“Paradise”

GreenLeadersGold level
Witney, United Kingdom
“Paradise”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

No pool, no aircon, no tv, no telephones in the room, 125 steps to the beach (not counting the walk up the hill) - but just about the best hotel we have ever stayed at!

We stayed for two weeks all-inclusive in August and can truly say that the food we enjoyed at Anse Chastenet is the best hotel food we've had anywhere. I've had individual meals that were better, sure, but not consistently at this quality. With the three restaurants there's plenty of variety and that's not counting the lunchtime bbq beach grill at Anse Mamin that's also part of the deal. The staff are absolutely superb and go to every effort to make sure you have an enjoyable stay. The location is unbelievable, particularly at Jade Mountain (cocktails at sunset!), the beach is spotless (it's raked every morning) and the sea is beautiful, warm, safe and inviting - I'm still relishing the swim before breakfast on the last day!

If you can, get an all-inclusive deal so that you leave all your money worries behind - and then relax and make the most of your time in paradise. There's plenty to do plus a few freebee small excursions thrown in. I took a 6 dive package with the great outfit at Scuba St Lucia and saw a seahorse!

Before we went we were concerned that it may be too hot with no air-con, but our hillside room (it seemed more like a cottage) had no windows and two walls which were basically open with wooden slats so there was plenty of fresh air and the three ceiling fans helped keep us cool. You'll need ear-plugs though as the tree frogs and cicadas in the rainforest make a right din!

3 Thank Ducktees

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Our honeymoon was just as the title says .. paradise. Without rambling about how great we felt this trip was, I'll try to get into specific details for anyone thinking of this destination. My wife and I were so pleased the whole week about our decision to come here. We will certainly be making a return trip as soon as we can. It was so amazing and can't say enough great things about this resort and its staff.

So first some summary/setup. We came to Anse Chastanet on the Total Romance package which is all inclusive. I highly recommend this package as we did not have to spend a penny unless we wanted a specific bottle of wine or bought gifts in the shop. You do not have to pay for food or drinks (including alcohol) with this package, and you are given vouchers for various excursions / activities. I also believe that it can get pricy to go the "a-la-carte" route.

On the trip in, its roughly an hour and a half into the resort from Hewanorra airport. You are picked up by the resort and travel through Soufriere and by the Pitons. Not a bad drive for weaving through the terrain. At the very end you go off the pavement and onto more of a gravel road. This is bumpy, so if one has back problems this would be difficult. Overall, not a difficult trip at all to get to the resort which is tucked away in a remote location so a little work to get there is expected.

Upon arrival, you are greeted by a moist mint towel and refreshing local drink. The staff immediately begins to take care of you and they truly work to make your experience a great one. The resort is a sister resort to Jade Mountain and the two resorts share a private beach. The beach is well kept and the water is very clear. The resorts are situated on a hill and then the beach is at the base of that. The beach has huts all along it with chairs for you to lay out on. We had rain occasionally (it was August) during our stay. Honestly though it did not bother us. The scenery is just breathtaking and you can stay underneath the huts on the beach and remain dry. There were many days with sun so the rain was really no factor. It could rain for 20 minutes and then be gone.

The rooms were out of this world. We stayed in 14B, and this was also our first experience with the open room concept. Have to say I'm a big fan of the concept now after that week. It made the views outside unreal. Our room had one entire wall missing, which is slightly different than others that have the louvered windows all the way around in an octagonal shape. My recommendation for rooms in general are go as high as you can. The views just get better as you go up and the walk up becomes normal after the first couple times. To touch on the open concept again for anyone skeptical (I was), I can say that everything I worried about was not a problem. First I was concerned I would get too hot without any AC, and this was August. However the nights get cool enough and the breeze makes it quite comfortable. In addition you have a fan over your bed for extra air circulation. Second I was worried about bugs/critters for my wife, and she was fine with the random gecko that might be on the wall. Nothing crazy came in that was on the floor or in our bed. There is actually a net that goes around the bed which looks nice and keeps anything out at night. I will recommend bringing insect repellent and an after bite remedy. There is not a TV, but you won't miss it.

Touching quickly on the food I'll say it was great. There was a wide variety of cuisine and usually multiple options for meat. My wife and I enjoy trying new food so this was very fun for us. Meals were artfully done but very much full in flavor. We ate most nights at the Treehouse Restaurant.

Lastly the resorts's excursions are a great selling point as well. We were anxious to get to relax but wanted to have some things to do throughout the week. Included in the Total Romance package were multiple excursions which was great. Even if they weren't included I would recommend paying for them. You go only with those from either Anse Chastanet or Jade Mtn so the group is usually pretty small. One in particular we did that we really loved was a Jazzy Sunset cruise. There is a catamaran boat that takes you along the coast at sunset, and you sit on the upper deck and get to listen to a saxophonist accompany jazz music. Thank you to the crew that runs this we had a great time! As you come back to the resort at night they turned on more upbeat music and everyone is just dancing on the trip back and having a good time. So I would highly recommend this excurision.

Overall the trip was great, but obviously not for everyone. You have to be willing and wanting to remove yourself from technology and just enjoy the environment. You also need to be comfortable with the open room concept and walking up and down a hill. I will say they can provide shuttles though if you need. If you are looking for something that puts you into a lush jungle with great scenery and a spectacular beach this will go above and beyond your expectations. This resort is a unique place and if you enjoy a little adventure you will not be disappointed, even if it rains.

Room Tip: We stayed in 14B which had a wide view of the jungle hillside and the ocean. We were north west fac...
1 Thank Clay S
Southampton
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Great location but expect to pay OUTRAGEOUS amounts for ALL soft drinks even on half board. There's no information telling you that dinner only includes food, in fact a waiter told us at the start of our holiday that drinks were included. At $6 for every can of coke, over a week's holiday for 4 people we were rather shocked to be told at the end of the holiday that soft drinks weren't included in HB.

Another rip off - don't use the hotel's offer of a cab from the airport, the price again is OUTRAGEOUS. Use a local cab-it was literally half the price !!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FowlerSouthampton
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I read over a 100 reviews on this place before I finally decided on it. I thought I could provide a very thorough review to help others who may be in the place I once was.

First off, I never take the time to write reviews but I was so blown away by this place that I just felt the need to tell everyone.

We stayed for one week in a deluxe hillside room.
My fiance and I had a unforgettable experience at this place and would definitely pay the big bucks to do it all over again.

Rooms
The reviews are true there is no air conditioning in the rooms and they are more like rustic tree houses than hotel rooms. It took a little bit of getting use to but I feel like the room gives you an authentic experience. There are also no tvs. You are on vacation you don't need it. My fiance and I spend all our time at home watching tv this forced us to spend qaulity time together it was quite wonderful.

Exceptional!! I am a very picky eater and I did not have a single meal I did not enjoy. They had 5 resturants that had different menus every day our only regret is we didnt have enough time to try everything. When you go to the caribbean you expect mediocre buffet food at best. At anse chasanet everything is a la carte prepared fresh and every meal was like dining at a fine dining establishment. However, I think it's essential to pay the extra and get the all inclusive package as the meals seperatley would be quite pricey. As well, be weary of "caribbean time" I think coming from a big city you're use to service and food being very quick and efficient. They encourage you to slow down and take your time to really enjoy yourself.

The staff here at anse chastanet really know how to go above and beyond to meet your every need. I have a few points of service i'd love to share.
We somehow locked ourselves out of our bathroom at 3 in the morning they glady sent a handy man to our room 5 minutes later.
We also managed to lose our safe key on the beach. It would of costs $80US to drill the safe. We were quite distraught but 3 staff members raked the beach for an hour until they found it. If thats not service I don't know what is
I also mentioned to the chef that I loved the coconut macaroons they made, he couldnt get me any before I left (because they weren't made yet) but he had vaccum sealed fresh shredded coconut sent to my room so that I could make them myself at home!! These are some of the examples of the staff going so out of their way to accomodate us that made our stay so unforgettable.

The staff also perform turndown service twice a day. Once in the morning to freshen things up and make your bed and once again at night to layout the mosquito net and light the candles to keep the bugs away.
There is also full service on the beach. You lay in the cabana and just plant the provided flag in the sand when you need anything and an attenedant will glady bring you any drink or food you want that was one of our favourite features of this hotel!

Grounds
This resort is NOT a party hotel. If you want to go with a bunch of friends I recommend the sandals I hear they're awesome for that. This resort is definitely a honeymoon resort everything is set up for a romantic experience. From candle light dinner everynight with tables only set for twos.
There were amazing views of stars and they light up pathways on the beaches at night so you can go for romantic walks.
The beach itself is not that big compared to the bigger chain resorts i've been to but we never had a problem getting a cabana to lay in (cabana use is also free :)
Note:* there is no pool, but who needs a pool when you have the ocean?

Activities
The snorkeling along the beach is beautiful, if you can swim over to anse chasanets sister island you get to see giant sea turtles.

I've never been scuba diving before but I took thier very reasonably priced course. It was simple to understand and very straight forward I loved it so much I paid $40 extra and got an additional guided boat dive. Our tourguide was amazing he made a point to find things that we would have never seen otherwise.

I would also highly reccommend the walking tour of sourfriere them hotel offers for free every saturday morning. I love getting to know what carribbean islands are really like and I feel like you can only really do that when you step outside of the resort. Our guide was extremley knowledgable about the nature on the way and he's actually from the town of Soufrire as well so he was able to give us a very thorough tour of the town.

If you want a little bit of party during your stay I suggest the friday night fish fry. They take you to a neighbouring island where you can buy all the local foods and have a drunken good time.
tip: get your money exchanged at the hotel it'll be cheaper and easier because the locals usually priced things in their currency.

Additional notes:
There are loud tree frogs at night it was weird the first night but eventually we got use to the sound and actually missed it when we returned home. If you are a light sleeper you'll need earplugs.
There are also lots and lots of stairs. 105 from the lobby to the beach I counted one day out of curiousity.
If you're in reasonable shape you should be fine. After a few days you get use to them.
The hotel is located on top of a hill the ride from the airport was up twisting and riding roads followed by a very bumpy hill up to the actual hotel if you get motion sickness bring gravol.
I don't think this would be an appropriate family resort. Everything is catered to adult tastes.

I hope this review was helpful. If you are looking for a unique caribbean getaway but are tired of the cookie cutter places this is the place for you. If you enjoy gourment food and execptional service this is the place for you. Enjoy! :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank mkhuu
Lakeland, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Let me start by saying that this hotel isn't for everyone. The hotel is located in a rustic area, surrounded on all sides by jungle. There is no AC and no TVs in the rooms and with St. Lucia being so close to the equator it is going to be hot. Anyone that is unable to handle going up or down stairs on a daily basis should honestly look for another hotel.
That being said, my wife and I had an amazing time on our honeymoon here. The views are simply breathtaking, the snorkeling/scuba diving is world class, and the food was delicious. We opted for an all inclusive package which we would highly recommend to anyone staying at this resort. Having all of our food and beverages paid for in advance made for a stress free trip, especially when we saw how much our food would have cost at the end of each meal. With the beach area being such a great place to lunge for hours on end, having our mojitos and daiquiris (both were some of the best we’ve ever had) prepaid for was a huge plus because between the two of us we had over a 200$ a day bar bill. Again, can’t stress enough that I would go with the all inclusive food and drink packages.
The locals couldn’t have been any more friendly and hospitable during our stay. We expected this from the staff at the resort, who didn’t disappoint .Even the taxi drivers, tour guides, and local beach vendors fell into this category which was a pleasant surprise. We are already planning our next trip back to the island.
I would recommend anyone who was not put off by the first part of my review. In my opinion, everything this hotel has to offer far outweighs anything that it doesn’t. Our room, 7A had without a doubt one of the best views at the resort.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 7A, anyone considering one of the Hillside rooms should spend the extra money on u...
1 Thank Nathan S
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The lack of air-conditioning in the hillside rooms and the unbelievably loud frogs ALL NIGHT made it impossible to sleep. It was August and rainy season and it rained a lot. I didn't realize frogs get even louder when it rains! Scaling the hill to get back and forth from the room to the beach was a chore, but I suppose it was good exercise. This resort tries very hard to be "all that" and is very expensive. The grounds are beautiful, but the facilities seem a little run down. If you are not in the air-conditioned beach side rooms, there is no place to escape the heat except for The Spa, which was pricey but the therapists were well trained. Neither restaurant or bar is enclosed and the bugs feasted on me. This wasn't the vacation I thought it was going to be. At least my husband enjoyed the diving (I do not dive, but the snorkeling was very nice right off the beach).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Great service. Food excellent quality but menu god restrictive towards the end of the week.
We stayed in the beachfront rooms which were well worth the upgrade for convenience and Aircon. They are spacious and well furnished.
My wife checked out some of the hillside rooms and said they were looking a bit tired.
Diving and snorkeling was good and rental equipment well maintained and good quality.
The staff were uniformly friendly and helpful, although the Dive guides were less so than some places I have been

Room Tip: See comments on rooms above
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank radish20
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Anse Chastanet? Share your experiences!