“Anse Chastanet Wonderful”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersGold level
“Anse Chastanet Wonderful”
Reviewed August 8, 2004

My new wife and I just got back from our honeymoon and all I can say is, FANTASTIC! Anse Chastanet was wonderful. The service was amazing (We arrived late so they put drinks in our hands and sent us right up to our room and told us to check in tomorrow. There was a cold plate from
dinner, fresh fruit, and champaign that revived us). I could go on and on about the service, but suffice it to say, I've never had better (I include several 5 star hotels and numerous restaurants). The people were great. When we woke up, the view was a tropical paradise. We overlooked the ocean and watched the sun set each night from our room while getting ready for dinner.

Activities. What can I say, tons to do. We kayaked, snorkeled (excellent reefs), mountain biked, hiked, swam, played tennis, took a sunset sail on their yacht (sailing by the pitons at sunset should not be missed), Marissa visited the spa a few times, oh yeah...and laid on the beach. No TV's, no phones, no clocks in the rooms was perfect. Just enjoyment.

The food was not to be believed, good thing there is so much to do. Huge choice on the menu each night and wonderfully prepared.

What a great place. We'll be back with her parents.

Thanks for the best honeymoon I could imagine.

Regards,

Chuck & Marissa

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Reviewed July 29, 2004

I spent 2 nights at the Anse Chastanet when I was in the Caribbean working in September 2002. It is a traditional St Lucian Hise Out with extreme friendliness and comfort. The only bad points were the countless stpes from the beach to the main hotel area - expect to sweat when climbing in that heat! Another thing to be careful of is the sand! I know this sounds strange but with it being black volvanic sand, when the sun is beating down on it all day, it doesn't half get hot! I got out of the sea after snorkelling and I swear I have never felt pain like that before in my life!! TIP - TAKE FLIP FLOPS!!!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ft Collins
Reviewed July 25, 2004

Anyone who complains about Anse Chastanet doesn't know luxury when it hits them in the face. Of course it's going to be hot, what do you expect when you travel to an island that is 80% rainforest in the middle of rainy season. Maybe those ungrateful people should have stayed at a Hilton. Anse Chastanet was the best resort we've every stayed at. We traveled 12 hours to get married here and did regret it one bit. Anyone who is looking for a great exotic establishment so adventure to Anse Chastanet.

• Stayed June 2004
5 Thank wannabebeachbum
Ft. Myers,FL
Reviewed July 16, 2004

We were married our fifth day at A.C. We and our 9 scuba friends were on the diving package. Excellent diving and staff. Food fantastic: lots of variety, gourmet presentation, fresh local fish, veggies and fruits. The soups, the desserts,shrimp sandwich, gotta try their burgers! Service was outstanding. We were given 7a for our room and the view was worth the killer steps up to it. Peter and Innocent did a wonderful job with the wedding that took place on our balcony. Not a dry eye after Thelma reads the vows. Truly a special island/ resort for a wedding. We all were overwhelmed with all aspects. This resort exceeded our expectations. Fans were sufficient, bugs not a problem. On to Ladera: We were ready for the mountains after all that diving. Three couples went on with us. What a totally different view of the Pitons. Each room has a pool so you don't want to leave it. We had the opportunity to see six rooms cause we were upgraded after the first day by surprize. What the small rooms lack in size, they make up in charm. How very romantic and special. The food was delicious and gourmet. We opted for the meal plan at $60/day p.p. Good choice. The tours are very good from this hotel. Nice service. It would be a tough decision to make between them so I suggest you do both!~!

• Stayed July 2004
4 Thank Diana_Frisby
Oil City, PA
Reviewed July 11, 2004

My wife and I stayed at Anse Chastanet from June 10th-17th and had the best vacation ever!!! I had researched this destination to death because I had planned this for our honeymoon 7 years ago but couldn't go then. So, my expectations were very high and was worried they would be dashed when we got there. Couldn't have been more pleased! Yes the ride there is long (1hr 30min)and bumpy but it was not bad enough to make us sick...plus the scenery is great and you get to see more of the island. Everyone on the island was super nice and would do anything for you! We were treated like kings and queens all the time.

Upon arriving at Anse Chastanet...you feel like you are steping out into a jungle hidden paradise. It is so hard to descibe the resort on here...but it is like what I call 'posh camping'. You have fabulous rooms, views, showers, restaurants, beaches, snorkeling,etc. We got upgraded to Cloud 9A which currently is the top room on the resort. They kindly did this for us because we were first to arrive on Thursday and it was not being rented out. This room was not even a room it was a house!! Two bedrooms, two baths (one with an open ceiling shower), living room, dining room, balcony, etc. It was so cool to go to sleep with tree frogs chirping and waking up to the frogs calming down and the birds waking.

The only thing that one must know is that if you are afraid of bugs and critters, this is NOT the place to go. And bug spray is a must! My wife doesn't like bugs and lizards and things but she did SO well on this vacation because it is really so much like paradise you don't even care! It is just the most romantic and exciting and rejuvenating vacation one can take. You must also be in good shape to stay in one of the hillside rooms. There are 150 steps from the beach to the main level and then about 150-200 more to the top rooms, with many small rooms/houses in between. We didn't gain a pound on this vacation even eating 4 large meals a day! By the way...the food is fantastic!!!!! Unless you are a picky eater, because they are not afraid of spices and different ingredients.
The menu changes every night with four courses
that are out of this world. My wife and I like good food and this is definitely it! I would defintely recommend getting the meal plan including lunch but unless you drink tons of alcohol skip the drinks package. Getting to Soufriere is not bad but I don't know if i would want to go there at night because of the roads and because it gets dark around 6pm...so really only lunch is truly feasible out. As someone else noted...make sure you get to know the staff! They are phenominal!! Especially Marilyn! (Please tell her hi from her 'children', Jodi and Dave).

Please don't let the bad reviews scare you away from this great place to experience! We went to relax on the vacation of a lifetime and that is what we got. No phones, TV, air conditioning, or even clocks! You are as far away from the 'real' world as possible to be rejuvenated, relaxed, and pampered! And that is what St. Lucia's Anse Chastanet was and always will be for us! Please feel free to email me if you have any questions or concerns! Don't be afraid of a great adventure. :)

• Stayed June 2004
5 Thank DWagner
Reviewed July 5, 2004

We stayed at Anse Chastenet on our honeymoon the last week of May. I honestly can not say enough positive things about our experience. We stayed in a hillside room with the most breathtaking view I could ever have imagined - and let me say - completely isolated. It did get hot, but if we kept the ceiling fan and the floor fan on us at night, it wasn't that bad. The food was amazing and the staff was even better. I suggest taking your time and getting to know the staff - they really are a great bunch of people. We had all these big plans of hiking and biking and did none of it - just laying on the beach and enjoying a good book was perfect. We did take advantage of other activities (snorkle, scuba, kayak, sail, spa) - I definitely recommend all of them.
A comment to those who write such bad reviews - didn't you research the facilities before booking? I see complaints about the stairs and air conditioning and have to laugh. Yes, there are a lot of stairs, and no there is no air conditioning. But the resort does not hide that from you and practically every review mentions both. Its going to be hot - you're in the Caribbean. If you have a bad time at Anse Chastenet, it's your own fault for not picking the chain hotel you should have picked.
Anse Chastenet is beautiful, unique, and something out of a dream. I loved every minute there and can't wait to go back someday.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Anselmo, CA
Reviewed June 23, 2004

When it came to celebrating my 60th Birthday with my loving wife - I picked the most romantic place I had ever been to. We returned to Anse Chastanet where the magnificent scenery - excellent service and unbelievable food lends itself to the feeling of being in paradise.

I've been to over 50 countries and the decision of returning to St. Lucia was made in a flash! As an avid diver I loved the healthy reefs and ever so close dive sites. There are few sites as magnificent as the Pitons and few resorts as well run as Anse Chastanet. That was my third visit and I can't wait to find another reason to go back again.

9 Thank CAScuba9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Anse Chastanet? Share your experiences!