“Wonderful honeymoon stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Falls Church, Virginia
“Wonderful honeymoon stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I spent 7 days at The Jalousie Plantation at the end of October 2012 for our honeymoon. We arrived early on our check-in day and had lunch at the Bayside while waiting. Once our 'room' was ready, a shuttle began taking us up the hillside and I soon realized that we would not be staying in the Sugar Mill room that we had booked. We arrived and Linus took us into our Superior Luxury Villa (#803). As he walked us through, neither of us could stop smiling. It was above and beyond what we expected. From the canopy bed, to the clawfoot tub and dual-stall shower, to the complimentary champagne, rum, fruiit, and fried plantains for our honeymoon, it was quite a welcome, indeed. We felt pampered and well-looked after during our entire stay. The beach, while short (like most St Lucia beaches), was beautiful and well maintained and of course the Pitons on either side really made the setting feel unique and exotic. There were no issues getting covered loungers and the beach employees always responded promptly if we put up our red flag for service (though admittedly it was off-season). There was pool construction while we were there and while noticeable, we never felt it was intrusive. We knew about this prior to our trip, and the pool is now finished and open, I believe. We both thought the food was wonderful...I think only one dessert fell short of expectations. Dinner menu items changed daily (for the most part) and though the breakfast menu didn't change, there was a wide variety of options. All of the employees we encountered were extremely friendly and always greeted us with a smile. Overall, it was a fantastic stay and we hope to return for an anniversary in the future.

3 Thank kevinjm88
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your honeymoon experience with us.
We are always pleased to hear great comments and to know that you were really pleased with the high level of service that we provided. We provide top-notch amenities, facilities and accommodation that we know will enhance our guests’ overall experience. I am particularly pleased that you valued the upgrade that was offered to you.
Regarding the food, I am glad that you enjoyed the food offerings with the exception of the dessert that you mentioned. Had you made us aware, I am confident that our executive chef would have prepared something to your satisfaction..
Once again, thank you for your comments and we would be delighted to welcome you back to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort for a future anniversary celebration.

André Boersma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had an amazing week-long stay in October. This resort is nestled in the perfect location between the pitons. The service is top notch from the Butlers, to the shuttle drivers and of course the restaurant staff. My only regret is that I didn't stay longer....

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank 333CMTraveler
Good day,
Thank you for providing us with your feedback regarding your stay at The Jalousie Plantation, Sugar Beach soon to rebrand as Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I am delighted to know that our location, services and staff positively impacted your vacation. I will pass on your glowing feedback to the team.
Once again, thank you for sharing your wonderful comments with us.

Lititz, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I spent 9 days at The Jalousie Plantation for our honeymoon in mid October 2012. We had spent a lot of time researching the perfect place for our special trip. Our options were limitless, but we know that we wanted a relaxing honeymoon where we did not have to do daily tours like in Europe, or change too many time zones and be fatigued like Hawaii or Asia. We wanted to relax, read a good book, enjoy fine food, and be treated very special, as we shared our first weeks together as husband and wife. This is what the Jalousie Plantation did!

The setting is breathtaking and romantic nestled between the volcanic pitons. From the beautiful sunsets to chirping of the jungle and crystal Caribbean Sea, the resort is set in paradise. We had the most wonderful honeymoon, and found the island to be unique from other Caribbean islands with the lush green beauty and friendliness of the locals. We stayed in a lovely villa that had an unimaginable view overlooking the bay. The staff was warm and would go out of their way to accommodate you.

Our butler Niasyn looked after us the most during our stay. He wanted to ensure we had the most wonderful experience and helped to arrange trips. The buggy drivers that stood out to us as always remembering our names and asking about our day were Charlie and Terry.

The food served at breakfast and lunch was good. We really enjoyed The Great Room for dinner, as it was a more upscale dining. The entrees were excellent, but it would have been nice to have more varieties, as the menu was changed nightly, but always had the same main choices: beef, steak, lamp, pork, chicken, fish. My recommendation would be to include more authentic Creole foods from the area.

It should be noted that sadly, this historic treasure is being rebranded soon to “Sugar Beach” (part of the Viceroy Group). We fear this will lose the plantation’s history and intimacy, as this was one reason we chose The Jalousie Plantation due to the history and culture that existed. It did not feel like another “chain resort”. We will always refer to this special place as The Jalousie!

We did have some problems on our stay. We were not informed of the pool undergoing renovations until my husband read a review one week prior to our honeymoon that it was under renovations. He called the resort, as we had chosen Jalousie over Anse Chastenet due to the fact that Jalousie had a pool. He expressed our concern, and they were kind enough to upgrade our room from Deluxe Sugar Mill to a villa. However, when we arrived at the resort, we were taken to a sugar mill room. This made for a not so good first impression of attention to detail, as it took a few hours before our butler was able to work everything out. He contacted the Head Butler, Effie, who was so sweet and helped to arrange everything. They were very apologetic.

The Rainforest Spa is beautiful and such a creative design. My husband and I were eager to try it out for this unique experience. We booked the Sulphur Seduction, Couples Massage, and facials. We were disappointed in that only on the third appointment were we escorted to the relaxation hut prior to our treatments (even though we had arrived plenty early for the previous two). For our last treatment, we had planned to relax in the relaxation hut after our facials, but were told that it was closed at 6 pm when our facials were complete, despite the fact that we knew the spa is open to 7 pm. We felt rushed out. It is these details that need to be taken into consideration when advertising as a 5 star resort.

We have promised one another that we will visit Saint Lucia again. We would love to one day return to The Jalousie if it continues to improve upon details and retain the history from which the plantation derived.

Room Tip: 500's have the best view!
3 Thank Kelly B
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Good Day,
On behalf of the entire team, I would like say how happy we are that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us, and thank you for providing us with your feedback.
I would like to take the opportunity to apologise that you were not informed that the main pool was closed at the time of your stay. We have been, and continue to be, very transparent with our direct booking guests and with travel agents and tour operators about the continuing enhancement works at the resort. I am sorry this was not communicated to you.
Luckily, work on the main pool is now completed and the pool is open and in use. It is disappointing that your promised upgrade did not materialize immediate, but I am glad that Efe was able to sort out the issue and secure a luxury villa for your stay.
Regarding the spa, I am delighted that you enjoyed your treatments however; it is a shame that you did not get to relax in the relaxation room prior to each treatment and that you felt rushed. We are continuing to review our service standards in that area to ensure that there isn’t a repeat of what you have described.
Once again, thank you for your comments and considering a return visit.

Lichfield England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

We just returned from just over a week at Jalousie Plantation, celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary . Some things irritated me, :- we were not told about the renovation work prior to visiting the Hotel, I happened to see comments on Trip Advisor .The work was taking place on the pool and on the Spa near to Sugar Mill room 7
- Sawing and hammering started at 9am and finished at 9.30pm
-another irritation was being charged $13 USD for a bottle of sparkling water, $7 for still water.
-cheapest bottle of wine $50 USD , steep.
However all this said we had a fantastic time, the staff are all brilliant, helpful, and friendly and efficient. The venue a world heritage site between the 2 Pitons is unbelievable.
You will notice I have scored 5 for everything because eventhough I was irritated at some things overall this was one of the best vacations I've ever had. St Lucia is a wonderful island.
A must go destination and a must go Hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Good day,
Thank you for visiting The Jalousie Plantation, Sugar Beach and sharing your feedback with us.
I am glad to know that you enjoyed the facilities, and that our friendly and efficient staff enhanced your holiday experience.
In reference to the work taking place at the resort, we have been, and continue to be, very transparent with our direct booking guests and with travel agents and tour operators about the continuing enhancement works at the resort. I am sorry if that information was not communicated to you. Work is finished on the main pool and this facility is now in use. The work taking place in the spa is nearing completion. Although the workmen strive to keep noise to a minimum, it appears that your stay coincided with a period where the level of noise was higher than usual and for that I am truly sorry.
We try to provide wine selections to suit every palate and budget but also have to factor in the cost of shipping these wines to St Lucia and also the taxes and duties we have to pay to bring them to the hotel. We continually review our list to ensure there is a broad and affordable selection.
Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to your next visit to share firsthand the improvements made you in light of your concerns.

Hermosa Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

This place is amazing. I can't imagine spending our honeymoon anywhere better.

The service was top-notch all over. The shuttle drivers knew our names, the service at the restaurants was extremely welcoming and, of course, our butlers were great, leaving us flowers and notes in our room. Everyone, from the staff at the gym to the bartenders in the Cane Bar, was extremely friendly.

Our room (villa 701) was wonderful and beautiful, with a living room, two bathrooms, the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in and two (!) plunge pools out on the large balcony with a view of the beach and the Pitons.

We loved all the activities the resort has to offer, from the very cool rainforest walk to snorkeling, kayaking/tubing, the Cane Bar, the spa, and of course what's probably the best beach in St. Lucia. They even had 2-3 organized events while we were there. You could spend a whole week there and not even need to leave the resort.

The food was good - not quite great - if a bit expensive. The Great Room was elegant, but we enjoyed the atmosphere and local menu at lunch at Bayside the most. Laying on the beach and ordering from our lounge chairs was great.

Our only complaints were the mosquitoes (I was fine but my wife got bitten quite a lot) and the expense of transportation off the resort. We enjoyed going to some of the other resorts, restaurants and seeing some of the tourist sites, but be prepared to spend $30 minimum just to leave the resort. Some of the other travelers on TripAdvisor found secret ways to get more for less $.

I would 100% recommend St. Lucia and Sugar Beach for a fantastic honeymoon. Guests from some of the other resorts came down for some of the activities and wished they had chosen Sugar Beach.

Room Tip: Don't be scared of getting a villa and taking the shuttles - we really enjoyed the trips through...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt A
Good day,
I am delighted that you were happy with your decision to honeymoon with us and that our team exceeded your expectations on all fronts.
The culinary team work hard to maintain a high level of consistency. I am happy that you enjoyed our food and beverage offerings in both restaurants.
With reference to the mosquitoes, the island’s tropical climate means that we have the perfect habitat for these pests. Jalousie does have a very comprehensive pest control programme in place, which involves fogging and spraying guest accommodations in the evening. However, some guests prove particularly attractive to these creatures and we always advise guests to carry repellant with them to prevent bites.
Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to your return visit.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Beautiful location, but the hotel is currently a construction site. Pool is closed to guests as there are 20+ men working on it. Same for other areas of hotel....Restaurant, spa, etc. construction everywhere. But I suppose it will be beautiful at some point. For now, it is very noisy and not so relaxing.

Think twice before booking. Otherwise, it's a beautiful spot.

Room Tip: Bungalows on the brach are very nice!
1 Thank May E
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Good day,
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at The Jalousie Plantation, Sugar Beach.
I am happy to note that you enjoyed our stunning World Heritage-listed location and see that we are trying to ensure that we have the amenities and accommodations to match such a world-class location.
Unfortunately, you vacationed with us at a time when our swimming pool was closed for remodeling and therefore not available for guest use. I truly apologize for the inconvenience caused. The work on the pool is now completed and it has been open and in use for a few days now drastically reducing the number of workmen in that area. In fact, the only work being done in the pool area is soft landscaping which does not produce any kind of disturbance to our guests and which will be finished in the coming days.
Our restaurants have and continue to operate as normal. We are putting the finishing touches to our new breakfast restaurant at the ground floor of the Great House and this new venue should be completed by the end of this month. The bulk of the work is now interior work and should have little or no impact on our guests.
In addition, the manicure and pedicure station is nearing completion and it is only soft work remaining to be completed in that section as well.
To give you a fresh perspective, we have uploaded some new photographs on the photo gallery, which were taken of the pool just a few days ago. Our guests are thoroughly enjoying its new design and contemporary feel. Once again, I would like to thank you for your comments and we look forward to serving you again to share firsthand the improvements made in light of your concerns.

New Jersey, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at the Jalouise (now Sugar Beach) this past August and we couldn't have made a better choice. The place was absolutely incredible, service superior and unbelievable views. We rented villa number 319 which overlooked the bay and gave us some beautiful sunsets. The food at the restaurants was delicious, although a bit pricey. We typically like to visit local restaurants for our meals but in this case, we ended up spending almost all our time at the resort. A suggestion would be to buy the meal plan, which will certainly save money in the long run.

The staff was extremely friendly, always smiling and going out of their way to make sure the guests were completely satisfied.

We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a villa with a view of the beach/bay.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GMan61
Good Day,
We are committed to making the holiday experience of our guests satisfying and outstanding by providing first class services and amenities. We are glad that you were pleased with all our services and offerings.
I will communicate your feedback to the entire team and commend them for a job well done.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon

André Boersma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!