“great resort with more improvements since last year”

St. James's Club Morgan Bay
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“great resort with more improvements since last year”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

My wife, 12 year old daughter and I have just returned from our second
holiday at St James Club, Morgan Bay. We last visited in February last
year. We had a lovely holiday last year and were pleasantly surprised by
the improvements this year. I understand there has been investment from new
owners.

We stayed in an ocean view room situated at the top of the resort.

We noticed many changes since our last visit. More covered areas in the
shade around the Plum Tree Bar and the Sunset Lounge, larger paved areas
around the pool, a larger beach area, more wedding gazebos, stronger vented
sun umbrellas with heavier bases around the pool, the addition of a pool
table and a table tennis table, refurbished tennis courts, refurbished spa
and the addition of a self-serve soft drinks and fruit juice machine.

The staff were as friendly as we remembered. Mariline who supervises in the
Plum Tree Bar always had a friendly welcoming smile and made us feel very
special. We had remembered her from our first visit. Maria & Philomena in
the Plum Tree Bar were very caring too. Devon Wilson was very attentive in
the Pier Restaurant and the Bambou Restaurant whenever we met him. The
staff at the pool-side bar worked very hard throughout our stay to keep us
hydrated. There was also a delightful lady who kept the public toilets all
spotlessly clean throughout our stay.

A big plus at this resort is the all-inclusive water-sports including pedaloes, canoes & Hobie cats in addition to motorised sports like water-skiing & banana boats,

I tried to think what improvements could be made. It was difficult to think
what would make the holiday better.

We had fed back last year about the old umbrellas that blew over in the
strong island breezes - that had been addressed so I guess we weren't the
only people to mention it.

All in all the holiday was a complete joy and we really had a relaxing
vacation.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms and rooms at the top of the resort are newer. They are an uphill walk (relevant fo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Colin W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,086)
Bedford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Super week, had a hillside room(1144) spacious and clean, with superb views. Good selection of free watersports, beach is sandy so the sea is not as clear as in some other resorts, but beach kept really clean, staff spent ages raking up seaweed that was washed up in a storm. Good selection of food, something for everyone, cocktail of the day always worth a try. Water was always available to drink as was other drinks, juices, coffee etc. Went to le Jardin one evening ,excellent steak. Entertainment varied, karaoke, limbo dancers and steel band, finished at 11 each night. May not be quite enough for anyone who likes to party hard, but suited us just fine. All the staff seem to love their job, always dancing and joking and singing, great to see people enjoying their job. Was celebrating my birthday, so hotel arranged a few extras, cake and sparkling wine. Took a trip by local bus to Castries, not a lot to see but worth going to look about for a few hours, cost 50p each way. Day trip to Soufries was great, guide really informative, we went by road and returned by boat, visiting Pitons, botanical gardens and waterfall.
would recommend it to friends without a doubt.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an ocean view room, we were in 1144, bit of a climb but worth it.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anne M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

The room was fine, clean and spacious. Restocking was spotty and inconsistent, but kept clean.
Service was inconsistent across the board. Some staff were excellent, while others definitely made you feel like they were doing you a favor. CherryAnn was awesome and I had no complaints about any staff at Bambou. They were all terrific. Desire, Michael, Christine, Kenneth, and Marlon were great at the Sunset Lounge during the evenings.
The food. Horrifyingly bad, and I came home with food poisoning. Room service was expensive, not part of the all inclusive, and not any better than the slop on the buffet. LeJardin was an additional charge as well, very disappointing how many things were an extra charge considering this is an all inclusive. Food is only available on their schedule, except at the Plum Tree, where I got food poisoning. Can't say strongly enough how horrid the food was....except the dinners at Bambou.
Pools were beautiful but close at six pm. Inexplicable as they all have lighting.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank MassMiss
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at St. James's Club Morgan Bay, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Value Guest,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us at St. James’s Club Morgan Bay. . We see the gift of feedback as an opportunity to consistently improve our guest's experience while with us. We pride ourselves on providing guests with accommodations in a genuine, unpretentious environment where they can enjoy a one of a kind Caribbean experience.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy the dining options at the resort. The vast majority of our guests are truly pleased with the wide variety of international and local favorites. We have not received any food poisoning incidents at the resort. The Plum Tree is a favorite for the guests at lunch as it has an open kitchen and all items are cooked right there in the view of the guests.

St. James's Club Morgan Bay is a vibrant, colorful, beachfront resort distinguished by its romantic setting. It is set amidst 25 acres of beautiful tropical gardens overlooking the Caribbean Sea, minutes from Gros Islet, Rodney Bay, and the capitol city of Castries. We hosts hundreds of very happy guests each week, and we consistently earn excellent reviews amongst our guests. This is because we work very diligently to deliver a relaxing, stress free vacation in a beautiful setting, with some of the friendliest staff in the Caribbean.

If you are looking for a fantastic Caribbean get away in St. Lucia; than St. James's Club Morgan Bay is an excellent choice.. St. James's Club Morgan Bay embodies the true Caribbean beach experience and it is all just steps from your room.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Been to the Caribbean a few times before and this is the worst hotel I have stayed in.
On arrival you have to fill out lots of paperwork which after a long flight from the uk was tiring.
First night we arrived as the pier restaurant was closed the hotel had a BBQ on the beach. No additional lighting was provided so you were left to choose and eat your food in the dark. The smell of the food being cooked that night actually put me off eating.
Our room was small and seemed clean however on the first two mornings I woke up to find cockroaches in our room. In fairness to the duty manager dania she moved us immediately and upgraded us to a hillside room.
The beach is ok, however the water is very cloudy so if you are expecting the clear sea usually found in the Caribbean you will be disappointed. We usually got taxis to Rodney bay to use the beach there.
Back to the food, thank god for the plum tree grill at lunch time otherwise I would have gone very hungry!! The food at the buffet is awful and there is no air conditioning in the room where you get the food so it was very hot especially at breakfast when they had grills going. We didn't eat at Le jardin restaurant due to the additional cost and the poor standard of food in other restaurants.
The joys cruise offered on the beach is well worth doing and a great way to see the island.

If I ever come back to st Lucia it will not be to this hotel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sara b
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at St. James's Club Morgan Bay, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at St. James's Club Morgan Bay. We value our guests' comments as a way to improve our service and guest experience on a daily basis.

As you can imagine, we are disappointed that you did not have a memorable vacation experience at the resort. The vast majority of our guests truly enjoy every aspect of their stay from the accommodations to the activities, food and entertainment.

We review our guest surveys and online forum reviews on a daily basis and are keenly aware of our guests' experiences. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and can only hope that when you are considering another fun-filled Caribbean vacation we can once again host you.
Newmarket
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had an amazing time at the St. James Club Morgan’s Bay! I think this is my favourite place! I think what sets St. James Club apart from other all-inclusive resorts are the people working there. They went out of their way to make our trip enjoyable. All of the water activities were really fun and you could be as busy or as lazy as you wanted to be. The St. James Club is not a big property and that is part of its charm. We were in the 400 block that had a nice view of a bay. The rooms are a bit dated but they were clean and very large which was nice. Check-in was a bit chaotic but we did arrive in a large group. The trip from the airport to the resort is about an hour and fifteen minutes but do not let that stop you….it is worth the drive! You have to try the BBC drink – it is yummy – it quickly became my morning smoothie. The food was amazing and in particular the Corn soup! It is a must try!!!!!!!!!! When I say they went out of their way to make our trip enjoyable the following is a perfect example….on our second last night we went to the buffet for dinner. As I mentioned, I love the Corn soup and had been looking for its return on the menu all week. I casually mentioned it to the hostess at the buffet and she made special arrangements with the chef to have the soup made for my entire group the following night. They went way above the call of duty to make me happy and I was forever grateful.

You have to see Margarita at the Plum Tree – she is a lot of fun and will go out of her way to serve you. Cherry Anne at Morgan’s Bay is so sweet. I believe Ann was the hostess at the buffet one that arranged for the soup – thank you….sorry if I got your name wrong.

We did the Land and Sea trip with Romaine and Lettuce…aka bob and despite the rain it was an amazing experience. Romaine is very knowledgeable about the island and its history which really added to the excursion. I would highly recommend this trip. We chose this trip for the access to washrooms which you do not get on Joy’s cruise.

I only have two complaints…the jellyfish in the water (hardly the hotel’s fault) and not enough plugs in the rooms. There were no plugs in the bathroom which makes it challenging to get ready. We ended up having a power bar under the desk that we used (a lot)!

We did go in rainy season and it did rain, a lot. However it did not dampen our fun. I would just recommend you bring proper footwear so that you do not slip we saw a lot of people going down so you have to be really careful.

I am looking forward to return with my family soon! Please message me if you have questions.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank travelfamily1201
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed at St James Club Morgan Bay from October 27 – November 4, 2013.
Our transfers were through Serenity Tours. We had a VIP car transfer on the way to the resort and a helicopter transfer back to the airport. We were greeted with cold clothes at the airport. The drive was about 1 hr 15 minutes by car and it was just the two of us and a cooler full of rum punch and Pitons. The drive is so beautiful and our serenity ambassadors, Freddy and Ingrid, were so wonderful that it went by very quickly. They stopped twice on the way to the resort. First for a scenic view of the Dennery for a photo opp and once more to get some fresh homemade bread at the side of the road. Delicious! I highly recommend serenity for your transfers.
We arrived at the resort and were greeted with cool wash clothes and complimentary rum punches.
The resort is smaller than we are used to but very well laid out. There are lots of beautiful flowers and landscaping. We booked a standard garden view room. We were in Building 2 on the second floor (226). We actually had a partial oceanview which was nice. Our room was quite large with a nice bathroom. It had a walk-in closet and a refrigerator that actually kept everything in it very cold. The air conditioning in the room worked great. It was a welcome relief at the end of the day after being in the hot sun. The maids were excellent. The bed was very hard in my opinion but I seemed to sleep good every night so it was not a big deal. We also had a bottle of Champaign in our room when we arrived as I told the resort it was his birthday while we were there.
Don’t miss the sunsets from Tommy’s Hilltop Bar.
St James has 5 restaurants. The food was very good to excellent. We ate at Le Jardin twice and both times were fantastic. Well worth the $27 pp charge to eat there. We went here the night of my boyfriends’ birthday and they made it very special. They decorated our table special, had a bottle of Champaign, sang “Happy Birthday” and had a delicious cake. Shout out to Krystal who was our lovely host both times. Sweet girl. The Palms had a different theme every day for lunch and dinner. The food was excellent there as well. We thought the food at this resort was some of the best we have ever had at an all-inclusive. We enjoyed Morgans Piers for dinner one night and it was good and it was a great atmosphere. The Plum Tree restaurant was a great spot for lunch or a snack if you’re hungry when the other restaurants are closed. They are currently building a new Italian Restaurant in the front of the lobby that should be finished in a couple of months. I am sure the food will be excellent there too.
We went into Rodney Bay one night and ate at Spinnakers. We had a great meal and it was an awesome atmosphere with the view of Rodney Bay and local guy singing and playing the keyboards. It is about 10 minute/$15 taxi ride to the north to Rodney Bay and about a 20 minutes/$25 taxi ride to the south to the Castries.
The beach was nice but small. The water was calm but not the crystal clear blue like you usually see in the Caribbean. The free watersports are a great plus. Hobie Cats, Kayaks, banana boat and waterskiing!! The sunsets here are beautiful. There weren’t any locals trying to sell you stuff on the beach like you we have seen on other islands. Make sure you see Joy on the beach and take the boat cruise to Soufriere. Pools were nice, friendly bartenders and the swim up bar was never crowded.
All the staff were extremely nice and so friendly.
Carnival Catamaran
We really enjoyed our catamaran cruise to Soufriere. We were picked up at the hotel around 8:30 and brought to Castries Marina to board the boat. There were only about 20 of us on the catamaran. We sailed to Soufriere and we were given drinks and snacks. No alcoholic drinks until after we snorkeled. That was very disappointing. Especially for the people that were not going to snorkel. The four of us boarded a van along with our personal guide and were driven to the waterfalls, Mud Baths and Volcano. We stopped for lunch at a plantation for a local St. Lucian lunch which was delicious. We boarded the catamaran again for the sail back to Castries Marina. We stopped at a bay by the Pitons to snorkel and swim. The snorkeling was excellent here. After that the party began! Great time!! We returned back to the hotel around 4:30.
As I stated previously we booked a helicopter transfer back to Hewanorra Airport through Serenity. A driver picked us up at the resort at 11:30 and drove us to the smaller airport 5 minutes away. We boarded the helicopter for a 10-15 minutes flight to the airport. The pilot was great and showed us all the points of interest on our route to the airport. He was very funny with his commentaries. This was totally worth the money to see St Lucia from this perspective. Definitely do this if you can afford to. So cool!!!!
The weather at the beginning of the trip was a little unpredictable. The sun would come out and it was beautiful for a while and then all the sudden it would downpour for about 15 minutes. And I mean downpour. It did this off and on all day long for the first few days. The weather was fanastic the rest of the trip.
We had a fantastic trip on a beautiful island at a wonderful resort with good friends. It doesn’t get any better than that. We definitely recommend St James Club Morgan Bay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JamaicaRiu
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We loved St. Lucia but did not like this resort. Here is the breakdown...

Beach- the water is warm but cloudy. The beach is a good size and they always have chairs available but if you are expecting "caribbean" water this is not the resort for you. The other beaches we went to on the island were much better.

Pools- great pools. 2 adult pools. They don't play poolside games and the speakers for the music need an upgrade but overall they were good.

Food- the worst food I've ever had at a resort. Keep in mind that this resort caters to a lot of UK crowd. They don't have a lot of American options as other resorts do. One of their restaurants has a $30 surcharge to use it and the Pier restaurant was closed while we were there. This left only the buffet (not good) and the Bambou. They are very slow with service and our water was NEVER filled. At times we would not get our drinks until we were done with our meals. There are no late night food options so don't expect to eat after 9:30pm which is last call for dinner.

Service- St. Lucians are very laid back and do things at their own pace- which is fine- but the service here was horrible. We had a handful of bartenders that we liked but everyone else acted like they were doing you a favor to get something or acted annoyed. The towel service is horrible. They never have fresh towels and their towel policy of when to return etc changed daily. When we would ask for things we would not get them and it became an issue through our trip because we were so frustrated.

Management- I realized that I had bought an upgraded room 3 days in. I went to the manager and told her. She moved us but never suggested any other type of compensation for their mistake from the previous days. She acted like she was doing me a favor and this left a bad taste in my mouth.

Rooms- the rooms were clean and it looks like they are slowly upgrading decor. The mini fridge does not have ANY beverages in it. If you want bottled water you have to buy it at $3 a bottle. This became a huge problem with drinking daily by the pool because we were SO thirsty and dehydrated. Then when we would go to eat we also wouldn't have water. They should really look in to changing this at the resort. Also, they do not have plugs in the bathrooms (they said it was St. Lucia mandate) or near the mirror in the bedroom. This made drying, curling etc your hair VERY tricky.

Entertainment- They have these performers called Lili and Yahmi who were the worst resort entertainment I have ever seen. The problem was that they were there every OTHER day! So many people complained about them but they just kept coming back. It put a real dampor on the trip. All entertainment ends at 11 and the entertainment during the day is mostly water sports. There is not much to do at the resort when night falls.

We had excellent outside excursions and met excellent people but I would never go back to this resort. I have been a lot of places in the Caribbean and unfortunately this was the worst.

Room Tip: The 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 block rooms have the best views and are a bit more updated but they are u...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pistonsgrl25
Dear Valued Guest,

The principle I would like to thank you first and foremost & tell you that we do appreciate our guest sending in their comments. We see the gift of feedback as an opportunity to consistently improve our guest's experience while with us. We’re concerned about the range of problems you experienced at our resort during your visit. We accommodate many guests, and strive to make their stay a most satisfying one.

We pride ourselves on providing guests with accommodation in a genuine, unpretentious environment where they can enjoy a one of a kind Caribbean experience.. Because our success is measured by how our guests, evaluate our service and facilities, we want you to know that your comments have been taken seriously.

Please be assured that the issues you have mentioned have been reviewed and addressed. We take pride in our hotel, and do our best to prevent problems from reoccurring. Again we are sorry you did not feel you experienced Morgan Bay's genuine hospitality which we are known for, and can only hope you give us the opportunity to do a better job in the near future.

Our staff is our biggest asset and we are proud to have such a dedicated group of service minded individuals working at the resort. It is quite unfortunate that the myriad of concerns you had with your stay were not brought to management's attention prior to your departure as we are very confident that we could have resolved any of your concerns. We do hope the next time you seek the sun, you will allow St. James's Club Morgan Bay's genuine staff create for you a timeless memory.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gros Islet
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina

Been to St. James's Club Morgan Bay? Share your experiences!