“Absolutely wonderful! 2 Beautiful beaches, great views, and great service!”
Review of Anse Chastanet

Anse Chastanet
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, TX
“Absolutely wonderful! 2 Beautiful beaches, great views, and great service!”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We absolutely loved our stay at Anse Chastanet! It is very beautiful and everyone was extremely kind. We stayed during the first week in September.

ROOMS: Unfortunately, the power went out in our first room (a standard room). That night they moved us over to a Hillside - these didn't have as much privacy. But then we were upgraded to a Premium Hillside suite, and that room was incredible and easily made up for it. The staff worked hard to minimize the impact on us. We had already planned to go on one of the walks in the following morning. Afterwards, we packed up our stuff and then headed to the beach. They moved our things to the new room while we were enjoying the beach. It really could not have been a smoother process! The owners even emailed me when we returned to apologize for any inconveniece.

The premium hillside room (7E) had views of both the ocean and the Pitons - each view had it's own sitting area. The shower was about 100sq ft with views of the Pitons. Beware it is open concept! This room was larger than most of the apartments I had as a young adult. Words can't do it justice, check out the pictures!

With the fan on, I was never hot. In fact, I was cold and had to get the extra blanket out of the closet - yes, in all 3 of the rooms I stayed in. Also, someone mentioned a converter below - and it was located in the closet.

ACTIVITIES: Sailing was absolutely awesome! We sailed towards the Pitons and snorkeled in front of Sugar Beach hotel. I highly recommend this of all of the activities there! The guided walk with Meno was also excellent - he told us a lot about the local plants and animals. Yoga on the beach was great too - we took 5 classes!

ANSE MAMIN BEACH: This resort has an incredibly beautiful second beach! And the best part is WE WERE THE ONLY ONES THERE! There was a grill and bar, and the staff was very friendly. But for the better part of 2 days - we were the only guests!! I guess the others either didn't know about it or were too lazy to walk over to it. The food was better at this beach grill than at the main beach. The beach lounges didn't have the thick cushions like at the other beach, but who cares when you have it all to yourself! It was the perfect place to relax and recuperate! My husband enjoyed the hammock. Also, the shore is less rocky and steep here than at the main beach - which makes it easier to get in and out of the water.

THE FOOD: was good not anymore expensive than any other island hotel restuarant. We enjoyed the Tree House restaurant, but it's nice to have a wider selection, especially for those of us who choose to eat all of our meals there. Even then, the beach grill staff accommodated my request to add chicken to the penne pasta :)

Lastly, someone previously mentioned it being difficult to have charges removed. They gave us our bill the night before to review and asked us to let them know in advance if anything was wrong. It was correct and we did not require any modifications - even though we charged to mulitple rooms during our stay.

Overall they are very accommodating and go above and beyond to ensure that you are enjoying your stay there. This is definitely not your 4Seasons or Hilton type hotel - it's so much better! If you want a butler (and tons of people) go to Sandals. This is your peace and quite, back to nature, just want to be left alone resort.

Room Tip: The deluxe hillside (octagon) rooms have the least privacy. Premium Hillside are the best if you ca...
2 Thank Michelle H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Location, location, location! The luxury cottages are spread on the hill overlooking the bay, top chefs offer fine dining and staff is friendly and free snorkling and sailing gear to discover the beautiful nature of the bay. Still remember the beach staff who served me with complimentary fresh fruits, lemon grass cold towel and eucalyptus spray. Top!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank DutchAdventurer
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Went in July can't remember if I did a review but have been looking at some of the negative comments and find it hard to agree. Yes some steps which can cause a problem for some people BUT it does tell you. The rooms are not slick boutique hotel rooms, but rooms which fit the surroundings, more colonial. We have a room up the hill (not at the top) with fantastic views and a great balcony which was used mostly in the evening. After an evening out you will come back to the beds turned back and incense burning to stop any Mosquitos. We found the staff really friendly and helpful. If you want phones, T.V and wifi in your room don't go. The resturants were all good, plenty of choice and beautifully cooked. What people need to do is read about the hotel, see what they offer, do the research. If I go back to St Lucia this is where I will stay. Thank you all at Anse Chastanet

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pat C
dallas
Reviewed September 24, 2013

1. The food is as good as many fine restaurants.
2. Service is spotty. For the most part all the staff are very friendly. They seemed to warm as the week went by. My main issue was the reception staff. We asked twice for a transformer which was never delivered. Asked about reservations to Jade for dinner which were basically ignored. A bill discrepancy took 30 minutes to finally resolve.
3. Room 2A had a great view when standing on the balcony. Room is virtually unusable from 10 am to 7pm., even with extra fan in room, due to the heat. And view could only be appreciated when standing as two chairs were below rail and not that comfortable anyway.
4. If I return it will be in a month with less humidity and only in a deluxe hillside room.
5. As I reread what I have just written it sounds as if I hated the trip. This is really not true. The beach is fantastic and the people who were staying there were delightful. I am sad that AC could be so much more with just a little work.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the setting sun are really hot.
2 Thank Lpierre
Ellijay, Georgia
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Rarely do I write reviews, but I have read several reviews on this resort that were less than perfect. I want to respond to them. This resort is not a "Sandals or "Beaches" type resort. It is a very intimate, nature based resort for adults and children over 12. And it only has 49 rooms!! We too took advantage of the fantastic offer that Caradonna Dive had on their site and were thrilled that we did! The review that Coral Reefer wrote on September 14 says it (almost) perfectly and we must have been there almost at the same time!!

"First of all- the staff in this resort are by far, the friendliest, genuine, accommodating and cheerful people we have ever encountered! You can obviously tell they loved their jobs and who they worked for! (Ask about the hats on the women who work in the retaurants)
The dive operation was excellent- easy access to your gear, easy set up and many great dives scheduled throughout the day so you don't feel rushed or hurried to be ready and go go go!
The dive boats are very convenient- well thought out design, easy on, easier off!!!
Diving the reefs were very nice easy dives, a few currents and the reefs themselves were very very healthy- corals were just beautiful! Not alot of big fish. There are many dives here which would be excellent for beginner divers to build their confidence! We really enjoyed the diving, and all the staff were great!!!" I would add --Superman and the Piton wall dives were BEAUTIFUL!!! And the dive shop has dive scheduled at 8:30, 10:30 and 2 pm, with 2 evening dives. I loved the schedule because you could go on the 10:30 and 2 pm dive and actually be relaxed and feel like you were on vacation!!!
"The rooms- this resort is simply beautiful, nice big airy rooms! I loved sitting out on the porch in the evenings! The rooms were kept immaculate, plenty of fresh towels and a great turndown service" I would add, our room already had the fan and we used it every night. But, this was not a surprise, you are in the Carribean and it clearly states that there is no air conditioning. Another comment about the rooms--it seems like a lot of people prefer the rooms that look directly at the ocean and high up--so when we were assigned 1B, I could have been disappointed. BUT, our room was not high up so we did not have to climb all of those steps, and in the late afternoon, we did not have to deal with the sun coming directly into our room-resulting in a hotter room. Our room cooled off fairly well. And from our balcony, we have a wonderful view of the Pitons and the Ocean. The first night I was worried that we would hear a lot of noise from the restaurants-but was pleasantly surprised that the only thing we heard was great music from the band performing in the reception area every night-it wasn't loud or annoying, just very pleasant and they stopped at 10 pm every night. We had an opportunity to change rooms latter in the week, but choose to stay where we were because it was perfect!
"Food- It was great!!!! The waterside grill served lunch and dinner and it was excellent!!! They offered an amazing grilled menu and then had a side restaurant that served Indian/ Caribbean that was our favorite. The upstairs restaurant served a nice menu of fresh caught fish and other fare and they also had many vegetarian dishes to offer as well! They also served a wonderful breakfast buffet! The desserts were epic!!! I highly recommend doing the meal plan with your stay!!! " I would add~~dinner in the lower TreeHouse was magnifcant!! The menu is the same as the upper TreeHouse at night, however, in the lower TreeHouse, there are only 8 couple tables with candlelight. Very romantic! And the TreeHouse dinner menu~~exquisite, 4 courses and every course, delicious! Our meal plan included breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner. It did not include "drinks" and at first I was upset because I didn't understand that from the explanation provided in the reservation conformation, but it was explained in your welcome meeting at the resort. All ice water is free, bottled water and other drinks are your expense (with our FAP plan) --and as it turns out, for us as divers, it was perfect-we needed all that water! I'd like to expand on the afternoon tea--from 3:30 to 5:30 at the Bar Grill next to the scuba shop. For divers coming back from the 2 pm dive, it was wonderful. You could have cold or hot tea, and a very nice choice of snacks from sweet snacks to hamburgers!
"This resort is perched on a rather steep hill, it took a few days of getting used to the hike and the resort has a car service that will pick you up and take you to the beachside level and back again. They were quick and we used them particularly on the hotter days!
It is a nature resort and this is a tropical island- there were many birds and I found them to be quite delightful- and they will fly up to you at breakfast and into your rooms!
The beach- was cozy and very private...as you walked over to the beautiful cushioned reclining beach loungers, you were greeted by the beach attendant who not only provided you with a big lush towel- but wiped clean your cushions of sand and set a new very comfortable terry cover over the cushions for you!!!! I loved this!!!!! Each two couch station was covered by a huge thatched roof to keep you cool. You can also order lunch and drinks to be delivered beachside.
Then, during the heat of the day- they give you a cool scented cloth and an icy!!!! I loved that too!!!!
We were lucky enough to encounter a nest of hawkbill sea turtle hatching during the resorts Tuesday evening beach party... it was late, several hatchlings were drawn to the bar lights so my husband and I, along with the staff and other guests all took part on collecting the babies and bringing them to the shore! What an amazing experience!!!!!
They have a beautiful spa on site, and an art gallery...many tours and excursions so you can stay as busy as you want!" I want to add, my husband had a massage on Monday and I had the "Summer Cooler" body wrap on Friday afternoon. Ladies, I would recommend this highly!!!!! It was heavenly! And the ladies of the spa are delightful!
Another experience that I'd like to share. Another couple tried all week to go out on the whale watching experience. Finally on Friday they got another couple to go with them. They said the first hour was sore of boring--but then came across a group of about 150 pilot whales. Several had JUST had babies (within hours) and the mother whales were on their backs with the babies on her stomach--then one of the mother's tried to teach the baby to swim! So even when it isn't peek whale season, you can see something amazing!
So I too give Anse Chastanet a well deserved rating of excellent and look forward to coming back soon!!!!

4 Thank JKC122
Nebraska
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in May for our "baby-moon" or the last vacation we will have for 18 years :)
I was 4 months pregnant at the time and had no issues with the heat, the stairs, the food, etc. Our room was outstanding, we had more space than we would ever need. The heat is pretty intense. We were there for 3 nights and 4 days and it was the perfect amount of time. Any longer and I am sure the charm would have worn off.
We loved both of the beaches and felt very secluded and did not have to share the space with a lot of other travelers. We got the half-board option so breakfast and dinner was included, which was ok for us because I wasn't able to drink. The drinks and food are very pricey, we definitely saved money with this option.
We arranged a transfer from the airport and the drive was unique and very steep, but our cab driver was great. It was quite an experience. We highly recommend taking advantage of the snorkel gear, the kayaks, and the Jungle Tour at Anse Mamin. We simply adored it.
The staff is great, the food is great.
Overall a once in a lifetime experience.

Room Tip: The beach rooms are a waste of time-the higher up on the hill, the better the view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NebraskaLandlocked
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

The good points from my holiday:

Beautiful location.
The staff were very friendly and did everything to make sure I had a good time.
My room was upgraded to 8A, which is a fantastic room (spacious, breezy, good fans, amazing view).
Made my birthday feel very special with champagne at breakfast and a cake delivered to my room in the evening.
A 1.5L bottle of water is replaced in the room daily at no additional cost, and a fruit plate was in the fridge on arrival.
The transfer to the airport was arranged perfectly, with no effort on my part.
The sea is clear and warm, really lovely for swimming.
The service on the beach is fantastic with very attentive staff, and they came round with free fruit kebabs which is a lovely touch; I was left in peace if I did not want anything.
Good efficient service in the restaurants.

The not-so-good points:

The food was pretty average, especially breakfast and lunch - I was disappointed, it resembled more stodgy fast food than high quality local dishes. Dinner was better.
The birds at breakfast flew in and drank from my glass, flew away with food from my plate and pooed on my table while I ate; more than once I was shown to a chair that was covered in it.
Two times I noticed male staff members peering into my room for no apparent reason, moving off when I went to the door. The rooms are not particularly private.

Other notes:

This is not a reflection of the hotel at all, but I'm just mentioning this as a heads up to people visiting the area for the first time. I took three different types of insect repellent and applied liberally but I was, apparently, still irresistible to the mosquitos here. I look like I've got chickenpox, and the last couple of days of my holiday were quite unpleasant from the many bites (close to 40 bites on my legs). If you know you are tasty to mosquitos come very well prepared. I resorted to wearing leggings in the 30+ degree heat to avoid getting any more bites as nothing else worked. I'm sure there's a business opportunity for me as a mozzie magnet!

I read in Trip Advisor reviews before my holiday to take travel sickness pills for the car ride from the airport to hotel - this was a valuable piece of advice! I'm not particularly prone to car sickness, but there are many bends on the 1-hour drive, so worth considering before you travel if you think you might be affected. The road up the hill to the hotel is very bumpy but it didn't feel unsafe at all.

Jungle noise - this didn't bother me at all and I've not rated sleep quality on it, but as the sun sets the noise from the jungle gets louder and louder (not sure what it is - cicadas, crickets?). If you are a light sleeper this might affect you, but I found it easy to ignore.

Overall it was a good holiday and the location is stunning, but I felt the hotel is overpriced and the food below par. I wouldn't consider returning myself.

Room Tip: I had room 8A which is excellent, very spacious, this is the highest room on the hill giving a terri...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank 542Mas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Anse Chastanet? Share your experiences!