“Return trip”

Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We stayed in this hotel in 2005 (?) during a hurricane when it was a Hilton. At the time, it seemed to be a bit run down, but the location was amazing. We just had to make a return trip to see if the very increased cost per night was worth it. I can say without a doubt, it is worth every penny. If you want luxury with outstanding, friendly service, this is the best place to stay.

We personally can't make this a yearly trip and will have to pick other areas of the Caribbean, but for a special time this will be our go to location. The cute little houses, your private pool, and the wonderful food is a truly wonderful experience.

Room Tip: I can't think of any location at this hotel that you won't have the best few, accommodations...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pitt_twins
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Good day,

We would like to thank for your comments about your return visit to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort —called The Jalousie Plantation when you first stayed with us.

Thank you for highlighting all of the positive changes that have been made and the time and effort that have been invested in this resort to bring it up to the very high standard you enjoyed. We appreciate that you recognize the difference and took time out to share your thoughts.

We are pleased that your expectations were exceeded in all aspects.

Your comments and business are greatly appreciated. We are looking forward to your return visit soon.

André Boersma

Write a ReviewReviews (1,430)

996 - 1,002 of 1,430 reviews

Reviewed May 4, 2014

My wife and I honeymooned at Sugar Beach for five nights in April-May 2014, and our only regret is that we had to leave! I strongly recommend Sugar Beach to anyone looking for an indulgent and restorative honeymoon.

We stayed in a grand luxury villa (we were upgraded on arrival from a smaller villa). It was huge and easily could have accommodated a family of four -- but also was very private and perfect for a honeymoon. The villas seem to have been designed so that the porches generally do not look out at one another, which made us feel very secluded indoors and out even though there were other villas nearby. We loved the high ceilings that kept the villa amazingly cool, Victorian bath tub, multi-headed shower, comfortable bed, stocked mini-fridge, and walk-in closet. Even the mosquito netting on our bed was tastefully done. (Speaking of which, we used very little bug spray and generally did not find mosquitos to be an issue.) Best of all was the large deck featuring a two-level pool that is better described as a mini-pool than as a plunge pool based on its large size. (It looked like the beach bungalows had smaller outdoor tubs that might more accurately be described as plunge pools.) We never tired of waking up to the stunning view of the ocean through the palm trees and of both Pitons!

When we were able to tear ourselves away from our lovely villa, we thoroughly enjoyed lounging at the white sand beach and pool. We always found seating right away, and the red flags worked perfectly to get the staff's attention whenever we wanted food or drinks without having the staff constantly checking in on us. The tiki huts on the beach provided welcome shade during the hottest hours of the day. The beach is self-contained -- it is better to think of the location as a bay than as sprawling oceanfront -- but we never felt constrained by the small size, and the ambiance of the white sand, deep blue waters, and rising Pitons was spectacular. The simplicity of the very large pool is in keeping with the serene vibe of Sugar Beach.

We found the food to be delicious, whether dining beach/poolside, at the Bayside Restaurant, at the Great House, or in our suite. The fish in particular was great -- the coconut shrimp at the poolside and the seafood risotto at the Great House were the best we have ever had. We so enjoyed the overall dining experience at Sugar Beach that we canceled reservations at other notable, offsite restaurants. As you would expect at a resort like Sugar Beach, the food prices were not cheap, but they were not out of line with what we expected coming from a large US city. We ordered a la carte, and I cannot imagine the all-inclusive meal plans being cost-effective if you do not plan to have several drinks per day.

Our activities at Sugar Beach included the couples massage and sulfur seduction package at the Rainforest Spa; sunset cruise; kayak and snorkel trip; and Piton hike.
- The Rainforest Spa is designed like a giant network of treehouses that separates you from reality even more than just being at Sugar Beach itself does. The relaxing couples massage was the perfect way to start the honeymoon, and the back massages we received as part of the sulfur seduction package were particularly excellent.
- The sunset cruise was what you would expect -- with a crew eager to refill drinks and light snacks. Guests are picked up and dropped off from a dock at Sugar Beach and never get wet.
- The kayak and snorkel trip is a very fun use of two hours. Waterfront staff patiently guided us to a point on the shore of the Gros Piton where we beached our kayaks, and then led us on an hour-long snorkeling expedition, pointing out interesting sea life along the way. Having the staff kayaking and snorkeling alongside us was especially comforting to non-experts like my wife and me -- we definitely kayaked and snorkeled farther than we would have on our own.
- Summiting Gros Piton was quite an achievement -- and something I would never do again and would not recommend to a honeymooning couple! The descent, not the ascent, is the issue. I would liken it to a two-hour climb down a dried-up waterfall. The path is incredibly rocky, and my wife and I both had headaches and sore legs by the time we reached the base of the mountain because of the many jarring steps, notwithstanding that we are relatively young and fit. This isn't a criticism of Sugar Beach or our mountain guide -- it simply is a cautionary note that hiking Gros Piton is quite taxing -- at least to people, such as ourselves, who are not serious hikers.

In sum, I cannot imagine a better honeymoon experience than I had at Sugar Beach because of the combination of gorgeous location, fantastic facilities, fun excursions, and attentive staff.

4  Thank NYYankeesFan84

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your honeymoon stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay to the degree that you did not want to leave the resort. We feel proud and happy that we were able to create a magical experience for you. There is no doubt that this stay will remain memorable for all the right reasons. Our team will be satisfied with your comments and we will commend them for a job well done.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We are looking forward to your return visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

My husband and i have just returned after a weeks stay at Sugar Beach and have to say it's one of the best holidays we've had.We were upgraded to a villa and greeted by our friendly butler Willan,with complimentary coconut punch,which was my favourite drink all week! A separate kitchen provided us with complimentary water,beer and soft drinks, all of which were replaced when needed.There was also a coffee machine and kettle and a variety of teas.Little touches like that are appreciated.Breakfast was excellent and so much choice.Lunch on the beach was great and so were the hard working staff there.Everything was "no problem" to them to provide you with the best ever service.Sandi at the Bayside Restaurant and Natasha at the Great Room were wonderful,happy characters who always remembered our names.The one trip i would recommend is the chocolate making tour,especially if you love chocolate! At this resort you could do whatever pleased you.Relaxing,eating excellent food,day trips,sports and spa and all with top class service which i cannot fault.A hotel i will definitely be recommending and booking again.

Room Tip: Villas in the higher numbers had excellent views especially the 500's.Beach villas right on the...

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are so happy to hear that Sugar Beach provided one of the best holidays that you have ever experienced and that you appreciated the room upgrade and everything else we offered. We are delighted that we have created special memories of Sugar Beach to last a lifetime .
We would also like to thank you for recommending our resort and considering a return visit.
Your comments and business are greatly appreciated. We are looking forward to your return visit.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

My wife and I stayed for 8 nights. There are many positive things to say about Sugar Beach - location, quality of the food, butler service, friendly staff. We stayed in a Sugar Mill villa which meant we had easy access to the restaurants and beach area. I would certainly recommend this, or a beach villa, rather than having to rely on the shuttle service to get anywhere.
It was a wonderful place to stay in many ways but one thing that Sugar Beach is not, is tranquil (as stated on their web-site). We were perhaps unlucky to time our stay with a wedding party. They were raucous, playing loud music by the pool, playing American football on the beach and in the pool and generally paying no heed to other guests. This is not what we were expecting! Sadly no staff appeared to try and control the situation. Our last few days were spoilt because of this.
We did complain and received some compensation, but I would think twice about returning.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Emyr55

Good day,
I would like to apologize for the concerns that you have highlighted. I want to reassure you that what you have described is extremely rare at our resort.
With that being said, I am disappointed that we did not realize the group in house during your stay was causing such disruption and failed to take control of the situation and put an immediate stop to it. Once the issue was brought to our attention our team members acted quickly to bring the matter under control and restore peace.
Apart from this one concern, we trust that everything else was to your satisfaction and that you enjoyed your stay.
We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again and ensure a more tranquil Sugar Beach experience.
Your comments and business are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

This resort is spectacular! My husband and I enjoyed our private villa with a small pool. The villa amenities were spectacular and our butlers (Gregg, Swamed and Mosiah) were absolutely amazing! Their service and assistance was extremely exceptional! The resort is located uniquely inbetween the two beautiful pitons. Waking up every morning to these and watching every sunset with them was truly a memory I'll never forget. The activities (ziplining, hiking gros piton, sulphur springs, waterfalls, etc.) were so enjoyable! The resort offers so much activities for you to do. The rainforest spa was remarkable. All around the people were so nice, welcoming, always remember you and your name - service was outstanding! Food was delicious everywhere and BBQ was really a must! This really was paradise. We look forward to returning (like they said, hopefully as 3!)...It was also nice to see families at the property so we can enjoy in the future.

1  Thank Carolina R

Good day,
Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are delighted that our high quality amenities and services exceeded your expectations. Comments like yours are very encouraging and constantly remind us of the importance of delivering exceptional service to our guests and the special touches that create positive memories.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Sugar Beach is a terrible place and I would not recommend it to anyone. We stayed in a (very) expensive villa up in the hill. I asked the quietest available, but we were just in front of some noisy, smelly works, with lorries passing all day (see photos). The only solution proposed by the manager was changing us to a villa where a house was renovating the roof just in the back with a lot of noise! In fact there are works in progress everywhere...
The food is terrible and terribly expensive: a few examples: 53$ for a basket of fresh fruits! 45$ + 20% taxes and service for a (disgusting) dish of courgettes, cream with a lot of garlic and parmesan (we gave it to the numerous cats in the property and they seemed to appreciate it...), 10$ for a bottle of mineral water.
Also 80$ per person for a one hour visit to a nearby plantation (tickets excluded) just five minutes away from the hotel by car.
There are lots and lots of mosquitos everywhere, resistant to any repellent we had. In a minute you could have a hundred bites!
The beach is man-made and the sea has a dark uninviting colour and all the resort is scattered in the hills.
Terrible wifi as well. Impossible to watch a video in a tablet.
I can't say one single positive thing of this place...
It is a badly managed four stars with the pretension (and rates) of being a five stars.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
21  Thank Habari3
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Good day,
I have read your TripAdvisor review outlining your experience at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
Our aim is to provide our guests with the best possible service at all times, yet it appears that we fell short in many areas and for this, I am truly sorry.
I know we spoke on numerous occasions and had I known of your concerns, I would have done my utmost to have addressed them appropriately while you were here.
I would like to apologize for the issues that you have highlighted and the less than satisfactory experience that you have described.
It is unfortunate that your stay coincided with a period during which work on a new residence was taking place. We did offer you to move which would have afforded you an unobstructed ocean view across your pool, and would have also meant the work being carried out in the vicinity of your residence would have been much less obvious. You may have found this option more to your liking had you chosen to move.
We also specifically allocated accommodations to you where the WiFi connection is at its strongest, knowing this was particularly important to you. I am sorry that your expectations were not met in this area. Had you made us aware that you were having continuous issues with the WiFi, we would have investigated and done our utmost to rectify your concerns.
Your comments about the quality of the food and the prices charged are also well received, yet surprising. Again, had you made us aware of how you felt, I am confident our Executive Chef would have met with you and prepared dishes that were to your taste and satisfaction.
On behalf of the entire team, I would like to apologise for what clearly was a disappointing stay for you and thank you for your feedback and comments. It is only through such feedback that we can continue to improve the services and amenities we offer.
I do hope that you reconsider returning to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you at our best.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

The resort is just stunning. Just returned on 4/21 after spending 7 days. The resort is on par with some of the top resorts in the Caribbean. We stayed in a villa - huge room, extra room for the kids, large bathroom and a plunge pool. Room was stocked with water and drinks. Unlike other resorts during spring break, we never an issue getting lounge chairs at the beach or pool. It never seemed crowded. Best part for us was the kids club - well staffed, and were more than willing to babysit after hours for a date nights (we had 3). The butlers were very nice and helpful. Always aiming to please (just like the rest of the staff). We had the pleasure of Monte and Alex. They took care of our every need. They set up some great activities (climbing the Piton, trip to a waterfall and 2 incredible dinners). It took a little time getting used to the Tuktuk system, but it very efficient. We had only one negative incident during our tea time, but the manager came over right away and rectified the situation. I cannot recommend it more highly. Hoping to go back soon!!!!

Room Tip: I would confirm your view before arrival. In addition, we only did the breakfast program and not th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank JPS9633
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your family holiday at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are delighted to read that you had a close to perfect stay at our resort and everything that you experience was first class.
I am also very pleased to know that the challenge you encountered was quickly rectified to your satisfaction as we aim to deliver the best possible service to our guests at all times.
Once again, thank you for your wonderful comments and for considering a return visit to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort. We are ready to serve you again!

André Boersma

Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!