“A Room with a View”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
New York City, New York
“A Room with a View”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Pros
- The view from the room is amazing, the rooms only have three walls (see cons)
- The accommodating staff, they went out of thier way to insure we enjoyed ourselves
- The rooms are a nice size, we had a one bedroon suite which included a plunge pool. The room had a refrigerator stocked with complimentary water and soft drinks
- Waking up in the morning to see the view

Cons
- Since the rooms are open to the elements you can expect to welcome mosquitos, frogs, lizards, birds and spiders in the room. Thankfully there is mosquito netting around the bed
- Although the temperature is pleasant, there were some some evenings I wanted air conditioning
- Noise from neighboring rooms was a problem and on a few nights woke us up
- It a trek to the beach, the closest beach requires a ten minute drive and the nicest beach is 20 minutes away by car
- The restaurant at Ladera falls short of what we expected.We tried breakfast, lunch and dinner and every time we were disappointed with the quuality of the food and the preparation

Room Tip: Go for a one bedroom suite, since you'll spend a lot of time in the room you'll appreciate t...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adambikenyc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed December 31, 2011

We recently stayed here for our honeymoon. The place is a truly exotic getaway. We were able to get a great deal through jetsetter. However look for deals through other places such as visa signature that are ongoing. We loved every moment of it. We first started out our honeymoon at Rendevous in Casteris area. This was a perfect beach get away and spent the last few days of our honeymoon at Ladera. Everything was perfect from our arrival to checkout. It rained some of the time however we loved sitting at the bar area watching the mountains, reading a book, playing scrabble on our ipads and just plain enjoying each others company. I would have liked to spend more times here. The night dinner is amazing cooked by their renowned chef. He does a cooking class as well which was well worth hanging around for. Great memories.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank britishap123
Ermin J, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this review, January 2, 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed your honeymoon at Ladera! Come back and see us soon!

Uniontown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 31, 2011

The service at Ladera was excellent. The staff catered to all of our needs. The location was so beautiful. To watch the sun set and wake up in the morning viewing the Pitons was so amazing! We can't imagine a better view from anywhere else in St. Lucia. The resort's restaurant, Dasheene, was excellent. We were able to talk to Chef Orlando and his staff. We also had great service from Gibson who was one of our waiters.

Room Tip: With only three walls you can expect to have some bug bites.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments! We will share with the entire team! Looking forward to seeing you again next year!

Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed December 31, 2011

We have had two great meals at the resort. The view from the restaurant deck is the best in the country.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 23, 2011

The resort and it's rooms were amazing. The rooms are full of character and the view is breathtaking. The staff was great and the grounds were well kept. The three wall thing was pretty neat. The weather was perfect in March during our stay.
Negatives- there is a crazy road to get to the resort from the airport. If you have motion sickness issues, you may want to take precautions. The restaurant, in my opinion was average and over priced. Most guests seemed to like it, but my wife and I are from Louisiana...
If you don't go all inclusive, you probably will save money, but the resort is kind of isolated. We ate at hotel chocolate across the street and it was pretty decent and more reasonably priced. On the way to the resort, the cab driver suggested that we stop at the grocery store to pick up alcohol. We picked up a few bottles of wine and local beer. Much cheaper than what the hotel charged.
Overall, great resort! It had character and some of the most amazing views. I give it a solid recommendation. We stayed at another resort on the island and the Ladera blew the other one out the water.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank carnol2
We thank you for your comments and took note of your suggestions in regards to the restaurant.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2011

This review is based on the price I paid of more than £400 (USD 625) per night for the week from 9th to 15th December. This supposedly includes one free night out of 7. I am not sure if my room (Suite P) was a Petit Piton Suite or a Gross Piton Suite. The rack rates for these according to the website on 12 December 2011 are USD 480 and USD 615 for Autumn rates (Oct 1st to December 21st), respectively. I would be interested to know what rates other people have paid for the "Autumn" season.

Good points
○ Views from rooms - stunning it cannot be denied - views over the rain forest to the sea framed by the Petit and Gross Pitons.
○ Can use the beach at Jalousie Plantation and the facilities (the devil is in the detail)

Other Points
○ Poor value for money - we were charged over £400 per night for 7 nights for room P from Dec 9th to Dec15th 2011. Facilities, luxury, location, decor, design compared with the Jalousie Plantation are far inferior. We were told Ladera was 5 star standard by the agent.
○ The hotel might have been special 7 or more years ago when it was fresher and newer, and when it did not face such tough competition. In fact it won the 2005 Conde Nast Award for the Best Hotel in the world. And to my amazement it seems to have been awarded several other awards, although I would not take awards from never heard of local magazines and organizations too seriously. Even in 2005 I cannot imagine that it really was the best hotel in the world.
○ The location could be better: The hotel is squeezed between the top of a hill and a road. The road was not exactly busy but I was woken on the first day at 6 am by a lorry grinding its 1st gear and tooting its horn several times. This may have been connected with the construction works going on at Jalousie Plantation.
○ For a £400 per night hotel it is tired and in need of some refurbishment works:
§ The walk to the rooms along a concrete path is not properly maintained and is tired and depressing, made mostly from concrete that many years ago was decorated by marking the still wet concrete with patterns from nature such as leaves and flowers. To me it seems like the kind of thing I'd see along the entrance to a primary school.
§ The rooms are varnished wood and terracotta and mosaic style tiles which again look like they have been there for 15 or 20 years at least, with little refurbishment or if there was a refurbishment it looks like it was done by a local builder with no clue about design.
§ We were staying in Suite P.
□ Plunge pool tired and old and in need of a thorough overhaul - not just a repaint! The pot which overflows to create the fountain into the plunge pool has been painted high gloss brown and looks cheap and nasty (see photo). It's the kind of thing your local builder would do if asked to spruce it up for as little cost as possible. I was not even the slightest bit tempted to take a dip.
□ All the wood has been given several coats of high gloss varnish, which makes it look like something out of the 1970s
□ The wardrobe with hangers and room safe was in the bathroom which is spectacularly inconvenient when your partner is in the bathroom and you need to get to the safe or your clothes in the wardrobe.
□ The light switches and sockets look about 20 + years old and are faded gold plate and look like they have been installed by a dodgy electrician (see photo). There were only 2 available sockets on either side of the bed, so if I wanted to use my laptop I was unable to use and charge it while sitting on the sofa or on the sun loungers - only on the bed.
□ We liked the four poster bed with mosquito nets. Large and very comfortable, and the linen was 100% cotton and clean and good quality.
○ Breakfast
§ Spectacular views to the sea and the Petit and Gross Pitons framing the picture.
§ Each table has a colourful child's water pistol to shoot at the large variety of small birds trying to eat any left over crumbs.
§ Service was slow and not particularly friendly
§ The fresh fruit served was mediocre at best. There was a limited selection of fairly ordinary fruit: bananas, and melon (no mango, no passion fruit, no papaya, no berries etc) and it was not particularly ripe or sweet, in fact disappointingly so. I can buy much better fruit from M&S in London. This is really not good enough for a hotel charging me a rate of > £400 in a Caribbean island where the fruit is so cheap and easily available. This was particularly obvious when the next morning we had fresh fruit at The Landings, where the fresh fruit was much much better quality and with a greater variety.
§ There was a choice of Sorrel "Juice" or Passion "Juice". Both were heavily diluted and frankly I can buy better in my local corner shop in a carton. It is the quality I would expect from a 2 star boarding house in Bournemouth.
§ The pastries were St Lucian in style and these I enjoyed.
§ We ordered an omelette which was well cooked and presented - 8/10
§ We also ordered a pumpkin pancake, which was interesting but not something I would order again.
§ Overall the breakfast was very far from what you would expect from a hotel charging > £400 a night. To me it seemed like someone in the kitchen was skimming, but that is obviously only my impression.
○ Use the of the Jalousie Plantation sun loungers and facilities on Jalousie beach
§ I was initially impressed by the claimed daily shuttle that takes 15 minutes that goes down to Jalousie beach and allows Ladera guests to use the Jalousie Plantation sun loungers and other facilities there. Or at least that was what I had been told.
§ After picking up the sun lounger vouchers from Ladera reception, we were taken down to Jalousie beach. The shuttle actually takes about 20 minutes. The distance is short but the road is steep and winding and cars are forced to go slowly even in dry conditions. In wet conditions, even slower I presume.
§ As we walked along the beach looking forward to relaxing in the new and luxurious Jalousie Plantation white cotton loungers and generously proportioned straw roofed parasols, we were met by the Jalousie Plantation beach attendant, who took our vouchers and instructed us to follow him. He led us to the back far corner of the beach next to the on-going noisy construction works and pointed to two rows of aging black sun loungers (see photo), that were not particularly clean and had splatters of bird droppings here and there.
§ Yes, Ladera guests cannot use the new Jalousie Plantation sun loungers, only the dirty aging old black ones which have no parasols.
§ And no, we were told we were not able to use the Jalousie Plantation swimming pool, only the beach rest rooms
§ I imagined this is how it must have felt to be a non-white during the Apartheid regime in South Africa. All the JP guests in the luxurious new white linen sun loungers in the best position on the beach with stylish palm tree straw parasols protecting them from the powerful sun. And the other people in the back corner of the beach next to the construction works with no parasols with the dirty old black sun loungers.
§ And the incredible thing was that I'd paid considerably more per night for my room than most of the people looking down at me from their white linen sun loungers, as I roasted alive in the old black sun loungers covered in bird excrement. I know this because I narrowly missed booking the Jalousie Plantation both on the internet and via the agent, having been persuaded by the agent to try something in another part of the island as I would spend the next week near Jalousie beach. I was not happy on my first day after arriving in St Lucia.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Snowmunch
We are sorry to hear about your experience at Ladera. We will take note of your suggestions and will continue to upgrade our suites and villas every year as in the past, while retaining a green /eco friendly attitude.

Throggs Neck, NY
Reviewed December 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Ladera for the first 5 nights of our honeymoon in St. Lucia. Although I was apprehensive of having a 3 wall room - because I get pretty freaked out with lizards, spiders and insects - our stay was amazing!!!!! We were upgraded to a three bedroom villa after our first day because housekeeping reported to the front desk that our room had a leak - which we didn't even notice. The view is literally breathtaking and the place is just so tranquil and relaxing. We booked an all-inclusive plan and were soo happy we did because Dasheene, the only restaurant there was pretty pricey. Now, words cannot explain how delicious the food was at Dasheene - and I think that the prices are spot on for the quality you receive however it was a relief not to have to shell out money at every meal.

The rooms have no tv and we borrowed a portable dvd player from front desk with a few movies. It was cozy!

As far as a tarantulu sighting - we didn't see any (THANK GOD!). Make sure to pack Off spray or light up the coils they offer in the room because mosquitos will definitely attack.

I would love to go back to Ladera - was a great experience!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!