“Lovely but noisy”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Glasgow, Scotland
“Lovely but noisy”
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

We returned from Jalousie last week after staying from 4-15 Nov. This was our second visit to the resort, having been there in Nov 2011. We enjoyed our holiday very much and cannot understand the comments posted a few days ago regarding poor service - we encountered nothing but excellent service throughout the resort - the staff are extremely polite, refer to you by name and are totally professional. We arrived at the resort and were taken directly to Sugar Mill 2, a beautiful room with a fabulous balcony looking straight down to the sea. We were delighted with the room until the following morning when we heard lots of construction noise from both the new restaurant area being created underneath the Great Room and around the pool. After a couple of days we spoke with Lisa Jones in Guest Relations who very kindly organised a room change to a beach bungalow and a room credit for our inconvenience. The way our issues were handled was very professional and credit should go to resort management for a swift resolution. We enjoyed the rest of our stay in the beach bungalow very much. We had a small celebration whilst there and my husband arranged for champagne and canapés to be delivered to our room one evening - The Head Chef came along to explain what had been prepared - very thoughtful and extremely tasty! The food we had during our stay was excellent and I would recommend the Great Room for both excellent service and beautiful food although take a small torch if you struggle to read menus in subdued lighting! Despite our issues with the noise, we would happily return - it is a special place and we hope to be back sometime soon. Thank you for looking after us so well.

Stayed November 2012
2 Thank ScotTraveller15
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about you second visit to The Jalousie Plantation (soon to become Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort).
We are particularly pleased that you had a wonderful time and that you were well taken care of by our staff and management team.
I am sorry that at the time of your stay there was still work being carried out by the pool and on the ground floor of the Great House. These projects are now finished and I am very pleased that we were able to move you to quieter accommodations so you could continue to enjoy your vacation.
I will pass on your glowing comments to the team and commend them for positively impacting your stay.
Thank you for your comments and business. We look forward to your return visit in the not too distant future.

André Boersma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Polish first
West Sussex
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

I don't usually write reviews whilst on the location but having spent 4 days already I don't think it's going to be much different by Saturday when we leave.
Looking after a winter sun holiday we went for this resort after we saw some really good offer with BA sales. We arrived on Saturday afternoon and where we met our taxi we preordered to take us there for $75. I guess you can find cheaper option if looking around.
Once there we were driven straight to our room (sugar mill). Be aware these rooms have nothing to do with villas you may read in other reviews. They're nice, good size and close to the beach however the view is not amazing and there is an odd bath stuck in a room which would be better arranged as a living room.
There are still some building work but mostly planting and some drilling here and there. Swimming pool is awesome and finished.
The gym is great and recommend to walk there as a good warm up. Instructors there are great and we are going there pretty much every day.
Now for the massive let down in my opinion. Having been to quite a few of these nice places before I am absolutely amazed at the lack of consistent an decent service. I heard that's the way around here but I don't care. For a place with this price tag I want to see excellent service.
Another let down if you enjoy your wine/bubbly, the markup here is quite shocking. Stock up at the airport. In a way it's sad really because if these were more affordable more people would come down the bar for drinks before dinner. Instead people end up having a bottle of Perrier served in an ice bucket. How decadent!
All in all a very good place but I would probably not come back.
Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank feb0
Good day,
Thank you for sharing your comments and concerns with us.
I would like to apologize for the experiences that you have described. Our Luxury Sugar Mill Rooms feature the same décor and bathroom fixtures and fittings as our villas and are extremely popular with guests due to their proximity to the beach.
We are always very transparent with our direct booking guests, travel agents and tour operators about the location and views from all of our accommodations so that guests have all of the information they need to make a decision about the very best room category for them. I truly apologize if you were given misleading information and were not clear about the location or the garden views that are typical for a booking in what is our lead-in room category..
I would like to apologize for the inconsistencies in service standards that you have described. We continually review service delivery and embark on regular staff training to ensure the service our guests enjoy not only meets, but exceeds their expectations. Certainly, your comments about the service are not generally shared by previous reviewers who have posted on this site.
Although, we are sorry you felt you had cause for complaint, I am pleased that our guest relations manager was able to meet with you prior to your departure to discuss the issues you have raised. I understand that a satisfactory solution was found and that we were able to remedy your concerns to a certain extent.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business and we look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future so that we can share firsthand the improvements made in light of your concerns.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We just returned from a five night stay for our honeymoon. The resort is amazing. We were upgraded to a grand luxury villa and were greeted with a bottle of champagne and a fruit plate. Our butlers-Jason, Montgomery, and Sean couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. The sunset cruise is a must-do! We ate at the Bayside for breakfast, lunch and dinner most days and the food and service was wonderful! We hope to come back!

• Stayed November 2012
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your honeymoon at the Jalousie Plantation, Sugar Beach.

We are glad that you had a wonderful time and that the butlers you have mentioned were both helpful and friendly. I will pass on your compliments to them.

We are pleased that you were satisfied and enjoyed our food offerings. Our culinary team will be delighted to hear these wonderful comments.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to your return visit.

Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I can't give the Jalousie plantation 5 stars because although they aspire to greatness, little things let them down. The good points are the location which is breathtaking, the way the villas have been built sympathetically with the fall of the ground giving everyone an ocean and sunset view, the quality and layout of the villas which are really beautiful, the bed - which was probably the best bed we have ever slept in.
What let the hotel down was the quality of the food which was good, but not special and the service in the restaurants which was not up to the standard that the hotel was trying to espouse. Other reviewers have mentioned the construction that was ongoing, which I thought actually showed the owners commitment and ongoing investment in the property.
Probably the biggest disappointment for me was the fact that we were unable to walk anywhere on the property and were dependent on the shuttle service - no way is this sustainable or environmentally aware and given the location is something that needs to be looked at.
The service we received from our Butlers and the drivers of the shuttles was first rate (after the first 24 hours when it took up to an hour to call the shuttle) and also especially from Richard in the Spa who took us on the Sulphur Seduction and who was a real pleasure to be with.
So overall we enjoyed our holiday, but couldn't help comparing it with our experience at the Maradiva Villas in Mauritius, and Maradiva won by a considerable margin

2 Thank smileyjohn54
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and comments about your recent stay at Jalousie.
We are pleased that you enjoyed our accommodation and scenery.
I am sorry that you felt that our food offerings did not match your expectations or your palate. Had you made us aware of your concerns, I am certain that our executive chef would have prepared dishes more to your liking.
Thank you for recognizing the great work that we are doing enhancing the resort. You may wish to be aware that the work that was being done at the time of your stay is now complete. The changes have all been very well-received by guests.
I am also sorry that you found the topography of the resort took away from your full enjoyment of the property. We do offer our guests a twenty-four hour shuttle service and have tried hard to find modes of transport that are environmentally friendly. We have tried electric golf buggies and have also experimented with solar powered club cars in the past, but these have not proven to be robust enough to tackle the hills. Walking around the resort is still possible, but majority of our guests elect to use the shuttle service to get from the villas to other parts of the resort. I am glad that despite the blips that you have mentioned, you had a wonderful time. Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Bromsgrove, uk
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I am very disappointed that I have still had no response to the three emails that I have sent over the last week to the 'new' Sugar Beach enquiring about accommodation availability for late Jan 13' and to discuss plans to celebrate my husbands birthday.

As I had no response to my emails i have just telephoned the resort from the UK to enquire about availability and offers for the period.

I was extremely disappointed to hear that the resort had no availability for any Sugar Mill luxury or superior luxury rooms for this period when the website had clearly identified vacancies when I first emailed the hotel! The next available rate was 990 USD per night, room only.

I would greatly appreciate it if the hotel could kindly respond to my email enquiries as despite the lack of response we are still keen to visit the resort!

7 Thank Leesa2212
Good day,
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us.
We always treat and view guests’ emails as priority. As we discussed with you via messaging on TripAdvisor, we did not receive your emails as they were sent to the wrong address.
We provided you with the correct email address and were pleased to have received and actioned your requests.
I am sorry that you were disappointed that there was no availability for Luxury Sugar Mill Rooms for the period that you were looking to book. As our lead-in accommodations, these rooms are extremely popular and book up well in advance, particularly in high season.
I trust that we may be able to welcome you to Jalousie (soon to be renamed Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort) at some point in the future.

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My girlfriend and I were on a cruise and decided to spend the money and time to do a day at this resort along with a couple massage, all I can say is WOW. We will be going back, the SPA was out of this world, it was in a rainforest, in tree houses, so fabulous. This place is like something out of a fiction book....I would highly recomend it...we went snorkeling, did lunch here, and hung out on the fabulous beach. It isnt cheap, but its one of a kind.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank prouss134439
Good day,
Thank you for visiting our resort and making the time to provide feedback regarding your experience.
I am particularly glad that you had the opportunity to experience our beautiful Rainforest Spa and that you were pleased and satisfied with the services provided to you.
Once again, thank you for your wonderful comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon, perhaps as a resident guest next time.

Balitmore
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Spent 4 nights at Jalousie (Nov 6-10) and were sadly disappointed. We had spent 4 night at Ti Kaye, which is a very different type of resort but we had a more pleasant stay there and found it to have better and more friendly service. My expectation had been Ti Kaye would be remote and rustic and Jalousie would be elegant, luxurious and stunning. It met the stunning expectation.

First the positives:
- It is a truly stunning location at the base of Petite Piton, with an amazing view of Gros Piton.
- There is good snorkeling right off the beach, in a roped off area protected from boats.
- The food is high quality, including good bread & pastries at breakfast (something we didn’t find elsewhere in St Lucia).
- The rooms have high end details and appointments, including deep comfy beds and huge bathrooms.
- Water taxi’s available on the beach (outside vendors who do solicit guests on beach but fairly tactfully) and this is a great way to get up to the Anse La Reye Friday night fish fry. We went with Terry in his boat named “why knot” and had a great time.
- Rain umbrellas available in the room and very handily also at the restaurants. In November we did have some rains, but fairly quick showers.

Stuff that’s good and bad:
- Walk from Sugar Mill rooms down to the beach is short, though currently through a construction site.
- Beach is lovely white sand, but heard this is trucked in and not natural local sand, which seems odd to do.
- Nice thatched roof “umbrellas” on the beach if you want shade – and these are also dry in quick rain showers. Beach chairs look really cool, but are actually not very comfortable as many have deep indents that you kind of get stuck in and are heavy to move if you want to follow the shade.
- There is a lot of staff around. But quantity does seem to equal helpful.
- It’s very close to Gros Piton hike trail head (about 10-15 min drive) so easy ½ day outing from Jalousie, but the hotel books you an “excursion” to do this at US$85 per person +tax. Because of a double billing mistake (which they did promptly correct when asked), I learned this covers a $60 taxi and US$34 per person trail entrance fee. So a nice mark up for hotel for booking a cab. (We tipped our trail guide as well, so plan for this as well.)
- They very nicely delivered a bottle of Freixenet and fruit plate as a honeymoon welcome gift when we were in the plunge pool the evening we arrived, but in doing so room service locked us out of our room and I didn’t get a very gracious greeting when I showed up dripping wet at reception for a new key.

The issues we had:
- It’s currently a construction site. The pool is open (which we actually didn’t care about since the swimming off the beach is nice), but there was still significant work going on around the pool area that involved jack hammers, power sanders, nail guns and other noisy work and lots of construction crew. The construction noise can be heard clearly on the beach, in the Bayside restaurant and in the Sugar Mill rooms. Walking from Sugar Mill rooms to the beach or Bayside restaurant necessitates walking through the construction area. The workers are very nice and accommodating and tend to turn off the power tools as you pass, but you’re still walking through a construction site on your high-end vacation. We booked directly w/ the hotel and received no notification in advance (other than what I had seen on tripadvisor which suggested it would be completed Nov 1) about any construction activity or noise during our booked time.
- It’s came across to us as very regimented – feeling a little like Disney World with too many lawyers influencing the management (you’ll sign a lot of release forms). E.g. We arrived at beach restaurant at 2:31 and were told it closed at 2:30. We were told we need to snorkel in the roped off area not the open bay. We took out a kayak and were told we couldn’t snorkel or swim from the kayak. We wanted to night snorkel and they required we do it in a booked and staffed “outing” and then they didn’t have enough people to do it and canceled. (We asked if we could rent flashlights from them instead since we had our own other snorkel gear and were told no. So the next night we paid for the 3 spots so the 2 of us could go out. ) We called to ask if we could delay our 8 PM Great Room reservation to 8:30 and were told the only choices were 8 or 9:30 – so we showed up at 8 and had to wait 20 mins for a table. Each of these things alone is not a big deal, but they added up to a less than enjoyable experience and it was not what we expected from such a high-end hotel that markets itself as being service oriented.
- Bayside restaurant is full of staff, but getting service at breakfast can be a challenge. Seems that the tasks are highly sub-divided, so the guy who pours you juice doesn’t refill your coffee if you ask since that is someone else’s duty and the request tends to get lost in the shuffle.
- The Sugar Mill rooms do not have very good sound barriers. The room adjacent to ours had multiple early (before 7 AM) phone calls several mornings. The phone ringing could be heard clearly in our room (Sugar Mill #10).

Stuff to know:
- Great Room restaurant requires long pants and closed toe shoes for men
- Wine prices run from $15 range for most glasses and cheapest bottles are $50-60 range.
- It’s a steep curvy road into Jalousie from the main road (don’t expect to walk any of this) - with a fabulous little local restaurant (Martha’s Table) on the entrance road – worth a visit for authentic cuisine.
- Bug off: be sure to bring some.
- There’s a 10% service charge (plus an 8% tax) added on to your room rate (and most other activities and meals.) This covers tips at the resort. So no need to carry around cash unless you want to tip more than the standard amount.

Jalousie will certainly be a more enjoyable place to stay once the construction is finished, but I still think it won’t live up to the hype until they get their service model working. Hope others have a better experience than we did.

Room Tip: It looked like lower number Sugar Mill rooms (1-5?) might have better views. #10 did not have a vie...
9 Thank LCandBC
Good day,
Thank you for providing us with your feedback following your recent stay at The Jalousie Plantation, Sugar Beach.
Based on what you have described, it appears that you did not have the best possible experience at the resort and for that, I am truly sorry.
In reference to the work-taking place at the resort, you may be pleased to know that the work you describe is now finished. The main pool has been in use for a couple of weeks and the new path from the Great House to the beach is now finished as well. It appears that your stay coincided with a period where the level of noise was higher than usual as we were re-doing the paths and putting final touches to the pool project. I would like to take the opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience this caused. I am also sorry about the confusion with settling the time for your dinner reservation. We are continuing to review our service standards in that area to ensure that there isn’t a repeat of what you have described.
Some of the issues you describe as “regimented” are actually put in place for the safety of our guests. As you can imagine, our beach is very popular and at times, there can be a great deal of boat traffic. We have marked off an area for snorkeling (actually the boundaries of the National Marine Reserve) to prevent boats from entering the very best location for this activity and to keep our guests safe. Once again, thank you for your comments and business and we look forward to serving you again so we can share firsthand the changes and improvements that have taken place in light of your concerns.

André Boersma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!