“Wonderful Experience in St. Lucia”

Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Gros Islet
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
DC
“Wonderful Experience in St. Lucia”
Reviewed April 2, 2010

My husband and I traveled to St. Lucia to get married on Pigeon Island (beautiful). We stayed at Bay Garden Beach Resort with 15 other guests. Our stay at the Resort was amazing! The staff aims to please, and made our vacation/wedding/honeymoon a dream come true! The restaurants & mall within walking distance are great. The Dolphin (Resort high dining) was a delicious experience! We mostly hung out on the beach, which was the high light of our trip. The resort's spa is amazing as well! If you want to venture out, the staff is very knowledgeable and willing to set up excursions or recommend things for you (they also have a tour specialist that can book things for you). The resort itself does tours during the week for very cheap, and the groups are small. It's never crowded because their are only 75 rooms... so a great getaway for a couple or a small group! Incredibly clean and beautiful... well worth the money said all of our guests.

1 Thank yogini10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 27, 2010

I stayed at Bay Garden's during my joint as a Maid of Honor for my friend's destination wedding. I must commend the hotel staff for their service, even though they were on "island time"- one of the hotel managers gave my Mother the safety pin OUT of her dress, so that my Mom could finish dressing for the ceremony.

Although not an "adults only resort", our stay was not what you would describe as "family friendly", young children were few and far between, while there were many couples and friends sunbathing and enjoying water sports. Although the beaches are public, the resort provides you with amenities right off the beach, assuring that you will never be without a towel or be forced to return to your room sandy.

As a vegetarian, I was not expecting the variety of menu options I have state side, however I did not go hungry during my vacation. And yes, they do provide room service as well as mini fridges in the rooms (and full size fridges in suites).

The island has been experiencing a drought, so I understand that water should not be wasted, but it was not until the 2nd to last day of my stay I managed to get hot water for showering. Lukewarm shower water does not make for a pleasant experience pre-wedding, but it does insure you will bathe as quickly as possible!

I do plan to return to St. Lucia in the next few years and would like to stay at the Bay Gardens Resort again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 27, 2010

We had a wonderful vacation at the Bay Gardens Beach Resort!! Lovely accommodations - we had an oceanfront 1 bedroom suite, which was very roomy, extremely clean, and very comfortable. There was a perfect view from the balcony, where we enjoyed our coffee and seeing the view! Employees were very friendly, helpful and sincerely interested in us enjoying our stay. Nice to have the "3 in 1" privileges with the other Bay Gardens hotels nearby, along with the free shuttle service which takes you near to the mall, grocery store, and restaurants. Would highly recommend this resort to others!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 22, 2010

... would definitely stay here again.
Excellent Carribean vacation value.
Front Line Staff were friendly and courteous and extremely helpful from the get go.
The accommodations were lovely - "well kept"...suite overlooking the pool with ocean in the background - as was expected from Resort advertising...nice job Bay Gardens marketing team.
Studio unit was nicley appointed throughout, curtains to chairs / couch / cupboards / granite counter tops / tiled flooring etc. ...we need a nice room to make the vacation ++ and this certainly met our expectations "again as was advertised".
Food in the restaurant was very good and the Food and Bev. manager was very attentive and accomodating. There are many reasonable restaurants within walking distance of the resort. "I'd stay away from Spinakers on the beach - poor service and the food was not good... hopefully just a bad night - it does happen".
Beach was very nice, might be a mile from one end to the other in a nice setting with many sailboats moored off shore. Swimming was alittle nicer further down the beach as there was a "rocky bottom" while getting in right in front of the complex.
Drive from the airport took 1 1/2 hrs. and cost $120US one way for the two of us...really didn't mind as we were prepared for it and got a good view of the island along the way.
Bay Gardens Beach Resort is a great place enjoy St. Lucia from.

1 Thank Davy_House
NYC
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I stayed at the BGBR with 5 other people. We shared two bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, and a kitchen/LR/DR with each other. I enjoyed my stay at the BGBR solely because of the company. The resort was exactly what I expected. The service was great, the actual buildings / pool / beach / restaurant weren't anything to be amazed with. They keep the grounds really nice, but it's really just a big charade in my opinion. To add to this, St. Lucia was experiencing a drought when we were there, so of course that didn't help (water was turned off at night and was turned back on in the morning some nights). There were termites in our dining room table, and the beds were like a rock. The pool was mysteriously closed at night time (which made no sense to me, as we spent most of the day at the beach) despite having the lights on (maybe it's for the ambiance?) We ate at the restaurant (Hi-Tide) our first night, and the service was exactly as slow as expected. To add to that, two of my friends ordered a Turkey BLT, and only got the BLT (without any sort of explanation). My pasta with parmesan and crab was *alright*, but not worth the price. The incline to get into the water at the beach is extremely steep, making it awkward when you're getting out of the water. There are a TON of islanders trying to sell you things, so be wary of that. In terms of St. Lucia as a whole, I was a little bit disappointed (but I think this stems from my stay at the BGBR). I will not be going back there again. Stick with Sandals or a more exclusive place. It's exactly what I was expecting, but for the price we paid (we had a timeshare) it was worth it. I got a tan, and I saw another "tropical" island. Maybe I'll be back in the fall.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank avidtraveler06
baygardensresorts, Assistant Managing Director at Bay Gardens Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
Re reply to avidtravelero6- NYC

It is always such a welcoming privilege to receive comments from our valued clients whether it is negative or positive. The negative reviews encourage us to re strategize where we have gone wrong if in the event we did, to ensure that history does not repeat itself. We pride ourselves in providing 100% guest satisfaction to our valued clients, as they are the only reason we are in business. To all our clients who have written positive comments we are forever grateful.

We sincerely thank avidtravelero6- NYC for taking the time out from their busy schedule to write this comment and are very pleased to learn that clients enjoyed the service whilst at our Resort. It was noted from the review that avidtravelero6 is an Interval International client. Bay Gardens Beach Resort has consistently earned scores of over 95% from customer satisfaction surveys from Interval International clients which are significantly higher than the world average for Interval International properties.

1. With reference to the issues raised in clients’ comments, please note, we have one, if not, the most beautiful gardens in the entire Rodney Bay area and we pride our selves in taking great care of our grounds which is certainly not a charade as posted by client.

2. As indicated, St. Lucia is presently experiencing a drought. Consequently, letters were sent to our valued clients informing them of the situation, please see contents of the letter below:

 Thank you for selecting St. Lucia’s only 4-Star luxury beach resort for your holiday. We value your business and sincerely hope that you will find your “home, away from home” comfortable and enjoyable.

We regrettably wish to advise that we have been experiencing lower than normal rainfall from September 2009 and as a result, water supply and distribution is being affected island wide. To cushion the situation, we have already put systems in place at the Resort to ensure that you our valued guest/s, are not inconvenienced due to this condition.

The situation is being monitored and in the meantime, we kindly request your patience, understanding and assistance in helping us conserve this very valuable and precious resource.
Rest assured we will do everything possible to ensure your comfort, whilst the country grapples with this situation.

3. Clients indicated that water was turned off at night and turned back in the morning; this is certainly far from the truth. Not once have we rationed or stopped the flow of water to our clients at any given time, despite the fact that the entire island is going through a water crisis.

4. Regarding the termites on the dining room table, please note the table has a glass top and there is no way, termites can live on glass. Our rooms are also fumigated regularly, as required by the Health & Safety standards of St. Lucia.

5 This is the first time we have received a complaint regarding our super king beds. Please note that our “Bed of Dreams” brand mattresses are produced by a world renowned locally owned manufacturer who produces the beds for the majority of the hotels on the island. St. Lucia would not have earned its reputation as a world renowned holiday destination of the main manufacturer of beds on the island produced a substandard product.

6. In all international hotels, the pools are closed off at night to undertake cleaning and re- chlorination. Due to the high level of clients utilizing our pool on a day to day basis, we need to ensure that we take all the necessary corrective measure to enable us to have our pool in top condition for the following morning.

7. Regarding the food, we do apologize if for any reason our valued clients felt the service was slow, but please note as all qualified chefs would admit, a BLT (Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato) does not come with turkey. However, if clients had specifically requested turkey with the BLT, we sincerely apologize on behalf of our team members for this oversight.

8. Concerning the incline to the beach, we sincerely wish there was something we could do to rectify the situation but this is nature and unfortunately, we have no control of the natural environment and the waves bashing against the seashore. However, the designed swimming area for our valued clients is raked on a daily basis to ensure there is no debris that will affect our clients.

9. With reference to the islanders trying to sell things to visitors, please note all beaches on the island are public but we provide security services to ensure our clients are not harassed in any way by the peddlers on the beach.

Again, we will close by saying that coming to St. Lucia was an eye opener for this client and staying at our hotel was worth the price paid as a time share visitor. Also, the beautiful tan that everyone is gaping at was done in Paradise.

We thank our valued clients for staying with us, especially with your admittance “it was worth it”.
Vermont
Reviewed March 19, 2010

My beau and I just returned from a WONDERFUL vacation at Bay Gardens Beach Resort in Rodney Bay St Lucia. We have been fortunate to travel a bit throughout the Caribbean, and are used to the slightly different standards of hotel expectation and I can say this property exceeded all expectations. We had booked an oceanfront room and were upgraded to an oceanfront suite on arrival. There were a few signs of typical wear on the property, but nothing that made it uncomfortable or tired feeling. After visiting other hotels on the beautiful Rodney Bay, we were COMPLETELY pleased with our choice. Absolutely idyllic beach - mostly very quiet - only 2 days during our 9 was the beach visited by "cruisers" docking in Castries - on those days there were more harbor activities available - fun to watch. Our first breakfast experience at Bay Gardens was a little less than wonderful, but we found the lunches and dinners absolutely delicious. There is a grocery market within walking distance, good to stock up a bit if you like, the other restaurants in the area were OK, not amazing (a bit pricey) Our only real complaint was that the pool area, while posted for use of hotel guests only, was often used by other than guests and this fact was known by staff. One day we listened for 6 hours to a young baby scream, and found out she and her mother were locals, not hotel guests. The beach is public, and I completely appreciate and commend the hotel for keeping it so, such a beautiful beach should never be made unavailable to people who live in St Lucia. Any and all other issues were always handled quickly and so pleasantly, even when we couldn't figure out the air conditioner and toaster, someone was immediately available to take care of us. Less nightlife than we expected, but after a long day in the sun, who has the energy! Lots of opportunities for activities, we were content to enjoy the sun and local rum! Beautiful, well cared for property, we had an amazing and restful vacation!

North Carolina
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I just got back from a week in St Lucia this March. The hotel itself is beautiful, and the pool is wonderful. Important things to know first though:

1) St Lucia is having the worst drought in its history. It is not green like the pictures - it is brown and yellow. Most of the hiking trails are closed due to fires. Because of this, the water pressure in the pipes is low and stagnating, so you cannot drink the water and have to buy bottled. Also, most hotels are turning off their water for several hours each day or even leaving their pools empty. The Bay Gardens does NOT turn it's water off (better for guests, worse for the island). The St Lucian down the beach, which is gorgeous, and I think otherwise a better place to stay, turns their water off from 12-5pm each day. That means good luck if you need to go to the bathroom!

2) The beach in front of the Bay Gardens is filled with rocks and sharp shells at the water's edge. That means that when you get in the water, it is really sharp on your feet, and there is a sharp drop where it suddenly gets steep. My mother and I walked the 15 minutes down to the other end of the beach (apparently that is the longest beach walk you can do in St Lucia - to walk on a long beach you need Antigua or Barbados) - the beach in front of the St. Lucian is sandy with a gradual slope, much easier to get in and out of, and more comfortable to swim in. This meant having to spend $30 each day to rent an umbrella and chairs on the beach, since we were not at our own hotel. Even in front of the Bay Gardens though, umbrellas are limited - people get up early and stake out a spot.

3) The restaurant / bar "Hi Tides" at the Bay Gardens Beach Resort plays loud music all day and often until after ten pm. so if you're looking for quiet, this isn't it. You can hear it in all the rooms surrounding the pool. My guess is if you have an ocean front room, you cannot hear the music.

4) The beds in the suites have pillowtop mattresses. The beds in the normal rooms do not. Probably not an issue for most people, but I have back problems, so our regular bed was really painful for me.

5) Sitting on the patio having breakfast overlooking the pool is wonderful! Plus, the pool is one of the best in Rodney Bay. Swimming in it during the evenings was a fantastic way to relax at the end of the day!

6) The staff is incredibly nice and helpful, always ready with a smile with any request.

7) The entire area seemed pretty empty. I don't know if it was the time of year, or because other people knew about the drought, but often there'd be only 2 other people in a restaurant. However, cruise ships come in once or twice a week, and during those days, the entire beach is packed with rows and rows of chairs and people.

8) If you go out to dinner anywhere in Rodney Bay, bring your bug repellent! Getting attacked by mosquitoes can ruin an otherwise lovely dinner!!

• Stayed March 2010
#2 of 12 in Gros Islet
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Bay Gardens Beach Resort? Share your experiences!