“Amazing Resort”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
New York
“Amazing Resort”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We just returned from a wonderful visit to Sugar Beach. We were there to attend a wedding. The resort is beautiful. It's a truly stunning property. Our luxury villa was awesome and very, very spacious. By far the best room I have had the pleasure of staying in on a resort. The property is very lush and tropical. The beach was nice. It's not the nicest beach I've been to (e.g. Aruba, Turks & Caicos, Negril, etc.). But, the water is crystal clear and we had a great time relaxing on the beach. The service at the resort was top notch. Everyone is super friendly and helpful. They go out of their way to ensure that you are having a good time....everyone from the butlers to the servers at the restaurants and on the beach. We had Swedish massages at the spa. It was fantastic!!! I highly recommend visiting the spa and treating yourself to a massage. I was not, however, impressed with the food at the resort. It was not horrible. It was just average, at best. The food that was served during the wedding reception, however, was GREAT. It was very delicious and the best meal I ate while visiting St. Lucia.

I would highly recommend this resort. It's lovely and quite luxurious. We certainly intend to return.

1 Thank hopeful74
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Good day,
Thank you commenting on your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
It is satisfying to know that we exceeded your expectations in every way, with the exception of our food and beverage offerings. You may wish to be aware that our Executive Chef Jacques Chretien is in the process of changing the menus across the property and accessing new suppliers to ensure the quality of the produce is always excellent.
We are happy to note that the dinner you had at the wedding reception was exceptional. Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

André Boersma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Studio City, CA
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in August of 2012 (not 2013), when it was called Jalousie Plantation, for our honeymoon and it was SPECTACULAR! I have never had such an romantic experience where everyone was so happy to help us in any way. Our personal Butler was the best. He made reservations, recommended day trips and brought soymilk to my room everyday for my coffee! We met Malcolm on the beach and he took us all over the island on his watertaxi. I have never experienced such 10 star service.

My only wish was that when we booked through our travel agent the resort was offering a special for all inclusive food that we decided to pass on (DOH). when we got the the resort, the food and drinks were really expensive. When we talked to the management they would not honor the discount we had been offered at the time of booking and we had to pay the full rate for all inclusive.

My advice to anyone is to purchase the all inclusive package, and if you are offered a discount TAKE IT!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 600s. Spectacular view of both pitons and the ocean.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mandrew1984
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at what was then The Jalousie Plantation.
We are happy to hear that you had a spectacular honeymoon and that you appreciated our butler service and everything else that we offered.
I am sorry that you felt our food and drinks were expensive. Even now as Sugar Beach, we try to accommodate every budget and to provide options to suit a wide range of guests. We strongly advise our guests to make sure the package they choose meets all of their needs prior to purchasing it. Sadly, items not included in the package booked will be charged at full price. Again, I am sorry if that information was not conveyed in a clear manner at the time you booked.
While our name has changed, rest assured we still offer the same high level of service and fabulous amenities. Would like to welcome you back to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort in the not too distant future to share with you firsthand the improvements that we have made. I am sure you will appreciate these enhancements.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This hotel is absolutely superb. Well done to Georg and the rest of the viceroy team for getting so much so right. Location, rooms , service , food , treatments ... It's got it all and then some more. Okay service can sometimes be slower , but you are on holiday , you do not need to rush, you need to relax , which is exactly what sugar beach is about. I can honestly say after 25 years of luxury travel this place is in my top 5. The luxury villa blew our minds , view , facilities , size and most of all a beautifully personal butler service , No gimmicks just someone who really wants to make your experience very special .I said I loved reggae , day 2 I get a personally made cd from a driver who is also a DJ , I say I prefer a certain wine , next day it is available for me , I want to go sea fishing at a certain time , no problem , they just get it so right. Food is excellent ( we preferred the great room ) , and a great experience mainly down the the professional service of the 2 French f&b managers angelique and julien. The spa had some of the best massages I have ever had ( hot stones+ location in a tree =magic ) . Well done viceroy , I am going to now check out your new New York hotel , with great expectation. If you are booking , you are lucky and making the absolute right decision , enjoy it!

Room Tip: Room503, it's the best in the resort
4 Thank Sliversis
Good day,
Thank you for your glowing comments about your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort..
We are very happy to read these positive and encouraging comments. Our team, especially the individuals highlighted, will appreciate your feedback.
We aim to provide our guests with a flawless experience by ensuring that the amenities, accommodation, facilities and service that we deliver to them meet the highest standards.
Once again, thank you for your review. We look forward to your return visit.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Beautiful resort and by far best location on the island. The grounds and views of the dual pitons are breathtaking from any location. The rooms were immaculate, a plantation vibe with local island art incorporated. The Piton beers in the fridge were refreshing and restocked as needed. Everyone at the resort was very friendly. The food was tasty at all places. Beach bbq night highly recommended. There was a great reggae band and a full moon, a night I will never forget. Great snorkeling right on the beach. We were impressed with the included availability and easy access to kayaks, paddle boards, canopies, etc. Great cocktail selections and wait staff on the beach as well. We visited during rain season but it was still beautiful. I cannot complain about this place because it is truly a great resort but I do have a few suggestions. I just wish there would have been more transport cars with rain protectors over them. A few nights it was pouring and by the time I returned to the room I was soaked and cold. I will say drivers Terry and Lester are the best, and did everything they could to keep us comfortable. The other suggestion is to have an onsite doctor. I had a scary run in with an allergic reaction to a bug bite on my eye. It began to swell very fast and we thought I could be having an anaphylactic reaction. We called our butler, he was very helpful and he found Benadryl for us immediately. However he explained the facility only had an "on-call" doctor, and it would take the doctor "some time" to arrive to the resort. I am a nurse and I knew the situation was not looking good. The resort is pretty secluded so this made me extremely nervous/panicked. Luckily the Benadryl helped and everything worked out. A recommendation to the traveler: Bring bug spray. Mosquitos are thick as to be expected in the pitons and the resort does try their best to keep them away. Still, bring bug spray. Enjoy the array of colorful birds (especially the hummingbirds) and flowers. The black birds are mean and will fly on your head sometimes near the beach so take caution!!! (it doesn't hurt, its just weird and gross) Overall we had a romantic, relaxing, beautiful honeymoon at a great resort!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank kelseyh519
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your honeymoon stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
Your positive comments are evidence of the high level of service that we offer to our guests. It brings us great pleasure to know that your honeymoon experience was exceptional despite the incident that you highlighted.
I am sorry to hear about the allergic reaction you suffered. I am pleased your butler was able to assist to some extent and that you were offered a visit from our on-call doctor. The doctor is always at our service and lives a few minutes away. In cases of severe allergic reactions, our security officers are trained to administer EpiPen, which will help treat and control the condition that you have described, until the doctor arrives. Majority of our managers and many line staff are also trained emergency responders.
In response to your comments about weatherproof shuttles, we do have a fleet of tuk-tuks with canvas coverings to keep our guests dry. Unfortunately, they were out for routine maintenance at the time of your stay. These vehicles are expected back on the road shortly.
Once again, thank you for your feedback, comments and recommendations. We are looking forward to your return visit in the not too distant future.

Harpenden
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We had a lovely relaxing week's holiday at the beautiful Sugar Beach resort at the end of October 2013. We stayed in a luxury grand villa (800s) at the top of the steep hill with glimpses of a sea view & views of the mountains. The inside of the villa was perfect although the outside decking needed a coat of paint & parts of the fencing needs replacing. We never had a problem getting transport to the other facilities. The majority of the staff were friendly & helpful, particularly Herman, and the personal approach by Julian, the Bayside Restaurant Manager & his assistant were appreciated. We ate mostly at the Bayside which we enjoyed very much, the beach bar & had a couple of meals at the Great Room - all good. Breakfast was excellent. We both enjoyed a massage at the Rainforest Spa and loved the snorkelling. We went on two trips to Soufriere (half day & market) organised through the butler & one organised by tour rep to see dolphins - all were very good. Loved the swimming in both the pool & the sea & relaxing on the sun beds on the beach. One highlight was helping to put tiny baby green sea turtles into the sea when the hatched on the beach. It's a shame there are no paths up to the villas as we would have liked to walk off our lovely meals! Overall the over-riding memories are of the amazing views of the pitons & the sea, the hot weather (breezes make it perfect), the friendly staff & the great food! A totally relaxing break! We will be back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Penny L
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are proud to know that you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay and that everything you engaged in exceeded your expectations. We will share your wonderful comments with the staff, especially those mentioned.
It is also great that you were able to witness the turtle hatchlings emerging from the sand. That is a special experience you are bound to remember for years to come.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business, and for considering a return visit in the not too distant future.

Westlake Village, California
Reviewed November 11, 2013

As others have said, the location and views really make Sugar Beach stand out from all of the other resorts. Both the villas and bungalows offer spectacular views and are quite luxurious. The staff was very professional and accommodating. There are plenty of things to do at the resort, but it is also a great place to just get away from everything and enjoy reading a good book with a glass of wine. You can't go wrong staying at this magnificent resort, which offers something for everyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy S
Good day,

We are pleased that we were able to share a wonderful experience with you and that you enjoyed a relaxing stay. Our team will be delighted with your praise.

Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We look forward to your return visit in the not too distant future.

Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have been to many of the islands in the Caribbean and have never been more impressed than when we arrived at Sugar Beach. We were there for 6 days for Honeymoon the first week of November. My husband and I were so amazed we literally started planning a trip back only a few hours after our arrival. There is something surreal about being nestled in the rainforest with views of mountains on either side of you and a cotton candy sunset in front of you.

The service- the people are friendly and genuinely love their island. Everyone from the butlers, the bartenders, the buggie drivers, the spa hosts were so gracious and informative. It seemed like everyone actually enjoyed their jobs and was always smiling.

The food- I might be obsessed with the goat cheese and fruit here. Everything is super fresh and simply delicious. We had most our dinners at the Bayside which had a good variety, we did not get bored. They also serve yummy sushi in the Cane Room bar. Nigel the bartender at the Cane Room bar was wonderful. We weren't on a meal plan but did book a deal with free breakfast everyday. After 6 days of drinking like fish and eating perhaps a little too much we ended up a few hundred dollars less than if we would of done the meal plan. I actually found the prices for food and drink pretty on par with what we are used to in South Florida, but some might find it expensive depending on where you are coming from. We did the beach BBQ at the Bayside on Friday night and it was worth the $90 per person, but you should come hungry. They had tons of fresh sushi, a carving station, a ceviche bar, tons of sides and salads. We only ate at the Great Room( the nicer restaurant ) once mostly because we enjoyed the views at the Bayside better . At the Great room I had homemade pasta with rock shrimp which tasted like lobster, it was fantastic.

Amenities/views- the views can't be beat. Sorry Jade Mountain and Sandals but I think Sugar Beach kicks your butt in this category. Hanging out at the pool and looking up to the petite piton is breathtaking. There are a lot of free water activates that are fun. They have kayaks, paddle boards, hobbie cats, and snorkeling. A lot of the other hotels actually have snorkeling trips to Sugar Beach so it was nice to be able to just walk out and be right there. The property is also scattered with hammocks and hanging beds perfect for just lounging around. We were told the resort was at 90 percent capacity but it never felt crowded. We had no problem getting chairs at the pool or the beach any of the days. There are a bunch of different fitness classes you can take like yoga and Zumba but we opted for laying around.

The room- we were upgraded to a villa upon our arrival. We stayed in 507 and it spacious with great views of both pitons and the water.We used our plunge pool almost every day and had coffee in the morning on our patio. There was a huge double headed shower in our room and a large tub.The bathroom area was almost as big as the actual bedroom. If you stay in a villa you will have to call a buggie or van to take you down to the beach and main resort but we never had to wait more than a minute or two.

The Gros Piton- We climbed that sucker and it was HARD! I'm warning you now if you attempt it bring more water than you think you will drink and prepare to suffer. I'm a long distance runner and do cross fit on a regular basis and still struggled. It took us 3 and 1/2 up and down.

The Rainforest spa- we had a couples massage the day after our Piton hike. It was very relaxing getting massages in little huts in the jungle. At the end you get to take a dip in a heated rock pool right outside the hut. I don't think it gets better for spa ambience.

Other things to know- bring your bug spray and sunscreen. The bugs aren't horrible but you will get bit if you don't spray yourself. We just got in the habit of spraying before we went to dinner. The sun is also very intense here. I wore SPF 70 every day and still ended up very tan. One night you must go watch the sunset from the sunset deck by the fitness center. We brought a bottle of prosecco up with us and got some great pictures.

Sugar Beach is the one place I've traveled to so far that I can not wait to go back. If you can't enjoy yourself here there might be something wrong.

Room Tip: The 500 villas have they best views.
3 Thank FL-Alyssa
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are pleased that your expectations were exceeded in all areas and that you had a wonderful time. We will share your glowing comments with the staff to let them know how much you enjoyed everything that we offered as well as the courtesies that were extended.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We would be delighted to welcome you back to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort soon.

André Boersma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!