“A Good Three Star Hotel”

Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ellicott City, Maryland
“A Good Three Star Hotel”
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Just came back from a week at BGBR. It was exactly as we had expected from reading all the very helpful reviews on TripAdvisor. Whenever we travel out of the country, my husband and I always stay at AAA rated 4-diamond or 5-diamond Marriott or Westin resorts. There being none of those on St. Lucia, we chose BGBR knowing that it would not be the high end property we are used to. It was however, quite lovely, with well-manicured grounds, attentive staff, a nice pool, and large very clean rooms (we had two queen beds and still plenty of room to walk around). We looked at the Royal by Rex which was next door and the Winjammer Landing, both of which looked in need of refurbishment and we were glad we chose BGBR. The breakfast buffet was adequate but not quite as extensive as I would have liked. My only complaint was the gym - they turned off the A/C every night so I would turn it on to the coldest setting in the morning and hours later it was still pretty stuffy (and smelly) in the gym. A bigger A/C unit is definitely needed in that room.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MML1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2009

I have just returned from two weeks at the Bay Gardens Beach Resort and have to say that it is a really well maintained high class hotel that is fighting far higher than its four stars rating.
I found that each and every staff member went out of their way to be friendly, helpful and nothing is too much trouble for them. Maybe it was because the resort was well under capacity during my stay but somehow I think the real reason was the staff was the best of the best from the island. Additionally all the management had their fingers on the pulse of the resort.
The reception on arrival was professional if a little formal. However the receptionist sought me out a few minutes later to apologise if I wasn’t happy with her service and that really set the tone of the stay. I still can’t quite work out what she had allegedly done wrong.
The room I was assigned was spotless and well maintained and kept that way for the whole of the holiday and when I asked for an additional beach towel is was supplied immediately.
The restaurants were all pretty good and the food tasty and well presented. All the waiting staff were nice even sometimes singing to background music but one young lady called Samantha went to the trouble to find out my name and always greeted me by name and with a lovely smile so that was a nice touch. Unlike most resorts in the Caribbean the open air restaurants did not suffer from the wild bird problem probably because no food was left lying around and tables cleared promptly. The bar service was always quick and friendly and drink measures generous.
The pool was always clean and cool. The only gripe was the resort staff were unable to stop some guests drinking whilst in the pool and throwing beer bottles and cans around in the pool.
The gym although never really busy was well stocked with good quality equipment and all was well maintained and made working out a pleasure.
The security team were always on hand and ensured that the resort guests were not hassled whilst on the public beach. On my last full day it appeared that there was a public holiday and the beach was crowded with locals. There were a couple of incidences probably caused through drink and/or drugs but the security quickly moved in and stopped any trouble from affecting the resort guests. These problems had absolutely nothing to do with the resort and is only mentioned for reference.
On the evenings I went out I saw no sign of trouble and never hassled at any time. All I ever got was warm friendly smiles and a chat.
It I had to make a slightly adverse observation about the resort it would be how it was designed. The rooms seem to be designed like modular apartments and were a single room was required an inter-connecting door was locked to split the room off from the rest of the apartment. However it meant that there was only a single door and you could hear everything that went on in the next room and I mean everything.
Overall, where ever I went on the island I had a ball and met so many nice locals so would I go again? Just try to stop me!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Emblpa44
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 29, 2009

This was our third trip to the island and our first stay at Bay Gardens Beach Resort. The intent of our stay was simply to enjoy the beach and to relax. We succeeded! Upon arrival we were greeted with cool towels and a complimentary drink. Check-in was fast and the service was friendly. We were shown to our room which was very clean and comfortable. A surprise, and bonus, was the dvd player. We definitely used it at night and the few times it rained. The bathroom was nice and well stocked with towels, shampoo, etc. Initially, we had some trouble with the AC and the lights and did call down to have someone come up to check them out. It took awhile for someone to come up, but I reminded my husband that we were now on island time and not to be too stressed. After a second call to the front desk, someone came up immediately to sort things out.
We had breakfast at the hotel a few times. I ordered off the menu (the pancakes were very good) and my husband got the buffet. He was pleased with the selection. We sometimes ate lunch and dinner at the HiTide restaurant. They had a nice variety of wraps, salads and burgers that suited us just fine.
The beach access was great! The beach was rarely crowded and it is nice that the hotel is located at the far end, out of the way of most of the beach traffic. Security was always present and were very friendly. Loungers and shade were always available.
The pool area was nice and we enjoyed spending some time there. Our only complaint is that the umbrellas provide shade for those seated at the tables only. There was zero shade near the loungers. This could easily be changed if a few standing umbrellas were stationed around the pool. We had a nice view of the sunset from the hot tub. There was live entertainment at the pool area on a few of the days we were there which livened things up a bit. The bar staff was great and came around often to ask if we wanted anything.
I used the business center once to check e-mail and it worked well for a small fee. My laptop was not functioning properly so I can't comment on the wifi, but I saw many people using laptops at the pool and the beach. The little store in the lobby was nice to pick up a few cold drinks (water, gatorade, etc.) when we were too lazy to walk to the grocery store.
We didn't have any issues with housekeeping. In fact, our housekeeper, Sansha, was really fabulous. Our room was very clean and she often left creative towel sculptures (sometimes with flower petals!) for us to discover. Whenever we saw her, her smile definitely brightened our day!
One thing we were not prepared for were the mosquitoes. They were definitely in the room and I got eaten alive at night. I had a few bites that were really huge - it was unpleasant! I finally bought some heavy duty repellant and sprayed myself from head to toe before getting into bed each night. It wasn't pleasant, but it was much better than being covered in itchy bug bites. I'm not sure how the hotel could fix this; unless they installed screens over noticeable gaps to the outside (I noticed a few gaps that would have provided free access to mosquitoes).
Overall, our stay was very pleasant. I was anxious as I read a few of the negative reviews before our trip. Based on those reviews, we did not use the safe in the room and had no problems with our money/valuables. All of the staff at the hotel were consistently very friendly to us. The grounds are well-maintained and lovely. Based on our experience, I would definitely recommend the hotel and would return.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TandS_NYC
London
Reviewed June 25, 2009

About 16 of us stayed at this hotel as it was my godchild wedding.
The staff are so polite and the service was perfect I have not a bad word to say the only thing that I would complain about is that the stay was too short.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Herts
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We stayed at Bay Gardens Beach Resort for 16 nights with a group of 12 people, as my now husband and I got married in St Lucia.
Every single person in our group agreed that we chose the best place to stay and could not fault the hotel for anything.
We arrived at around 8pm and were greeted with a welcome drink. Upon arriving in our room we found that we had been upgraded from a 1 bedroom room to a suite, we had fresh flower petals sprinkled around the room and a nice bottle of bubbly awaiting us. It was certainly a nice touch after the long day we'd had!
The hotel is right on Reduit Beach, which was never once crowded the whole time we were there. We also spent alot of time by the pool, as we found it very relaxing to be there too. There is a restaurant and bar next to the pool, which we ate at a few times for breakfast's, lunches and dinners and although it's not all that cheap the food was always good and we could not fault a single meal. There is also the Dolphin's restaurant that is part of the hotel.
There is a shopping mall nearby, a 15 minute walk away at the most, where there are ATM's, a chemist and a supermarket (and several fast food chains on the way if that's your thing!)
We have to mention the staff, (especially Anette and Glasgow for keeping us entertained at the bar!) and Cheryl Gustave for a wonderful stay. Every single staff member would always say "hello", and always had smiles on their faces. Nothing was ever too much trouble for any of them, if there was anything we wanted, they made sure it was seen to straight away.
We really can't say enough good things about this hotel. As this was such an important holiday for us, it was just as important for us to stay at a hotel where there was no stress, and Bay Gardens fitted the bill perfectly.
All that's left to say is if you're going there make sure you catch the sunset and definitely make sure you have a "Glasgow Special" at the bar!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank amrobe
East London
Reviewed June 13, 2009

it was surpose to be a trip of a life time for me and family. the island very green, ocean nice. my hotel started ok but then turned out to be a nightmare. on my arrival we were greeted with such a warm smile good weather.I will get down to the point.... 1. first arrival our bed room had no soap, no shower cap. and 1 wash cloth for 4 persons. getting service in your room at night was near impossible which on serval attempt calling front desk too a very long time to respond to our needs. My frustration was growing as i made it clear that i was there just for my girls.
on day 3 we decided to have breadfast in the hi tide restaurant food i do not advise anyone to eat.
4.. my oldest daughter kept on getting calls from one of the managers who worked at the bar. He told her that his name was kurvin and he would prepare any meal she like all she has to do was call him. I tried to get in touch with the general to explain this, but was told chresnal that she was not in for the day and these things happen here all the time. This is harrasement in my country!!!!!
I am not sure if this is a custom for the executive housekeeper
to check the rooms if so ok but she has not right going in our luggage or looking in our drawers. I ask her what she was doing she told me she was checking for bugs, my wife told me she was caught digging through our things so that would be a logical thing to say.... never happened in any other hotel i have been too.
The bed bugs are terrible we thought it was mosquitos but when those big bumps being to appear on my wife's back i knew something was wrong. Good luck getting front desk to get you any assistant..
I do not reccomend the pool it has a high level of bacteria, i did my own test on the water i believe this pool should be shut down. We had to cut our vacation short due to all those terrible thing and to save the memory of this island from being on our banned list..
There are some wonderful staff there who make us sure feel comfortable, like taja, ginelle, desmond, but sad to say that when they told us they got paid for all their had work i must say.... Pure salvary.. $3.25hr Come On people. thats about $1.75 us dollars. and hour... NO way.. it was heart breaking. I guess getting $20 tips would be like winning the lottery for these staff.
well folks bay gardens beach resort in #0 on my list and to all my friends and family..

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
12 Thank Richy244
baygardensresorts, Assistant Managing Director at Bay Gardens Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 27, 2009
We regret the delay in responding to the posting of June 13, 2009 sent by Ricky 244 but after participating in the TripAdvisor webinar on 14th July, 2009, we felt it was necessary to take the advice given by the facilitators, to post our response.

We sincerely thank each and every one of our valued clients for taking the time from their busy schedules to post their comments on this useful website, be it positive or negative. Conversely, it is the negative postings that enable us to identify our weaknesses with a view to correct same and continue to strive for excellence and professionalism to take our Resort to another level.

It was refreshing to learn that the Richy244 family appreciated the vegetation of our island and the warm smile of our Receptionists upon arrival.

1. Regarding the room not being supplied with soap, shower cap and washcloths, I would like to point out that all our rooms are inspected by our Housekeeping Supervisors, to ensure they are adequately supplied with the necessary amenities. We pride ourselves in ensuring that we meet the need of every customer, to the best of our ability. Therefore it is that the needs of this particular valuable family were not met.

2. Everyone has different preferences of food and advising other clients not to dine in our Restaurant is a matter of choice. However our Bay Gardens Resorts properties have always maintained high standards of culinary excellence and we have gotten several rave reviews from clients for our cuisine.

3. With reference to point 4, we must highlight that our 72-room Resort has a Resident manager on property 24-hours per day as well as various managers on duty throughout the day and night to ensure total customer satisfaction. It is therefore difficult to understand why our staff would make such a statement being fully aware of the above.

4. Regarding calls from the managers re meals, our team members are allowed to liaise with our valued clients in the event an item is missing or not included in the menu, they can have a chance to explain to the clients and also follow up re status of their action. If our clients felt this was harassment, the management team of Bay Gardens Beach Resort will openly apologize and continue to go above and beyond the expectations of our valued clients. Our motto is
“Total Customer Care, Resulting in a memorable experience”.

5. Bay Gardens Beach Resort has been in operation for the last two (2) years and our rooms are fumigated on a monthly basis by a recognized Pest Exterminating Company. We are again taken aback with the bed bug report, highlighted by our clients. Since we are in a tropical climate, mosquitoes will be present.

6. Regarding the Housekeeper going through our clients’ luggage, it is quite customary at the Resort for the Executive Housekeeper and her Supervisory team as well as the General Manager and Rooms Division Manager to double check all rooms to ensure that rooms are adequately supplied with all amenities, standards are maintained and the level of guests’ satisfaction is adhered to by the Room Attendants. The General Manager and Rooms Division Manager, from time to time do a spontaneous check of all rooms. This is in keeping with the 4-star standard we are aiming at achieving on a daily basis. There is no way management will condone anyone going through our clients luggage and if this was the case, we encourage clients to immediately report the matter to the General Manager, the Assistant Manager or Duty Manager so appropriate disciplinary action can be taken. However, we extend our sincerest apology to the family and we have taken the necessary steps to ensure that if this was indeed the case, it will not recur in the future.

7. Our Front Desk personnel are our first and last impression of our Resort and we are sorry that the client felt they did not receive a speedy response from the Front Desk staff. It is a normal procedure for the Front Desk staff to use their initiative to ensure a high level of guest satisfaction as the hotel has an ongoing customer care programme in place for all team members, especially the Front Desk personnel. They are fully aware that our valued clients must always be their first priority and that they must take full responsibility and ownership for any incident or complaint reported to the Front Desk. They are also aware that the task is incomplete until the clients are satisfied.

8. Our lagoon style pool is tested by the Ministry of Health on a monthly basis for any level of bacteria. To date, there has been no reported level of bacteria in the pool. It is cleaned twice daily by our pool attendant who is very meticulous when it comes to the cleaning and upkeep of the pool. We are therefore not sure where the report of the pool having a high level of bacteria is coming from.

9. We regret the family opted to cut their vacation short but we do not understand why they should think of putting the island on their banned list. We believe this is unfair to others as the comments made is the opinion of only one family. Another family may find their stay with us and on island, a memorable experience.

10. A special “thank you” to the family for mentioning our wonderful staff who made their stay comfortable but we are unsure where they got the salary of $3.25hr. There is no staff member at Bay Gardens Beach Resort who is being paid $3.25 per hour. Bay Gardens Resorts prides itself as a first rate employer and our staff are compensated in accordance with standards that are acceptable in the St. Lucian hospitality sector.

We nevertheless take this opportunity to thank clients Richy244 for their comments and must state that their experience is not synonymous with the standards of Bay Gardens Resorts. We would therefore be grateful if they would reconsider their decision not to revisit in order to experience our true Bay Gardens hospitality.
Stockport
Reviewed June 8, 2009

The staff were very welcoming, polite and friendly throughout our stay. We had a beachfront apartment which was well worth paying that little extra for, the view was stunning. There was ample space in the room for what we needed, and the bathroom was lovely and was cleaned daily. The gardens were well kept and maintained daily, the pool was lovely and always clean.
The reason for our stay was that it was a surprise for my husbands 50th birthday, which was on New Years Eve. I arranged for a champagne breakfast on the morning of his birthday, and all the restaurant staff came and sang happy birthday to him which reduced him to tears!!! We booked for the New Years Eve celebration at the hotel which was wonderful, the food was plentiful and varied - something for everyone, it was to a very high standard and even included ice sculptures. At midnight we all went onto the beach where there were fantastic firework displays going off around the resort - absolutely breathtaking.
I recommend that you take a walk up the road and try some of the restaurants - we had some really nice meals all to a high standard.
You do need to take into account that the pace of life here is very different to in the UK, so don't be surprised if you have to wait a while to get served at the bar in the hotel - they haven't quite grasped that we really do like a drink !!!
We truly had a a holiday to remember, and will definately be coming back. Totally relaxing and laid back. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys beach holidays and those who just want to relax. There are plenty of other activities and trips that you can go on - we only did a couple - a day at Pigeon Island, a visit to Castries, and a trip to the rainforest. If you have any spare cash I recommend that you pay to take the helicopter ride back to the airport. Can't wait to go back next year.!!! Lindsay & Mike

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
St. James's Club Morgan Bay
Royal St Lucia Resort and Spa
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Bay Gardens Beach Resort? Share your experiences!