“Simple, Romantic, Perfect!”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Greeley, Pennsylvania, United States
“Simple, Romantic, Perfect!”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I just returned from Ladera. Never have we experienced anything so perfect. It was simple and elegant with a real down-to-earth feeling. The staff was EXCEPTIONAL! They treat you like family. The rooms were beautiful and earthy. Stone, Mahogany, tile, and all open aired so the breeze at night kept you cool. It isn't for all though as we occasionally woke to a lizard on our lamp or a frog in the shower! I loved it. The plunge pools were great after a hot day at the beach or hiking the rainforest. Don't expect to be pampered to the point that you get sick of someone saying, "Can I get you anything?" That is what we loved so much, they were there to help you when you asked, but didn't bother you about things that just don't matter that much. It is a humbling experience to see how the locals live in such happiness without the material things that we take for granted. Holly and Tom (owners) were on site and so willing to help with anything. We found the entire experience exactly what we needed. Time away from the every day rush that we have, time to unwind and just relax. If it's romance, service, beauty you crave, don't bother with any of the "all-inclusive big resorts". This is the best place I've ever visited.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. The hilltop rooms are bigger, but we had a gros piton and loved it just as...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank April W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have travelled a lot internationally to nice properties like four seasons, fairmonts etc so can do a lot of comparison. For the price it's a mediocre property. The prices of ladera compares to four seasons and fairmont. At least what we paid.
PROS
We got an upgrade to room B which is a 3 bedroom suite but ended up using only one bedroom.
Service is good but layed back (island style, as they call it)
Rooms are open air without the fourth wall.
Views are good but have seen better for the price
Wake up to birds chirping and cool breezes
Free wifi in the room
We are vegetarian and they did their best to accommodate us
CONS
Prices of food are outrages(eg one cup of tomato soup was US $40.00. Dinner salad and a cheese ravioli is US$90.00
I liked the cabin style look but needs updating
Better be inside the bed once sun goes down which was about 6pm when we stayed there
No lights after dark
Pool was cold but they started the heater on request but it took a long time to get warm and next day they turned it off again.
Pool was kept clean considering a tropical climate but was dirty around the pool
Have to put all your food, drinks and medicine inside the fridge or closed containers due to ants
Terrible shower. Needs updating
10 minute drive to beach

It was a good experience to stay in an open air hotel so I am glad we did.
But try other resorts with similar prices and better food like four seasons in kho Samui. For the same price the view ,the rooms the service and food is better including free nightly entertainment
(Traditional Thai dancers)

Room Tip: Get a room on second floor. More breeze and views are better. An extra tip would be to ask at rece...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Joti P
london
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We thought this was a fabulous hotel but can understand why it doesn't suit everyone.

We visited Ladera for a total of 9 nights in mid August. We were unlucky with the weather and early in our visit we had a couple of days of heavy rain and wind (start of hurricane Isaac) which put a damper on things. However, we were still able to enjoy the hotel to the full and the inclement weather gave an opportunity to observe the professionalism of the staff as they strove successfully to keep up their high standards of customer care against the odds.

Rooms

When I originally booked I had asked through the travel agent for a room if she could request a room with a with a good view from the bed (having noticed on Ladera's old website and TA that some beds were set towards the back of the rooms and sometimes at a lower level). I was also hopeful for an upgrade given the many mentions I had seen on TA. Our travel agent independently suggested that given the time of the year and that there was only three rooms in the category an upgrade was a possability. However, on both counts I was initially disappointed as we were shown to underwhelming Pitite Piton room U.

Room U
Summary - wide room with very high ceiling which gave the impression of being very spacious but had a relatively obscured view of the pitons
Good points -spacious bathroom with plenty of shelf space and great shower (it was circular, spacious, down a couple of steps and partially open above), small balcony to the back with a wonderful view and blinds which you could open up to give a really lovely breeze through the room, net curtains fitted the bed perfectly - no mossies got in, plunge pool - best view in the room and warm, two sets of drawers for clothing
Things I liked less - bed set towards the back of the room so it had little piton view, only one bedside table, in terms of furniture there was only a sofa to sit on. It had a partial view of the petit piton but a huge rockery and waterfeature really obscured the view of the whole - unless you stood on the lip of the plunge pool. The bathroom was also 'open' to the room - (door but only partial walls) this didn't bother us but shyer people may have had a problem with this. Some noise from the road (but not intrusive).

I am sure that room U would suit some people - certainly it was very comfortable to sleep in - but I really wanted to spend much of my time in the room looking at the wonderful view. Therefore on the first morning I asked reception if we could change to another PP room if one became available in the next few days. On our return from the beach we were taken to room L - also a petit piton room - which was just the ticket. We changed rooms within the half hour!

Lovely Room L
Summary - relatively small frontage but on two levels - fabulous views - downstairs bathroom.

Good points - view to die for including from the bed, seats upstairs with grandstand views of the pitons and Jalousie beach, mosaic shower with treefrog motif, downstairs sofa, intoxicating smell of the flowers planted in the garden at the rear of the room wafting in first thing in the morningl
Less good points, downstairs bathroom which was small (although beautiful), slightly noisier in that ground staff hung out occassionally in the walkway the rear of the room (there was a utility building behind and below our room) which didn't bother us, bed seemed very high off the ground and the netting didn't quite stretch to the bottom and therefore the odd mossie got in at night, the staircase was on the open wall side of the room which meant that you sometimes got wet using the stairs when it was raining (we used our robes as raincoats so this wasn't a problem). Plunge pool not so warm.

Rooms were kept beautifully clean and well serviced. We soon learnt to make good use of the Do Not Disturb sign as there appeared to be an endless trail of staff replenishing the waterbottles, soft drinks, cleaning the pool, turning down etc. If anything was missing you only had to ask and it would be rectified. Gym was well air-conditioned, stocked with some good machines (running machine was out of action) and a good set of dumbells (no barbells). I had a lovely complementary 15 min massage from Barbara.

Beach
Used the Jalousie beach several times. The loungers are comfortable and you can choose to have them in or out of the shade. The beach in front of the loungers /restaurant is perfect for swimming or you can go to the right of the beach for the snorkling where you will see many types of coral and brightly coloured fish. Buy a coconut from the coconut man! I noticed that some Ladera guests were nervious about leaving their belongings unattended. We have stayed at the Jalousie before and I have to say we had no such qualms (though we wouldn't bring lots of cash to the beach). The security staff patrol the beach and even the water taxi people seem to look out for you (the same characters were all there from our last visit two years ago). The pick ups by the minibuses worked fine.

Food and Drink
Loved it all. Made great use of local fresh ingredients. Home cooked breads and pastries (you never knew which varieties you would get in the basket). We also enjoyed the creole take on the restaurant and tried all the local dishes and specials. At lunch and dinner there was always a catch of the day and in the evening specials for both first and second courses. We still found things we wanted to eat as we entered our second week. I had one slightly disappointing meal - Shrimp Dasheen (I expected it to have more kick). The only thing I felt was a bit restricted was the choice of puddings - basically 3 (mousse, plantain and bannana tart and lava cake) all superb but could have also done with a pudding special! Home made icecreams and sorbets changed on a daily basis and were all delicious. The wine was excellent and the wine waiter appeared very knowledgable - he served them all at the right temperature and in very big glasses! The food portion sizes I thought were perfect. The birds weren't a problem at all. A couple of the evening bands were really enjoyable and prompted dancing and a party atmosphere. I particularly enjoyed the reggae band and the FS Project.

We went all inclusive. It was probably just about worth it because we ate lunch there every day but if you are moderate drinkers I would think the additional cost is marginal. The wine by the glass was both excellent and served in generous measures - US10-15 (choice of 5-6 red and white plus some rose/sparkling). I think a piton from the bar was about US6 and the cocktails ranged from about US10-14. Our lunch bill was normally signed off at about US40-50 (without drinks) and our dinner bill (with about two glasses of wine each) somewhere between US 140-200. If we went again for a week or over I would go half board - not least so we could share the time more evenly with the resaurant at Hotel Chocolate. We ate there once and it was fabulous and no more expensive than Ladera (I will review shortly).

Staff
The staff were delightful and charming but without being in your face. It was very clear that they wanted you to have a great holiday. A number of times we got treated by the staff - such as a surprise champaign cocktail at our last breakfast and some delicious cakes to sustain us on the journey home. Particular mentions to lovely Cynthia in the evenings in the Dasheen (along with Melissa, Al and Neilbert who also looked after us at lunch and Isha in the mornings) also Jennifer and Barley at the bar and a host of charming hostesses inlcuding Shekina and Lee. It was also good to meet the customer service managers at the weekly cocktail party on I think the Monday evening. Thank you too to Ethelbert and other drivers and Theodore our bell hop who we sorely tested with a number of unusual requests on our room change day! Sorry to those I don't mention by name - but we thank you all.

Would we go back?
Almost certainly but probably for fewer days. We really brought into the outdoor no airconditioning concept and were delighted with feeling much closer to nature (by the way no large spiders were spotted in spite of keeping an eye out for them!).

Room Tip: All unique, ask to change if you don't like yours
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank geebLondon
Shermael C, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments! We are glad to hear about the magical experience during your recent visit in August! We will share your feedback with the entire team! We all look forward to welcoming you back next year or sooner!
Shemael
Venice, Florida
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I recently celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary at Ladera, In our wildest dreams we could never have anticipated what a wonderful experience it would be. Going to bed listening to the chirping frogs and the sound of our own waterfall flowing into our own private pool was wonderful. Each evening we enjoyed cocktails in the lounge prior to dining on a gourmet dinner, (all with fresh local ingredients), with an amazing view of the pitons and the Caribbean bay as a backdrop…and breakfast and lunch were just as special. As for the staff…they were incredible, warm, friendly and always on top of every little detail…they were a true team, you could feel it and see it not only in the way they took care of us but in the way they interacted with each other…..Ladera is truly a magical experience for those who seek a truly memorable “get-away”.

Steve & Carol
Venice, FL

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steven D
Shermael C, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for choosing Ladera to celebrate your 50th wedding anniversary! We will be sure to share your comments with the entire team! Looking forward to welcoming you back very soon!
Jackson, California
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Amazing!!! We went in June, which didn't have an amazing sunset like I have seen on the photos, but it still was the best resort I've been too. My husband and I and another couple honeymooned there and it was just fantastic. We had a horrible experience at the Sandals and Ladera made it so much better. 5 star food, activities and rooms. YOu seriously feel like royalty. The rain is so cool!!! We did have one power outage at the restaurant, but we didn't care it was an experience. Just make sure you get one of those walkie talkies. We didn't have one and really needed it instead of walking to the reception. This place gives you the true experience of St. Lucia unlike sandals. Ladera's customer service was 5 star. Make sure you tip on your adventures tho they forgot to tell us about that. And get a massage, the give you a complimentary 20 min message awesome!!! You have to be careful about the noise too since it's open rooms. Sometimes we heard loud ppl talking and doing "other" things at night, but they do give you a care package with ear plugs, but I couldn't use them it freaked me out.

Room Tip: They are all different some are smaller some are bigger. Their site shows good ones just try and req...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TTamantini
Shermael C, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Ladera and were able to appreciate the authenticity and uniqueness of the resort. Looking forward to welcoming you on your next visit!
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed September 12, 2012

This was our sixth or seventh visit to Ladera. But due to an unpleasant (to say the very least) experience with a previous manager, we hadn't been there for several years. Returning once again was like coming home. It was wonderful to see all of our old friends again and the truly awe inspring beauty of the Pitons.
We travel to the Carribean at least a couple of times each year (for about 10 years now) and have been to many places that are off the beaten tourist track. We avoid hordes of tourists like the plague. And I can tell you with absolute certainty that NOTHING even begins to match the breathtaking beauty of Ladera. We like the Grenadines, both Bequia and especially Mustique. And there are a few other places we go back to. But for those years when Ladera was off of our list of places to visit, we invariably arrived somewhere else and found it sadly lacking in comparison. There is only one Ladera and it is impossible to tell someone who has never been there how incredibly beautiful it is. If you've ever been somewhere and found that the pictures you looked at online just didn't live up to the reality you got when you arrived, Ladera is the polar opposite. The best photographer in the world cannot capture the grandeur and the majesty of the Pitons with a camera. A bird could have flown in my mouth the first time I saw it...and even after so many visits some of that feeling remains.
All of that being said, I need to warn you that Ladera is not for everyone. First and foremost, they do not have their own beach and you are not especially welcome at Jalousie or Anse Chastanet, which are your two choices if you want to spend some time on one. Jalousie will rent you their beach chairs for the exorbitant price of $20 each per day. But the snorkeling right off the beach is terrific. Both resorts would obviously would prefer you stay with them and not at Ladera. And you might want to do precisely that if "going to the beach" is your primary thing.
Next, all the rooms and suites are open on the Pitons side. Yes, birds and bugs will fly in. DO NOT leave your lights on when you go down or up to Dasheene or the T'Chocklit lounge. You're in the tropics and the moths (in particular) are huge. And yes, there are a lot of lizards. It never ceases to amaze me that people complain these things...but they do.
Now, some advice...when you get there take a few deep breaths and let all of the pressure go. As our old friend Barley at the bar says, "You are on vay-cay-shun". Relax and get on island time. It's easy to say but actually pretty hard to do. And the sooner you can do that, the more you'll enjoy your stay.
There really is a lot to do and see...too much for one or two weeks. The resort offers various excursions, a number of which we've done. But be sure you take in one of Ray Butcher's on site garden tours. They grow a lot of what you'll eat in the restaurant right on the premises. It's every bit as good as the more formal tour of the Botannical Garden. And it doesn't cost you a dime.
Also, try and spend a little time in Soufriere while you're there. Visit our friend "Downtown Debbie" as we affectionately call her for some souveniers. Stop by the old gas station and get an ice cream from our dear, dear friend Rosemary. Tell her Curt and Karen say "hi". Have lunch or dinner at the Hummingbird. If they like you, maybe you'll get one or two homemade "spiced rums"...two is my absolute limit. Try it, you'll see.
Last, if you're there on a Friday, be sure you go to the fish fry in Anse La Raye. It's a little pricey but worth it. Anse La Raye is essentially a very poor fishing village that came up with a way to generate money for local people. They have homemade spiced rum there as well...so you know. And the way we feel about it, we have a responsibility to put a little money in the hands of people who have so little.
As you can probably tell, we know a lot more about Ladera and St. Lucia than the average tourist...a lot more than any other review you'll read. But it's impossible for me to tell you everything in one post. So if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to tell you the truth.
We are VERY biased. Many of the people at Ladera are truly our friends and we want them to do well. So we obviously want you to visit. That's our agenda...questions anyone?

Room Tip: Some rooms are better than others. We liked R...Gros Piton. Just be aware that you will get some roa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Curt R
Dear Curt and Karen we are so glad that you decided to return to Ladera this year! As always your feedback is very much appreciated and we can’t wait to see you again for your eighth visit to Ladera!
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Ladera was the first of three hotels that we stayed at during our honeymoon. I used tripadvisor I strongly recommend everyone’s reviews, as they were very helpful.

St. Lucia is a beautify island and Ladera really takes advantage of the exotic nature of the island. When we arrived to check in the staff gave us a genuine warm welcome. They gave us the unique and refreshing drink with fresh cool hand towels. They’d make a fortune if they bottled and sold this drink. What a great way to freshen up after a long trip.

The room was incredible. The view was majestic. We had the Piton Mountains on each side and could see down to the beach with palm trees. A night we’d watch the moon and occasionally an ocean liner would pass by in the distance like a floating city. We had no problem sleeping or with bugs that a few other people commented on.

The people of St. Lucia are so warm and friendly and the staff at Ladera are no exception. We learned a new phrase that quickly became our favorite, “No pressure, no problem.” Sandi was one of the memorable people we met during our stay at Ladera. Every morning she would announce our names with a huge smile as we entered the restaurant for breakfast. She made us smile, relax and feel welcomed all at once.

Speaking of the food. My wife and I are foodies who enjoy both cooking in and dining out. It’s a common interest we share and we wanted a memorable culinary experience to be part of our honeymoon. Dasheene exceeded our expectations. Chef Orlando is a genious!!! The dishes were fresh, light with complex flavors that just left us in awe. His website is http://sharethelovechef.com if you want to get a preview.

We did the Peak to Beach package with the hotel Cap Maison. A great tip I got from these reviews was to go with the all inclusive and I concur.

We spent time zip lining, lounging on the beach, snorkeling and poolside. I also wanted to comment on the beach and service. A few people were not pleased with this part. We experienced no problems at all. The beach is beautiful, the water tropical and great snorkeling too.

Our stay at Ladera was the perfect “pattern interrupt” to move from the stress of life and the wedding to relaxing honeymoon.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
We look forward to welcoming you back on your anniversary! The Ladera welcome cocktail will be waiting for you!
Shermael
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!