“St.Lucia was the bomb!!”
Review of Anse Chastanet

Anse Chastanet
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
“St.Lucia was the bomb!!”
Reviewed May 24, 2005

I absolutely love St.Lucia!! It was fantastic!! I had a lot of fun and it was just so interesting. From the the minute I arrived I knew I was going to have fun. My husband and I stayed at Anse Chastnet which was very beutiful. We went on safari tours, to the beach and also to the Gros_ Islet Friday night street party. If you plan on going to St.Lucia, I strongly sugest that you attend. It was soooo much fun!!!!!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2005

As a result of the terrible events of the Tsunami in Asia, our dream holiday to the Maldives was cancelled . Despite our disappointment we decided to continue with some kind of a holiday, with very little choice left available we picked Anse Chastenet, not knowing anything really about the hotel or the island.
As reported in other reviews , the "road" up to the hotel leaves a bit to be desired, but this is the Carribean, all part and parcel of the " no problem,man" culture, - why bother with tarmac ?( the real reason it is unsurfaced , is to deter non residents of the hotel , from driving up to the beach and bay.So it tends to remain very quiet and unspoilt )
Set on the hillside overlooking the rainforest and a dark sandy beach, the location is spectacular.You need to be aware that due to the hillside location a number of steps have to be negotiated from the hillside cottages down to the beach (A courtesy mini bus runs the short distance down to the beach on request)
If its pristine "plastic" luxury you are after then maybe Anse is not for you,but if you want to see the real St Lucia , with its wonderful ,friendly people , nature at its most beautiful and a real genuine atmosphere this place is unbeatable.
All the rooms have amazing views over the rainforest. Yes insects and birds are about , but you are in the forest, its obvious !
The hotel staff , the food and the surroundings are excellent,and if you like diving and snorkelling then you can't get much better .There is a wonderful reef straight off the beach, along with free use of sailboats and windsurfing equipment. Overall this place excellent, go and discover it for yourselves, if you love natural beauty , with superb food all packaged together by the happiest friendliest staff you will ever meet.
We feel lucky that we discovered the special charm of Anse,by pure chance.We will return, I'm sure, time and time again

• Stayed January 2005
29 Thank SteveLaz
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 5, 2005

We just came back from a weeks stay at Anse Chastanet, and I can truly say that it was the most incredible vacation I have ever taken. The place is just beautiful, very intimate, and there is lots to do there. I did read a number of reviews prior to going to the hotel, so I was not suprised by anything except its beauty. None of the pictures you see can really show what it looks like firsthand. Yes, it was a long, hour cab ride from the airport, but neither my wife, who has trouble with motion sickness, nor I had any problem with it. That was the last time we got in a car until we headed back home for the airport. We got in at 10 pm, and as we were checking in they gave us a cocktail, and waiting in our room was a bottle of champagne and a cold supper in the fridge. We had one of the premium rooms, and the Total Romance Package, which was definitely worth it. The view from the room was surreal, with the Pitons looming out of the sea. For the rest of the trip, I felt like we didn't have to worry about a thing. The staff was incredibly friendly, helpful, bright, and articulate. Our guides on our hikes and biking were wonderful. We had planned on a lot of time laying on the beach reading, but most days we hardly touched our books. We went hiking, sailing, snorkeling, jungle biking, kayaking, did a massage, and ate and ate and ate. The food was great, particularily all of the freshly baked breads and rolls, not to mention the french fries! Dinners were either a 4 course meal upstairs or something freshly grilled for you at the beach restaurant. We kept the weight off with all of the activities, not to mention the stairs, which are quite a climb, but plenty of places to "enjoy the view" along the way if you needed to. Everything we did was such low stress - it seemed the biggest group we did an activity with all week was 4 people - that by the end of the week I discovered that my watch had the day of the week on it. Normally I never notice that, but at Anse Chastanet that was the only way I could keep track of time. We did everything that we wanted to do, and when we checked out, having prepaid the room package, our bill was $170, mostly for souveneirs from the gift shop. I would HIGHLY recommend Anse Chastanet for any couple looking for a place to get away from everything. The only caveat would be the stairs, which makes the place pretty much handicap inaccessible.

16 Thank Stayactive26
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 5, 2005

My husband and I got married at Anse Chastanet on 4/29/2005. We had an amazing experience as did the other 26 people who came to share the wedding with us. Overall, this is an absolutely amazing resort with spectaculart views, supremely friendly staff, great gourmet food, black sand beach, rooms filled with art and a distinctly Caribbean flavor.

The ride to the hotel is windy and bumpy, but don't be put off, it's not a big deal. You are better off if you fly into UVF, it's about an hour drive. If you fly into SLU it's about 1 1/2 hours but you get some spectacular views on the way.

The staff is exceptional. Everyone is super friendly and accommodating. You will be very pleased with the service.

The rooms are great and are serviced twice daily. The standard rooms are cozy, we stayed in a premuim room and it was above and beyond our wildest dreams. If you can afford it, go for the better rooms. No problems with bugs or critters at all. We did not even use our bug net. The views are breathtaking. There is no AC but we did fine w/out it, and for once you appreciate the world without AC, phone, TV etc. Note that if you can't live without conventional luxury, this is not the place for you. The art in the rooms is worth the experience alone and we got to see about 10 rooms since we were there with 26 other people.

The food was supreme. The beach restaurant is fun for the buffet but if you want true gourmet go to the Piton or the Tree House. The five courses will not dissapoint you. All our guests simply gorged themselves all week long.

The steps leading from the beach to the reception are steep. If you are young and like excercise, I highly recommend them. After eating and drinking so much, you want to do the steps to counterbalance. You are after all in a bathing suit. If you are older or have joint problems, request beach side rooms.

The snorkeling and diving is amazing. We did both and found that the best site to dive is by the Gros Piton. For beginner dives, the Anse Chastanet Reef is just the place to be though. The scuba instructors are good and all the equipment is well maintained.

The beach is beautiful and serene. Black sand heats up fast, so beware not to burn your feet. The beach huts have complimentary towels and you can also order food + drinks right from the beach hut.

The weather was great, 85-90 F everyday, sunny and humid. It rained every day for about 15 minutes, which is good though to cool off the sand.

What to watch out for:

If you are a wedding group, make sure your billing and discounts match your final bill. We had a few problems and it was all straightened out in the end, but it was not so much fun. If you are a couple, I would still make sure it's accurate.

Bugs bite at night on your feet - wear bug spray if you are prone to itching. We however, wore no bug spray and did not use bug net.

If you don't like nature, adventure and 'off the beaten track' this is not the place for you. This is not a conventional luxury resort, it is a special place in a class of its own. We enjoyed it immensely.

If you are considering getting married at Anse Chastanet, you can email me.

Thank you to these exceptional employees/managers: Christian, Beatta, Peter, Mary, Pearl, Odile, Bernd, Junior and Karolin the owner.

• Stayed April 2005
21 Thank mashap
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 18, 2005

Anse Chastanet is not the "Luxury Resort" that many travel magazines claim. The price does not match the accomodations...and, there are significantly better hotels (both at and even below this price range: Ti Kaye Village, The Windjammer, Ladera and the Jalousie Hilton, etc).
Don't be decieved by their fancy website; it is the only thing they have updated in the past 10 years. We thought it was a glorified campground. We think anyone who tells you otherwise hasn't been to other hotels in St. Lucia.

We were shocked upon arrival. The grounds are not well maintained; the rooms are "camp-like", at best: old bed linens, moldy ceilings, worn furniture, open air shutters. The restaurants are also over-priced and disappointing. (Again, we were lucky enough to have other hotels to compare it to). Overall, the hotel is in general disrepair and needs maintainance and updating.
For the price, stay somewhere else. We stayed at several hotels during our 10 day trip to St. Lucia. Anse Chastanet was the most disappointing. We found the Jalousie Hilton to be a little less expensive and far superior. At The Jalousie Hilton you can get your own cottage, with air conditioning, and pool for roughly the same price. Ti Kaye Village is much less expensive and has an updated reception, wonderful staff, excellent restaurant and charming rooms. We will go back to Ti Kaye. Ladera is a must see/stay,.. (wow, a once in a lifetime view) amazing- the restaurant is excellent! The rooms at Ladera are also open to the elements (like Anse Chastanet)-but, Ladera has been updated (and you can have your own pool over looking the mountains!) We thought the best deal was: Ti Kaye (it is way under-priced).. If you want to splurge on a luxury experience in St. Lucia: The Jalousie Hilton is the only way to go.
We believe Anse Chastanet's price range does not match the experience or the accomodations. Our lower-end room was priced at $549/night (4/2005). We left after one night and cancelled the rest of our reservation (which was a first for us) and (thank goodness) went to the Jalousie Hilton for the remainder of our trip. We believe, after having some perspective, that staying at Anse Chastanet for even one night was a mistake. Really- Don't waste your money at Anse Chastanet. We did.

• Stayed April 2005
32 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ottawa Ontario
Reviewed April 16, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Anse Chastanet Mar 27 - Apr 3, 2005. There are simply not enough words to describe the experience easily. From the moment the plane touched down on the ground to the departure, each moment was a cherished memory, a new adventure that even today, as I write this review, comes flooding back as if I were still there.

The ride to the hotel was one hour long but only the last two miles were bumpy, the rest was slow due the mountain terrain (up, down, around - somewhat like the Canadian Rockies or Cape Breton Nova Scotia). The scenery is great and we started taking pictures (+ 400 by the time we got home!) from that moment onward.

Once at Anse Chastanet...one gets an overwhelming feeling of just how great the people are and how they would do anything for you! They continually go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. Somehow we lucked out in getting room Cloud 9A - +1000 square feet of living space; two bedrooms, two baths (one with a shower open to the outdoors), living room, dining room, kitchen, balcony; overlooking the Pitons on one side and the beach on the other! The room & the view took my breath away - simply incredible.

The beaches are beautiful - no, you will not find white sand - rather "salt & pepper"; & you will find much peace & quiet - perfect for relaxing!

The restaurants were incredible. The menu changes every night with four courses that are out of this world unless of course you are not into local spices/dishes. We were on an "All Inclusive" plan so cannot comment on prices for food or drinks, only that we enjoyed it all immensely!!!!!

The Scuba Diving was incredible; beautiful reefs just minutes away - coral, sponges, moray eels, fish -
The snorkeling was excellent as well with Anse Chastenet reef right at your footsteps! As we spent much of our time scuba diving, we did not get a chance to partake of the many other activities offered by Anse Chastenet.

There are a couple of things that one must be aware of before staying at Anse Chastanet:

1. If you are afraid of the outdoors and everthing that comes along with it (birds, bugs, crawling critters & perhaps a cat or two) this is NOT the place to go. We only had 5 bugs, one tree frog, two salamanders, a few birds in our room the entire time we were there. We came prepared with bug spray as it had been recommended in many reviews. Didn't need it, though...

2. You must also be in good shape to stay in one of the hillside rooms. There are 150 steps from the beach to the main level and then about 150-200 more to the top rooms, with many small rooms/houses in between and a bar for refreshments between the beach level and the rooms. The stairs helped keep those extra pounds off gained while partaking of the great food.

3. Important to note this is not a fast paced environment; nothing is rushed (sometimes afternoon tea scheduled for 3:30 pm does not show up until 4:10pm). Remember you are on vacation - nothing should be rushed, each moment savoured!!!

As noted by others...make sure you get to know the staff! They are phenominal!! Especially Alexander, Agnes, Eric and all the Scuba St Lucia Staff (Garfield, Keither, Errol, Daniel, Victor, Ponce, Bonita, Mary, Jonathan - to mention a few)

Please don't be turned away by poor reviews; this is great place to experience! We went to relax on the vacation of a lifetime and that is what we got. No phones, TV, air conditioning, or even clocks! You are as far away from the 'real' world as possible to be rejuvenated, relaxed, and pampered! And that is what St. Lucia's Anse Chastanet was and always will be for us! It is just the most romantic and exciting and rejuvenating vacation one can take.

• Stayed March 2005
21 Thank Scubanut
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 29, 2005

I was at Ansi Chastanet 4 years ago and will put forth my opinion of how it was then. I was looking for a little R & R (or "me" time) and went because I had wanted a feeling of staying in a five star Carribean hotel. I stayed 4 days at another property (cheaper). For me, one day was more than enough and I was glad that I did not try to stay there for any more.

It was one of the worst hotels I have ever been in (have been in ones in Germany, Ireland, Egypt and may places in in the US). The only thing I could think is seeing my money flying away with wings.

At the time, there was a bumpy road going into the property. The driver said that it was that way because the hotel did not own it - nor did the city - so it was left to decay. Mind you that it is along the side of a mountain as well.

When reaching the property, I thought it looked a bit run-down for what they were charging. I was taken (after walking on many steps) to my first room (Room #1). The decor and bathroom were not worth the money that I was paying for one night. The ceiling fan did little to remove the humidity and heat in the that summer and seemed to be making 3 revolutions per minute. The walls of the room were more like shutters with a one inch raise from the base of the floor - just enough for critters to crawl under. There were loud noises - like crickets that I did not like as well.

In all fairness though the view was beautiful.

I went to the front desk to call relatives Stateside for the safe arrival call (rooms have no phones, no TV). They immediately asked "What is that noise in the background?" - I had to tell them that it was the "crickets". When speaking to the agent at the front desk about the room, she said that it was "Supposed to be romantic". I thought "For who? Tarzan and Jane".

Back in the room, when I saw a lizard leap from a chair, I called it quits and requested a second room.

They moved me from the west side of the jungle to the east side of the jungle. The room was much bigger but it was still hot and because of the location, I was still not comfortable - the ceiling fan there seemed to make 5 revolutions per minute but it was so high up that it made no difference. The room was literally on the far right portion of the property.

I was then moved to the final room (Room #3) which was near the guard shack. The decor there was terrible: There was a small roach in the bathroom and the ceiling was decorated with foil-like stars and moons on a navy blue background. I was thankful that it was just *one* night.

The dinner for the night before was spent fighting off birds for my food. They litterally stood next to my plate and acted as though they were expecting to be fed. I also remember it being expensive as well and not worth the money being paid.

Some good things about the property: The beach was very nice and I liked the drinks. I did find a palm tree with my name on it. I had a Swedish massage that I was pleased with as well.

On a whole, I would stay at another property for a *real* stay and then just visit the beach on the property ;-))

Regards.

• Stayed July 2001
14 Thank d0mufasa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 12 in Gros Islet

Been to Anse Chastanet? Share your experiences!