“Great location but...”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
Vancouver, Canada
“Great location but...”
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Well first off be prepared for about an hour and forty min taci ride from UVF.

Reception was very friendly and helpful and so was concierge when we booked our tour.

The gym is pretty decent for a resort gym.

Having a washer/dryer in my room was a definite bonus.

Breakfast buffet is great.

Tuesday bbq and entertainment with fire dancers was awesome.

But... There needs to be some major major training with the wait staff at the beach restaurant. They run around like chickens with their heads cut off. Quite often being asked various times by various staff the same questions to the point where it's annoying. The staff have no idea about specials in the evening and that's probably cause the person I assume is the food and beverage manager just stands around doing nothing and quite often I just see hom sitting down and eating. That restaurant has such great potential and the lack or organization just ruins the experience.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank SunandFunMexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Warlingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Pros
Good quality and spacious accommodation
Lovely beach which is great for children
Good staff at the Kids Club, our children really enjoyed it!

Cons
. The service is at best average and certainly not what I would expect from a 5 star hotel
. No consistency in service: some staff are very friendly and helpful whilst others rather unfriendly and unhelpful
. Food is reasonable but not memorable and certainly not 5 star
. Palms restaurant was good but incredibly expensive (USD600 for 2 courses for 4 people plus drinks) I would recommend eating in Rodney Bay where food and service is much better value.

. We were celebrating a double 40th Birthday and a friend from home had emailed the hotel in advance to arrange for champagne on our birthday; unfortunately we were only told about this by the Front Desk when checking out 3 days later!! No apology was offered.
No on-site shop for water, sun cream, kids beach toys etc. Why?

In summary, yes the accommodation is great but this is seriously let down by the service and food and in my experience this is a 4 star hotel selling itself as 5 star with prices to match!

We went as two families (inc. 4 young children) for two weeks over the Easter hols.

Room Tip: Would recommend beach front for lovely view. We had a 3 bed beach front close to the pool/bar etc. w...
1 Thank johnS37
Lyle P, General Manager at The Landings St. Lucia, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Thank you for your recent review and the nice comments about our villas and kids club. Sorry that we fell short on the service. Your comment about Palms is a concern. The price you state seems very high, unless of course, the wines were outstanding. Our food pricing is level with the pricing of similar restaurants in St. Lucia. Appetizers range from $14 to $21 and mains range from $21 to $38 I have shared your comments with our F&B Team and can assure you that we review all feedback with the strive to improve. Thank you again for staying with us. we look forward to welcoming you back.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I have just stayed here for a week over Easter with my 9 year old daughter.

The hotel/complex is located 5 min drive from Rodney Bay and is formed around one part marina / and a lovely large beach ....

The rooms are the deal breaker - our one bed apartments was huge all mod cons large bathroom kitchen dining area lounge utility room (I done all my washing!) and nice balcony, I had a 4 seater table and two loungers plus space on my balcony ...
Some of the larger 3+ beds have a small pool on the balcony.

Good food only 2 restaurants but one serve both a la carte and buffet every night and the other one is open a few nights a week - I didn't go although contrary to other reports it was open some nights - but it is in the reception area and most of the apartments are on the marina / Beach - a 5 minutes walk away, although they have golf buggys to get your around if you like.

Beach is nice big / long and plenty of beds - two pools not massive but good enough for families with shade etc -

Good gym - yes I used it! Lovely spa - very nice.

There is no real evening entertainment per se - there was a limbo beach/ bbq night and a couple nights there was live music but they are looking into changing that at the mo as there is a new Irish manager there ...

I loved this place if you are looking for luxury 5* accom / pools / food but don't want too much entertainment / families crowding them this is the perfect place.

Also we have been to other resorts at Easter / half term etc and it always feels (as expected) busy - this did not and the flow of service was what you would expect in the caribbean - its 30degrees there are not going to run to you - why ? its a holiday relax!!!

They will serve you at your sunbed on the beach and around the first pool which is just behind the restaurant and beach, the other pool is about a 3 minute walk away so not far to come.

I did all-inclusive but you can do bb / hb etc and the food is reasonable priced.

We has a very pleasant stay and anything that was addressed was solved easily.

There is a kids club wuth a full timeable at USD5 an hour - my daughter aged 9 enjoyed it.

only minus point - no shop.

Room Tip: all rooms are good!
2 Thank shanedy t
Thank you for your review and for your great comments about our villa suites. Thank you also for noting that Easter is extremely busy and that you still felt the service was attentive. Thank you also for noting that anything that was addressed was solved easily. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Sag Harbor, New York
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I REALLY wanted to love this resort. After reading all the reviews and repeatedly checking the resort website, I couldn't imagine how this resort could get anything less than a 5 rating. I gave it a 3 because half points aren't allowed, it's in reality probably a 3 1/2; 3 during high season, 4 during low season.
Pros:
SPACIOUS rooms, beyond spacious living/sleeping/dining spaces. Traveling with kids, this is awesome!
Food was actually pretty good, other reviewers had said the breakfast buffet was like Embassy Suites. It's better; is it amazing? No, but the fruit was fresh and delicious, there's an omelet station, 2 types of juice, a few types of cereal and milk, several pastries, muffins, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and either french toast or pancakes every day.
Grounds are clean and tidy. No garbage, etc.

Cons:
Pools are small, very small. 2 of the pools are probably smaller than what people have in their backyard. I was shocked by this.
Service depends on who you are. I saw that some patrons received much better service, more attention to detail and personalization than others. This happened at the restaurant, beach, etc.
Beach is TINY. We live 5 minutes from the ocean, so its something we really enjoy. I do NOT enjoy sitting on top of people and this beach is TINY.
Not enough umbrellas anywhere on the resort. One day, the pool closest to our room had no umbrellas. How this is possible is beyond me but I find that unacceptable.
All of the beach chairs were "reserved" by 7am, every single day. However, no one was actually sitting in these chairs, they were just always reserved. I overheard patrons confirming with the staff that they had "reserved" the chairs they really wanted but then no one was ever using them. I find this policy ridiculous. If a chair is not in use for a period of time, allow another patron to use it.
The resort allows locals to come and sell items on the beach; jet skis, tubing rides, random people braiding hair or making pieces out of folded palm pieces (that then expect tips when they force the item on you). It is not relaxing when someone comes up and offers services while I'm reading my book.
Several areas of the resort needed a face lift; paint was worn, tiles missing in pool, plunge pool etc.
The walkways in the resort are not common (i.e. you can't walk on the sidewalks between the buildings to the beach or restaurant, you have to walk out to the road which is frequented with quickly moving golf carts and some cars).
During one of our meals at the beach club, we were asked two times to leave because they needed to seat more people. This was a dinner for which we had made a reservation and were paying for! We had only been dining for approx. an hour the first time we were asked and there was still food on the table. I found this practice extremely rude, but it became clear that the resort and staff is not equipped to deal when they are at or close to capacity.

Overall, I had high expectations for this resort, I didn't know it was next to a public beach, which means one side of the resort is a cement wall (we had a lovely view of that wall from our front balcony). Also, there's no where to really walk, the beach has guards at both ends and if you go beyond those guards, you come to Sandals which also has guards. Frequenting guards on the beach makes me a bit uncomfortable, especially when they were still allowing people to come and sell things on our beach.

The reserving of the beach chairs every day was the most irritating practice of all. If someone is using a space, obviously it's taken but whey have TONS of chairs with no one using them and other people forced to sit away from the beach or without an umbrella, that's rude. I have two children I want to be able to watch while they swim or have some sand in front of them to dig in and when you're forced to sit further back, it's not luxurious and definitely not a 5 rating. There are no lifeguards at any of the pools or beach (it didn't matter to us but I feel that's worth noting).

It became more clear as our trip went on that the resort is not capable of handling high occupancy. We started our trip during a relatively quiet time and ended during a high point. At the resort got busier, it just got worse (not enough chairs, not enough umbrellas, no towels, waiting for LONG periods of time for breakfast, etc.)

During one of our dinners (it was a beach BBQ buffet) I asked before we sat down if we could also order off the regular menu, I was told no. A couple came after us, sat down at their "regular reserved table" and ordered off the regular menu. Again, different service for different patrons. Several times we attempted to order from the Beach Club restaurant and we were either given the wrong menu or something wasn't allowed to be ordered that day, or the night they just completely changed our order when it was room service (by this time in our trip, I had no expectations, so I didn't even argue with what they brought).

KIDS CLUB: our package included the kids club (nice perk right?) They don't take children unless they are 4 years old. We didn't have any intention of using the club anyway but I felt like that should have been disclosed on the website or with our package. A staff member approached my daughter (a tall 3 1/2 year old) and asked her to join and then asked me how old she was, when I said 3 1/2 she replied "oh sorry, must be 4" but to be honest, I don't know what the kids club does, the woman I saw, sat on the side of the pool while a few swam. Maybe there's a craft room or something, but other than that we saw no child group activities (and we were at the pool or beach every day, almost all day long).

Room Tip: Buildings 11 & 10 are farther from the pool or beach.
5 Thank Amy_M06
Thank you for your review and for staying with us this Easter. Thank you also for your great comments about our villas and food. It was a bit of a surprise to hear your comment that our pools are small and our beach is tiny. The pools were very busy during the time you were here. At no time are we ever short of loungers, water, sun and shade. We have 300+ loungers along our 800 foot beach and around our three pools. Sorry that you weren't satisfied with our offerings. Our website and any search will show that our beach is the very best on our lovely island. Sorry about the Beach Club service. I have shared this with our team and you can be sure that this will be addressed. Sorry that we fell short of your expectation. Thank you again for staying with us at The Landings and we hope that your stay still leaves you with good feelings about us and our lovely St. Lucia.
Berkshire
Reviewed April 22, 2014

The Landings is situated in the north of the island, so I would highly recommend a helicopter transfer from the airport. It's wonderful to see the island from the air, and it's so much quicker than driving.

The accommodation at The Landings is extremely nice. We were allocated a very spacious two bedroom marina view apartment that was clean, modern and equipped with a high standard of fixtures and fittings. We also had an outdoor plunge pool, which was very nice.

My only grumble about the accommodation is the lack of temperature control in the shower. The water was always luke warm at best. There is an abundance of towels in the apartment - large, small and flannel size. They are good quality and feel new.

The maid service is very good, and the staff who service the rooms are very friendly and do a good job. However their timings are erratic. You never know when to expect them.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the lack of on site shop is disappointing and inexplicable. I can't understand why The Landings doesn't have one. I've never been to a holiday resort that hasn't had at least one on site shop.

There is free Wi-Fi available throughout resort, but it is hit and miss. It is quite good in certain areas, but pretty poor in others. It is good to have it, but it could definitely be improved.

There is a distinct lack of restaurants at The Landings. The Palm (fine dining) is only open twice, or sometimes three times a week for dinner, so that means there is only one restaurant for all three meals (the Beach Club). An additional restaurant or two and a dedicated bar area would be beneficial.

One of my favourite things to have on holiday are cocktails and I enjoyed many during my stay. However, the downside each evening was that not all staff are aware of happy hour and it's a constant battle to get the correct bill. Very frustrating night after night.

Like other reviewers, we experienced extremely slow (or non existent) service at beach club restaurant each day. On one occasion we waited 20 minutes for our drinks after sitting down for dinner (after the first waitress walked away mid drinks order!) then 30 more minutes for the food to arrive. The sweet potato fries that were meant to accompany our steak were brought at the end of the meal. Not great service, but at least the food was nice.

Each day it was a struggle to get served at the bar, even when there was no queue. It is common practise to be completely ignored for at least 10 to 15 minutes, or perhaps even longer. It is very annoying to be given such poor service, day in, day out.

There are plenty of sun beds on the beach but it feels quite cramped and packed in unless you go right to the end of the beach. The loungers are comfortable.

There is a good beach towel service. No need to wait or to give your room number. Towels always available, and as many as you need. The station is always manned.

The beach service for drinks feels almost non existent. I had to get my own almost every day. On a few occasions towards the end of the holiday we were able to order drinks on the beach. It would've been lovely if we could have had this opportunity every day, several times a day.

A service charge of 10% is automatically added to all bills. I think this is rather ridiculous as the service doesn't warrant this. As previously mentioned, it is very hit and miss and often extremely slow or non existent.

Room service is good and the menu is fine. It normally takes around 40 minutes for the food to be delivered. There is a $10 delivery charge, and a 10% service charge. Surely it should be one or the other? Either way, it was good to have this option as it was nice to eat on our balcony on a few occasions.

The food itself is quite nice at The Landings but I do believe the Beach club is more suited to a 3 or 4 star property. As mentioned previously the service really is a major issue here.

The hotel does not provide Do Not Disturb signs, so you need to double lock your door if you don't want to be disturbed. The maid service respects this but the men who tend to the plunge pools do not. I think DND's would be useful.

Overall, we throughly enjoyed our time in St Lucia, but I'd struggle to recommend The Landings until there are some serious improvements in the service. Several other reviewers feel the same, so it's not just me being high maintenance!

I've stayed in lots of nice resorts and I'd include The Landings in this list, but improvements definitely could be made to truly make it worthy of its 5 star rating.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Queneth_Veneth
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The one bedroom apartment we stayed in at The Landings was stunning; one of the largest and best appointed accommodation I've stayed in. The kitchen was very well fitted out, including kettle and coffee maker and would be excellent if you wanted to self cater. The only down side was that our tea and coffee was replenished randomly with no attention paid to what we actually used, meaning that every day we had to call reception for what we needed.

This less than perfect organisation was most evident in the restaurant. As other reviewers have suggested, it was just not up to the job of coping with the number of people using it. We had to queue for virtually every meal, even when we had booked, and this is just not good enough for a resort aiming to be 5 star. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the food very good but the dining experience was marred by the poor management. Chatting to the staff it became clear that they knew that at certain times there would be queues, so the problem is obviously a result of under staffing and lack of space. A resort if this size really needs a choice of two or three restaurants for lunch and dinner, especially as The Landings is quite remote and you do not have the choice of going out of the resort to eat.

The food itself was very good and varied but let down by the organisation.

Poor organisation was evident in other areas too. On two occasions the beach towels ran out and on most days there was a shortage of beach umbrellas. In both instances the staff rushed about trying to resolve the situation by bringing towels onto the beach for us and bringing in a van load of parasols, presumably from store. However in a 5 star resort such things should not happen.

The beach itself was lovely and the swimming idyllic but shade was hard to find. I would suggest that the provision of the loungers with individual,adjustable canopies used in other resorts would be a good solution to this. There was also an annoying habit of huge numbers of loungers being reserved by towels, often with no one returning to them.

This resort seemed to be entirely visited by families so I would not necessarily recommend it for couples or those wishing to relax away from children. Most evenings, every table in the restaurant contained children, albeit generally we'll behave ones!

This resort has the potential to be excellent but the management and organisation still need some work.

Room Tip: Make sure you are on the side of the hotel near the beach and restaurant.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank JaneChrisKierst
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The Landings is a top notch resort with very beautiful rooms and fantastic access to the beach. You are 15 mins away from Rodney Bay and 30 mins from the bigger town of Castries. The family loved the rooms (we rented a 3rd floor 3 bedroom) and the staff was very nice and professional. The resort is an easy 4 star but could easily be a 5 star with some of the following changes:

1) Get much better wait staff that the restaurant. There are two restaurants on site (The Beach Front and the Palms). The Palms was rarely open and when it was, it was never really busy. We did not get a chance to eat there so our focus is on the Beach Front. The food was solid but good lord was the staff unbelievably slow! The first night we thought it was a fluke but by the second night, it quickly became apparent that the slow service (or even no service!) was the norm. We heard the comments and complaints from other visitors as well. I think the staff thinks we just came for the buffet and showed they could care less about our well being. No immediate approach for drink orders. Definitely no follow up on second drinks. We barely got water at times. Good luck if ordering off the menu. It will take 17 weeks before your pasta dish arrives. The service was so poor that we were ready to walk out on day 2. Ultimately, we had to go into Rodney Bay for decent service.

2) No service on the beach! What a missed opportunity. They did not have consistent servers for the beachfront even though their name is ironically The Beachfront. They could have sold us chips and salsa, drinks, etc. Noting. Absolutely nothing until our 4th day when we miraculously found a server who took 45 mins for 2 beers and chips/salsa.

3) No onsite store for anything. You had to catch a cab ride to Rodney Bay (15 mins one way) for any goods. It would have been nice to have a small shop for the basics. This is especially true if you arrive on Sunday afternoon when all stores close around 4pm.

4) No movie rentals in the room. We have two kids and it would have been nice to rent them movies in the evening.

5) No cash machine (ATM) on site. You will run through cash quickly and will have to replenish during your stay unless you bring close to $1,000 in USD for spending money. Unfortunately, you will have to go into Rodney Bay for any bank.

We really likes the Landings and they did a great job of helping us set up our events. Although the taxi service was expensive, they were always on time and never failed us on the return trip. We are strongly considering returning next year.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank baoho22
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to The Landings St. Lucia? Share your experiences!