“St Lucia We Love”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“St Lucia We Love”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed at Bay Gardens the last 2 weeks in August. This was our first family trip (with 2 children 14 & 18) to St Lucia and it was a wonderful experience for us all. The journey from the airport was approx 1.5 hours on winding roads which we expected. We had arranged transfers with our tour operator before leaving the UK which is advisable if your not familar with the island.
When we arrived at our destinantion we were greeted by very friendly, happy and helpful reception staff (especially Olive), who immediately made us feel very welcome and by offering us drinks after our long journey. Our stay in a first floor one bedroom suite was very comfortable and enjoyable (Thank you Cheryl Gustave) the views were amazing, it was very spacious and the kitchen area was well equipped for all meal preparations. Also the place was cleaned well daily throughout our stay and all hotel staff that we interacted with were very polite and informative.
The amenities at the resort are exactly as described and the pictures that have been added to the site are factual representations of how lovely the place is. In my research of this resort I looked at thier own website for more information, which as very helpful and provides a 0800 number for enquiries from the UK. We have no complaints with the resort only praise for the way it successfully makes you feel confident and happy in your surroundings and also provides a professional service to all.
There is a lot of choice in the area for places to eat on the property and along the main route to the resort, we spent most of our time eating outside the resort so that we could get a real feel for our surroudings and mingle with the locals more.
Did not use the spa or gym facilities so cannot comment other than that they were available and there is a games room for the children.
The pool was very enjoyable and the beach was clean and relaxing we did not encounter any problems with hustlers and deck chair and umbrellas were always available for guests.
I would like to say a big hello to Elizabeth who sells roti, cakes etc on the beach and has recently opened a restuarant in the area.
We highly reccomend going on a tour of the island and venturing to places outside Rodney Bay to see more of this beautiful island. There are local buses in Rodney Bay that can take you to places like Castries for apprx 4.5 ec dollars return. There is an hourly shuttle bus service to/from the resort down to the sister hotel (nearRodney Bay shopping area), which we is very useful if you have small children, elderly persons or lots of shopping to carry.
English pounds can be easily changed in the local banks, but it is advisable for you to either bring some EC or US dollars for the first day if you arrive late at the resort after banks have closed.
A special thank you to Sheryl and Olive for making our holiday so special and to the maintanence team for there prompt assistance with the bed :)

hanks to all at Bay Garden Beach Resort, and Yes we will be returning to this resort in the future!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TheJacksons279
baygardensresorts, Manager at Bay Gardens Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
A big thank you to you for staying with us and taking the time out to leave this review.

The team was happy to have your family stay with us and we’re even happier now that we know you had a wonderful stay. St. Lucia really is a beautiful island and you’re recommendation on taking a tour to explore it is spot on.

We definitely look forward to welcoming you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Just back from 12 lovely relaxing days. We agree with earlier good comments re the hotel - very helpful friendly staff, nice rooms and beautiful gardens. Plus on a lovely beach. My teenagers loved the trampoline in the sea.
We would add (family with 2 teenagers) that the food (particularly the steak) at the Fire Grill Restaurant - about 50 yards from the hotel (next to the Chinese restaurant) - was fantastic - great quality steaks, shrimps and side orders. Plus a lovely friendly bar manager who welcomed us to the restaurant's cocktail competition which was a great experience.
We also loved Spinnakers on the beach close to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DennisandSmudge
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had no problems upon arriving. Let me say the drive to the resort is about an hour and a half from the airport. Lots of snake turns. If you get car sick, be aware. I took Dramamine to cure that! We booked using their ground transportation.

Upon arriving at the front desk, we were greeted with big smiles and handshakes and your choice of rum punch or fruit punch. The staff were very friendly, courteous and extremely helpful. Cheryl Gustave was extremely helpful, on point and very informative, friendly, professional and did not miss a beat! Thank you, Cheryl!

The room was comfortable and beautifully decorated with flowers around the showers, sinks. We were on the ground level. I love the patio in that you could sit outside and enjoy also.

The beach is beautiful. It's so relaxing and calming. I love the sunsets! I do have one complaint about the beach and I cannot say it's the hotel's fault. The beach hustlers had become a bit of a nuisance. Be careful of this. Usually if you're not interested, you politely decline and they SHOULD go away. After smiling and politely declining, I do not want you standing around telling me you need to make business or this was the laughable part, one of the hustlers yelling out that he's just too "black" and for that reason, we don't want to do business or talk to him. Two of the hustlers were around me arguing over money. One of them got into an argument with the guests. Fortunately, security walks the beaches and also, Gilbert in security was very helpful as well and he had warned us about them. But other than that, Beautiful beach! The pool area looked a little bit more peaceful because I didn't see any locals there but I came for the beach!!!

The restaurant, Hi Tide is right on the beach. Pricey, pricey. I also agree with the reviewers about the stray cats around. Again, I cannot blame the restaurant for that. The cats come around your table, licking their paws expecting to be fed. But if you ignore them, they do go away. I didn't find anything to complain about the food. I thought breakfast, lunch and dinner tasted fine but again, a bit overpriced.

We walked outside the resort which is walkable and about a 10-15 minute walk from the resort, but truthfully, nothing really impressed me. The mall wasn't impressive and I didn't really see any restaurants I wanted to try either.

I cannot complain. I would stay again. I have no complaints about the resort itself or any of the staff as they were very accomodating and very friendly.

It was dismal as we were leaving. All vacations are if you're enjoying yourself, and that I did.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank MoneyD
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My family stayed in a one-bedroom suite at the Bay Gardens Resort since a friend was getting married nearby. Normally we gravitate to things that look more "luxury" and "modern" on their websites but we were wrong to have any doubts at all! I loved almost every single thing about this resort: how friendly the staff was and good with children, how spacious our suite was and with a kitchen that has everything you need, the huge pool with water sprays and hot tub in the middle, the fun and relaxed pool-side bar, the fact that the beach is literally three steps from the resort... Highlights include the amazing view of the ocean from our balcony and watching the sunset every evening with happy hour-priced drinks at the beach bar. We went to the spa and I was blown away. It is very modern and luxurious and a total getaway. We both had massages. which were great.

If you are looking for a trip with kids, you will practically never have to leave this resort! And even if you do, the staff is so friendly that they will always help you find a water adventure to do, a taxi or point you in the right direction to nearby restaurants.

The only reasons we are giving four stars instead of five:
There are no elevators/lifts which means if you want the incredible view of the ocean (like we had), you would have to be able-bodied. We were lugging our little kids up and down. Also, I think they could improve the breakfast buffet. There was no issue with quantity or choice, but rather that none of it was very good (muffins and pastries seemed undercooked and meats either under or overcooked and a lot it just really mediocre or bordering on bad). I am generally not fussy but everyone we were with kind of agreed we had had better breakfasts at many other hotels. That said, we had a great barbecue dinner at the property and lunch by the pool was always good too.

Oh and they could probably use a refurb of the showers (at least in our room). The general flimsiness of the plastic tub and mirror bulbs burned out etc did not match the overall resort beauty and comfort. Beds were great though and this whole place is real value for money. We would absolutely go back.

Room Tip: We recommend a beach/ocean-facing room on the third (top) floor. The sunset and views are so outrage...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank BryandYa
London
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I'm writing this after having read a bad review of the place, which amazes me!! Whilst I'm not doubting the situation they encountered and I am sorry they had a bad experience, our experiences couldn't be further from this.

My husband and I will be returning to St Lucia and Bay Gardens in November for the third time in as many years...After first going in November 2009 for our honeymoon. We have found the hotel staff extremely welcoming and friendly. The first thing we were told at our first (of many) trip to the beach bar was 'this is paradise, you can have anything you want' (I had asked for a weak rum & coke) and I have to tell you, he wasn't wrong. It really is paradise, everyone on the island made us feel so welcome and we made friends with lots of people that we still talk to, to this day. I can't wait to go back to Bay Gardens Beach Resort and relax back into that time zone where nothing is rushed and you find true peace and happiness in your heart.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get a room with a beach view - it is absolutely stunning!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jo H
Moose Factory, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were volunteering in Viex Fort on the weekdays. One weekend we drove up to Rodney Bay and stayed here. I drove to the front of the hotel and unloaded the bags then told to move my car to the other car park, but it wasn't fair. The lady checking us in gave us a great deal. It was a nice/clean room but dated. We didn't eat here, but the spa was great as was the beach. It was a nice walk to the shops and bars.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jamesjegen
London, England
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I chose Bay Gardens for our honeymoon and it turned out to be a great choice. The resort is perfectly located in a safe, lively part of the island. We went on a few excursions to the Pitons, mud baths, botanical gardens, snorkelling, mountain Segway trails etc which were all lots of fun and highly recommended. The resort is well maintained and situated a stones throw from the beach which is kept beautifully clean and has all the usual water sports on offer. The rooms are large, comfortable and equipped with a tv and fridge. We stayed on a half board basis which was great. There was always plenty of choice for breakfast and dinner and the food was good. If you wanted snacks during the day, there was a lovely lady called Elizabeth who sold homemade roti (a mild curry wrapped up in a flatbread) and cakes on the beach. She is always in demand and will be opening a restaurant this Autumn called Guylucian so look out for her! There are also plenty of local restaurants and bars. The shopping mall is a 20 minute walk away and has souvenir shops, a chemist, fast food restaurants and a couple of supermarkets which is handy as you can stock up on drinks for your fridge back at the resort. We didn't use the bus service because we either stayed locally or travelled on an organised excursion. We took a few taxis which seemed reasonably priced. Take a good insect repellent with you! The mosquitoes and sandflies are a pain and I ended up with a few bothersome bites. However, the housekeeping service at the resort were great at spraying our room to keep them at bay. The staff at Bay Gardens are brilliant. They really make a big effort to ensure that you are comfortable and well looked after. Nothing was too much trouble and we were always greeted with a friendly face. If you choose Bay Gardens you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed August 2012
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
St. James's Club Morgan Bay
Royal St Lucia Resort and Spa
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Bay Gardens Beach Resort? Share your experiences!