“Wonderful time!!!”

Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband & I just spent a week here last month. We had such a great time! People are warm & the resort is perfect! Loved the location - close enough to walk to shops & restaurants and right on the beach. The smaller size of the resort makes it feel so much more relaxed & welcoming. The restaurant in the hotel was great with wonderful food & nightly live entertainment. The 2 bars were friendly & a great place to hang out & relax - especially during happy hour 2 for 1!! Love those Blue Bananas!!! The pool was warm & plenty large enough with a lot of deck space with plenty of lounges. The room was spacious, nicely appointed & very clean. Many of the staff went out of their way to make you feel welcome. I wish I could recall their names! The head bartender was great. I do remember Pro who was in charge of entertainment. He went above & beyond at the Friday Night Jump Up & really showed us a great time as well as helping put on some great shows. The spa was top notch. I loved the old plantation style & the wicker rocking chairs on the veranda were wonderful! I wanted to take one home with me! The only thing I could really say as a suggestion to improve is to have outlets in the bathroom for things like curling irons or have one near the big mirror. The only plugs were designated for shavers only. Also the water pressure was low at times & once we had no hot water another time no water at all. But it was only for a short period of time both times. Other than that... Loved it all!!!

Room Tip: Request a beach view room at the far end away from the pool & bar.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
baygardensresorts, Manager at Bay Gardens Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Looks like we might need to send a couple Blue Bananas your way soon! We’re very pleased to read such a lovely review and will pass on your praise to our entire team.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel is brilliant. Well worth the 4 stars. Beautiful rooms and views. Yards from a white beach and warm, blue sea, 2 lovely restaurants in the hotel and several more within 15-20 minutes walk. The Sand Beach bar at Happy Hour (5.30 - 6.30 pm) is a must. Sipping a cocktail and watching the sun set. Friendly but not over familiar staff. What a place! Sit on the balcony or the beach watching the humming birds flying from bloom to bloom in the day and then stand in the sea and watch shoals of silver fish swimming right past your legs, so close you feel you could just pick them out of the water. Even the rain (liquid sunshine!) is warm. We went for a holiday of a lifetime and this hotel and resort delivered just that. If we never go to this wonderful island again we will always have wonderful memories of this stay.

Room Tip: We had a sea view room, which was quiet with a stunning view. We were on the second floor and I wou...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

We certainly hope you will be come back to make more memories, but hold on to the great ones you made – just in case.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We spent 10 glorious days here in March. My wife and I, and our daughter (11) and son (9). We stayed in a ground floor suite.

The small size of this property makes it feel much more cozy and welcoming than the mega-hotels. The staff are wonderfully friendly and helpful. Our room was meticulously cleaned every day.

The beach is absolutely wonderful. We spent at least 2 or 3 days just relaxing around the beach and pool. Other days we went on excursions around the island.

Several other reviews mentioned the local vendors on the beach as an annoyance. I'll share my experience in spending at least 2 whole days on the beach: I was approached by local vendors selling jewelry, wood carvings, etc. 4 or 5 times per day. The vendors were consistently polite and pleasant. I would chat briefly with them as they'd usually open by asking whether we were enjoying our trip, etc (and they seemed to sincerely care). I ended up having quite pleasant conversations with several of them. I am not tolerant at all of pushy sales people, and I did not find any of these vendors pushy. They would move on after being politely told that we were not interested (though occasionally we did buy something). In short: you will be approached by vendors occasionally. Whether you decide to be "annoyed" by this is up to you.

The pool is very relaxing and clean. We enjoyed it, but it wouldn't be that exciting for little kids (no water slide or anything like that).

We ate a few times in the hotel. We were pleased with the meals we had. Some of the other reviews sounded pretty negative about the food. I'm pretty fussy, and I enjoyed everything we ate. I would find the breakfast buffet a little over priced, but we only ate there once, as we stocked our room with breakfast food.

Note on food prices: If you're going to be upset paying a lot for meals, you might want to avoid Saint Lucia. Food is expensive here. If you go to the grocery store, you'll be shocked. The restaurants start with pretty expensive ingredients, and then they need to make a profit. All of the meals we had were expensive for what they were by North American standards. However, they were all really good, with the exception of the disappointing "Lime".

The place never seemed crowded. I asked a few people whether the hotel was half empty, and was told is was basically full. The small property size just makes it seem uncrowded. You will see the usual beach-chair hoarding (people put towels on chair to "claim" it, then go away for half the day). This wasn't a big problem for us. I just made sure on the beach days I got there before all the shady spots are claimed. They will not run out of chairs, but shady spots are limited to 5 or 6 umbrellas and a wonderful tree.

One warning: the property seems to be trying to sell time-shares. The hook for this is the standard free meal offer. If you're not interested in a time-share, you really don't want to waste a couple of hours of your precious vacation listening to a sales pitch for one...take a pass on the free meal.

This is the best hotel on the best beach on the most beautiful island in the Caribbean. The people of Saint Lucia are the friendliest I've encountered in my travels in the Caribbean.

You can't go wrong!

Room Tip: Room 802 is 10 steps from the beach, and 15 steps from the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

You’re welcome to visit us again.
We agree the size of the property is just ideal and coupled with such a great location, you’ve got a winner. Thank you for taking the time out to leave such a detailed review with honest feedback; we appreciate it.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

From the moment the staff greeted us with a delicious (and potent!) rum punch until the moment we had to leave the property, this resort was top-notch. Friendly staff, good food, fast and friendly service ... this place had it all. And the location is unbeatable. We've been all over the Caribbean, and this was truly one of our favorites.

1  Thank Michael B
baygardensresorts, Manager at Bay Gardens Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Glad you enjoyed the rum punch! Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We traveled to St Lucia in April 2013.
The property is amazing: well designed, decorated, and maintained!
It has a swimming pool, hot tub, and is right on the beach. We had a great time and would love to come back!

1. The rooms are very clean.
2. The staff is friendly, helpful, and very efficient.
3. It is OK to get as many beach towels as you like and take them on trips.
4. Although it is a timeshare, we did not have to change rooms when our vacation began on Friday instead of Saturday.
5. Every request for extra towels, blankets, pillows was addressed very quickly.
6. Three are two shopping centers within 10 min walk or a free shuttle ride.
7. There are plenty of activities on the beach or one can schedule them with the tour desk.

Other:
1. There are cats on the property. I would try to avoid ground floor rooms next time.
2. The outlets are three plugs and you need an adapter for all your chargers.
3. There is a guest laundry, but we never had time to use it.

Room Tip: There are cats on the property. I would try to avoid ground floor rooms next time.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite overlooking the beach in early Jan. 2013. Very Spacious, cleanliness was the best and location was within walking distance to lots of dining and bars. .We were on a 12 island hop and one of our best memories is of this resort. Picture perfect beach, clean, top notch service from the staff in regards to drinks and snacks. Staff helped us get a private driver to tour the island at a very reasonable cost. Staff were very genuine and sincere in their quest to make you comfortable and welcome. In house restaurant had good food at a reasonable price and service was quick. We were at the end of the complex farthest from the outside bar so the bar music didn't bother us at all. I'm a very fussy person and this resort met all of our expectations. Would I go back again...you bet and I am sure you will be very happy staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite facing the Ocean/beach.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was our third visit to BGBR; it was just as fabulous as the previous two.

We had requested suite 510, which gives you a great view of the pool and the caribbean sea beyond, and were delighted when reception confirmed we had been allocated this suite. The only slight negative comment I can make about the suite is that the sofa bed in the lounge area has seen better days and probably needs replacing.

We had breakfast and lunch a few of the days and the food was great; the omelettes at breakfast were particularly good. We didn't eat dinner here as there are so many good restaurants within walking distance (Fire Grill being our favourite).

The weather was great when we were here and we spent most days relaxing by the pool and swimming in the beautiful clear and warm caribbean sea. Tip - if you want to have shade on the beach get up very early in the morning and reserve your sunbed; I went down at 7:00am one day and all the shaded sunbeds already had towels on them. That said, there is shade around the pool and the beach is about a minute away, so no big deal.

Finally a huge thanks to Elran, Ali and Vidal who looked after us abosolutely perfectly. I've never before had my beers served to me in a wine bucket full of ice to ensure they were ice cold - talk about fantastic service!!

We will be back!

The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
St. James's Club Morgan Bay

Been to Bay Gardens Beach Resort? Share your experiences!