“Perfect honeymoon”

Anse Chastanet
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 22, 2013

My husband and I spent 7 nights at Anse Chastanet in mid-November and had an amazing time! We were upgraded to a Premium Hillside room and had a wonderful view of the Pitons to the left and the bay and sunset to the right. It was certainly a trek up to the room from the beach, but it meant we were able to burn off some of the banana daiquiris! Anse Chastanet is certainly for "rustic luxury" than its sister resort, Jade Mountain (which we toured), but it was a better fit for us since we were at the beach, diving, snorkeling, biking, etc. the whole time. The food was also great (especially Aspara) and having an all-inclusive plan was by far the best way to go. We would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Christina B

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I was hesitant about going to Anse Chastanet having read nearly every review and being worried with what negatives others had pointed out, however I think these people with the negative reviews are either deluded or they are just the type of people to have to find something to complain about. However I had nothing to worry about the whole feel of the hotel the people the location everything was perfect.

We had a honeymoon package with our tour operator but on arrival the staff had upgraded our room which was a lovely touch to our stay as the room was magnificent I was blown away with the view, the art work is amazing and really made the room and the hotel unique.

We loved the welcome orientation that was organised it was more like a get to know each other meeting which was nice because we have now made friends with some lovely people and will continue to stay in touch.

The hotel has an area where you can book excursions. One place we wanted to go to wasn't on the list so we asked about doing it and the hotel made it happen with a phone call and I thought that was so nice that they helped us to do all of what we wanted to do.

The beach is gorgeous and the sea life incredible. We took a guided trip just by the Pitons to snorkel which was amazing though even right off the beach at Anse Chastanet there is plenty to see. I even loved watching the little crabs on the shore.

The wildlife is wonderful it is like living in the rainforest the sound of the tree frogs and the birds was incredible to hear.

The staff were all amazing and friendly they all went out of there way to help and make sure our stay was perfect. Nothing was to much trouble and we felt very spoilt.

I wanted to just give my view on the people with the negatives and clear up any concerns that others may have because of what these other reviews say about wifi, steps, the road to the hotel, the birds at breakfast, no air con etc that HELLO you know when you book that you are booking a hotel that is supposed to be about relaxing it is in the hills it is all open and natural
as it can be!

Firstly why do you want wifi when on holiday the point is to relax and not have the phone to your head all day.

Secondly the steps really aren't that bad it's good for the lungs and it is just lazy if your gonna complain about it. The hotel offer a shuttle which people can use to get up and down so no need to complain about the steps.

Thirdly, the road to the hotel it's bumpy yes, but I found driving down from the Alps worse than driving to and from Anse Chastanet. The drivers are perfectly safe and I never once felt worried. The road is bumpy for a reason.

Next no air con, well you know when you book what facilities there are so to complain about this is beyond me. Anyway if you want air con the beach rooms have this. Though the fans in the hillside rooms are fine and we had an extra fan we used for a couple nights but air con wasn't needed. You get the wind coming through the room and it's plenty cool enough but don't book if you don't like no air con it's simple really.

Oh and lastly the birds at breakfast, how can anyone complain about this?! You are sat in a tree house in there natural environment. Someone put on here about getting a cat! Seriously really? It's as if people don't understand they are staying in an open environment you are supposed to enjoy the wildlife the birds sitting on the chairs it made me smile every morning I couldn't wait to go see the birds. It made it unique and made me feel how close to nature I was. I loved seeing them in our room and the lizards it was fascinating.

I would recommend this hotel and I can't wait to go back it truly was a magical honeymoon and I loved every moment I was there.

• Stayed: November 2013
7  Thank Redbootz1
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We just returned from our third diving trip at Anse Chastenet and again thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The service is wonderful and the property is unique. You should be aware, however, that this is not a cookie cutter property. There are over a hundred fairly steep steps form the beach to the main areas. . . and most rooms are not air conditioned. But the property is truly unique with stunning views, a nice beach, and generally great food. Be sure you buy a meal plan though, because a la carte food prices are high.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank alfiekit
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Hotel was recommended by parents but in all my years of holidaying in this part of the world and having stayed in St Lucia before, I have never felt so well looked after. There are places where you just feel like the helpfulness has been drummed into the staff but it is different here, real customer care cannot be trained into people they have to be bothered to begin with and they really do at Anse Chastanet.

The room although quite basic had no AC but that did not affect our stay and the views of the Pitons from our hillside room were magnificent (Room 4C) do not go for a beach side room the hillside is where you want to be.

We had been told the food was great and breakfast catered for our every whim, lazy lunches on the beach under our thatched brolly or the awesome "Jungle Burger" at the next beach along, but dinner at any of the restaurants were fabulous, in particular, the "Tree House" where each evening produced an entirely new menu (2 week stay) beautifully presented fare.

Diving facilities were excellent and the range of dive sites extensive, leave the planning to Natasha she will sort everything. Due to travel dates I believed that I would be unable to undertake the famous "Superman's Flight" dive.....No problem we will move the day of the dive for you! and this is what I meant at the start for so many hotel staff around the world it is easier to say no, here it is YES we are here for you.

Room Tip: 4C Hillside rooms better than Beach
1  Thank motley2013
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We just come back from a relaxing holiday from St Lucia. We were really pleased that we have chosen Soufriere area and this hotel as this location from our perspective is perfect for first timer in St Lucia. We can see the famous Pitons from this boutique hotel (only 49 rooms)and there are lots of interesting things to do around the area. Sunset can be view from the beach and is often glorious when the weather is not cloudy or rainy!!! Abo who works in the beach area is great. He will make every effort to ensure your stay on the beach huts are comfortable.

Our check in and out was smooth. Michele at the reception has make it very pleasant and seamless. She is always smiley and professional!!!

We have chosen a room with air condition as the humidity in St Lucia is really high and hot. Our room was beautiful with a balcony and is closed to the beach where we can easily go for a swim and snorkel. If you enjoy snorkeling this is a great place to be in as the reef is close by but not in great condition!!! You can see some of the corals are dying.!!! However you can still see some fan coral, different coloured fish, Beware of jelly fish!!!

One great thing of this hotel is that in your room there is no TV, radio or phone. You can really chill and have a fantastic break from all the hustle and bustle of daily life. There are free yoga classes, walking tours. We went on the Soufriere walking tour and the Anse Mamin Plantation tour and both tours were wonderful and full of useful information. We even managed to see some bats!!! Tyson you are a star!!!

The hotel also offer some sight seeing tours. This I have mixed feelings!!! There was one tour that we went on, it was ghastly. The tour guide and driver were so unprofessional and at times dangerous that we have to complaint on our return. Although we did get the whole issue resolved finally but we have to push for it and enquire about this every other day. This is terribly disappointing, considering what Anse Chastanet target market is. At times we feel like ping pong ball being in between Peter Jean Paul and the lady who sell us this tour. However the sunset cruise was great. Karwin has make it special for us. We were pleasantly surprised that Karwin actually remembered our names a few days later. He actually says a warm goodbye to us and it is this type of people that makes the holiday and hotel special. We need more of those Anse Chastanet!!! Karwin thks very much!!! You need to be here when we next come back.

The food in the hotel was wonderful. We particularly like Aspara and the Beach Grill. The food there is amazing. The old treetop restaurant, as there is no fan or air condition, it is just too hot and humid for us to enjoy our dinner. Breakfast is ok, nothing to wow about. Hot food is limited and is quite boring. Birds are a nuisance as they will eat anything if you do not cover your drinks, plates or used knives and forks, We found the waitresses in breakfast time particularly grumpy i.e. not smiley at all. When you leave the breakfast room they do not say "Goodbye" unless by chance the general manager is eating there and you can hear them saying this. You can see a noticeable different level of service. In the evening when we eat at the beach area, during the service, the waitresses just talk amoung themselves. This really destroy the ambience of the place.

The spa in this hotel are wonderful. I have 2 treatments one facial and one deep tissue massage. Both are excellent. I have my best sleep after my deep tissue massage.

Another thing beware (which we think is really not that great): This hotel via Peach on Earth does offer a scheduled Water Taxi to go from the hotel to Soufriere (otherwise you can walk down but it will take about 30mins and at times the road is quite slippery) from Monday to Saturday for a small fee. The day when we want it, it is not available. This is a concept that we cannot understand. As this is a scheduled service and there is no alternative for the inconvenience. The explanation given was: one boat is out of service and the other has to pick up a passenger from Marigot Bay!!!

If you have the opportunity do go up to Jade Mountain. The view there is amazing. Even if this is raining it is worth it. As the scenary changed so quickly.

1  Thank EastmeetsWestAB
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Superb location, hillside rooms overlooking both the famous St Lucia pitons and a secluded bay. If its peace and relaxation you want with a bit of added luxury, then this is the perfect place for you. No TV, no telephone in the rooms just comfortable seclusion and beautiful views. Sitting on the balcony sipping chilled Prosecco (kindly provided by the hotel to celebrate our Ruby wedding anniversary) watching the birdlife flitting in and out of the trees surrounding your room washes away the cares of the world. The beach is directly below the hotel but be prepared for the climb back to your room. Private thatched beach shelters each with loungers and towels provided by Abo and Francis. You can go snorkelling straight off the beach (equipment provided) where there is superb coral and sealife. If you are prepared to walk for 10 minutes a second private beach with its own bar and grill for superb lunches. Immediately behind is the old sugar plantation with fantastic walks or cycle rides through the forest for those feeling like a little more exercise. Food at the hotel is excellent with a choice of four restaurants ranging from vegetarian through to Asian influenced. We would particularly recommend the Tree House Restaurant for superb modern cuisine excellently presented by the Chef and his team. Breakfast sees a very extensive buffet from fresh fruit through to freshly prepared omelettes. At all times the staff are both friendly and helpful yet never pushy. Take an evening cruise on a beautiful sailing yacht and see more of the spectacular coastline as well as mixing it with the dolphins. Sums up this romantic location

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I think the beach at Anse Chastanet is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever ever been to. It really is stunning. The sand is darker in the south but not too dark and it has lovely sparkles in it.
We stayed at Anse Chastanet for the second part of our trip to St Lucia (we had stayed at Rendezvous in Castries to start with), and I am really glad that we did see both parts of the island as they are quite different. The south is definitely the most beautiful part of the island and the view from our balcony was stunning - we could see the Pitons to our left and the sea to our right.
I love the hotel's concept, it is an eco friendly hotel, with no air conditioning in the rooms (be warned if you need air con!) but big fans instead. I loved this. You sleep with a mosquito net over the bet (again I love this). The bathrooms are quite basic and I was disappointed in the bathroom products but they were fine and it was adequate. The rooms are hexagon shape and they are pretty much in the jungle. There are lots of mosquitoes so do take spray with you! I loved waking up in the morning to the view of the pitons, I think that that view was the most spectacular I have ever seen from a hotel balcony.
The food is also excellent at the hotel, we ate in the Indian restauant at the beach, the beach bar grill and the treehouse restaurant. I found the breakfast buffet a little limited though and there are birds everywhere. I didn't mind that at all, although perhaps they should get a little cat to keep some of them away! I did think it was quite sad that the birds take the sugar packets and then drop the empty packets to the ground below. The view from breakfast is lovely also!
As I said earlier we had come from Rendezvous hotel in Castries beforehand and the hotels are very different. Anse Chastanet has the more beautiful beach and it is a different style of hotel completely. What we did find though was that the service at Anse Chastanet was not as good as we had experienced earlier. All the staff are very nice but are not as enthusiastic or friendly as we had been used to, and whereas at Rendezvous we felt the staff really all seemed to love their jobs (they may all be great actors!) and I didn't get that impression at Anse Chastanet. At breakfast our request for orange juice was often forgotten, there weren't as many smiles etc and I often felt a little bad requesting things! We still enjoyed the hotel a lot and I would recommened it as it is stunning but I think if the management could improve service then it really would be a dream hotel.
We did go up to Jade Mountain for a drink one evening which is a great experience as it is an amazing view from up there and very interesting hotel!
We also did snorkelling around the reef which is amazing! So much sealife and beautiful colours! We did it ourselves one day and then the next paid to go with a guide. You don't need to go with the guide though as you can see enough yourself just going into the sea with the snorkelling equipment.
We were all inclusive which I am pleased we did as otherwise the food and drinks is extremely expensive.

Room Tip: If you don't want to climb too far to your room each day, ask for a room nearer reception.
1  Thank LondonEJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate
Stonefield Estate Resort
Stonefield Estate Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Anse Chastanet? Share your experiences!