“HA! the view is awesome”

Hummingbird Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
London, United Kingdom
“HA! the view is awesome”
Reviewed June 19, 2011

This place sucked all the motivation out of me; it was so relaxing all I wanted to do was swing between the deck chair, bar and pool. The Staff were lovely and friendly. Really though the best thing is the view. Breakfast looking up at the pitons is amazing. Being beach-front it's easy to go for a dip and the hotel has seats, though, the sand on these volcanic islands is not the whitest however the sea is still a spectacular blue.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Woodland Hills
Reviewed May 19, 2011

I stayed at The Hummingbird for 4 nights. It was empty this time of year. I saw one couple and one solo traveler so it was a little bit disappointing to be in a place that is so empty. The staff was very nice though. My room was next to the kitchen on the hallway. Loud noise coming from the kitchen. Shared bathroom with shower is on the hallway next to the kitchen. It was ok.
It was a rainy season so the water from the roof was leaking onto my bed. No screen were on the windows so mosquitoes will get into your room unless you close the shutter. Light is poor in the rooms. When I addressed my situation they moved me downstairs on the ground floor into a room that had no view nor window. If I wanted fresh air I had to open the doors than lizards and bugs came into my room and scared the hell out of me. This room was stuffy and smelly. They didn't credit back any amount giving me a less enjoyable less expensive room, although I never asked. But what a bummer.
I had an incident there which never happened with me before. Make sure you lock away all your valuable stuff and have your safe key with you 24/7

DO NOT GO in the rainy season, it's pouring down hard when it rains so you can't do much. I hiked and I did everything I wanted. I didn't care much about the mother nature. Food is pretty expensive and tasty at the restaurant. They charge 6$ for one big water bottle I think it's 1,5 liter. You want to go to town to buy your water unless you don't care about the price. The view from the restaurant and bar is amazing. Beautiful view of the Piton. The only reason I choose this place to stay. Nothing to see in town, it's dirty and smoggy as cars and vans pass by. Almost everyone smokes marijuana since people can plant their own marijuana field anywhere they want on the island. They don't have to own a land to do so.
The beach is dirty in front of the resort not suitable for swimming. You have to take a water taxi to another beach if you want to swim or snorkel. Everything is very expensive on the island by the way.
My stay at this place wasn't what I was expected but I stayed positive and tried to enjoy my vacation as much as possible. It takes a lot for me to leave a negative comment.

If you go when it isn't rainy season and you watch out I mentioned above and get a nice room then you will enjoy your stay at Hummingbird. I'm sure in the tourist season it's a totally different experience.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank BBrigitta
St. John's, Antigua
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We travelled independently, spending 6 nights at Sandals La toc (in the north) followed by 5 nights at the Hummingbird in Soufrieire.
Having lived and worked in St Lucia for a few years in the early 1980's, and not having returned until now, we were shocked at some of the development in the north including American style shopping malls around Rodney bay. But Soufriere seems to have changed little over the years and we found the Hummingbird to be a very freindly, locally owned and run hotel with a traditionally St Lucian feel.
We ate several meals at the Hummingbird and thought the food was good and reasonably priced compared to other larger hotels. Lot's of local fish dishes on the menu (as well as chicken and other meats) served with mainly local vegitables and fruits. Drinks are not cheap but less expensive than nearby larger hotels.
Excellent views of Petit Piton and Soufriere bay from our room and from the rather nice pool area.
We took a superior room, which was quite basically furnished but adequate, with en suite, a large ceiling fan and very large comfortable double bed with comprehensive mosquito netting. It's likely you will get a few bites though.
Very enjoyable local band one night with everyone encouraged to get up and dance to local rhythms.
Dived twice with the small Padi dive centre run by Chester, located on beach at foot of hotel grounds. Good well maintained equipment, reasonably priced and enjoyable diving, although not as "strictly supervised" as I've been used to elsewhere.
We had hired a car which made it easy to visit some of the nearby attractions, beaches and restaurants. There are some first class restaurants, resorts and attractions in the area, but mostly very pricy. The Dasheen restaurant (10 minute drive) has magnificent views and first class cuisine by international standards, but expect to pay over 100 US Dollars per person for dinner (or a lot more if you splash out on some reasonable wine !).

Room Tip: Freindly with traditional feel and excellent views
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank malcosmith
Seattle
Reviewed March 1, 2011

The room was old, including the bed and bathroom linens. Noise from the laundry room below and the restaurant and pool were annoying. The service was minimum. We had to hunt down someone in the morning to get coffee. We sat at the pool, which was next to the restaurant and not busy, and never was approached for an offer of a beverage. The food was not good. We'd suggest you pay a bit more and stay at Jalousie Plantation....that was a fabulous experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SeattleHoneymooner
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I'll share our experience in point form rather than a narrative as sometimes it's easier to get information across, well for me anyway...

- We arrived by water taxi from Rodney Bay so our first view of the resort was from the water.
- Beach was rocky and dark with a few bits of litter. Locals will solicit you for anything you're willing to give them. Water was clear and warm.
- Beach and resort are separated by a chain link fence and a single access door.
- Various yachts are moored on the water in front of the beach.
- Welcomed by staff upon arrival (Gemmie) and taken into front office to settle up the bill prior to being escorted to our rooms. Professional and pleasant check in.
- Not a traditional "front desk".
- We booked the Standard piton view room and the Standard non piton view room as we had our 2 kids with us. They would not allow the 2 adults and 2 to share one room.
- The two rooms are directly across from each other and are separated by a hallway corridor that can be accessed from the outside which the staff locks up around bedtime and also can be accessed from the main dining room through a set of swing doors.
- The bathroom is just down the corridor just before going through the swing doors and is kept clean and tidy. We had no issues with hot water or pressure.
- The Standard non piton view room can get loud as it is situated right next to the kitchen of the restaurant so you'll frequently hear pots and pans banging and staff talking. It is situated at ground level.
- The Standard piton view room has a scenic view of Petit Piton and is higher off the ground.
- Both view and non view rooms have safes ($100 deposit for the key, non combination), TV's, ceiling fans and mosquito netting. There are no phones or refrigerators in the rooms. Wifi is not available in the rooms but can be accessed at the bar.
- Windows are the swing shutter type with no screens. There is an authentic tropical flare to the whole decor. Housekeepers are thorough and do a fine job but will keep tabs on your departure day to remind you of their expected gratuity.
- The pool is not huge but the water is clean and warm. There are sitting tables and chairs as well as loungers surrounding the pool and you can enjoy lunch and/or drinks poolside.
- The restaurant has a good selection of foods to choose from and will modify various items to your liking. We had our 2 fussy eaters with us and they always found something they liked. The bar was also a nice place to chill. Big TV over the bar. Also Cuban cigars available. The place was packed for Superbowl Sunday from other resort guests on the island. Ask Mertin about the Local Viagara.
- Traditional taxi's and water taxi's to attractions, restaurants and beaches can be arranged through the front office. Normally the fare isn't given to the driver (other than a tip) but it's added to your hotel bill which can be settled up anytime. Lawrence and Kester were decent drivers.
- As mentioned earlier, we came from Rodney Bay which has it's Haagen Daz, coffee shop, full grocery store, Subway, Dominos and Burger King plus countless other restaurants representing most genres of eating. Soufriere however is the real deal. There is nothing like this here and poverty is prevalent.
- Caution...the three bank machines in town would not except my bank card. Other guests we spoke to had no problem so make sure before running out of money. I had to take a taxi to Vieux Fort ($70 US) to go to the Scotia Bank where there was no issue.
- Be careful when asking directions in town as the person whom you asked might want something in return simply for pointing you in the right direction.
- There is a grocery store in town which has basic items to supplement your eating out all the time. I'm sorry but I can't remember the name.
- We visited the Sulphur Springs which was nothing special other than seeing water boil from the ground and smelling stinkdom. The history of the springs and area is very interesting though. There are again peddlers selling their wares upon entrance where the guides are waiting to take you on your tour. The mud bath is extremely hot and is not suitable for children. It took me the better part of 10 minutes inching my way up to my neck. Another "helper" as you get out of the bath will also await his tip.
- Beaches to visit in the area? We had Lawrence drive us to Anse Chastanet beach North of the Hummingbird. Black sand and rocky along the waterline. If you're not a guest at the resort and want to rent a beach chair, you will be segregated to the left of the bar. There are scuba and snorkel equipment to rent if desired. The beach isn't very long but very beautiful.
- To the South of the Hummingbird is Jalousie Beach. Joel and his water taxi took us there. Stuck right between Gros and Petit Piton, this white sand beach is a gem. The water is clear and warm and there is a designated area buoyed off for snorkelers. Plenty to see in the water.
- We didn't get to all towns on the island and were only in Rodney Bay Village and Soufriere. The two areas are very different in many ways and the only similarity was the friendliness of the people. We brought back some good memories.
- I hope this helps.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
12 Thank patsashl
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2011

After having enjoyed several all-inclusive vacations, my fiancé and I - through circumstance - decided to try a budget holiday in an exotic location. We think that we made a great choice in St. Lucia (generally) and the Hummingbird Beach Resort (specifically).

The "up-scale" rooms were either not in our budget or unavailable, so we booked into one of the "Standard Piton View" rooms. These rooms are geared, I think, more towards a younger, backpacking oriented traveller - which was what we were anticipating. No a/c, a shared bathroom (with one other unit) and no screens on the windows! They could be shuttered, however. Don't let this description deter you, though. The room was charming! The bed, while not the best, was still comfortable as to provide a good sleep. There's an old tv, with lots of channels and a room safe. A large ceiling fan does a fine job. And, for whatever amenities one feels that they might be missing, that perception is lost once you experience the beautiful Caribbean breezes (no need for a/c...really!), the night sounds of the tree frogs and, in the morning, the sounds of the fishermen, returning to the nearby village. Just stunning! Very romantic, no matter your age! For the record, there are rooms to suit anyone's budget. This was the one we chose.

The staff at the Hummingbird, beginning with the owner - Joan Alexander-Stowe - are attentive, friendly and very professional. Our room was cleaned and freshly prepared every day. We enjoyed our most wonderful dinner, in Soufriere, at the resort's gourmet restaurant. We had a world-class view with service to match.

There's a nice, albeit small, pool that's well maintained. This is situated about 30 yards above the beach, though! You can hear the gentle surf from your room. We've never had a room that close the ocean in our all-inclusive experiences. Very nice swimming. Not much for snorkelling, though. We found a great beach, within hiking distance, at Anse Chastenet & Anse Mamin. Check those out.

Free wifi is available, but the signal only extends to the bar area! I found this to be very acceptable!

The only recommendations I would make is that, if you book into one of these rooms, bring a face cloth! They don't provide them. I don't know why not. Oh...use the mosquito netting! They won't swarm you, but, if you're prone to getting bitten, the little buggers will get you!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank letterdude
Basking Ridge, NJ
Reviewed January 13, 2011

Our original trip was scuttled by the post-Christmas blizzard of 2010. The resort graciously gave us a credit for unused nights and we spent a single night at The Hummingbird Resort following at stay at the hallowed Anse Chastanet.

The good news: Your view of the Pitons will be the same, if not better, than the view from Anse Chastanet. Anse Chastanet does not have a pool and the Hummingbird does. The Hummingbird scuba operator was very professional and did a good job at half the price of the more upscale resort hotels. A marine reserve is right off the beach and it is an easy, attractive place to snorkel. The restaurant is very charming and the food was good.

The bad news: If you are used to 4.5/5 star resorts, the Hummingbird will feel "sketchy". There is a chain link fence separating it from the beach, which has a dock is mainly used by local boats. To walk into town from the resort, you will pass a graveyard which is alongside the sea. I mean no disrespect to the departed but a 5 star hotel would not be next to an eternal resting place. These items are visible on google earth so you should consult it in order to know what to expect.

We stayed in the cottage because we were five people in total. This was a small walk across the street from the main resort and it felt like a 1970's beach bungalow with a bathroom to match. If I could do it again, I'd stay in the resorts poolside rooms because they looked cute and more central.

Soufriere is a charming and colorful town that is less touristy than some of its counterparts in the Caribbean If you are adventurous and would rather explore the island then be ensconced in a resort, the Hummingbird could be a good fit.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank softadventure
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,238 reviews

Been to Hummingbird Beach Resort? Share your experiences!