“Over-priced”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
Galway, Ireland
“Over-priced”
Reviewed May 4, 2010

We stayed here on an all-inclusive basis for one week. There is not much to do outside of the hotel. Staff are rude and unhelpful, and we were often left waiting for a long time to get drinks, when there were very little guests. Meals are small, with very little choice.

Tables around the pool area are not cleaned regularly, and tablecloths in restaurants were stained. It was also difficult to get clean towels during the day.

I found it ridiculous that when I asked for bottled water rather than tap water, that there was a $5 surcharge. Given that I was able to get wine, rum cocktails etc included, this was a joke. Also no drinks in the room as there is in other all-inclusive venues.

All in all, I felt that this resort was totally over-rated, and the prices they charge are extortionate compared to other resorts.

I would not return to this resort. I would pay the extra and stay at Sandals.

1 Thank MissGGalway_Ireland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,086)
Suffolk
Reviewed May 1, 2010

This was our third trip to Almond Morgan Bay. The main selling points are that they are one of very few hotels in the Caribbean that cater for families of 5 and they offer great water sports. Banana rides and water-skiing that take place on the beach are part of the all inclusive package and the kids made extensive use of them. My 10 year old boy was able to water ski daily and by the end of our holiday moved from a complete novice up to the intermediate group - easily able to ski around the bay. Where else would you get to do that?

The hotel is fairly typical of the Caribbean with good food, clean facilities and nightly entertainment. It has quite extensive grounds and is set on a nice sandy beach with calm sea. Beause it is set in its own small bay it is fairly secluded and would be difficult to walk up the beach to other hotels etc and so felt very safe to allow our children to go off on their own and not wander off the complex.

The hotel has built a further 4 blocks of rooms within the last 2 years and we had a ground floor suite in one of them. A bit of a trek up a steep hill, but OK and a great view over the bay. The room was actually very, very nice and comprised a master bedroom and a separate lounge area which included a sofa bed etc and was basically the children's bedroom so essentially we had adjoining bedrooms. Nice to be able to close the door! The bathroom was exceptionally nice and had an absurdly large bath - easily big enough for 2! If we went again we would request one of these rooms in the new blocks.

There was a choice of bars and restaurants. Staff generally very helpful and courteous although at times bar service could be slow. Food was good and sufficiently varied. The Morgans Pier restaurant (on the pier!) has a very nice ambience and well worth a try. It is always difficult getting kids to eat proper food rather than chips and chicken nuggets, especially buffet. However kids junk food was seldom to be seen and the hotel needs to be commended for this.

There are about 4 swimming pools of which 2 are adult only. To be fair the main swimming pool did look a bit tired but it was pleasant enough. Usual complaint that there could have been more sunbeds and umbrellas. One of the pools (Plum Tree) is round the back of the resort and so was nice and quiet (perhaps only a handful of other families there) and served a small selection of food and had its own bar. It was nice to stay round there some days.

There had actually been an 18 month drought on the island. Normally St Lucia has a lot of rain and is a nice lush green. It was a bit upsetting to see it more of a brown colour. However the drought ended with a vengeance a few days after we arrived. Tip - if you are a Caribbean island and are suffering a drought, then just invite me along for my annual holiday - that should sort your drought out!

I have to say that the holiday was expensive and indeed the hotel seemed somewhat underoccupied as a result, To be fair this probably has a lot to do with the weakness of Sterling and the fact that we went as Easter, but other islands such as Dom Rep are such better value.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday as we knew we would and would be keen to go back again. I have read some of the negative reviews and quite frankly they must have been staying at another resort.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank jonnyg225
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2010

We came here with my 2, 6 and 8 year old boys in October and had a great time and met some wonderful people. Firstly, the activities, the sea water is quite silty so not good for snorkeling but the water sports centre was good and the staff there were extremely helpful and jolly. Water skiing is free so you can try as many times as you like. I got frustrated at not being able to get up in the classes so one guy said he would take me out later on my own and he did and eventually I got up on my skis. Hobiecat sailing was fun too and easy to learn. The food was typical buffet with lots of fish and salad which I love so nothing to complain about. Morgans Pier restaurant was excellent especially the lovely grouper on the menu. The childrens' food was good too. If you expect 3 star you will be happy - value wise it was very good but don't expect 5 star. The only down side to the holiday was the kids club. It was awful and my children said the staff were rude to them and not a great range of activities. I felt guilty leaving my 2 year old there but it would be the only way I could have a relaxing holiday so I did. I complained and spoke to the KC manager but this did not make much difference and I ended up feeling bad for complaining. Take the bus into Castries if you dare cross the road to the bus stop. It is only $1 instead of a $16 taxi ride and you get to mix in with the friendly locals. Overall a great holiday and I would return as the island is beautiful and would like to explore more when my children are older.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank cambridgeblue19
Scotland
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Hi returned on the 4th April after our wedding in Almond morgan bay . Our wedding day went as planned apart from the hotel photographer lossing more than half of the wedding photos.This was very upsetting for my wife and I as we lost all the photos of the individual familys , Luckily we had guest there to take photos and managed to get some for our wedding album.Apart from that we all had an excellent holiday staff was friendly but never in a hurry , food was good but sometimes a bit cold , there was not as much named brand drink as we had 2 years previous in the sister hotel smugglers cove.We all went and joys cruise which is a must it was an excellent day out and not to bad priced at $70 dollers each kids $40.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank Rosco140
scotland
Reviewed April 25, 2010

i have just got back from this place and i am so disappointed i don't know where to start.The staff were rude,the water sports badly run and the wild cats with open wounds in the restaurants put me off my food.One of the main things though was the kids club,i wanted my daughter to enjoy the holiday even if i wasn't,but the staff made no effort,they did none of the activities that were scheduled for the day,instead they sat my 7 year old in front of a video for the morning,needless to say she didn't want to go back.I really can't believe they are getting away with giving such poor service,i could've put up with everything if i was made to feel welcome.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank LJKScotland
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed April 24, 2010

We had a wonderful trip. We paid for a standard room and got an ocean front so we have no complaints. The food was great- our favorite was dinner at Morgan's Pier. Try Le Jardin too. We also enjoyed the buffet breakfast at Les Palms. There several water sport options and too bad we couldn't try everything. The staff was friendly, our room was clean, and we'll definitely go back. I didn't want to stay at Almonds after reading prior reviews but pay no attention to the whiners--it was a wonderful value. Our only problem was the entertainment needs some improvement and the beach was a bit small but seriously how much beach does one need? Go and have a good time!

1 Thank World_Traveler_Baby
NH
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Traveled with my husband and two other couples for a week. The hotel is what you would expect from a 3 star resort..clean, comfortable. If you are looking for luxurious, 5 star resort quality then this is not for you. We had a great time..food was excellent, staff went out of theri way to do whatever hey can for you. Marlon the bartender and Agnes who makes the omelettes at the Palms are wonderful! You must go on Joy's Tours, you can find him on the beach near the watersports..his tour is safe, fun and the most economical-you will not hear about him at orientation but look for him-tell him the six from Boston sent you:)! Definitely take the bus into town, it is safe and only $1(US), some of the cabs charge $30-40 to take you to town! Bring bug spray, the mosquitos can get bad at night.. All in all, a good value for the money and a really fun trip!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gros Islet
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Coco Palm Resort
Coco Palm Resort
#3 of 6 in Rodney Bay

Been to St. James's Club Morgan Bay? Share your experiences!