“A unique place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
noreaster1
“A unique place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

Ladera is absolutely beautiful. Each room has no wall on the ocean side, so you're facing right out to the cliff and the bay and the Pitons. Despite that, they are all completely private and you can not see any other rooms. We got a room with a plunge pool - barely used it, and frankly it didn't seem necessary. The restaurant was a bit overrated in my opinion. One of our favorite things to do was to sit at the bar and watch the sun set over the Pitons. We were treated to an amazing rain storm over the ocean one afternoon. Overall, well worth the money if you want to splurge.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Gros Islet, St. Lucia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

Absolutely loved how the pools look into infinity over the edge to the Pitons....one of the greatest views in Soufriere...and excellent food !!!

2 Thank Stlucianforlife
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

I have been to a few great restaurants in my life so far, but this not one place has been anywhere as terrific as this one. We stayed here for 8 nights for our Honeymoon, and had booked it through Couture Travel in London. As it turned out, we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom villa, and got a free bottle of champagne.

The villa itself was a super plush treehouse sort of a thing. Made of wood, and with two splash pools (one indoors, one outdoors ... naturally :) ). There was no TV - thank goodness - and the moment we entered, we were greeted by a breathtaking view of the Pitons and the sea between them.

This is the kind of place you will love if you are a nature lover. On our first night, there was a massive thunderstorm. It was windy, pitch dark, there was deafening sound of rain on the sloping roofs, but the place was so well designed that not a drop came into the living areas.

The restaurant itself was fantastic, as was the live music each night. I'd recommend checking out some of the nearby restaurants too as there are quite a few, and are quite nice too.

Service was excellent. Almost every member of staff seemed to know our names. And the cleaning was very discreet (we never saw the cleaners, ever!).

On the whole, a fantastic experience and a must for a couple!

Hint: Do forget about your bank account while you're there though. It is pricey!

Room Tip: 2-bedroom villas are massive and quite unnecessary for a couple. You can save by going for the 1-bed...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Abhishek S
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

We booked the hotel for a short 4 day 3 nights stay. Its the one of the most amazing experience we had in St. Lucia. The breath taking view from the room, the in-room pool, the million stars night watching from the deck, the rainbow right after the storm right in front of you, sitting at the bar watching sunset with mouth watering tapas and sparkling wine. On top of ALL that, staffs are extremely friendly and helpful. There are hourly shuttle bus rides to the beach (another hotel).

Some minor things are less selection of breakfast (and they are pretty pricey. I think $10 for two eggs). SPA is not as good. We end up having spa treatment at the Jalousie, the hotel the shuttle took us for beach activities. The treatments there were awesome. Also, as for the beach facility, Ladera hotel residents are not allowed to use the lounge chairs with umbrella/cabana. There is a small beach section with no umbrella or services provided to Ladera residences, which was kinda a bummer.

Overall, we had a GREAT time with ladera and recommend it!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Faye T
Ermin J, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Thank you for your comment. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and looking forward to welcoming you back soon! In regards to the beach access, we continue to give complimentary shuttle service to the beach, every hour on the hour on a daily basis. Both beaches are public beaches, limited in size and can be crowded during the high season. Our intent is to facilitate access to the beach and to commit to a specific space an a “first come, first serve basis’’. We are happy to absorb the cost of the chair rental for our guests based upon availability at Jalousie.

Thank you once again for your meaningful feedback. Please feel free to contact me should you have any questions, we look forward to your continued business

Ermin
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

We have visited over fifty countries throughout the world, stayed in many of the most highly praised hotels, and rate 'Ladera' as one of two truly unforgettable experiences. (The other one is in South Africa!) View with a room - yes, and what a view! The charm of staying in a totally private suite, purposefully without that fourth wall so that views over the rainforest, Pitons and the Caribbean sea remain unhindered has to be experienced to be believed. To swim to the edge of your own private pool, to sip wine while gazing over the rainforest and that 1,000 ft. drop (!) with hummingbirds visiting from time to time ... bliss! Add to that a bathroom with quirky charm; Manager and staff with great enthusiasm; restaurant serving five-star food; truly Caribbean entertainment each evening; courtesy access to other hotels and beaches ...... the memory will live with us. Our thanks to all at Ladera who made our stay in Hilltop 5 a most wonderful, unexpected experience.

Room Tip: Should we return, we would choose Hilltop Dream Suite 5.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Valentino13
Gradyville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

We have visited several resorts in St. Lucia and Ladera stands far above all the rest. Unbelievable views from each room, fantastic, friendly service from every staff member, and five star food makes this resort the place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms have a beautiful view, some suites have larger plunge pools
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Randy B
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

I did some extensive research for our honeymoon, and Ladera was one of the first resorts I came across. I should have stopped looking right there. Nothing else even compared to the beautiful pictures of the Pitons, and the unique open air rooms. After we had decided that Ladera was the place for us, I still had some small doubts because 1) I am NOT a fan of camping or bugs and 2) I wanted immediate access to the beach. For all of you who are on the fence about Ladera because of the same doubts, TRUST ME I am so glad we went!!!

It’s true, pictures do not do this place justice. I was totally blown away. Ladera really does bring you to a completely different state of mind, which is what we were looking for in our honeymoon. Total relaxation and romance. The staff went above and beyond; by the second day I felt like everyone knew my name. We did the all inclusive Great Escape package, which in my opinion is the only way to go since the drinks and food are pricey. Food was AMAZING, everything we had was delicious. I tried to eat something different every night but had to have the Rhythm of Rasta Pasta twice because it was so good. Drinks were exceptional as well. Ain made the BEST drinks, look for him if you appreciate a strong drink like my husband and I do. ;) Jennifer was also great, always had a smile on her face and was such a pleasure to talk to.

On the second day we asked maintenance to come by and take a look at our plunge pool heater (we were in a Hilltop Dream Suite) because it wasn’t heating very well. We were immediately shown to another Hilltop room, and then to a villa after that. After seeing both (and even though the villa was a lot bigger than our Hilltop) I decided that I was really in love with the Hilltop and would rather just stay there. When we were back in our room Melissa (who had been showing us the other rooms) came to the door and offered to show us one more room. It was the 2 bedroom Villa, room C, which is seriously the best room there! Of course we decided to move to that room and I can’t thank Melissa enough for going out of her way to make sure we were happy. I wish I had gotten to say goodbye to her. For those of you who are curious about the different Hilltop Dream Suites, X3 is my favorite and that’s the one we were originally in.

I’ll address the bug/open air issue: For us, bugs were not a problem at all. Lizards and birds in the daytime and little cute frogs at night. The birds fly in and out of your room, so if that freaks you out, this might not be the place for you. I loved it. Don’t leave food or drinks out though, you will probably find a bird perched on them if you leave the room. Since the southern part of St. Lucia is rainforest, I was expecting it to be very humid. I was totally surprised to find the temperature was PERFECT. Not humid to me in the least (and we are from Texas, so we know all about humidity) and at night there is a cool breeze that makes sleeping so comfortable. We went in January, so I don’t know if the other months are different.

Beach: Ladera has a shuttle that takes you to Jalousie Beach, and we stayed there for about 10 minutes and left. I really didn’t like the fact that since you are not a guest of the Jalousie Plantation resort you have to stay in a small corner of the beach. Anse Chastanet beach is WAY better, you can go wherever you want and the snorkeling is great. It’s about a 20 minute drive from Ladera. If you request a car to go to Anse Chastanet or anywhere around town ask for Baby Shaq. He was really fun and told us a lot about the history of Soufriere.

I wish I could remember everyone’s names, because they were all such amazing people and so warm and inviting. Again, a special thanks to Melissa for the GORGEOUS room upgrade. Words cannot describe how breathtaking that view is. Also, thanks to Viani (sorry if I spelled the name wrong) for setting up such a romantic dinner in our room on the last night of our trip. He always stopped to talk to us and make sure we were enjoying ourselves. I think that everyone should visit Ladera atleast once in their lifetime, nothing will ever compare to the experience we had there. I am saving up for next time!

Room Tip: Do the all inclusive plan.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank amber m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!