“I'm sending Mom! It was that great.”
Review of Anse Chastanet

Anse Chastanet
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles
“I'm sending Mom! It was that great.”
Reviewed August 6, 2006

This summer we had to get away. It was my birthday and I wanted something special. You would think that being from LA we’d get enough surf and sun, but St. Lucia is another world. To actually be able to look down and see the sea floor- even when you’re treading water! (That doesn’t happen in Santa Monica bay.) The sea was warm as a heated pool and calm like lake water. The resort may not have a pool, but with water like this, I wouldn’t have been in a pool anyway.
The soft sand and courteous service made us not want to leave our lounge chairs. There’s a beach attendant that sweeps up and down taking orders for drinks and snacks. He brought me back what in LA is a $12 cheeseburger and a Malibu rum and Coke. Now that’s a snack! Of course the food at mealtime is beyond description. The Tree House restaurant outshined any restaurant on Melrose.
Our room was great. We were in a Hillside Deluxe overlooking the sea. Afternoons between the beach time and dinner, I loved to sit o the verandah with a glass of wine and a book. I had the lush greenery right out the window and the blue sea out beyond. Occasionally a yacht or catamaran would go by for a little added interest. I was so glad there were no TV’s around so we weren’t tempted to turn it on: what was out the window was much more enthralling.
Definitely visit the spa. I had a hot stone massage tat melted me. Granted a few days at Anse Chastanet will distress you all by itself, but a little extra pampering is worth it. I was speaking with a British woman who was staying for two weeks. She had a massage scheduled for every morning at 11. She preferred the outdoor jungle treatment room; I forget what exactly they call it. I didn’t get a chance to partake in the outdoor spa, but it sounded like an amazing experience.
As if this glowing rambling isn’t enough- I loved my stay so much that I’m sending Mom. She’s having a milestone birthday later this year, so I’m sending her and her sister for a week all-inclusive. They need the pampering. Besides, my aunt is a diver, and I was told by the diving guests: there’s no other place in the world like St. Lucia for diving, especially right off Anse’s beach. I’ll have to have them repost when they get back.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Tips/Secrets — Take the early morning Yoga class before breakfast- then there's no guilt when eating!
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank SouthPasToNoHo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Montreal
Reviewed August 5, 2006

Let me begin by saying that Anse Chastenet is a beautiful resort. Prior to our trip we were warned that the resort puts the emphasis on relaxation. For this reason there are no T.Vs, radios, loud music. Instead the focus is on yoga, snorkelling, scuba diving, reading (they have a library) and just plain relaxing in a hamoc. We loved that aspect!

The only problem I saw with this resort was the theft problem. It seems that room keys are often "misplaced" in the resort as well as in the mountain villas. Although we were not robbed, some people we met were. We felt so bad for them.

Most alarming, was the response from the resort managers. They act as if it is the first time that theft has taken place in their resort. After reading the other reviews from tripadvisor members, I see that robberies have taken place before and since. They need to increase security on the resort. There is something "fishy" going on.

On another note, the food was great. They offered vegetarian options (yipee for me). Our room was beautiful. The yoga classes were fantastic. They are held on the beach and every week there is a new instructor. During our stay the instructor was from Montreal, Canada. She gave fantastic classes. She even spoke 3 languages so she was able to accomodate all of the guests. I was very impressed. Sometimes resorts claim to have fitness instructors but then you learn that it is the pool boy giving a "fitness" class on his day off. Not in this case. This instructor was a qualified yoga instructor with a pleasant and warm smile.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay. Just beware of theft. As with any vacation, leave your valuables at home. Only take what is truly necessary.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank roadgirl
Georgia mountains, USA
Reviewed August 1, 2006

We were burglarized by someone with a key to our place, and unable to use a good portion of our trip vouchers at this resort (see below).

Evidently the resort was full for a wedding, so the woman half of the married couple who own this place asked (via email, before we arrived) if we would be willing to stay off-site in a nearby independent rental villa contracted by Anse Chastanet. The villa was constructed of heavy louvered walls; because it is so hot there, these louvres must remain open. We were not informed that a local man/groundskeeper was staying in the basement of the other villa on the property, and that he would sit in the dark outside after we and the other villa's guests were there. One night as we and the occupants of the other villa were down at the resort having dinner, both villas were robbed by someone with a key. The other folks even lost their shoes and articles of clothing. After discovering the robbery, we called Anse Chastanet and the police were called out. However, no one from the resort came to speak to us until we went back the next day to the resort.

Because we were dealing with the police, we did not get to use some of the trip vouchers we had paid for in advance, because all the trips leave at 8 AM. Be aware of this when purchasing their trip vouchers in advance, because they do not tell you of the trip times before buying. We also wound up unable to use our biking voucher, because the Australian director at the sports shop told my husband the bike trip could be taken at any time on your own; however, when we went to take the bike ride we were told that was not the case, it had to be taken in the morning as well. It was our last day so we missed out and felt cheated that we had purchased several trip vouchers we could not use.

I wish I had paid attention to other reviews that complained about weddings at this resort. There was a wedding party while we were there, and one whole day we could not get beach service and were told it was because the staff was getting ready for the wedding. The next day we were told that the wedding party had drunk most of the available alcohol and that there was a shortage; I do not know if that was true or not but there was a definite change in service level.

The other couple who got robbed - Anse Chastanet also got their travel dates wrong and the last night of their stay, their was NO accomodation for them! Because we had befriended them, we invited them to stay with us.

The road up to the villa, and to the resort, is harrowing. Believe everything you read about that. I live in the Appalachians on the very top of a mountain myself, gravel road. I am also a lifetime backpacker and marathoner, not a wimp. This road was frightening, especially in the rain, as it did. One night, trying to get to the resort for dinner, water over the road had swelled so deep that we could feel it under the floorboards. A staff member in the jeep right behind us spoke to us in the parking lot and said that recently a guest jeep had been swept over and into the jungle. I couldn't make this up if I tried. I don't think people should just be left to drive jeeps around on this road themselves. It's truly like something out of a nightmare, where you fear the vehicle is going to tip over backwards on the one lane track. I wouldn't even call it a road. Deer path.

On the road from the villa to Anse Chastanet were laborers who we were told were working on Anse Chastanet's new expansion. As we would drive by, some workers would glare at us and I saw men on occasion relieving themselves on the side of the road, which I wouldn't have minded except that they did not turn their backs to the road. They would just face you and do it.

When the other couple who got robbed went into town to the police station to make a formal statement, they had to wake up the police who live in the station. The station was full of empty beer bottles, there was a rusty machete on the floor, and the policeman actually fell asleep while they were giving their statement and they had to wake him up!

The owner who placed us in this villa never came to speak to us at all about this. On the day of our departure, the woman who is married to the head of security asked me if I was sad to be leaving. When I said no, she loudly said in the buffet line, "How DARE you say that?!" I told her, "because I've been robbed here". If I could have gotten a flight off the night of the burglary, I would have.

I would post photos for you, but my camera was stolen along with other items. The resort did reimburse us, which was good. But I would NEVER, EVER stay here again. Not only were we robbed, our sense of security violated, but I also feel they did not do a good job of guest relations. As a former contracts person for a large resort myself, at the very least someone should have spoken to us that night, and the person who gave us that accomodation should have spoken to us personally. What does that cost for goodwill? Nothing.

• Liked — scenery and views, great food
  • Disliked — getting burglarized, not being told before buying that all trip vouchers are for trips at 8 AM, the way staff treated us differently after being robbed
  • Tips/Secrets — Yes. Hawaii was much better, safer and has a real spirit of Aloha. Go there.
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled as a couple
12 Thank CelesteD
Reviewed July 24, 2006

The week of June 5, 2006 my daughter held her wedding at Anse Chastanet, St Lucia.
I questioned no air conditioning, no TV, No phone, Lots, Lots of steps and little entertainment. Well what a pleasant surprise! The resort is absolutely fantastic. Rustic in its own way, but island living at it's best,
The food was tasty and a lot of it! We ate in both resturants and so enjoyed buffet as well as super service. I used a shuttle because of my asthma, so the steps were no problem. The Beach was really nice - Large enough for the number of guests and it offered snorkling right there! Beautiful reefs.
The tour of the old plantation was very interesting and worth the time. If you ride a bike...the Jungle Biking is super and "Tinkers Trail" is an unbeatable challenge.
My daughter's Wedding was held in the TeaHouse and was beautiful. She could not have asked for a more touching ceramony. The cake was Island Lime and yummy. Of course the sunset cruise with the wedding guests was enjoyed by all (even those who had alittle bit of motion sickness). The photographer was top notch and the pictures are the best.
Anse Chastanet is not a place for children, 18 and under would be bored. So leave the kids at home. Bring mosquito repellent wipes and enjoy the seranade of the tree frogs at night. This is really a place to enjoy each other!

Stayed June 2006
6 Thank trueladyiam
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 20, 2006

We just returned on July 15th from Anse Chastanet, and really enjoyed our stay there. What impressed my the most about this place was how the owner/employees paid attention to every detail. In our room, everything from the room's layout to the tissue box were carefully selected.

Also, there is such a wide variety of activities available. It is especially wonderful for nature-lovers, because there are many hikes and walks that can be done. We enjoyed a hike through the rainforest. On each of the activities we did, the guides were very informative, and we learned so much about the people and the nature on the island.

The only drawback to this hotel is the lack of A/C. On weather.com it said the high in St. Lucia was 86 and the low was 80 degrees F. That's hot for the evenings. If we go back, we would go in the winter. We appreciate the need to be in harmony with nature, but you have to draw a line somewhere.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mintchip
Manhattan
Reviewed July 16, 2006

I just got back from a 7-day stay at Anse Chastanet with my boyfriend and another couple. It was wonderful! At first, we had made reservations at Ladera but had to cancel since another couple could no longer make the trip -- we had to downgrade from a 6-person villa to two regular rooms. We ended up booking at Anse Chastanet and decided to have lunch at Ladera to see what could have been. Ladera seemed like a really nice hotel but it was a little too quiet for us and it was not near a beach! So we were really glad that we chose to stay at Anse Chastanet instead.

We had a superior hillside room (1B) and had a view of Petit Piton and the ocean. It was not too far from the restaurant. I had a lot of trouble sleeping the first 2-3 nights because of the tree frogs but got used to it after some time. The ceiling fan didn't really help cool us off when we were in the mosquito net, but the extra fan helped a lot. The other couple we came with stayed at an ocean villa. It was very spacious but there's no view of the ocean. They also didn't have window screens!

There's no pool. I am a pool person but didn't miss the pool at all while I was there. There were so many things to do and the ocean water was so nice and clear. I wish we could have stayed longer as I didn't have enough time to relax and do nothing! We did the jungle biking and really enjoyed it. I did a few dives and really liked the superman flight. I wish I had a chance to try the wreck dive but we hiked Gros Piton instead. It was a really strenuous hike. It took us 2 hours to get to the top and 2 hours to come down. It was very slippery since it had rained the night before. There were lots of rocks and tree roots on the natural trail. My friend also got a rash of some sort from the hike. Good thing we did the hike on our last full day because I was very sore from it and could barely walk! There were beautiful views from the top and even though it was a lot of work, I would recommend it. However, my favorite activity was when we hired Moby Dick (water taxi) for a full day. We went to Jalousie for some snorkeling, Castries for shopping, Marigot Bay for lunch, Anse Cochon for more snorkeling and back to Anse Chastanet.

The beach was nice. The black sand was hot but it was tolerable. There were always huts available for hotel guests and the beach was never too crowded. The beach and beach bar food/beverage service was a little too slow for me though. Sometimes it took about 15 minutes after I put my flag up to get my order taken.

I was scared that the stairs would be very tiring but it wasn't bad at all. It was actually a nice, short exercise.

I preferred dining at the hillside restaurant more than the beach restaurant. I felt that the mosquitoes attacked me more at the beach restaurant. I also don't like spicy foods all that much. I read that the treetop seating was the best so one night, we asked for treetop seating. It was very romantic setting but there were lots of moths flying around as the only lights were the candles on the tables.

The only bad things I can say about this place are the lack of AC and the mosquitoes. I pretty much bathed in OFF everyday but still got about 50 bites on my body. But I tend to attract mosquitoes. My boyfriend didn't have any bites at all.

The staff was friendly and very helpful especially the Social desk lady who bargained with the water taxi drivers for us. We also asked for cocoa tea (as we were told to try it) even though it wasn't on the menu and they made sure we had it the next day! The diving crew was also very friendly. I had forgotten to put my equipment together since I haven't done it since 2001 and they were very patient with me. I also lost my mask and snorkel and they searched for it until they were found.

The couple massage at Kai Mer was very relaxing but a little overpriced! I loved the sound of the waves crashing. What a beautiful setting!

The modified American meal plan was perfect for us. We enjoyed the breakfast every morning. The pancakes were delicious - almost crepe-like. Lots of fresh fruits and I especially liked the hard-boiled eggs. I wish they had oatmeal though. Dinner was a 2-3 hour event every night with 4-5 course meals. Everything was delicious! The desserts were great! We were also given $150 credit per person for food and beverages and that covered all our lunches and drinks!

The lack of TV and phone was the best idea of all ideas. It made for a very relaxing trip. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2006
7 Thank lumpia916
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2006

My wife and I stayed at Anse Chastenet in June 2002 for our honeymoon. The weeklong stay was pricey, but worth every penny for all the terrific memories we have of our stay! When we landed at the airport, our ride to the hotel was ready and waiting for us and the driver was very good at navigating the rough roads to the hotel and gave us great tips on places to visit and explained the sites we passed with total sincerity. The hotel staff greeted us with a tasty, refreshing drink at arrival and showed us to our hut. You can call the hotel treehouse-like, but the huts are built onto a slope and with the views they offer of the Caribbean, treehouse is really a poor choice of words. The huts are large and have great space management. The stay was fairytale-like: we went whale watching and boated to Castries. We snorkeled a lot! The hotel is so dark at night that we sat out late watching faint meteors pass overhead...you can't see those anywhere near big cities like Houston. The all-inclusive meals were very good and varied enough that we wished some of the great dishes were repeated! And on our last day, it rained for a short spell and it was followed by a rainbow over the bay that made for a great last photograph for our trip. If you decide to stay here, you won't go wrong!

• Stayed June 2002
5 Thank madhattertx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 12 in Gros Islet

Been to Anse Chastanet? Share your experiences!