“Blown Away! Take Us Back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Lakeland, Florida
“Blown Away! Take Us Back!”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Ladera for our honeymoon and I cannot say enough lovely things about Ladera hotel and their staff and management. I was immediately blown away upon arrival once we were greeted with a nice drink and cool mint towel as a refresher! We were then shown to our breathtaking love nest! It was not just a room, it was spacious and more than I could have ever dreamed! The view was better than any pictures I had seen prior to us arriving. I was worried about not having any AC but with the flow of air that comes through it is nice and cool! I actually got chilly a few times. I also didn't have any bug issues as I was scared of prior to coming, the only time I was a "meal" for the mosquito's was around dusk by the pool only one night. The sunsets in our plunge pool were my favorite part of every night. So romantic and unlike any sunset back home. Dinner was amazing every night and the live music was lovely! Did I mention the couple's massage?!?!?! It was outstanding as well! I find myself always trying to find something as lovely as Ladera when traveling now. They have set the bar high! I look forward to returning there and highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tabba86

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
London
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Visited the hotel for lunch, though were not staying. We have been many times before and were not disappointed. We got a warm welcome from the staff and had a very tasty lunch while admiring the view. During our stay on the island we also went for a couple of sunset cocktails and games of scrabble in the bar. Again a great experience and we would really recommend a visit. Warning though there is now a cover charge for non-guests which is a bit off putting, why not just put the price up a bit and make people feel welcomed?

1 Thank RealWomen
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 15, 2014

My wife and I spent time at 3 resorts over our 8 day stay in St. Lucia; Ladera was the 'cherry' on top of our trip. It most certainly has the best view we found in St. Lucia (I'm sure Jade Mountain could beat it, but they are 3x the cost). The open-walled rooms overlooking the Pitons and ocean were majestic. We literally walked into our room and said, "Wow!", followed by just soaking up the surroundings for about 20 minutes.

The Manager had a welcome reception which was very nice. He is very friendly and personable. Neat touch.

Now the rub. We were told by our agent before our trip we would need $100-150 US per person per day for meals at Ladera. For us as middle-class honeymooners, this was spending two-thirds of our entire on-island budget just at Ladera for food ($1200). We naively thought, "No problem, we're adventurous," and just go out to the city and other places. Problem. When up at Ladera, it is an area with expensive resorts. All of the restaurants nearby charge close to the same (except the Morne Coubaril Estate lunch we had for $8- amazing!). We enjoyed the food at Dasheene, but even ordering water, we could not escape eating for less than $80 an evening. We got creative and went into Soufriere by walking 30 minutes- which was fun! However, we got many mixed messages on walking, taxis, restaurants, etc. We also figured we could get a taxi into Soufriere easily and even to do the Friday night Fish Fry. They were going to charge us $150 US for this taxi. We started to feel overwhelmed with the prices and stuck. However, we did get creative.

One note on service: because we had a more affordable room, they provide very little with it. We had great coffee there, and they provided water, but though the in-room book said we were supposed to get free sodas (and friends who went a couple years before got complimentary breakfast), we inquired. Not at our room level. This seemed a little cheap that they wouldn't even provide a Coke with the room.

The reason I said average service is that when my wife and I tried to get creative with not spending lots of money, we found the staff very difficult to work with and confusing. We received mixed messages and poor initiative to help whenever it was not something "out of the can" such as their own adventures they sell. We ended up walking to Morne Coubaril for zip lining and the plantation tour. Ladera had marked up the cost of this an additional $20 US just to schedule through them. We were able to do a tour for $30 total including lunch, whereas their tour with a different estate would have been around $200.

So here's the deal: we could have really enjoyed Ladera to the max if we were flushed with cash. We are not. We might find this more enjoyable in the future, but we felt very price-gouged. It was a breathtaking view and the most incredible room I've ever stayed in. Next time around, we would spend 3 days up-front to relax, and then go on to Sandals to get all the food and activities we can stand for a set price.

Room Tip: Spend money here. I think this is the only way you can enjoy Ladera. If you don't have money t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank JustEmHug
Shermael C, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
It is a misconception that Ladera is less expensive than other resorts in our category in St Lucia. Consistently rated as one of the top experiential properties in the world, we continue to offer the same high level of service and standards, providing the best available products in the market. The cost associated to it is consistent with our competitive set in the Caribbean and other luxury resort destinations.Thank you for providing feedback.
Shermael
Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

The room and view are amazing, no doubt about that. The nightly live music is also very nice.

Everything else on the other hand is completely overpriced garbage. In particular the food, which is portrayed as gourmet, is nothing more than cheap ingredients thrown together in an upscale setting, tagged with michelin restaurant prices.

If Ladera wasn't at the price point it is, I wouldn't say anything. But when you're charging upwards of $45 for an entrée, there are certain expectations that come along with that. When ownership is too cheap and consistently cuts corners to maximize profits, reviews like these from discerning guests are a result.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Matt P
We acknowledge that you posted your first review on trip advisor. Please be reassured that our pricing is compatible with other luxury 5 Star properties on the island, as we continue to offer a unique upscale experience. The room rate and meal plan you purchased, reflect what is included or not as any other hotel. At Dasheene, we participate in the local Summerlicious program that offers a greater value to restaurant guests on a budget during the summer season. Please note that we offer a three course menu at a cost of USD 55.00 per person++.
Regards, Shermael
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I was excited for this trip to St.Lucia mainly because I wanted to experience what Ladera had to offer with their 3 wall concept. The ambiance and tranquility was above and beyond my expectations. If you are seeking peace and romance this is the place for you. I couldn't get enough of this resort. For my personal review,thoughts, and photos check out my blog at The-Rolemodel.com I provided a very detailed review. hope you find it helpful.
A special thank you to Holly for my making my stay memorable and special.Also, Thank you to the Ladera Family who were also kind and helpful.

Room Tip: Every room is unique some bigger than others but rest assured that you will still have a beautiful r...
1 Thank Rolemodelish
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 11, 2014

This is yet another place that fails on the stay cationer experience. I am reviewing this from a staycationers view not as a tourist. If you are a tourist this place will probably be paradise for you. Stay cationers receive a major discount because they are of local origin and are supposed to get the same perks and treatments as full paying customers.In my opinion they should get an even better experience but that is just not so except at Bay Gardens Beach resort. If I hear one more time that this is not part of your package from a resort associate I will scream!!!! We arrived to the Fantasy Island treatment at Ladera with cold towels and punch. Their punch was the first we encountered at any of the resorts we stayed at without any alcohol. It all goes downhill from here! This resort is truly in my opinion for the upper class only.... not locals who spend their hard earned EC dollar money only to be gouged with ridiculous food prices charged to them in US dollars and a room that looks nothing like what we saw and thought that we would receive on the website. The rate for a US dollar converts to 2.67 EC dollars at the moment so you will see that my review is a warning for all locals and a challenge to management to change this for the future.The receptionist even had the audacity to tell me that we had an upgrade from the class of room we were supposed to stay in...sheesh. In the last week my wife and I had visited Ti- Kaye (very good but not perfect either), Bay Gardens Beach resort (awesome) and we felt that we were going to strike a home run coming to Ladera (major fail due to the price for what you receive). On the website it looks like Ladera could be a cheaper version of Jade mountain for a local to stay at. The good thing is the views are amazing as advertised. The bad starts with the person that takes you to your room. My wife kept on correcting her on things we had in our package.She quickly remedied the situation and had Shawn who was amazing, stock our refrigerator with the necessary beverages. The free bottle of Brut Champagne was a cute perk although not for my taste. She also did not know that staycationers get full breakfast not just continental during their stay. I do not think anyone that is employed at Ladera knows this policy as they made me sign a bill for our breakfast in the restaurant and even at checkout they again tried to bill me yet again for this. Let me discuss the room we stayed in which was room K. This is a split level room with a plunge pool which truly needs to be heated. The pool is just for relaxing no room to swim here as in the photo on the site that I liked.The room was well kept, neat and clean but I immediately noticed I heard another couple nearby. I started wondering, if this is supposed to be a romantic resort why am I hearing my neighbors like I live in an urban housing complex Ti Kaye is better as you get your own private cabin. It gets worse later in the review. So we left our room and went to the front desk because we had to leave a credit card on file for incidentals and our 6:30pm reservation for dinner at Dasheens restaurant was confirmed. I asked if we could be moved to a better room more like what I saw with the swing overlooking a rather large pool and the Pitons. This was definitely not what we had in our package or room. She told us they were fully booked and could only show us two other rooms in our class. In our class what does that mean?? We looked at the other rooms and although they were bigger they were still not looking like the room we saw on the website that made us want to visit Ladera. I wanted that room that they show on the website splash page. We chose to stay in our room K because it was split level which meant two amazing views but she promised us if something opened up they would move us to the room I really wanted. I also encountered this at Ti Kaye as it seems these upper class themed resorts sort out the locals as a different class than there full price paying tourists and you feel this vibe during your entire stay no matter how hard they try to make you happy. I felt this less at Ti- Kaye except for the lady that checked us in. My Ti-Kaye review is forthcoming back to Ladera resort.The restaurant view at Dasheens is even more amazing than your room. We arrived early to take pictures of the awesome view and to make sure that we received a great view for dinner. The staff at Dasheens are kind and courteous and they even sat us in an amazing seating area right next to the Pitons. Ladera truly needs to offer staycationers a 40% discount on all meals and drinks as our meal for two turned into a $165US affair. We only budgeted $100US for this meal. It started with the server asking us if we wanted bottled or fizzy water. I assumed this was free and asked for bottled. He brought us out a bottle of royal blue water that sells for $2.29 EC dollars anywhere in town. When I saw my bill they charged me $8US for this alone. I later found out they have regular water they could have served us for free too. Why he did not offer that option to us is something that needs to be adjusted and corrected management. We did meet the co-owner of Ladera at dinner and she was polite and even said that we staycationers are supposed to get the V.I.P. treatment. I had an earful for her on that subject but that moment was not the time. I ordered surf and Turf for $48 or $49 US and my wife ordered cocoa Lamb for $43. The lamb was the better choice although both meals were too small of portions. When we arrived at the restaurant I saw a gentlemen get a burger and fries that was huge. It was made with 3 big angus beef patties and was only $17 with a nice size basket of fries. I asked the sever would the dinner portions be like this. She replied they would be a little bit smaller but good portions. That turned out to be an understatement when I received my meal I told the server chef Nigel needs to stop playing around with these portions!!! I should have ordered the burger meal a much better and cheaper option. I received 3 medium size shrimp, a small piece of filet Mignon that was not memorable and a small potato pie. Ti Kayes Filet Mignon is too die for..... it was utterly amazing!!!! although expensive too but I still remember how good it was. We ordered two lava cake desserts with ice cream. My only complaint here is that the ice cream portion was actually a 1/4 of a scoop. and each lava cake was overpriced again at $10US each. We also ordered two drinks rum punch and a fruity concoction that were $10US each too. I also ordered the fish cake appetizer that was too small too for $14US. In hindsight, I should have taken pics of my food to show what we received. After we went back to our room. It was quiet for about 5 minutes when to our amazement we heard a lady calling reception. She was terrified as there was a cat in her room and she asked for them to send someone there to assist her. She was so loud and screaming that she sent the cat across our balcony before they arrived. She was hysterical and overboard. Although they magically managed to find her a much better room to move her to for her troubles. We heard it all her screaming antics the men searching for the cat that we knew had left because it ran across our balcony too. The guy promising her a much better room although they said they were totally booked and could not accommodate my wish for an upgrade. I was done after that and retreated to my bedroom which because we left the light on in the bathroom was overrun with all sorts of flying things. I turned off all the lights for awhile and this remedied the situation. After our neighbor who through (our open air we could hear everything situation) packed all her things they escorted her to a better paradise. Our evening turned into the night that it was supposed to be peaceful cool and quiet after that. The morning and breakfast was much better food portions were good and we had an amazing view yet again. We met the co-owner again at checkout where she apologized for being so fully booked and again I was incorrectly billed for a free breakfast and then charged $2 for a mystery vacation fund. The breakfast bill was removed but the pain and anguish is not. In my opinion, if they could have moved our hysterical cat screaming neighbor on up like the Jefferson's to a better room they could have damn sure accommodated my wife and I. I saved my hard earned money to make this a memorable experience for her birthday which unfortunately it was not. Ladera will probably be amazing for most people as my pictures below do reveal an amazing place. After going to Ti-Kaye, Bay Gardens resorts and then Ladera in a week span this is my opinion. If we could have been housed in the suite as in the website splash page I believe my review would have been more favorable.
STAYCATIONERS PROCEED WITH CAUTION UNTIL THINGS CHANGE FOR THE BETTER FOR US AT LADERA August 11,2014

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DRossstays2
Thank you for your review. We offer a courtesy rate to residents of St. Lucia as do most resorts on the island and despite our high occupancy this summer. Ladera is a small, very eco-friendly resort that offers a unique and authentic experience to its clients. No two suites are the same and depending on the category booked the size of the room and pool will vary. Nevertheless, all of our guests, nationals and non-nationals receive the same levels of exceptional customer service. At our Dasheene Restaurant, our prices are in line with other properties that are part of our luxury travel network including Jade Mountain and Sugar Beach. The prices will be higher for higher priced items on the menu. However, we also offer a three course dinner menu at USD 55.00 as part of the local Summerlicious program this summer, available seven days a week.
Regards, Shermael
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Went to Darsheen restaurant while visiting the sulphur springs and Morne Coubaril Estate. This is possibly the best location for a restaurant ever! The view is so immense you can barely believe your eyes as you gaze through the two pitons down into the blue sea. Not to say this restaurant is just a picture opportunity, the food was excellent with plenty of choice, suited our children's tastes as well as our own and was very reasonably priced.
A fantastic memory and well worth a visit. Thanks

2 Thank tirello444
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!