“Heaven on earth”

Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here for our honeymoon and never wanted to leave - it really is a piece of heaven on earth.

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel at home. The staff our beyond perfect, the rooms are gorgeous and the hotel is stunning. There are really no bad words to be said.

As a fussy eater (veggie no fish) they let me change the menu daily so I could make my own meals and the chef even came to meet me to ask if there was anything more they could do. The staff have a knack of knowing exactly what you want/need and they couldn't do enough.

This really has to be the best hotel in the world - not one fault throughout our 10 day trip. We were meant to leave after 7 days and go to another hotel. Once to got to the other hotel and realized it was nowhere near as described we called the hotel who found us another room and we returned within 5 hours.

From honeymoon couple, to families this hotel caters for everyone. We were there for our honeymoon and even though the hotel was booked and full of kids there was no noise or disturbances as the hotel have activities for kids throughout the day allowing us to simply relax by the pool.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone!

2  Thank mzdwek
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your glowing feedback about your honeymoon at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are elated that you had a wonderful stay with us, full of treasured memories.
It gives me great pleasure that we were able to prepare a wide range of vegetarian dishes for you. We always create dishes to suit all of our guest needs and taste buds and it is gratifying when we read reviews such as yours.
The fact that Sugar Beach is spread out over one hundred acres means we can cater for a number of disparate groups. We have first-class facilities to accommodate families, honeymooners, and business travelers. Because our facilities for our younger guests are so well organized and accommodating, other guests without children will hardly notice their presence.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We look forward to your next visit, perhaps even for a first anniversary stay, and thank you for recommending our resort.

André Boersma

Write a ReviewReviews (1,383)

Reviewed December 26, 2012

This is one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed at. We stayed at Ladera for the first few nights and then arrived at Sugar Beach. We were looking forward to a quiet sleep in a room with 4 walls and some AC. We were not disappointed. The property is absolutely gorgeous. The pool is out of this world. This hotel sits on the best property in St Lucia by far. It is an extremely classy place - the staff, restaurants, bars, room all meet a very high standard. Lots of families and not as quiet and romantic as Ladera but highly recommend.

1  Thank VACATI0NG0D
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Good day,
Thank you for sharing your glowing feedback following your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I am gratified that you had the opportunity to experience s our resort and that you were really satisfied and pleased with everything.
Thank you for your wonderful comments and we are looking forward to your return visit.

General

Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I were married here, the resort is fantastic. the staff was spectatular. The beach was one of the best we saw, while traveling up the coast via water taxi. snorkeling was supurb. The one draw back is that the resort is so isolated, and there jsut didnt seem to be a lot to do. There was a small insident with a charge at the spa, which took some time and quite a bit of frustration to get resolved. Disappointed on buffet night - was not worth the $75 for the meal.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charity B

Good day,
Thank you for your comments about your wedding stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I am glad that you enjoyed our facilities, especially the beach area. It is puzzling that you think there is not much to do on the resort. We have a number of fitness classes, tours and excursions, motorized and non-motorized water sport activities for our guests to participate in. I am sorry that you felt otherwise.
Since your visit in February 2012, we have made major improvements in the selections offered at our Friday BBQ buffet. We would welcome the opportunity to share these improvements first hand should you decide to make a return visit to the resort, perhaps even for your up-coming first anniversary.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. Best wishes for your up-coming anniversary.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

In our opinion the best location in the WEST INDIES,best scenery ever ,gin clear sea excellent for snorkelling and diving,superb accommodation and food.Great staff in particular Bronny in the beach side restaurant.

Mary,T.D

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 6,770

Good day,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and compliments.

We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful holiday at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.. I will be sure to share your glowing comments with Bronny. She will be very happy to know she helped to make your stay with us memorable for all the right reasons.

Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We look forward welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

My Wife and I recently managed an eight day holiday at the Jalousie Plantation / Sugar Beach Resort.

We have holidayed many times in the Caribbean over the years, visiting St Lucia (Anse Chastanet the last time), Barbados (Cobblers Cove the last time) and Antigua.

This was the best of the properties we have visited in the Caribbean. We were upgraded to a beach bungalow with plunge pool that was right on the beach and also near the facilities and restaurants. The quality and space in our room was excellent.

The restaurants all served very good food - the Great Room was very busy around peak times so booking a time well in advance is a good idea if you want to eat there. In particular, the seafood served in the restaurants was of very high quality. The only area that really needs addressing is the service at breakfast in the beach-side restaurant. This was in contrast with the service at the rest of the property at other times and, unfortunately, was consistently an issue during our eight day stay.

The butler service works well and our assigned butler (Tyson) could not have been more helpful or welcoming.

The hotel gymnasium and classes are also of a very high standard. After too much regular long-haul travel and sitting in meetings, my back (and other body parts) was crying out for some exercise and stretching. Being skeptical of stretching / Pilates / Yoga, I was pleasantly surprised to find that after two 'Sunset Stretch' classes my back pain (which I had suffered for several months) disappeared. The class is also taken on a raised platform overlooking the sea at the top of the resort - the view is breathtaking.

This holiday was a surprise getaway for my Wife's 40th Birthday and we left our children with my parents while we were away. We think that the resort caters well for children too and so will be planning a family holiday here next Summer (we rarely visit the same place twice but it really was that good). I think having the family there will mean that we need a bigger property which are only found further up the hill, away from the beach and facilities which will not be as convenient - the shuttle system does appear to work well though).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank WelshCH

Good day,

Thank you for sharing your Sugar Beach holiday experience with us.

I am glad that we were able to upgrade you to one of our Luxury Beachfront Bungalows and that you were pleased and satisfied with these accommodations.

Our culinary team will be delighted with your comments about the food and service. I am glad that you enjoyed the dishes that were prepared. I will commend them for a job well done.

All our guests highly recommend Todd and Canice for their professional level of service in the gym and with the wide range of fitness classes we offer. I am pleased that you share the same sentiments.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful comments. We look forward to your return visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Just returned from a wonderful five days at Sugar Beach. I agree with all of the previous reviewers who have said that pictures do not do the place justice. We stayed in luxury villa 705 which had magnificent views of the water and the pitons. I absolutely loved the outdoor shower with views of the water. While the villas are very close to each other, they have done a great job of strategically trimming the trees to allow for views of the water while somehow maintaining a great deal of privacy. I could not see the outdoor space of either of the adjacent villas from ours and even driving around the resort you could see very little from the road. We enjoyed the very comfortable lounge chairs on the beach and I especially appreciated that they were shaded (if you wanted). Also really liked that it was so easy to go snorkeling right from the beach area. The new pool is attractive but has relatively few lounge chairs around it which didn't bother us so much we just ended up spending more time sitting by the beach or at our villa. The only time we left the property were for dinner twice and to hike the gros piton. The hike was a nice change from several days of sitting by the beach. It is definitely strenuous though covering 2000 vertical feet in 2 miles, much of it is pretty steep and the heat does not help. The views at the top are worth it. The spa was absolutely amazing and definitely a unique experience. Our only complaint (and why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5) was the relatively sparse food options and the quality of the food. The Great Room for dinner was pretty good. Bayside for lunch and dinner was just ok. Breakfast at Bayside was probably my most enjoyable meal. While the food wasn't bad, it wasn't particularly good either. We stayed at the Viceroy Anguilla last December and I felt the food was much better there and they had more options. We went to Ladera one night which was more or less on par with the Great Room. Another night we went to Hotel Chocolat which I felt was the best meal we had during our trip. Overall it was a great trip and we would definitely go back.

Good day,
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
Thank you for recognizing the time and effort we put in to ensure our resort is both beautiful and comfortable for our guests.
I am glad that you engaged in a number of activities that you enjoyed— congratulations on reaching the summit of Gros Piton. We know how challenging this climb can be!
I am also glad that you enjoyed the unique ambience of our Rainforest Spa.
I have noted your comments about the culinary offerings at Sugar Beach. We try our utmost to provide a range of dishes to suit every palate. I am sorry that although you thoroughly enjoyed breakfast, you found the dining options limited. I will share your comments with our culinary team with the aim of further improving menu selections for our guests.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We look forward to your return visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Wow, I don't like the Caribbean much but this place was fantastic. A reasonable direct flight from New York to St Lucia. Despite the fact that it seemed like a tiny airport I did see a 747 taxiing so it could not have been that small.

Then comes the difficult part... a 40 minute cab or van ride from hell. The first 20 minutes are not eventful but the second half sport a series of switchbacks and up and down undulations that made it quite difficult to not get motion sickness. I do not know if there is an easier way about the island. I did inquire about water taxis for the return transfer but apparently they don't ply the waters between the Pitons and the airport.

The hotel is set into the side of a steep hill which terminates at an amazing beach set between the two Pitons, large, elongated oval hills that rise hundreds of feet straight out of the water.

We stayed at the Sugar Mill rooms which were walking distance from the beach and the main dining areas. Some of the guests further up the hill ride the internal shuttle carts up and down the steep hills. I don't think there is a bad room in the place. The room had an front garden at the entry with a dipping pool, then it was a duplex to a suite with a desk area, a luxurious bathroom and a very comfortable four poster bed with a mosquito net. Then there was a large private balcony area where you can lounge on sun chairs and dine al fresco.

The resort also has noticeably fast wi-fi in all of the rooms and public areas, and there is an internal intercom/cell phone system for calling butlers and the shuttle cart.

Food was better than I expected for an inclusive island resort, but of course there are other excellent dining options nearby if you are willing to brave those roads outside the hotel.

We chose to stay in the resort as much as we could, part due to the roads but part due to the fact that the beach area is all that you needed for an extended weekend. The beach was never crowded and it was easy to find chairs at all times (note that the seating areas had these large, thatched round umbrellas posted on top of large, permanently set wooden logs. There is also a pool area and hammocks.

The beach itself is sheltered by the Pitons. It drops away rapidly from shore so when you snorkel you can see yourself floating high above a quickly dark and bottomless ocean. Nearer the sides of the Piton there is an amazing amount of sealife that you can just swim out amongst. There is also a dock for sunset cruises and fishing boats. Near the resort were the volcanic mud pools and the entrance to the Piton climbs but we chose to just enjoy the long weekend eating and lounging about the postcard perfect beach. I cannot recommend this place more highly for as secluded and romantic a weekend as possible.

Room Tip: They have rooms on the beach, in the middle of the plantation as well as up high on the cliffs. I t...