“Paradise!!”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
New York
“Paradise!!”
Reviewed April 21, 2009

I researched a lot about St. Lucia and The Landings before our trip and it was everything great that I read about it. I honestly don't know if I will ever go to a nicer place. The staff was amazing and will do anything to make you happy. The Construction was no concern at all. We stayed on the second floor, beach front, and the room was amazing. The only downfall was that the palm trees blocked the view a little bit, but I think that if they weren't there then the patio would be too hot to sit on. The staff would come in twice a day to take care of the room and would try to plan it around a time when you were not in the room. I did read a couple negative comments before I went, but now that I went and saw it for myself, I would not believe any of it. We had 8 people with two rooms and everyone was amazed and extremely happy. No one could believe how nice the staff was. We look at the three bedroom and it was beautiful and would love to go back in stay in one.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
LandingsDirector, Director of Sales and Marketing at The Landings St. Lucia, responded to this review, June 29, 2009
I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at The Landings St. Lucia. We are extremely proud of the efforts our staff members make to ensure that our guests are satisfied. Our goal is to provide you with a home away from home to ensure that you can relax and unwind while on vacation. I am thrilled to hear that you were more than satisfied with your accommodations and on behalf of The Landings staff we look forward to hosting you at The Landings again soon. Thank you again for your positive review.

Cheers,

John MacMullen
Director of Sales and Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Alabama
Reviewed April 19, 2009

My family and I have traveled to a warm place for the past 11 spring breaks: Cancun, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, St. Thomas, Costa Rica . We arrived home last night from The Landings in St. Lucia and it was was great! This was one of the most beautiful and best places we have been. There is much discussion on this site about the construction going on and it was not an issue at all. It is across the "bay" and was not distracting in any way.

We had a ground floor, beach front two bedroom unit. It was perfect with a beautiful view of the beach and the surroundings.Our unit was wonderful, well appointed with a kitchen, washer and dryer and full maid services twice a day.The staff was friendly and helpful. The restuarant was really good and right on the beach.

We looked at a three bedroom unit for a furture trip and they were even better! We'll be back!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank FamilyTripAlabama
I am thrilled to hear that you had such a great experience at The Landings, especially coming from someone who has travelled all across the Caribbean. It is great to see that you were so pleased with your accommodations and I hope that you do come back to stay with us again soon. If you took any pictures of the sunset from anywhere throughout The Landings during your stay I invite you to submit them in our Landings Perfect Sunset Contest for a chance to win a complimentary two-night stay. Simply email your photo as an attachment along with your contact information to sunset@landingsstlucia.com for your chance to win. Thank you again for your positive remarks and we hope to see you at The Landings again soon.

Cheers,

John MacMullen
Director of Sales and Marketing
New York
Reviewed April 10, 2009

Without a doubt, the rooms and the property are beautiful, one of the nicest I have stayed at. The beach has amazing views and the beach front villa that became our home for a week was spacious and very comfortable. One of the best sleeps I have had away from my tempurpedic. Problem is you spend so much money to stay there that I was expecting more. With only one restaurant you are quite limited. A taxi is needed to get around, unless you are brave enough to rent a car. To get to the good restaurants we had to pay a $30 cab ride there and another $30 back, add that to the price of dinner and you may think spending the extra money for an all inclusive maybe worth it, especially when the buffet at the only restaurant in the resort is $40 and that does not even include soda or coffee. The spa is also crazy expensive. I have stayed at the best resorts in Cabo, Aruba, etc.... and this was the most I have ever spent on a spa treatment.
To sum up, the resort is beautiful, but think twice about how much additional money will be spent on food, etc...If I were to go back I would chose an all inclusive.

• Stayed April 2009
Guildford, Surrey eng
Reviewed March 23, 2009

Very belatedly, I am writing to say we had a lovely week at the Landings in August last year. The weather was lovely and the accomodation fantastic. We have three teenage kids who also all enjoyed it immensely. The only problem was that when we were there the speed boat was broken and we weren't able to use it for 5 days of our trip. Unfortuantely prior to going I had also managed to get a credit to spend $50 a day on actvities in the resort (check this summer they may be doing a family package again!). I wanted to use these on the water sports as it would give the boys something extra to do each day. Sadly it wasn't to be. We did however go on a fab trip out on speed boat down to the Pitons etc....well worth doing. Also the cost of the taxis into Rodney Bay from the hotel were exhorbitant and unreliable. Several didn't turn up at right time to pick us up from restaurants. Having mentioned these two gripes, it is definitely a great place to visit and the building works did not spoil it for us. In fact because of the building works we got a very good deal.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank arden
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 23, 2009

Nice large, very well furnished rooms. I had a two bedroom. Good part of the island and close to town. Service was good and food was good.

Not a bad place to stay, but nothing amazing about it.

Good for a family.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed February 24, 2009

The property was built in 2007 and some of the buildings are still under construction. That being said, it really didn't affect our stay there, we never heard the usual sounds of a construction project. Our room was private and right on the beach. We stayed in a three bedroom condo on the first floor beach front. We went with another couple and it was very roomy. It was a split follr plan- they stayed on one side and we stayed on the other. We both had access through the bedrooms to the large patio outside. We were glad we opted for the private jacuzzi. The kitchen was a good size and modern- we did meet the maintenance man though- some minor issues with appliances and the internet. All was resolved without a hassle. We did have to call and request coffee everyday for the room even though it was listed as one of the complementary items included in the $30 per day Resort Fee. The property is large, but they have golf carts to bring you around if needed. The downsides: Far from the sites- most of the sites are toward the south end of the island and cabs are VERY expensive. We were quoted $150 to get to the airport- we ended up at $120. Rodney Bay shopping is terrible, the restaurants we tried were lacking- service wasn't what we are accustomed to and the food was just OK. The boat transportation from the hotel is a $20 charge. The bars in Rodney Bay were empty on Saturday afternoon- in Ft Lauderdale they would be hopping. All in all it was a good trip. I would stay at The Landings if I planned on staying at or around the resort, be prepared to pay if you plan on leaving the property. The cab to Marigot Bay to go to dinner ran us $100 round trip. We paid $300 to climb Gros Piton when it was all said and done-2 people- $200 for the cab round trip, $60 for the entrance to the park, $40 tip. Rodney Bay is about $50 round trip. Positives: Beautiful facility, relaxing beach.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed February 6, 2009

My wife and I stayed at The Landings for a week in early June 2008 for our honeymoon. We had read some honest reports on this site before going, so we were not too surprised by the state of the building works once we arrived and we had found an excellent deal through Travelzoo.com. The resort complex itself is about an hour’s drive north of the international airport (it costs about $80US by taxi). If you are travelling from another Caribbean island (e.g. Puerto Rico) then you may land in Castries, which is significantly closer. The complex is more timeshare than hotel, and many, perhaps even most, of the units are owned by investors who share rental income with the resort when they are not using their units themselves.

We had a one-bedroom, groundfloor apartment facing the harbour, and across from us we could see the containers holding the building materials for the ongoing construction, but these had been hidden somewhat by a wood fence. The sight of construction materials may be disconcerting to some people paying ‘premium’ rates, and if you’re dropping loads of money to stay here before it’s completed then I would suggest renting a beachfront apartment which only has unobstructed views of the ocean. Thanks to this site and some member photographs we knew what to expect and so weren’t bothered. The apartment itself was top notch, with high quality furnishings and appointments, toiletries, fully-stocked kitchen (they’’ll stock the fridge before you arrive as well, if you are willing to pay for it), bath robes and slippers, flat screen TV and DVD player. In short, all the conveniences you could wish for.

June is the start of the rainy season (hence the deals) but we were very lucky with the weather. Some reviewers have complained about the mosquitoes. Yes, there were mosquitoes, but not so many that they would ruin your day. In fact, every evening an employee would fumigate the shrubs around the whole complex. The beach was superb and was rarely used. All beaches in St Lucia are public (as they should be), so the hotel has employees at the end of the beach towards the town of Gros Islet to dissuade locals from hanging around and to look after the equipment, and we were never harassed by anyone. Residents used to be able to walk along the beach all the way from Gros Islet to the nature reserve on Pigeon Point, but constructing The Landings’ artificial harbour put an end to that (in fact, there were some major negative environmental repercussions resulting from the construction which we only read about in the local media once we were down there) as its mouth bisects the beach.

One of the best aspects of The Landings is its location close to Pigeon Point, a nature reserve that used to be an island (Pigeon Island) but which was connected to the mainland by a causeway in the 70s. We walked there most days (it takes about 15 minutes) along the road that runs past the back of the Sandals resort that is next door. It’s awkward to walk along the beach (because of the building works and the harbour entrance) but it can be done if you skirt around the building site. No one but us seemed to do this, but you’ll be rewarded with a great look at a lagoon with hundreds of nesting birds (mainly egrets and herons). As I’ve mentioned birds, I might add the St. Lucia is a super spot for watching them, and The Landings is perfectly located in that respect with Pigeon Point being a prime spot. And each day we’d see many hummingbirds feeding from the hibiscus bushes around the hotel and next to our plungepool.

If you don’t hire a car then you’ll need to take a taxi or tour to see the rest of the island. The Landings has contracted with a local service that uses only Mercedes and BMWs – expect to be charged accordingly. They don’t seem too keen on your trying to find a cheaper tour yourself.

There was only one restaurant open while we were there, and it was too expensive for us to eat there every night, but they do a great breakfast. Groceries can be bought in a supermarket on the road to Rodney Bay, where you’ll also find banks and lots of restaurants (you must buy some excellent Bounty Rum and try the superb pineapples). A man (the ‘fruit man’) in a flag-bedecked boat putters through the coastal waters between Rodney Bay and Pigeon Point selling fresh fruit – just wave him in if you’re feeling hungry. The hotel apparently has a water taxi service to Rodney Bay, but it never seemed to be there when we needed it. Perhaps it now runs on a schedule.

The hotel staff were excellent and friendly, and they are clearly proud to be working at such a hotel. The spa is good, though unfinished and not always open. The beach is superb with excellent views.

Do go to Gros Islet and the Friday night Jump-up and eat some freshly-grilled conch with lime juice. This gets rowdier at the hours progress. It seems quite safe, but I’d recommend that families go earlier in the evening.

To sum up, I’d highly recommend The Landings, keeping in mind the provisos about the ongoing building work. If you’re paying top dollar, then you might like to pay exorbitant prices at a place that’s already finished. If you get a deal here, then go for it.

• Liked — Privacy
  • Disliked — building activity
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ajmToronto
I would like to thank you for your positive review of The Landings. It looks like you were able to get out and experience the island with your walks to Pigeon Point and your trip to Anse La Raye. The views from Pigeon Point are stunning and Anse La Raye always provides a fun and exciting cultural experience. As you mentioned The Landings is continuing their development through 2010. Although you noted that it effected your stay minimally, I am excited to inform you that since you stayed with us we have completed phase two of our development and we are well on our way towards completion of phase three. Thank you again for your positive remarks and I invite you to visit The Landings again soon to experience some of the new and exciting amenities that we now offer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gros Islet
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort

Been to The Landings St. Lucia? Share your experiences!