“Wow wow wow again !”
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Hurray, they were open, this time, just visited for pre-dinner drinks, piña coladas, a piton beer - draught, and a cafe magic cocktail - lovely, yum yum.

Locations, views as lovely as ever, as well remembered in 2008. Our last visit in September 2010, found them shut for annual renovations !

Jazz type band playing Sunday brunch time, when we visited.
I can imagine to rooms are beautiful, the pool is lovely with a view to die for.
Go, if you can afford it ! Stay there, if not just pop in for drinks and maybe a meal.

Room Tip: Can't imagine there is a bad room !
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jalousiegirl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,316)

Reviewed May 1, 2012

Ladera isn't like anything you've ever experienced. The open fourth wall concept is brilliant, views are beyond what I can describe (especially in the morning and at sunset), the food was exquisite (and this is from a New Yorker who eats at high-end restaurants regularly), and the staff is incredibly kind and helpful.

The only real knock on the place is that the beach situation -- you need to travel down to Jalouise Plantation and when we were there, we were relegated to a section of chairs off to the side near ongoing, noisy construction -- is disappointing. But everything else is so spectacular -- particularly the views -- that you're left at a loss for proper words.

I can understand how for those who aren't comfortable outdoors it could be uncomfortable -- bugs are attracted to lights at night -- but for those who aren't uptight, this is an experience to remember forever.

Room Tip: Each room is unique and has unique features. You can poke around online for those you might really l...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PWNYC419
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Let me say first "Thank God I didn't go through booking with this Motel." I call it a Motel because it doesn't hold up to any standards of a resort, or a hotel at best. When researching a place for my honeymoon, I couldn't help but see the pictures of this Motel and see what a beautiful view it has. I called to inquire about a special for the 20th Anniversary package which stated it included all meals. We spoke with Samantha, Alma and Livia regarding a honeymoon reservation we booked through Orbitz on Wednesday, the 25th of April. Prior to making the reservation we called and spoke with Samantha who helped us make the decision of booking at Ladera by explaining that due to the resort's 20 year anniversary, all meals would be included during our stay. My fiance and I discussed this added benefit and decided to call Ladera back to confirm that we would receive this meal plan despite booking through Orbitz. Again, after specifically inquiring about the inclusion of the meal plan with the Orbitz reservation Samantha confirmed that the meals would be included. We then booked the 5 day stay at Ladera and were excited about our upcoming honeymoon. The next day we called Ladera to confirm that the reservation had been received. At this time we also asked for re-confirmation that the meal plan would be included. Alma stated that meals were not included unless booked directly with the resort. We asked that she escalate the call to her Manager so that we may explain our prior conversations with Samantha. The call was transferred to Livia, who stated that the meals were not included. Upon further discussion she stated that she would call us back after speaking with her Manager as well as with Samantha. Later that evening, Livia called us to inform us that she had spoken with her Manager and that despite the misinformation provided by your staff nothing would be done to accommodate. I think its such poor business sense to turn away a paying customer and not accomodate even when staff told us to go ahead and book that the package would be included, and penalizing us for their shortcomings. Now they will never have my business and hopefully not yours. BE VERY CAREFUL, THEY TELL YOU ONE THING AND THEN TURN IT AROUND. On top of it, the head Manager emails us back informing us that they fired Samantha, frankly thats none of my business or anyone else's...UNPROFESSIONALISM AT ITS BEST.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Rachel B
Ermin J, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

We are very disappointed to hear about your comment. The package you are referring to was indeed not available through Orbitz. The employee who mis-informed you was counseled on this matter. We are sorry to receive this rating considering you did not stay at Ladera.
Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

First of all I'd like to say this was one of the most beautiful views and rooms I've ever had. I've traveled to over 45 countries and stayed in some of the best, and worst, places.....Ladera's view and room (uniqueness and beauty) were world class. My wife and I traveled to Ladera for the sole purpose of getting married, which we did....and for which she wrote a Trip Advisor review a few days ago.

Here is where it gets bad. My wife and I made only a couple of simple requests for our wedding. As her review points out we were disappointed in the follow through from Ladera. Her review was meant to help other brides decide whether Ladera was a suitable place to hold their wedding. After all, there was only the two of us, with no guests, our own photographer......we were about as easy as it's ever going to get in the wedding business. All told, we spent about $10,000 USD to travel to, lodge and have the wedding in Ladera. We thought for the expense, others would want to know what they are getting into, thus the review.

Since her initial review, my wife has been inundated with emails that could only be described as hate mail from "friends of the staff" at Ladera. My wife and I have both worked in the service industry in the past.....so we know what it can be tough work. That's where my sympathy ends. I have read many positive reviews of Ladera.....and I agree that the staff seems very friendly at first....it's when you actually ask for something that the smiles turned to frowns and excuses were plentiful as to why your lunch order was forgotten (for 90 minutes), or a rude staff member failed to give her name on the phone, or hung up when asked why she was rude. I had commented to my wife while we were at Ladera that a few, and I emphasize few, members of the staff seemed rude to her and other women at the resort. My observations have been confirmed by the very distasteful and mean-spirited emails she has received since her review.

To whomever is writing the notes, if they continue, I will post them on this forum for all to see and judge. The readers will be able to determine for themselves as to if guests at Ladera are respected, or seen as a nuisance and problems by the staff.

Room Tip: Spend the additional money for the suites. The large pool is fantastic and the views cannot be beat...
14  Thank Terry W

In response to your first review listed below, I attempted to reach out to you last week to follow up. We are deeply concerned, not only about your experience but also the comment you received as a result. This comment was not initiated by anyone employed at Ladera. We were able to investigate with the help of our Team to find out it was sent by a past disgruntled employee that left last year. We had no control or any involvement with this matter. We are obligated to address the situation to prevent this individual from contacting our guests in the future.
We appreciate as always our customers’ feedback as we continue to improve our standards. Ladera does not support in anyway this type of customer service. Once again there was misrepresentation by a third party which was unfortunate and out of our control. We take this type of action very seriously and reassure you that we will do our very best to stop this individual.
Once again, we deeply apologize and hope that you will give me the opportunity to speak with you in person. Your feedback is appreciated.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

Ladera was everything we expected and more. We stayed in Room R, it was beautifully decorated and had an amazing view of the Pitons. Our in room pool had direct sunlight, which made it very enjoyable. There really was no reason to leave your room. The staff was very professional, friendly and accomodating. The complimentary breakfast was very good and got even better when some changes were implemented upon the owner's arrival. Contrary to other reviews we have seen on Trip Advisor, we did not experince any problems with bugs. Even if we had, there was netting over the bed and bug spray was provided. This place is beyond romantic and will remain in our hearts forever.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a pool with direct sunlight, otherwise it will be too cold to use
3  Thank mhappold
Reviewed April 25, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a short, 4 night stay at Ladera where we got married. There is no denying that the rooms are very unique because of the open air concept and beautiful views--but that's about where it ends. We had been working with Samantha George, Ladera's Wedding Coordinator, for approximately 2 months leading up to the wedding. Our wedding was about as simple as it gets--no guests, very low-key, and basically no special requests. I am about as far away on the Bridezilla scale as you can get. I didn't care what kind of cake they gave us, what time the ceremony occurred, no special requests on bouquet, vows, music, or ceremony set-up. The only thing I asked for assistance with was locating a hair and make-up person. I should've known there would be issues from our initial interaction with Samantha via email and phone. In order to obtain a marriage license in St. Lucia, we had to send some paperwork ahead of time--copies of birth certificates, passports, etc. Evidently they also need occupation title in order to issue the marriage license. We sent this information no less than 4 times to Samantha via email, only to receive a panicked email a week before the wedding saying the lawyers needed the occupation. Bit of a problem with organization.

Again, we were very laid back about the entire wedding event. Samantha assured me she had a hair and makeup person coming. Long story short, the woman showed up an entire hour late, leaving me less than an hour to do both hair and makeup, and she showed up with NO makeup! Samantha began asking me if I had my own makeup with the morning of the ceremony, then said the hairdresser would buy some. She showed up with one cheap palette of eye-shadow and some lip gloss. That was it. Thank goodness I had brought some of my own, although very basic. She literally dashed out of the room, saying she had to leave, after first doing my hair and then putting some eyeshadow on me. No mascara, no lips, no asking if I was satisfied. Warning to any bride who goes through Ladera for wedding coordination--book your own hair and makeup person! Do not use this woman! Her name was Tracy, and after pulling some teeth during check out I was told her name is Tracy John and she owns a salon called Tracy's Hair Salon, I think in Soufriere.

During check out, I saw that I was charged $170 for hair and makeup. I made sure the staff was aware of my disappointment with the extremely unprofessional service. We flew a photographer in from CA to shoot our wedding, and the one thing I had wanted was professional hair and makeup. Despite my early attempts to coordinate with Samantha months before the wedding, get names of salons and pictures of prior work, I ended up with the disaster that was Tracy. Instead of apologizing or even acknowledging that there was a problem, Samantha called Tracy who agreed to take a whopping $20 off the price. This wasn't about the money--it was the fact that she showed up an hour late and didn't even comment on it, ran out w/o finishing, and had the nerve to show up without any make-up. A respectable hotel would take it off the bill, apologize, and have contracted someone professional and reliable in the first place. It may seem like a relatively small issue, but having spent a large chunk on flying in a professional photographer from CA, I am going to be stuck with a lifetime of looking crappy in my wedding photos because of this incident.

We found the overall experience to be sub-par. Everything was just a little off and certainly not up to American service standards, for the price of the rooms. We had booked a Hilltop Dream Suite and were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite (through American Express Platinum). The room was beautiful and spacious, with two full bathrooms. The food was only average; the continental breakfast a joke. Everything was very expensive, including $9.50 for a bag of Doritos through the hotel gift shop. It really seemed like everyone had a bit of an attitude. On one occasion, for example, a woman who answered the room service phone was actually arguing with my husband when he had to call 3x when we were waiting nearly 90 minutes for our order. These are things that should not be happening when you are paying nearly $1000/night for a room. The beach access system with Jalousie and Anse Chasanet doesn't work--they make you feel like 2nd class citizens, shove you in one area of beach, and give you crappy chairs.

Overall, really needs to step up their level of service and professionalism, and get rid of the bad attitudes that seem to permeate the staff. I would not recommend getting married here unless you want to ship in everything yourself--hair and makeup person, photographer (best decision we made). If we weren't happy--being completely laid back about the wedding and having almost zero special requests--I can't imagine any other bride would be.

10  Thank SBGWashington_DC
Ermin J, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

We acknowledge your comments and we are extremely disappointed to hear about your experience. This is by no means typical of our service at Ladera and the first time we’ve ever had a negative comment on weddings at Ladera. We thank you for sharing the specifics of your experience. We will investigate, follow-up and take the appropriate action immediately to ensure this never happens again.
You can be reassured your comments are taken very seriously.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

We only came here for dinner one night but definitely wished we had stayed here instead of Jalousie Plantation. The view is spectacular! And the few hours we were at Ladera, we were treated very graciously by everyone who worked there, unlike at Jalousie. The only draw back is Jalousie has the beach, but honestly, I think Ladera is more worth it as the beach at Jalousie is man made with imported sand. Since its man made, it was very rocky towards the edges of the beach and I actually cut my foot a couple times.

Back to Ladera - At dinner, they serve bread with a homemade dip that was ridiculously good. All the tables around us, including us, kept asking about it, and our waitress was nice enough to bring out more when we finished ours. Tip - Definitely go early before the sun sets, bring a camera! enjoy drinks on the balcony area while taking in the magnificent view!

2  Thank Grace L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Stonefield Villa Resort
Stonefield Villa Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!