“Excellent hotel”

St. James's Club Morgan Bay
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I spend four nights at St James Club Morgan Bay. We found the service to be exceptional.The restaurant staff was the best I had ever experienced. We ate at the Bamboo and the Palm restaurant and we found the food to be great. The only thing I find is that the restaurants needed a little more variety for lunch and dinner. We used the four foot deep pool since I can not swim and I find it was great that I can actually walk in a pool comfortable.
On one occasion we got locked out of our room because there was a problem with the lock and when we reported it the staff came right away and fixed it.
We would definitely be visiting St James Club Morgan Bay again

2  Thank Alicia R

Reviewed September 28, 2013

My wife and I had a great time here. We went late September towards the end of the season so it rained on a few occasions. If you consider going off peak, we can report the few short showers did not spoil our enjoyment, these cleared up in no time and any minor inconvenience caused was negligible in relation to the relatively low off peak prices charged for this time of year.
Accommodation was first class. Our large room had a sea view with huge plasma TV along with tea making facilities, modern (quiet) air conditioning, up to date furniture and fittings, a very comfortable bed together with most other mod’ cons. The bathroom included a good sized bath and integral shower. All this was housed within in a small block in beautiful landscaped gardens.

Four restaurants were available, all offering a rich variety of dishes. One, a walk in buffet restaurant, two others that required reservations, and the fourth, a much grander affair that cost extra with a piano player.
Service in all was first class as was the food.
Pretty good In house entertainment was provided nightly and all drinks and cocktails (yes all drinks) are included in the all-inclusive package.

The large, very pretty private beach is right on the doorstep and offers a wide and free variety of water sports with a kiosk serving rum punch, beers and soft drinks located a few steps away.

I would thoroughly recommend this four star hotel, yet stress it is a four star, not a five star hotel so don’t expect a five star hotel standards. One instance being that although there were hundreds of sunbeds to choose from, relatively few had beach umbrellas. Inevitably these were reserved with towels by about 7am. This was not good, resulting in much grumbling from guests with no choice other than to roast in the hot sunshine.
One other thing………..the extensive cocktail menus in all the bars boast a ‘Mia Tia’
Don’t be fooled, they mean, Mai Tai, they just spelt it wrong.
All in all a great place but could be better if they forked out for more beach umbrellas.

CP

1  Thank M50CMP
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Myself my husband my sister and her husband returned from St Lucia after spending a fantastic vacation at The St James Club Morgan Bay. Our room 647 overlooking the sea and beach front was exactly as I remember it from 10 years ago when our daughter married at the hotel. We had a fantastic time then and equally a fantastic time this trip. Our holiday was fun and laughter all the way. I can honestly say that this is the first holiday I have been on where I was unable to read a book because I was having so much fun !! The food and restaurants were of a very high standard with enough choice to please everybody's taste. The Bamboo Restaurant for evening (you have to book in advance) and for afternoon tea and breakfast also (no need to book). The palm self service restaurant (So much choice) its a challenge not to overeat. The pier for ambience & lovers is so pretty, honeymooners (we met a few) loved eating here again you have to book in advance but well worth it. Le Jardin well we did not feel the need to pay extra to eat here because the quality elsewhere in the hotel was so good. Lunch time we tried The Plum Tree the children's pool & play area for the last 2 days and chef Marilyn and staff were a delight and the food cooked to order, excellent. On our last lunch a young girls dance troop entertained us with a impromptu dance display !! all young and up and coming Rihanna's/Beyoncé's. The water sports on offer were excellent, with tuition if you were a beginner. Hobby Cats(husbands passion) water skiing, windsurfing, banana boat, kayaking, water boarding, pedaloes etc. Volley Ball on the beach, aerobics in the pool. Jet Ski's for hire by local boys...my sister loved this. All the staff from house keeping to porters, waiters & waitresses, bar staff to reception/front of house are so polite and helpful, you will want to bring them home with you. I must give a special mention to the singing toilet attendant at sunset bar, she sings the songs of Tracy Chapman (my name is Luca fame) and meeting her was a privilege, she is a very special person. Also you must go Joy's Ocean Tour to the Pitons, including Marigot Bay, Sugar Beach, BBQ on beach prepared by Joys family the volcano water fall and mud baths. Great fun and worth every penny. Marigot Bay is worth visiting for lunch at Doolittle's (the film Dr Doolittle was filmed there) they were cooking Beef Roti & the smell was divine, we were not disappointed ! Oprah Winfrey Mick Jagger and Sophia Loren have villa's overlooking the bay here, sadly they were not home !! One last thing is you want to Scuba then Scuba Steve is your man, my husband went on dive's with them...they pick you up on the beach and drop you off 5/6 hours later. He was very happy with his dives with them.

Room Tip: Ask for a Beach room as the rooms with sea views are in big blocks on the hill behind. Also very goo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had wonderful 5 days. Absolutely love the hotel. Had an ocean view suite with magnificent views of the resort. Loved the beach, all the restaurants, especially the one built out on a pier. Eating dinner surrounded by the ocean is incredibly romantic. We preferred the buffet restaurant that had interesting and good food. Everything extremely clean, even the public restrooms. Staff very friendly and efficient. Had an excellent massage in the Spa. In general loved the very relaxed atmosphere without a lot of rules. Resort is very well run. This was the off season so no kids around which was fine with us.

1  Thank Mariola91
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Wonderful resort! Such courteous and friendly staff. Beachfront room was wonderful -- could hear the waves all night! Pools and bars were very nice. Not a negative comment! Very nice vacation. We will return!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sue F
Reviewed September 27, 2013

If you have booked your holiday, and like me come on here to get a feel for where your'e staying, rest assured you have chosen a good hotel. This is by no means a 5* hotel but it does not claim to be either! I have recently returned from a 2 week stay and in terms of the hotel cannot complain...We stayed in room 333, it was clean, a good size, it's by no means 'modern' but perfectly acceptable. If like me, your main concern is cleanliness, you should have no problems, as I did not encounter any.

I personally feel certain people who leave bad reviews look for the negatives...they go round taking pictures of crooked lamp shades and the likes and say that this spoiled their holiday...and while we had a one or two minor issues such as the key would stop working once the cleaner had been, I merely went to reception and it was fixed after two days. However, I did not let this ruin my holiday and would not let this cloud my overall opinion of the hotel...things happen!...it was sorted!

The staff were very friendly always dancing and singing and keeping the spirit alive. Marlon, especially, was always keen to ensure you were enjoying yourself. Garicay was always happy to answer any questions you had about the island/hotel etc. Elijah (the tall one) was very friendly and Michael made me feel special when I didn't even need to ask him what I wanted to drink...I walked up to the bar, he served me my drinks without me uttering a word!

The pools are clean apart from a few leaves off the tree which can't really be helped, I noticed people checking the water daily, maintaining the PH levels I presume. The swim up bar is great and make sure you take a walk up to Tommy's rum bar...gorgeous view!

There are no 'branded' drinks however all drinks were great...they do make a lot of drinks with crushed ice...if you don't like this don't wait to complain about it on Tripadvisor ASK for your drink how you would like it! You may find that when you ask for 'special requests' that the staff are little...well maybe put out...but that's not the case...it's a different culture...they just crack on...they won't hold it against you!

On your first day there you will be invited to orientation...pay attention! If you get the questions right, there are prizes to be won!

Entertainment was hit and miss but its obvious they try to cater to all tastes which means not everybody will be satisfied every night!

If you do encounter any problems the staff on reception were always happy to help and in my case always resolved my issue. In one instance I had an issue with that needed resolving with my travel rep and even still they very helpful!

The food, in my opinion, was good. However, if you are a picky eater this may not be the hotel for you due to the fact there was not a vast amount to choose from. On the contrary I never struggled to find something I liked and enjoyed everything I put on my plate.

IN SUMMARY: Hotel was up to standards, I could not ask for much more for the price I paid!

On to St Lucia itself...if like me, you have pictures in your head of amazing idyllic beaches you may be slightly disappointed...it's a volcanic island and therefore the beach was not golden and the water's are not crystal clear. However this was probably bad research on my behalf...

TIP: If you go shopping in Rodney Bay (or most places for that matter) ensure to offer your passport or YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR ITEMS DUTY FREE. This piece of information is not conveyed enough. In some shops they will not even ask you, you have to offer. (I paid duty on all my gifts as I was unaware of this until somebody told me on the last day of our stay.) This even applies in the gift shop when/if you go zip-lining, which, by the way, was where I found the best place to buy gifts ...not necessarily cheap but lots to choose from.

TIP: If you are thinking about doing the Grenadines trip...BOOK IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!! We were unable to go because the minimum numbers were not reached however, I would like to point out this is nothing to do with the hotel. I was very disappointed about this due to the fact they branded it as a 'once in a life time' opportunity but yet failed to mention it was subject to numbers!!!

TIP: DON'T BE AFRAID TO BOOK A TRIP WITH JOY'S ON THE BEACH. Although it may seem a little a little bit suspect, it's perfectly fine and a really good trip. The best snorkelling we did anyway! And you get to see some of the must see's on the island...i.e: the pitons, the mud baths and the volcano. The lunch on the beach is great too! Really good tour guides as well always happy to take memorable pictures for you and really look after you!

The plugs in our room were English plugs of which there were two...if you require more take some round two pins which you will be able to use where the lamps plug in.

6  Thank Nicole C
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week vacation at the saint james club in saint Lucia and we had a great time . The accomations were very good . We stayed in a beach front room , the hotel is rundown a little but clean . The food is not your best but plenty available . The le Jerden restaurant was worth the extra charge . Don't forget to take tour of the island . The catamaran ride was very nice with a beautiful view of the Pitons , visit to sulfur springs and the volcano .
The people are very friendly . The price we paid for this vacation was a very good deal

Room Tip: Beach front blocks 700 and 600 very close to beach and pools...1200 blocks with excellent views and...
2  Thank Maha M
Royal St Lucia Resort and Spa
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to St. James's Club Morgan Bay? Share your experiences!