“My honeymoon in St. Lucia”
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Starkville, Mississippi, United States
“My honeymoon in St. Lucia”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I went on my honeymoon to Ladera last July. Ladera was incredible. It is unique in so many ways and it is exactly as the website says it is. It's paradise in so many ways. The views will be the best you have ever seen. I have never in my life been around a staff that was as genuinely caring as the staff at Ladera. The food at Dasheene was some of the best I've ever had. As each course came out, my wife and I were continually blown away. I highly recommend the mojo steak. While you were at the resort, they treated you like family. Everyone knew our name and it was their sole duty to make this trip the time of your life. If you are terrified of a few bugs this might not be the place for you. I have traveled my whole life and no resort has ever been as unique as Ladera. It is truly an incredible "tree house" where every room seems like a suite (we got upgraded so we saw multiple rooms !!) and where people are always ready to serve you. I highly recommend Ladera and hope one day to return. I'm thankful they made my honeymoon so great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Thomas_Ragan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at the AMAZING Ladera Resort...and I'm already anxious to plan our next trip there. I spent a long time researching places all over the world for our honeymoon. I had the "fairytale" honeymoon in my head, perhaps from watching too many movies, and I had a picture in my mind that nothing was living up to until I looked at the pictures of the Ladera Resort. We decided to book and I prayed that it lived up to what the pictures represented...many places so often don't. They show you a few token amazing pictures that don't fully represent the "real" atmosphere of the resort or rooms. When I got there I immediately realized that the pictures don't even begin to capture how magical and romantic this place is...by the time we got to our room I was so overwhelmed that I burst into tears...as I just did again writing and re-living this. I have never in my life been able to stay in such a beautiful place...I felt like I was in a move.

When we arrived, we were greeted by name as soon as we got out of the car by one of the many wonderful staff members we would encounter that week. She had cool eucalyptus-scented facecloths and a delicious fruit drink to cool us off. Our bags were whisked off and we were given a tour of the resort and then brought straight to our room. No "front desk" registration process...straight to enjoying the room and our honeymoon. Our room was incredible, I have no words for the view, it was beyond imagination and as I mentioned, is not fully captured in the photos! The room was spotless, very clean and up-to-date with local St. Lucia furniture and decor, really capturing the essence of the island, and very large. We so loved the room that we did not leave it for nearly the first 4 days! I read some reviews that commented on either noise, bugs, or the pool being too cold and I can tell you we had none of those problems. We were actually only the second room away from the restaurant and bar and had no issues with noise whatsoever. The road outside the resort is not a busy road either...I just don't get the noise comments as it was never an issue - not with the music in the bar, cars, adjacent rooms, nothing...we felt like we practically had the resort to ourself. Our pool was wonderful, it was plenty warm and very clean. We had no issues until something went wrong with the pool heater on our second to last day at which point we were immediately upgraded, with many apologies, to an even larger brand-new suite and our belongings were moved for us while we were out zip-lining. This is just one of the many examples of the superior service we received here.

The staff were amazing as well. We felt like we were part of a family here! Within the first couple of days people knew us by name and were always asking us if we needed anything or if everything was ok. I felt like a queen! We had no worries and wanted for nothing. We were able to just relax and enjoy our honeymoon. The food at the restaurant was superb and they even arranged a special romantic dinner for us at the best table in the house with our favorite meals. I have never experienced anything like it. I will also commend them on their awareness and sensitivity to food allergies, something that is often hard to find inside of the US and is incredibly rare outside of the US. I have multiple food allergies and they took special care to accommodate and did not make me feel like I was high-maintenance.

We also used the spa twice and had a great time with Gabina! She was so much fun and provided great services! I see a lot of comments on the spa, and yes, it is small and doesn't have the views some other spas might, but I believe that is because the prime real estate with views is reserved for the guest rooms and restaurant/bar where it will be most enjoyed. I can't comment on the beach shuttle as I did not use it. Truth be told, I am a big beach fanatic and I did not go to the beach once while on St. Lucia! I never thought about it and didn't miss it, the room was so amazing!!! Why go sit on a public beach with a bunch of other people when my new husband and I can lounge in our private pool staring at the ocean and mountains. I can go to the beach on any old vacation but this room and resort are once in a lifetime! We work for the government, don't make huge salaries, and have 5 children, so luxury travel is a very rare treat and but I will say that what we got was above and beyond what we spent and that it was more than worth every penny! We plan to try to come back here every year for our anniversary!

Lastly, we realized on our last day while waiting for our transport to the airport (and it had not arrived when it should have), that I made a mistake on the return reservation and booked it for the wrong day. Without any hesitation, they took immediate action to get us alternate transportation right away and we were on our way to the airport within minutes. This is the way they are there: top-notch customer service and willing and able to solve any issue that may come up. It's unfortunate people who wrote complaints on here didn't voice their issues while there because given our experience I can't imagine that the staff at Ladera wouldn't do whatever it took to resolve a problem and have someone leave happy. I guess some people would rather just complain. I can tell you, that I have never felt so blessed in my life as to be able to spend a week here with my new husband and have never been treated so well. It was truly magical! Thank you to all the folks at Ladera for making our real honeymoon better than my dream honeymoon!! We can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in the place!! I won't tell you my favorite as I don'...
3 Thank Lauren1970
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is a romantic get away that makes you feel like you have really gotten away from everything. I would describe it as Adam and Eve-esque, the first thing that you want to do is strip off your clothes and feel like the only two people in the world surrounded by nature. There is no better view in St Lucia than from the Ladera. Even the locals are quick to point that out. We felt like we were living in an real life perfect picture, the kind of picture you would find in your computers screensaver section.

About the actual hotel... The staff was kind and helpful. We mostly ate at Ladera and the food was always excellent quality. One night we had dinner across the way at Hotel Chocolate which was also an experience in itself with a very creative chocolate infused menu. Make sure you check out the volcano during the day and mud yourself up in the sulfur springs there, it's right up the street from the hotel. I would say that St Lucia is most similar to Kauai, Hawaii.

If you are afraid of the dark or critters I would suggest getting to bed before it gets too dark. We stayed out pretty late and had all the lights on in our room. Personally I think leaving the lights on late at night attract them more. When laying in bed we saw lizard guys hanging over us on our ceiling, a hummingbird (which turned out to be the largest moth we had ever seen in our lives) buzzing around the room, and huge beetles outside of the mosquito netted canopy bed. We loved it, and couldn't stop laughing about the whole situation. During the early hours of the morning we woke up to misty showers of rain passing through. It was straight out of Jurassic Park. During the day little birds flew in and out of our room which were cute and sweet to watch. It was the best trip either of us have ever been on. We loved "The Ladera Experience", and it is definitely an experience that everyone should try at least once in their life.

We then sailed across the island to our next hotel destination Cap Maison with "Jus' Sail". We highly recommend this mode of transportation if you are planning to do a Peak to Beach vacation in St Lucia.

-Josh and Michele

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JoshandMichele
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Ladera is a unique resort perfect for couples looking to have time to really connect without distractions. Here is a quick recap:
We were in suite I. Ladera gave us a free upgrade from the class of room we booked.
*room was gorgeous.
*views were beyond description. Waking up to a view of Pitons is a moving experience
*all furnishings are handcrafted in St Lucia. One suggestion would to be a more comfortable seating area. We had a large bench and a chair in our sitting area. They are gorgeous pieces but not comfortable to sit in for long.
*pool in the room was pretty, but unusable because of the cold water. We asked for a different room that had a heated pool, but they were not available. Recommendation:pay for the rooms that have a heated pool, otherwise the in-room pool is a landscaping item.
*we had a room above us but only heard them when they were moving chairs etc. Run your waterfall and it drowns out everything else.
*never heard traffic or music or even people walking on the sidewalk behind our bed.
*bugs were not an issue. We saw a couple birds and one tiny little lizard in our room...no flying insects

Resort
*landscaping and design that is hard to take in it's so gorgeous. They value the land and the natural habitat of St Lucia.
*the staff is a special group of people. Service above and beyond expectations!
* Holly, the owner, is friendly and genuinely interested in making your vacation special. She does a fabulous job making you feel welcome.
*restaurant has very good food. This is a high end resort so go in expecting to pay high end prices. About $150 for a couple with a moderate bottle of wine for dinner. Food and service were very good at Dasheene
*service for breakfast, dinner and at the bar was excellent. They work hard to get to know you and are very friendly.
*front desk is incredibly accommodating. They will work very hard to make your vacation just what your want it to be.
* massages were very good. Loved the couples massage in our room. Again, keep in mind you're at a high end hotel that charges accordingly.
*the views are hard to describe. The photos just cannot do Mother Nature justice. Astounding!
*ALL staff at this hotel are committed to making your vacation fabulous. They go out of their way to help you make plans, reservations or answer questions.

Misc:
Hiked Gross Piton. This is a serious hike. I'm in good shape and was surprised the challenge it provided. Bring a backpack, and a ridiculous amount of water. Wear dri fit clothes. We brought hiking boots. You don't need them but, it did help with ankle support.
*Try Orlando's and the restaurant at Hotel Chocolate. Both very good dinners
*we went to Martha's Table for lunch on our departure day. This is amazing food! $10 each way for a taxi from the hotel and lunch was about $40 for a couple (including 4 Piton's). Nice way to end our trip and use a piece of the half day before departing.
*Sugar Beach was very nice. We enjoyed watching all the action on this beach. The free chairs were just fine for us. We opted out of the $40/chair at Sugar Beach resort. Lader is NOT a beach resort so, don't hold them accountable for the beach. If you want a posh beach experience choose another hotel.
*snorkeling was just ok. Ladera does provide free snorkel equipment to take with you. Lots of small fish but, nothing outstanding
*we hired Real St Lucia tours to do the mud baths, 2 waterfalls and Soufriere. The guide was fabulous and allowed us to change the plans to make the half day suit our wishes. Great company.

This Hotel is really outstanding. Don't choose Ladera if you're looking for an entertainment staff, late night shows, and the big hotel feel. This is a special place that should be valued for it's unique quality. Feel free to ask more in depth questions. We've done a fair amount of traveling, and will try to help with any questions or concerns as you plan your trip.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Msknights
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I just got home from a week at Ladera and had an amazing time. The staff are all incredibly friendly and accommodating, the owners were wonderful, very involved and kind to the guests, truly made us feel at home! I am a nature lover, so this resort is the perfect place for me. I love watching all the beautiful birds, especially the wide variety of hummingbirds. The flowers are beautiful, and the vibe at the resort is so laid back and relaxing! They have a great little gym facility which my hubby and I made use of regularly, we also found a nice little morning walk that we went on each day. The food at Dasheene is delicious, Head Chef Nigel is really great, we went on the market tour with him and learned a lot about the local produce and got to meet some of the local people. We love St. Lucia, and Ladera in particular and hope to return again soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just returned from a 5-day winter escape to Ladera. We stayed in a newly completed Paradise Ridge Suite PR 3. As previous reviews indicate, the rooms are very unique in their 3-walled construction, and ours had a massive bathroom, private pool, and generous living area.

Ladera is a small, luxury resort, and you absolutely get what you pay for. What the resort might lack in terms of organized on-site activity and dining options available in big-name all-inclusive properties, it makes up for in spades in the service and quality of its amenities, leaving you feeling like the resort was made to accommodate you and you alone. The staff in particular are like the supporting actor roles in a movie - they each play a relatively small part in the whole picture, but they are entirely what you remember the movie for.

If you are looking for a small, intimate place that offers individualized attention and world class service, Ladera is for you. We have stayed at many exclusive 5 star properties, but cannot ever recall one where the owner made herself available and was visible to guests each and every day. Holly introduced herself to us when we arrived, and her daily presence immediately set the tone for the one-on-one attention and level of service detail we would experience thereafter. Our suite also included a personal butler, and Keisha and Skol's attentiveness echoed the sentiments we felt from Holly. Requests to book activities on short notice (spa, shuttles, sailboat rental, late checkout etc) were met with excitement and arranged within hours. As construction on our suite had been completed a mere few weeks prior to our arrival, any small finishing issues we had (e.g., 1 tap in master bath only trickled water) were also magically and discretely corrected within moments. When service is this good, you easily overlook the small imperfections and quirks that come with Caribbean travel.

Our 'Romance in Paradise' package included full breakfast and dinners, and we were never disappointed. With the exception of lunches, we ate on site each day and enjoyed one incredible meal after the other. Dinners are exceptional. Will you get a USDA prime angus steak, cooked as if Bobby Flay himself made it? No, you are in St. Lucia after all. But order local delicacies, fish and seafood and you will not be disappointed! The quality of the food was perfectly matched by the incredible and attentive service provided by the restaurant host, Ilka, and our very competent dinner server, Leah, who very confidently provided menu recommendations that exceeded our expectations.

In addition, the sommelier, Karin, is an absolute gem and alone worth dining at Dasheene for. Karin expertly matched our wine/champagne and budget preferences to his selections within mere moments of getting to know us, which was beyond impressive. His abilities easily rival those we have encountered in top restaurants in New York City, Amsterdam and Toronto, and I am now on the hunt for some very incredible vintages I had never before heard of!

Overall, we cannot say enough about the attentive, individualized, and yet discrete, personalized service we received at Ladera. Whether you are a young adult or young at heart, the staff are genuinely interested in their guests' well-being and go above and beyond to meet any and every expectation. Ladera caters to its guests; all you have to do is ask! St. Lucians are also a very warm, genuine and engaging people, and we will not hesitate to book Ladera again next year for its great service, food, accommodations, and people.

2 Thank Ryan L
Deerfield, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2013

As someone who works 7 days a week as the sole employee, this is a must! It is difficult for me to get away & I spent more money than I usually would, but I think the vacation at Ladera was worth every penny! We returned from our vacation completely relaxed & actually, we took another day off to try & return to reality! We went into the vacation knowing full-well of the missing wall & being nature lovers, weren't the least bit upset by that. The only time bugs were an issue is when we turned lights on at night. I found the sounds of the critters & bugs at night to be very relaxing. In response to other posts about entertainment being a problem at night, we did not find that at all. The bands at the bar were finishing up early, even before their official cut-off time of 10:00pm. So, not an issue for us at all. We did decide to visit other restaurants in addition to Dasheene & we were very impressed with Boucan, across the road. There, you get excellent food (using Cocoa!) for a very reasonable price.The resort at Sugar Beach is also quite excellent, but very expensive. We thought we'd have to scrimp after that.
But the view down at the beach is well-worth the trip. We also scheduled time at the Ladera spa & I thought it was worth it! We made sure we visited the mineral baths every day as well.
They also have a wonderful area for gym exercise, but even my husband couldn't bring himself to partake, since we were in relaxation mode. My husband did the Gros Piton hike & did enjoy it, though it wasn't easy. I knew that I wasn't up to speed, so sat that one out. We also took the excursions to Soufriere, Diamond Botanical Gardens, Touraille Waterfall, and the Sulphur Springs. We did enjoy that, as it gave us a flavor of the area. Usually, I like to explore as much as possible, but as we're get older, my husband is not as appreciate of this. So I made sure to limit our excursions, and when we returned, he was very relaxed....my plan worked!

Room Tip: I was confused as to the difference between Gros Piton & Petit Piton view rooms. They all have...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!