“Amazing natural carribean escape”
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Our first time to the Caribbean and we are in love with the Ladera resort! The other reviews are not exaggerating when they say that the view is unreal. Some cons: you don't have your own beach, if you want to go to a beach it is a car ride (they have scheduled shuttle rides). You are also only allowed to sit in a certain area of the beach, but it is stil very very nice. You are basically only five feet from the patrons of the beach hotel, so it's not a problem. The pros: EVERYTHING ELSE. the rooms are unbelievable. The view, your own private pool, the food is world class. The service is amazing. The owner Holly and the manager will know you by name from the minute you arrive. Chef Orlando is superbly talented at using the local ingredients to make a meal that you will remember. The buffet on Tuesday nights is amazing!
The way to go is all inclusive since meals are pricey and will add up fast. Dinner at dasheens will be about 100$ per person for 3 courses and glass of wine, lunch is about $50 per person. Definitely try the dasheen shrimp, and lamb curry. Bugs weren't too bad and you have a canopy bed so it's ok. Car ride to hotel was not bad at all and you learn a lot about the local area. It's about 30 min and windy but very doable.

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank Lmahmood

Reviewed March 29, 2011

We had such a wonderful stay at Ladera. This hotel is very unique with it's three-walled configuration. Certainly more suited for the more adventurous traveller as your clothes do start to feel a little damp. All part of the experience however. We did not opt for the meal plan which was a huge mistake. We typically like to get out and explore a bit when traveling and so we try not to get locked into any meal plan at the hotel. However, we found the food at Ladera to be outstanding and far beyond the level of dining anywhere else that we tried and the drinks were expensive, so we would have been better off calling Ladera our final destination rather than constantly trying to leave the hotel. We did go to Anse Chastanet for a dive one day. The restaurant we ate at there was situated directly on the black sand beach which was fantastic, but the food was just okay. The property was far larger than Ladera, had tennis courts and a dive center. This is someplace I absolutely will go back to, but think 3-4 nights is plenty. This is a great spot for couples looking to have some quality one on one time or would be super fun with a group of couples looking to get away together. One last thing, my husband and I are very active and we signed up to hike the small Piton. This is a very rigorous hike. Not for the average hiker. I could not sit down for the remainder of the trip:) Good thing they made a mean run punch to help ease the pain...

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2011

We celebrated my wife's birthday. Stayed in Suite S. Terrific views and best staff on the island. Must like Nature -Open room layout and the chirping frogs at night and birds in the morning :> Rooms are tropical with a carved wood and netting over the bed. Romantic but not the Four Seasons. Which we liked. The grounds are well maintained. People are really accommodating and made the stay a treat. Mix of music every night !

Restaurant was good but had better dinner and lunch at the Jalousie Plantation down at the beach (which had better food prep but poorer service and staff attention) Spa was better at Jalousie Plantation

Need to travel to beaches. Jalousie beach was the best for us.

Reviewed March 26, 2011

People, Pitons, attitude, smile, friendly, kind, courteous, warm, generous, People, thoughtful,pleasant, cheerful, willing, People, People.....get the message?

1  Thank teddytoad
Reviewed March 21, 2011

My husband and I just returned to the real world yesterday from paradise at The Ladera Resort in Soufriere, St. Lucia. We stayed for a week and were upgraded to a Grande Piton Suite which was to die for. From the minute we entered the Ladera property we were pampered and treated like royalty. All of the staff were extremely friendly and at our beck and call. A special thank you to Vianney in room service who graced us every day with a delicious breakfast delivered to our room. There is a $10 delivery charge but it is well worth it to enjoy your meal in the luxury of your suite with the view of the Pitons. The Ladera has thought of everything you might need while in your room, including a bright green little water pistol for chasing any hungry birds that may fly into your room while you're enjoying your meal. The birds are quite smart - we only had to raise the little squirt gun and they were gone. The robes and slippers were part of our attire during the week as you didn't need much more while we were in the room. The plunge pool is such a nice feature and was used regularly. The Dasheene Restaurant was oustanding - especially their lava cake dessert! If you're thinking of going to St. Lucia, The Ladera is the place to stay. It may not be on the beach but they have a free shuttle that will take you there and pick you up at very convenient times.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bagelblaster
Reviewed March 17, 2011

My husband and I just finished a trip to St.Lucia and a few days at Ladera.

It was about as expected, after reading many of the helpful reviews here.
I loved the rooms, the unique & spectacular view, the 4 poster beds with mosquito nets and the open air layout of the resort. What I didn't like as much ( but was expecting it ) was being able to hear your neighbors at all times of the day- their toilet flushing etc., and also the surprisingly loud noise at night from the tree frogs. We ended up not sleeping particularly well- one night there was a possum in the room, another night a mouse. This didn't bother me much, but it doesn't lend itself to a really good nights sleep!!
So, back to the "upgrade". We had booked a Petit Piton room and were upgraded to a one bedroom villa- directly overlooking the restaurant, pool and taxi stand. It is A-1.We stayed one night there and then asked to be moved. We have been traveling a lot and packing up again to move to another room wasn't what I wanted to do on my holiday, but we were moved to our original, smaller room- much quieter. If they try and upgrade you to this room, I would have a look at it and see if it works for you before you move in.
We ate at Dasheene and also Boucan, across the street. Dasheen was ok, service and atmosphere was great. Boucan's food was better for me, ( my husband preferred Dasheene) and the service very nice too, but beware of the smallest glass of wine ever served. If you are going to have a glass or 2, I would recommend springing for a bottle.
Last, but not least, we opted to do the Gros Pition hike. Both my husband and I are fit people and it kicked our bums. It was really really hard- and for me not enjoyable. Walking up was hard, down nearly unbearable. I would only do this hike if you are
1. extremely fit
2. have no knee problems
3. Have a week or so to spend in St.Lucia

We were here only 3 days and I wished I have just opted to relax and lay by the beautiful pool instead.

Overall, I think it is a wonderful place to stay for a few days, I would recommend it.

Reviewed March 8, 2011

My partner and I stayed at Ladera for four nights last month, after it being a dream destination for years, and had an incredible time there.

We stayed in Gros Piton Suite T for two nights and Hilltop Dream Suite XiV for two nights. That each room is highly individual is probably one of the properties greatest strengths and weaknesses. We stayed in two rooms and peeked in a handful of others and every one is completely different in layout than all the others. It's very difficult to know what it is you're booking on the hillside of St. Lucia from a not very descriptive website in NYC. I would really like it if Ladera would put a map of the property on their site, post pictures of all the rooms so you have something to choose from, and assist you with booking more when you contact them.

All of the rooms are connected to each other by stone party walls in a long string that runs along a hilltop ridge. On one side of the ridge/your open side of the room, is the great expanse of palm trees, pitons and ocean that you see in all the pictures, and on the other, the property's gardens, lobby (which, charmingly, is basically just a desk outside), spa, gym, sidewalks, 16km volcano crater, etc.

The rooms are not little bungalows. No room stands completely independent of the others. You have no 4th wall, tin roofs and no window glass or insulation of any kind. This means your room is not whisper quiet. You can hear staff and other guests talking. At times, they can probably hear you. But you also get all the amazing sounds of being outside! A couple of our nights were very stormy and windy; HUGE gusts of wind blew through the room all night and the sounds of wind, rain and frogs made for an utterly romantic, almost primal kind of sleep experience. Nights there were perhaps not the most tranquil, but certainly some of the most memorable. In a good way.

Room T was not terrible, like all the rooms there, it had its charms, but it must have one of the smallest plunge pools of all. The sitting area and bed area both seemed cramped up, yet the shower was huge, it had a long back porch (one of the only rooms that did, though I don't know why you'd ever actually use it as it faces the back of the property) and there was a really cool little padded platform I dubbed "the blue thing" out front of the room that seemed to hover out over the hill and ocean. Amazing to watch stars, storms and sunsets from. Still, when we walked in, it had the feeling of...oh, this is not exactly what I expected.

Hilltop Dream Suite XIV, although almost comically over the top, is hard to argue with. It is two floors, 2 king beds, 2 baths, beautiful living room, huge pool with swing, breakfast table, etc. It was like the MTV Cribs room. It's hard not to feel like a baller from the top of your second floor catwalk overlooking your own pool...and the whole ocean. The part where it's two king beds is somewhat awkward because I can't imagine staying at Ladera with friends, another couple or kids. It's very personal, private and couples oriented. It makes for the best splurge ever though! We were so happy we upgraded our room, while still maintaining a certain sense of nostalgia for our trusty old friend T.

Even though we ended up in one of the bigger rooms, I can definitely say that one could have a really exceptionally nice time in one of the Petit Piton suites. It is not necessary to spend as much money as possible to enjoy Ladera. The fact that you just can't tell WHICH room you're booking would be one of my only complaints. After looking in some other rooms, the difference between Petit/Gros Suites is near arbitrary. My suggestion, call, ask lots of questions and make a request for what you think is your favorite.

The restaurant made me a personalized four course, off menu vegan dinner every night and accommodated our requests for our favorite tables when we asked for them in the morning. The staff is very warm and sweet!

We took the free shuttle to both Anse Chastenet and Jalousie Plantation beaches during our stay. Both were fun trips to take. Our boat pilot to Anse Chastenet showed us a super cool bat cave on the way there and the rocks where diving birds roost. We also walked to the sulphur springs/volcano park which just happens to be right behind Ladera. The sulphur bath facilities are pretty rudimentary, nothing like a spa experience, but it was really fun and a beautiful, jungley walk.

On our way back, we stopped at Hotel Chocolat's restaurant Boucan for lunch. The restaurant had been open less than a week and the hotel itself was still VERY much under construction, so it was a little like having lunch in the coolest work zone ever, but totally fun and worth it! All the food was killer, more composed and fine than Ladera, the decor was super slick and chic -a palette of blonde woods, dark mocha painted steel beams and wooden louvers and stainless steel accent- and the views are of course, ridiculous. Ladera is the quirky country cousin to this place, an open air urban hipster pad plopped on a tropical hillside. Don't actually stay there though, Ladera has the advantage of having the single best location in St. Lucia. Hotel Chocolat is in Ladera's back yard and has a view of...the back of Ladera's rooms (See those little rooftops on the horizon? http://www.thehotelchocolat.com/) Great place to hang out though!

Overall, Ladera is a fantastic getaway and St. Lucia is my favorite Caribbean destination so far.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trrricky
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Stonefield Villa Resort
Stonefield Villa Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!