was $120/ per person. (3) Think about doing the all-inclusive food b/c when you are in Soufriere everything is an expensive taxi-ride away. (4) Besides the Sulfur Springs and Volcano attraction, there is not much to do/ see in Soufreire.

Room Tip: During rainy season, weather is hot & humid, and bugs are noisy & nocturnal; get a room w/ A/C. Stonefield is located in Soufreire, mountainous town away from it all, so be prepared for long taxi rides to sights and activities.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cheeto82
Reviewed September 11, 2011

The best part: The privacy, the view and the food - really great on all. The restaurant food is so good and the staff there is great too. Anetta and Alex were so fun and professional. The worst part...the flying bugs and the near heart attack that Karen at the front desk almost gave me when she called the restaurant and interrupted my dinner to tell me I had a "phone call from a gentleman"...and that was it. I was so freaked out, all I could think of was it was someone from home who was calling me with an emergency. She could have mentioned ahead of time that it was the guy from the beach area looking for a receipt that I had signed and left the wrong copy when I left. That would have made for a totally different outcome. I was so upset, and when I went to the front desk after dinner to suggest she not do it that way again, she really never apologized like she meant it. I just didn’t get the feeling she cared about it. I also asked that she have the manager call me on the issue, and he never did. I assume she never told him, but who knows. She also forgot to book our airport transfers when we called ahead of time. When we talked to her about a week or so before we left, we were told someone would be waiting with our name on a sign when we arrived at the airport, that didn’t happen. We had to find a taxi on our own, which luckily was easy and Stennis did a great job getting us to the hotel safe and worked with the hotel to charge it to them as it was supposed to have been done.

As far as everything else, my boyfriend and I stayed at the Hibiscus Villa from September 4th thru September 9th, 2011 and the total trip was great. First, the villas are nice; they are quaint, but very private and really have everything you need. The view was also really great; our villa had a fantastic view of the water and the piton, as well as a pool. If you get a villa with a pool then you can really enjoy privacy, but I think my boyfriend was a better pool caretaker than the one there. He added water when we arrived so it would cycle because it was a little cloudy, then it cleared right up. The villa is nice, but the shower is an outdoor shower. It was actually cool, but a little strange at first. Also, the villa sleeping area does have air, but not all of the villas do so keep that in mind when you book. The menu at the restaurant changes every day, but everything I ordered was great. A few nights I didn’t really care for main course items on the menu and when I asked for something different they always accommodated me and it tasted great. The breakfast was included on our booking and it was always good too. There are no TV's in the room and really no internet connection except at the restaurant area, which was ok with us. All in all I would stay there again, but I would be very careful that I didn’t rely on Karen at the front desk, but Suzanne at the desk is great.

We also took two tours, our second day we hiked the Gros Piton with John from Paradise Excursions. I would highly recommend him if you want to do the hike. He showed up right on time with a taxi and two mangos for us. He was dressed nicely and spoke English well. He was friendly and the food after the hike that he provided was so good. The hike is tough, but he is patient if you need to rest. He does it several days a week, so he never even broke a sweat, amazing! We also booked a sailboat for the two of us for the day with Mystic Man Tours and Andrew who was our captain was great. We left Soufriere at 10 am and went to Marigot Bay, had lunch and shopped and then came back to the Jade Mountain area to snorkel (but...heads up that the snorkel gear wasn’t great). Then we sailed for a bit and had champagne at sunset. Very nice trip.

The first day and the last day we went to the beach that is "free" to hotel guests, its at the Jalouise hotel. There are shuttles that take you to the hotel and its just about a 5 minute drive. The beach is very nice, but its about $20 a chair to hang out there. There is a bar and a restaurant there and the service and food was good. The second day the waiter at the Jalouise tried to tell us that we could only rent the green chairs (not the good chairs), but we told him that we werent told that and the first day we sat in the white chairs, so he didnt say any more. You can also snorkel there and it was great. The Stonefield has snorkel gear that can be used at no charge and there was alot to see, we enjoyed it. The Jalousie is also a nice place, we would have stayed there but it was booked. We walked around a bit and it was nice. It may not have been as private, but was beautiful. If I do go back to St. Lucia I will probably try to stay there next time.

Room Tip: Only some rooms have air, so be sure to check
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Just got back from a 6 night trip to St Lucia where we spent 3 nights in the North at Windjammer Landing and 3 nights in the South at Stonefield Estate Villa Resort.

We were put in the Casurina Villa and had absolutely no complaints whatsoever. It was large, had AC (def needed in the summer) a huge porch with a good sized plunge pool. The maid service was very efficient and we would always come back to a super clean room after our days out exploring the local beach, zipline adventure, or town.

The one and only restaurant, the Mango Tree is where all meals are served. For a small fee, you can also have your meal delivered to your room. We did that for dinner one night and just took it easy and relaxed with a bottle of Proseco. Every meal we had there was awesome, but there are other local spots, should you wish to venture out and eat elsewhere.

Ernie, the manager is such a pleasant guy. Always in a good mood and joking around, you could always hear his laughter coming from somewhere. He will happily set up an excursion for you, recommend a restaurant (he sent us to Gee's in town and it was amazing) or answer any questions that may arise during your trip.

My only hesitation that I had before I booked was that they did not have their own beach. All that was put aside once we saw how close Jalouise actually was. I'm taking about a true 7 min ride or so. Perhaps less....There is also a local zipline spot and some waterfalls, all within walking distance.

This resort is a place where you will not want to leave after you have been there for more than 24 hours. It is tranquil, peaceful and romantic. Each villa is very private and the dense tropical foliage creates your own private area for whatever you wish to do. We'll be back, Ernie!

Any questions, just contact me and one final word of advice......

Try to do the North and the South, they are black and white. You should definitely see both sides to the island. We did 3 nights in each and didn't feel rushed at all. (North is more built up, more amenities, restaurants, hotels, casino but the South is truly stunning, isolated, and much more romantic. Jalouise Beach is one of the top 10 beaches in the world.)

Room Tip: Casaurina was amazing, but they all looked good.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
stonevillas, General Manager at Stonefield Villa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

thanks for the kind and positive words. we will pass it on to our employees. i know you guys had fun and i am so waiting for your return.
god bless and keep intouch
regards
ernie

Reviewed August 24, 2011

I have done a disservice to the great staff of Stonefield by taking so long to post my review. My husband and I spent the first part of our honeymoon at Stonefield, and the second half at Sandals Grande. The combination was perfect for us, because it allowed us to see both sides of the island, and to both COMPLETELY relax (Stonefield) before doing any kind of excursions and typical resort-type stuff (Sandals). Stonefield was not only the best part of our honeymoon, but hands down the best place we have ever stayed (and we like to travel!).

First, our honeymoon was almost ruined because I somehow lost my passport (!!!) and didn't notice until packing the night before. After staying up all night tearing up the house, I had to schedule an early-morning emergency trip to the Passport Agency (thank goodness for living in the DC area!), cancel and re-schedule our flights, and cancel the first night at Stonefield. They told me (per their policy) that we would still be responsible for it. We had to take planes, trains, and automobiles to make it to St. Lucia (including an overnight in Philly) and missed the first day and a half. We arrived at night, and couldn't see much around our villa - Flambuoyant. We stepped out onto the porch the next morning to heaven. This place is BREATHTAKING. And, the staff was amazing. Not only did they NOT charge us at check-out for the night we missed, but they allowed us to move to another villa and spend the afternoon there (someone was checking into ours, so we could not stay there) rather than having to leave early after arriving so late the night before. I wish I could remember the name of it, but it is right next door and sits a bit higher on the mountain.

Flambuoyant was perfect. Because we got to see 2 villas and compare, I know that I personally liked the privacy that Flambuoyant offered. (My husband liked the second villa better - though it escapes me why). It rained that second day, and I spent the whole afternoon curled up in a towel on the hammock, listening to the rain and looking at the pitons and ocean.

My husband and I work a lot, and cannot often get away for long trips. So it speaks volumes that the place we would choose to go for our next rare 1 week off would be Stonefield again. We did stop at the store on the way there and got beer and snacks (that we enjoyed on our porch the next day). Mango Tree breakfast is amazing - get the mango pancakes. We also loved the tea "cups" and bought some to bring home so we can be nostalgic every once in a while. I am almost hesitant to post this, for fear that we will not be able to get reservations the next time. But this place is too good not to give the review it deserves. I just received a Groupon deal for Stonefield yesterday...I'm pretty sure it is a sign.

Oh - I should add in the interest of full disclosure that we did have a gecko in our bathroom. I'm not a "creature" person, but it honestly didn't bother me at all. It kind of added to the rustic charm of the villas and outdoor shower.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amh0918

we are happy you enjoyed your stay with us. thank you for a great review we hope to see ya soon.
regards
ernie

Reviewed August 19, 2011

I stayed here in 2004 and based on the reviews I've read, it looks like little has changed. My villa had a great deck and hammock overlooking the Pitons. Mix this view with a sunset and no crowds and it was a great find. The staff and owners were very friendly. Although this is not beach front property, the accessible beach is great.

There is a great restaurant, on the beach, that I would suggest visiting. I can't remember its name, but it was a small place, owned by a colorful guy with a lot of great stories with wonderful food. Since it is not very accessible (you have to walk across the beach to get there) it is mainly frequented by sailors. We were the only people dining there that night. Fresh seafood, garden vegetables, and fresh fruit were bought specifically for us.

Also, another great tip if you want some local color, is to take the public transport from Soufriere to Castries (sp?). It is a tight fit in the mini bus with some tight turns, but it was a lot of fun. I think the round trip was less than $10. Much less expensive than the excursions and with a little more adventure!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple