“St.Lucia Jazz fest”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
Toronto, Canada
“St.Lucia Jazz fest”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is a pretty late review since we were there in May of this year. Better late than never, right! lol St.Lucia i a beautiful island that has its own charm.
The landings is a great resort, we were upgraded to the 2 bedroom suite which was huge for just us 2. Nice spacious and clean. The suite backs onto a gorgeous Marina, which we found to be a great change of view... something different. it also has a private plunge pool(awesome & heated)
The beach is beautiful and has a great view. They offer bar service on the beach as well.
The restaurant was great for breakfast and lunch we found there were too many mosquitos during dinner to enjoy our meal comfortably but it was no biggie because they delivered our meal to our suite.
Every Friday there is a street party at Gros Islet which was fun and a great expereince, recommended.
We were there during the Jazz festival so the island was abuzz with events and music!
The Jacksons we actually staying here. Surprised!!
We also did a private boat tour with Mike who you can find on the beach, he was very helpful in organizing a custom tour for us due to the accessibility issues we often face we havent been on many. He was great and took us right from the beach on his little boat (private and nice for couples) we went around to Marigot Bay, the bat caves, saw the pitons and had lunch at petite piton restaurant. Than we drove to the volcano and sulfer springs from there.
All in all we felt very safe and at ease. Resort was accessible, just had to cross a patch of grass to get to the beach but its cut very low so not too bad depending on your level of mobility.
Great resort, we would recommend it.

Room Tip: Cant really go wrong.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed at The Landings for 10 days in September. Nice property. The room was a condo apartment with all amenities. The cleaning was OK, but I think they need to pay attention to details a bit more..this is why I did not give it 5 stars. There are 2 restaurants and both were great, although the fancy one (the Palms) was not open every night. The staff was very friendly and professional. A special thank you to Trisha, Selma and Tim...wonderful wait staff who made us feel very comfortable and happy!!!

Room Tip: A washer dryer combo was in the room. You don't need to pack as much !!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 731elaines
Washington DC
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I always use TripAdvisor's reviews when I book my hotels, but I never post reviews myself. However, I enjoyed my week-long stay (Sept. 2013) in St. Lucia and The Landings so much, that I felt obligated to share my experience.

My wife and I chose St. Lucia because we did not want to go to places that everyone goes (DR, Mexico, Bahamas, etc.). We also like the intrigue of having rainforest, and mountains in addition to just the beach. Admittedly, Costa Rica was our first choice, but September is their rainy season, so we honed in on St. Lucia.

Originally, we were looking at several resorts, but were not sold on them for various reasons: Sandals (too busy)...Ladera (expensive and not next to the beach)...and others just were not measuring up to our standards for honeymoon quality. Then, one day we saw an all-inclusive deal for The Landings on Living Social. I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and compared the price to other resorts. I even called the resort and asked a few questions before buying the Living Social.

Upon arrival, a gentleman offered us some rum punch drinks while we checked-in. They were good and strong. Good start. The check-in was smooth. The only glitch was when the girl told us that only breakfast was complimentary, but my wife corrected her that we had the Living Social all-inclusive. I had given my Living Social information to the resort months prior to my arrival, but I guess no one noted it on my reservation. So, I showed the girl my confirmation number and all was well.

Room.....We stayed in suite 713, and we were driven to our room on a golf cart. The gentleman helped us with our luggage and highlighted some things about the resort. I had told them ahead of time that it was our honeymoon, so there was a bottle of champagne waiting for us. Our suite was really nice, clean and well-appointed. The suite is 2br (one king bed, and two twins in the other), 2.5 bathrooms with great showers, and full kitchens, living rooms, patios, decks, and dining areas. Umbrellas were in a closet, but we didn't use them. The washer/dryer were really nice and they had laundry detergent free of use. This allowed us to pack light and wash our clothes throughout the week. The resort is very quiet, which was great for our honeymoon.

Food.......The food at the resort was good! They have two restaurants: Beach Club and The Palms. Since we had the all-inclusive we tried just about everything on the menu. I need them to give me the recipe for their banana bread and "bakes" they serve for breakfast ASAP! Lunch and dinner were also very good. The Palms is their "nicer" restaurant and it's only open on certain nights. The food there was really good. My wife's beef tenderloin was so good, that we both ordered it the second time we ate there. On Friday's the Beach Club has a Jazz happy hour, with a sax player and a different food menu, which was great. The drinks were very tasty (favorites were the Love Triangle and Halle Berry). But I don't think they put much liquor in them based on the quantity of drinks I drank and was still able to not be drunk. However, I never asked them to make them stronger, since my goal wasn't to get drunk anyways. As other's have noted, there were three cats that have come to live on the property and would come and beg for food. They were a little annoying, and they really should get rid of them, since they bill The Landings as a luxury resort.

Service......The service we received was great. In particular, Selma, Ophelia, Aline, and Trisha helped to make our trip even more special. They were always attentive and we struck up great conversations and they gave us suggestions about the resort and island. Everywhere we went, anyone we walked past who worked for the resort would stop whatever they were doing and say "Good morning/afternoon/evening". One knock on the level of service has less to do with the staff and more to do with the managers. PLEASE TRAIN THE STAFF TO DISPENSE ACCURATE INFORMATION. One person tells us that Lobster isn't included in the all-inclusive, then someone else says that it is. So, I had them check with their manager, and they came back and said that it wasn't included afterall. If I had listened to them, each lobster meal was $62. We also did not know that premium liquor was not included, until after we ordered two drinks. There were a few other instances where we were given information by someone, only to find out that it wasn't accurate. So, overall the service is great, but management can make it even better by training the staff in this area.

Beach/gym/spa, etc....The beach was perfect. The resort is not overly busy, so it felt like you were at the beach and in your own little world (vs Sandals with tons of people everywhere). The water was warm and blue and the sand was white. I used the gym twice and I was pleased with it's quality. The gym is much better than gyms I have seen in most hotels. Our living social deal came with a $100 spa credit, so we booked two 50-min couple massages. The massages were a bit expensive ($120 each). I live in expensive Washington DC, and massages at upscale places are less than The Landings. We both enjoyed the massages, and the ladies there were nice as well. There are two pool right outside of 713, and we were the only ones there whenever we went. So it was nice to have the pool all to ourselves in paradise.

Overall, I have already recommended The Landings and St. Lucia to others already. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. Hopefully, they see my review and get rid of the cats and train the staff to give better information. Then, it'd be just about perfect.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SteelCityDub
Lyle P, General Manager at The Landings St. Lucia, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
What a great review. thank you so much. thank you especially for selecting us for your Honeymoon. we hope that you will come back EVERY year! We are also absolutely thrilled that you selected the all-inclusive and it was just right for you. Thank you again for the detail in your review. we always share and learn. All the best from your new friends at The Landings.
Vienna
Reviewed September 24, 2013

i would like to tell how beautiful it is there in "The Landings", but now i just feel tricked by this hotel. At the day of departure they tried to charge for breakfest, which was actually included and they charged restaurant bills twice. Also they wanted that i payfor taxes that also were included in total price. Even if i showed them my booking confirmation with all details on it.
After 1 hour at the receptiondesk and a waiting airporttaxi, they told me that i not have to worry, there must be an mistake and they are going to solve this.
Now, 2 month later they charge 900 usd from my Visacard.
I tried to contact them a few times via email - but no response at all !
On my researches i found out that i`m not the only one with this kind of problem....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Sonia K
Lyle P, General Manager at The Landings St. Lucia, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Sorry for the frustration we caused. Please e-mail me and I will personally handle the correction.
lpauls@landingsstlucia.com
Best regards,
Lyle Pauls
Tobago
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed at The landings for 7 nights from the 4th/08/13......I must say i was very impressed and wouldn't have done it any other way for my 1st vacation away from home. The staff i came into contact with were very polite, professional and very courteous. From check in to check out i felt very special and right at home. On arrival was greeted and checked in very promptly and was driven to my room in a small cart. On arrival to my room i was given a brief tour and left to settle in.. It was very pleased, it was more than i could have asked for. It was a ground floor, two bedroom harbor view, just behind the beach front block, steps away from the pool and beach club restaurant. In the afternoon the sound of crickets could be heard all around, a sound i hadn't heard in a while, it was so serene and peaceful. I was able to meet one of the hotels cat, my companion named Lucia, on the beach i saw the man who came in every morning to sell fruits, which we didn't have need to purchase as the hotel offered fruits at breakfast. The tall elderly guy who made ornaments with wire for the guests. He is not attached to the institution, just wonders on the beach. The breakfast was great but one can get tired after eating in after a week. however i did enjoy breakfast at the beach club. The landings was everything i hoped for and all the good things i read about. Security was good as they were found at the front gate and on the boarders of the beach we were able to meet them one after noon we decided to walk back to the hotel from the village. Perfect getaway as my companion and i didn't feel the need to go out as we had every thing we needed. Thanks to the staff at the front desk Jesse,Corina, Ravi and others. House keeping Sophie and Marie. The restaurant Ophelia and others. Definitely will return some time in the future.... Maybe for a wedding.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lyle P, General Manager at The Landings St. Lucia, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
We think it is wonderful that you experienced St. Lucia on so many levels. "FRUIT MAN" is a staple in our every day. The few Artisans who come to our beach are never disruptive and exceedingly respectful of everyone's privacy. Thank you also for mentioning several of our associates. St. Lucians are among the most wonderful people in the Caribbean. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
North Plainfield, New Jersey
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife, 2 children and I stayed at The Landings resort from August 24th through August 31, 2012. We took a St. Lucian licensed taxi from the airport to the resort which took 1 hour 45 minutes and was charged a fare of $90US. The taxi stopped at the supermarket in Rodney Bay on the way so that we could load up with groceries before we entered the resort. Upon entering the resort, we were warmly greeted and received fruit punch drinks while registering with the resort. My family was assigned Room # 203 which was a 2BR/3 bathroom (1 full, 1 shower only and 1 half bath) ground level beachfront villa. The villa was spacious, luxurious and modern with 3 televisions, dvd player, radio, full kitchen (including plates/flatware), dining area, walk-in closet, laundry machines, patio and jacuzzi. Unfortunately, there is no wifi in the villa. The resort does provides free laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent and there are 2 umbrellas in the closet so you do not need to bring these things. The resort does not provide toothpaste. My wife called the front desk because she thought she forgot to bring toothpaste and was told the resort does not provide it and does not have a shop on the premises. The beach which was just a few steps from the patio was fine, the water was calm/transparent and chairs/umbrella were easy to secure. The resort provides a free shuttle 3 times a day to Rodney Bay so you can explore without cost and purchase items to bring back to the villa. The resort is also within walking distance of Pigeon Island Park so you can also explore this site without spending money on a taxi. The resort also included a free full breakfast during the length of our stay which helped with costs. Despite the above, I must give The Landing resort a mediocre rating due to a lack of caring, poor service and lack of professionalism among some of the staff which I've detailed below.

The Beach Bar restaurant at the resort was the location for the free breakfast buffet each day. We are a party of 4, but the waitress always brought us to a table with only 2 place settings and only 1 or 2 seat cushions. The waitress would then start walking away and we would have to ask her to provide seat cushions for all of us. This produced a slight rolling of the eyes or a smirk from the waitress which we noticed and it was rude. The restaurant also has a lot of flies in the dining area. This is an outdoor restaurant and you can expect some insects, but there are a LOT OF FLIES at this restaurant. The flies are already hovering over the table BEFORE you sit down to eat. There were so many flies hovering over some tables that it literally looked like a ball of flies just waiting for you to sit down. You couldn't comfortably enjoy eating your food and having a conversation because you are constantly waving flies from your food. We would sometimes ask for another table than the one presented because there were too many flies on the table. We were rewarded with "eye rolling" and then brought to another table. Poor service. There was also A BIRD EATING THE FRUIT THAT WAS OFFERED AT THE BREAKFAST BUFFET. The restaurant staff did not make any efforts to wave away the bird that was in PLAIN VIEW. One guest at another table just laughed as I got up and waved at the bird after taking a picture. It's not my job to wave birds away from the buffet food, it should be the job of the restaurant staff. There are 3 cats that roam this restaurant during breakfast. The cat or cats will come to your table and rub against your leg while meowing for some food. Someone placed a saucer of milk on the floor near one of the tables occupied by guests and the cats lapped it up. If you have no issues with cats or allergies, fine. If you do, this restaurant is not for you. The resort imposes a mandatory 10% service charge when you eat at this restaurant. It is at your discretion if you want to provide an additional tip. If a waitress was nice to us at breakfast, we left an additional tip. If the waitress provided poor service, we left no additional tip.

There were some issues with the housekeeping. I was wondering how mosquitos was getting into the unit despite the windows and doors being closed tight. We went to our villa after breakfast one day and saw the front door left wide open and housekeeping working inside. Housekeeping didn't notice us entering the villa and we could have easily entered the bedrooms and taken items out of the room without housekeeping knowing anything. Housekeeping also left the sliding patio doors open while they were cleaning the patio. We asked housekeeping to keep the doors closed while they cleaned the unit and the next day we came back to our villa after breakfast and found the doors left open again. Later that evening, my children saw a gekko running around their room. We also asked housekeeping to replace the seat cushions for the patio chaise lounge because we recently noticed that it was full of mold and mildew. Housekeeping removed the moldy cushion, but did not bring a replacement. The next day I went into the hallway closet looking for something and found the moldy cushion inside the hallway closet. Housekeeping took the cushion full of mold from outside and placed it in the unit, let us think the cushion was removed and did not provide a replacement cushion. I demanded that housekeeping remove the moldy cushion (which they did), but they told us that there wasn't another cushion available for us. That statement did not ring true to us and housekeeping didn't care that they place a moldy cushion inside the unit for all of us to be exposed to.

We also had an issue with the groundkeepers that were working around our villa. We couldn't enjoy using the patio for over an hour because the groundskeepers were doing landscaping work and using our patio as a staging area to bag debris. We waited and waited and noticed that the groundskeepers were NOT WORKING. They were inviting people from the beach onto the landscaped area around our patio so that they could provide coconuts or calabash for them to drink that they cut open with a machete. Meanwhile, in the front of the villa, a groundskeeper was working (or appeared to be working) on a landscaping night light. I say "appeared to be working" because he left his tools spread out all over the front of our villa, but he was no where to be found. My wife called the front desk and asked the name of the owner of the resort and the email address for the owner or the company that owned the resort so we can email a written complaint regarding what was going on here. The front desk would not provide any of the information requested and told her that complaints had to go through them. My wife asked for an appointment with the manager and she was told an appointment was not necessary and she could come to the front desk right now. Fifteen minutes later, I walked to the front desk to see the manager and was told he was not available. The people behind the front desk, who indicated they were "agents", told me I could speak to someone in charge named "Aschelle". I explained to Aschelle about the issues with the groundskeepers, the moldy cushion that was still not replaced and other issues regarding the villa. I also showed her pictures I took so she can see for herself. She indicated that she would respond to these issues. The groundskeeping people vanished, but she never ever followed up with us to see if things were okay.

During our stay, we called the front desk to get quotes on how much it would cost to take a taxi to various restaurants around Rodney Bay and compared them to quotes we received calling taxi companies directly from the phone book provided in the villa. Every single time, the taxi quote from the front desk was higher than calling the taxi company directly and the spread between the two quotes increased rapidly the farther you would travel. For example, the front desk quoted us a price of $150.00US for a taxi to take us from the resort to the airport after we check out. We called Serenity Vacations/Tours and they charged us $89US to take us from the resort to the airport. During the ride to the airport, they answered questions and provided a history of the area which felt like we got a private tour thrown in for free.

On one of my last nights at The Landings, I was up late at night in the living room watching a movie called "The Gray". I got up from the sofa to get a drink and I nearly had a heart attack because when I got up I saw a dog on the patio just staring at me through the patio glass doors. I walked closer to the doors to get a better look at the dog and I almost had a second heart attack because the dog suddenly stood up on his hindquarters and his front paws landed on the glass! I looked for a light switch for the patio, but the patio did not have a light source. I tried to take a picture of the dog, but it was too dark for the camera. I could only make out that it was a skinny dog that had a dark or gray coat.

The resort has a kids club, but we found it very limited when we inquired about it. We called the front desk and asked for information about the kids club. We were told that the club was not free and there is a charge of $5US per hour per child. We asked about the activities available at the kids club and we were told that we had to speak to a lady who runs the kids club. We asked to be transferred to her and we were told that she does not have an office. We were told that we could find her by walking around the resort and look out for her. I indicated that it was not practical for us to really wonder around the entire grounds of the resort on the hope of seeing her. Sometime later, we received a call from a lady who indicated she runs the kids club program at the resort. We asked for an activities sheet and what things would be available at the kids club today. We asked her about several of the activities that were cited on the resort's website, but we were told every time either there was not enough children for the activity or the activity was not currently available. We asked her what was available and she told us that playing in the sand, making sand castles and arts/crafts were available. My 10 year son is very active and a good swimmer. We knew he wasn't going to be into "sand castles" or arts/crafts. My daughter might be interested, but most of things available at the kids club we did already for our daughter on the beach so we passed on the kids club.

The resort has a gym. The front desk told us the gym was available 24 hours a day so you could exercise at any time. The hotel also has a spa, but we did not use the spa during our stay.

If you stay at this resort, I would recommend not staying on the ground floor because that might allow you to avoid some of the issues we encountered. Overall, the resort is a pretty property on the outside with some luxury touches, however, the resort on the inside suffers from poor service, some staff that are uncaring, a lack of professionalism and some mold.

Room Tip: Get a beachfront room, but do not stay on the ground floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Kenneth H
San Ramon, California
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is truly a wonderful place that exceeded our expectations. On our arrival we entered the airy lobby and my wife and I were offered a rum punch, while the kids were given fruit punch. We had booked a beachfront room and the receptionist confirmed that it was very nice. We were stunned, however, by how luxurious it was. There was marble throughout, a fully modern kitchen and 2 and 1/2 baths. But the most pleasant surprise was spa on the back terrace, where you could soak and relax with a view of the beautiful garden and Rodney Bay.

A private path let to the hotel beach, where there were plenty of lounge chairs, and a staff ready to serve drinks and snacks. There was also plenty of recreational equipment like snorkels and kayaks that were covered in the room rate.

The restaurant had a different buffet every night, with fish night being particularly good. You could also get some tapas selections by the bar if you wanted lighter fare. The wait staff were consistently helpful and friendly.

We were also very pleased by the excursion packages offered through the concierge. The offerings were diverse and reasonably priced.

We would definitely return to the Landings and have enthusiastically recommended it to many of our friends.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you, pay the extra for a beachfront room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Adam A
We love your opening sentence - that we exceeded your expectations. We take great pride in encouraging our associates to "delight" our guests. Thank you also for your complementary words about our restaurants and the service. Lastly, thank you for mentioning to your friends. It really makes a difference. Best regards from all of us at The Landings.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gros Islet
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to The Landings St. Lucia? Share your experiences!