“20th Anniversary Enjoyed in a Heavenly Room”
Review of Anse Chastanet

Anse Chastanet
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I just celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary at The Anse Chastenet. We first visited the hotel in 1992 for our honeymoon and stayed in 5C. 20 years later we splurged and stayed in 7C. WOW! Absolutely the best room on property. The room is large, has a terrific view for sunset and a wonderful area to enjoy breakfast. With the "No 4th Wall" we were able to sleep each night listening to the tree frogs and the island band music below. I have never been so at rest. Many past reviews had commented about moquitos. We did not have one bug bite while on the Anse Chastanet property. My husband, however had a couple of bites from going into town. We sprayed ourselves from then on if we went offsite around sunset and later.
The service staff is so spectacular. We just LOVE Monica (restaurant), Pamela (beach bar), Flora (Anse Mamin Beach), Michelle (Tree House) and also another Monica (from Registration - Jade Mountain).
The most spectulcar thing was the opportunity that Monica arranged for us to upgrade for one night to Jade Mountain. For FREE!! We packed our bags, they took them up for us and we were greeted by Teddy our Butler. It was just a spectacular "last evening" for us. They are really smart because now I am going to have to return so that I can experience Jade Mountain for an entire week! It is just that great. If you have the money - do it! The infinity pool in your room is unbelievable.
Both resorts are very special and I will always hold dear a place in my heart for the kind people that work there that make each visit so memorable.
If you are looking to go off property and dine I would strongly recommend La Haut. If you stop in ahead of time you can ask them to prepare lobster tail for you that is simply to die for! We ate their twice during our trip. We also really like Boucan. Very trendy and edgy food. Great play on using Chocolate.
A tour of the botanical gardens (just go on your own) is fantastic. It was Napleons gift to Josephine and the flora is outstanding.
St Lucia is difficult to get to, but worth the effort.

Room Tip: Any room with a 7 is great!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heidi V
Write a ReviewReviews (1,214)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lush tropical surroundings as it rains late at night not bothering sunny days. This resort in St Lucia, on West side where other resorts are, has fab sunsets. Staff, all friendly employees cant seem to do enough for you. At registration or info given at newcomers meeting next day. An hour from airport you go up & around the most twisty bumpy road but once at resort you want to stay there. ROOMS most built on hillside roomy & all decorated differently. No air condit but breeze or fans available. Owner built resort to fit into surroundings. So those who expect chrome/ glass modern or pretense might not appreciate. Lots of carved wood & art. We stay in one of 12 air condit rooms on beach level. Top floor has wrap around porch. All rooms have modern bathrooms, refrigerators & water, pop delivered etc as per your request.
STAIRS if in hillside rooms, some with grand views or balconies, there's a walk down many stairs to beach. You can take your time. You can also get ride on shuttle car up or down hill tho anytime just ask. Stairs have railings & are well lit at night. All part of the scene & good exercise.
SERVICE & RESTAURANTS you get subtle class & good food at 4 restaurants on site. Breakfast on very top, at Treetop. Room service available too. Lunch on beach level & Dinners at Treetop, a veggie restaurant at midway (where there is big bar, nightly music, & WIFI connection) Or on beach level at 2 places: Indian fusion or at Grille that has huge bar area. Both are beachside/water view. DRESS is casual. So nothing fancy really needed. Men can wear bermuda shorts to any dinner. With all inclusive everything & most wine & drinks included.
BEACH a dream as you get your towels & relax under your own thatch roof on comfy lounges. ( sun is brutal so you can stay under shade or move your lounge to get sun. Snorkling gear given for the Anse reef bays famous spots. Some boats come in with scuba & snorkling folks. Dock is at end of bay so your beach time is still fairly quiet. Water taxi on boat or short walk to other beach, for lunch or to hiking biking trails. Placing flagpole in sand & getting drinks & food on beach is fun.
SHOPS water taxi to Soufriee town but little there besides churches & locals. An hour away by car is Castries a bigger town. Cruise ship port with the usual shops. Nothing worth it for us. There are some local vendors on beach. Also scuba gear shop, a clothes shop & trinket shop with sundries & for things you forgot on beach level.
ACTIVITES biking trails, a tennis court on site. Many activities to try & can review & reserve at tour desk. Trips to nearby waterfall botanical gardens & volcano popular. Also boat tours, zip gliding & sunset cruises. Only about 50 rooms so not overcrowded. All ages including a few well behaved children but mostly adult couples & some cute honeymooners.

Room Tip: Be sure to read reviews about hillside rooms. We stay on beach level in air conditioned room.
2  Thank FrecklesD2
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at Anse Chastanet for a week with my husband; this was our first visit to St. Lucia and we were not disappointed. We took advantage of many of the activities and excursions offered by Anse Chastanet and found this a lovely way to spend the time -- a fun tour or walk in the morning followed by a relaxing afternoon on the beach. We loved being able to order lunch from our beach chairs and found the service to be surprisingly quick -- often someone would appear to take our order within a minute or so of our putting out our little flag.

We ate all our meals here -- meant to try to get out for a meal but never got around to it. The food for the most part was very good. Service in the restaurants was friendly and efficient.

I took a couple of yoga classes, which were wonderful -- their instructor is very skilled at tailoring the class to all levels.

A few small quibbles: The concierge tried a little too hard to upsell me to a much more expensive spa service than I wanted. She kept urging me to go for the most lengthy and expensive treatment, even though I was quite clear on what service I wanted to book. That was a little uncomfortable but I did get my way at last. My massage was excellent!

At breakfast, they bring you a bottle of water without being asked -- we assumed it was included in the breakfast (we had a meal plan) but it wasn’t. Not a big deal but something to be aware of if you’re trying to be mindful of keeping costs down. The tap water here is fine to drink, so there’s no need to add all those plastic bottles to St. Lucia’s garbage.

Overall this was a fantastic experience and I hope to return before too long.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Advised and organised through Travel Councillors and Janet are advisor got it just right for us - luxury but unpretentious. A lovely resort and fabulous rooms (beach de luxe) but made so special by the staff who couldnt do enough for us. Angel (guest relations and tours) Flora ( Anse Marim beach bar), Agnes (Aspara) , Kerwin (beach bar) made our stay. On day one Angel told us if their is an issue tell us so we can put it right. They did - minor issues only - sticking door key/ battery needing replacing in aircon remote - fixed in both cases within a couple of hours and sincere apologies both times. So worried were they always about us having a great time that Kerwin was concerned about me crying - over my book - and Flora concerned when my husband got my wine order wrong - his fault but where do you find bar staff that know you want Sauvignon not Pinot Grigio and remember every day.We were on all inclusive so price wasnt an issue they just wanted to get it right.Feedback would however suggest that they preview the Treetops restaurant menu in the morning as we didnt get our dining options right - should have eaten there more as it was so much better than the others but fitting in breakfast lunch and dinner meant we chose the lighter beach grill or Aspara perhaps once too often.The other exceptional thing about this resort are the two reefs straight off the beach - the main one best avoided between 11.00am and 3.00pm when the visitors come but the second too the left is better anyway and always quiet. Just take care entering the water after a storm and during rougher water - I got extreamely bruised and had cut feet from the stones being thrown and pummelled by the ocean waves - another suggestion to the hotel would be to advise guests on where the sand only entry is possible (towards the beach bar). However regardless of any negatives above a wonderful 9 days in paradise.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the beach deluxe room for the space, beachside location and aircon but as per the descrip...
1  Thank AlysonHill
Reviewed February 24, 2013

As stated by the previous review the children were an issue with us too. It clearly states no under 10's and we booked on that basis. There were infants amongst this group not borderline age. We queried this and were told that the booking had been made online and they were unaware of their ages, it was also illegal to turn them out of the resort. We were compensated by having the fee waived for a trip we took.

That apart, we had the most wonderful time, the food, service and resort were 1st class, as was the diving centre Scuba St Lucia. Having had major spinal surgery I am not able to carry or wear the tank until in the water and on every occasion they helped me with my kit , entries and exits. Beautiful diving, the coral is stunning.

I would go back in a heartbeat (excluding noisy children)

Room Tip: Room 2a superior hillside, not too far up the hill, wonderful views
Reviewed February 22, 2013

17 years ago I was in St Lucia on yacht that turned up to the AnseChastanet reef to go snorkelling . I looked down and could not believe how fantastic the fish were I looked up saw this hotel and decided one day I would return.
It says something of the impact of the location that the memory did not dim, and my wife and I booked in February 2013. The hotel is by itself on the end of a small road that probably starts with a 1in 5 gradient and then roughly levels out. There are no drops and the local 2 wheel drive vehicles have no problem. The area is spectacular because it mountainous and indeed the hotel is built on a small hillside surrounded by jungle. The whole complex is very green and secluded . It is without doubt one of the most visually stunning and romantic hotels you could ever go to. Forget music by the pool or satellite TV: this is a quiet hotel. There is however Wi-Fi in the main bar.
Which room you choose is very important. The ones one the beach are great for divers, but it is a bit difficult to get a view looking down when you are at sea level . Further up you get hillside views, slightly further up and you overlook the local hills and can see the Piton mountains. At the top is another even smaller sister complex, Jade Mountain, which has premium end rooms, views and prices. People I met staying there it was worth it and the rooms were that good you would not want to ever leave.
We stopped in Anse Chastanet room 7C, which had a huge balcony and views of the Pitons. We spent the whole holiday with big smiles every time we looked out from our room.
Anse Chastanet has only 49 rooms ( Mountain had 29) so it is indeed a very small hotel. There are four restaurants, two beaches and a large dive/activity centre. With so few rooms guests are easily spread around the complex and there are never any queues or problems finding a sunbed (and we went when the place was full).
There are something like 470 staff in total with 35 in the dive activity centre alone. The whole feel of the place is one of quality service , with the staff guest ratio being a clear differentiator . With that many staff they always have time for you, always engaging in conversation. The whole place oozes character. Guests who were strangers to each other would often strike up the ‘wow what a place this’ is conversation. I think the fact there is a trip of the 600 acres that make up the hotel and grounds that takes 2 ½ hours says it all about how much there is to see and explore
Back to the reef. The diving and snorkelling is absolutely world class, there are just so many fish on the reef , a few meters from the hotel. Many people I spoke to had –like me- visited the reef on a boat from elsewhere and then decided to stop at Anse Chastanet when next in St Lucia.
Whilst I am sure they may be better reefs go to , these would be very few- and are unlikely when you finish to have a sunbed and cold beer mere seconds away. They also put on a boat and guide for my wife and I to snorkel at ‘Superman’s Flight’ at the base of one of the pitons, and there are many other similar sites nearby.
Food, service, staff, location, reef all beyond excellent.
Ps go for the all-inclusive as pricey otherwise, and nowhere eat out unless taking a taxi.

Room Tip: understand some views face the Pitons and some the hillside. Have to pay more for the Piton views
2  Thank GuernseyDonkey11111
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at Anse Chastanet over Christmas. The hotel was wonderful, the rooms beautiful.
Staff was accommodating and professional. The food absolutely fabulous. The all inclusive was well worth it, since those Banana Daiquiris are to die for :)

We spent 3 days diving. The dive club was great. We got to see amazing sea life, lobsters, eels, crabs, sea turtles, and a giant octopus.

As other people have mentioned, the ONLY negative of this resort is that there are over 100 stairs from the beach to the room. That makes it a bit unfortunate if you went down to the beach and forgot something in the room. It does however make you feel a little better that you are burning off some of the insane amount of calories you are consuming during the stay :)

I would definitely go back. Amazing vacation.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Anse Chastanet? Share your experiences!