“Favourably impressed”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
Twickenham
“Favourably impressed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at this inclusive resort last week as my daughter and fiance had booked a wedding package here. After an initial hiccup as we did need a twin room rather than a double as I was sharing with my son (I can't remember there being a specific question on the booking form) which was dealt with well, without exception we found the staff very helpful and friendly with a great attitude . The food in the main buffet style restaurant (The Palms) was superb and I was really surprised at the number of dishes on offer featuring local ingredients, always lots of choice and well cooked. As we were a small wedding party of 10 we did eat as a group in the Bambou on the night before the wedding but obviously there was the normal limited choice of three items per course and the service though pleasant, was slow. The meal after the wedding was at the Pier and the service was excruciatingly slow even as it appeared not to be full, but as we were in a celebrating mood it did not matter over much, and according to other members of the party who had eaten there at other times it was not usual. The standard of cleaning in our room was very high, (thanks to you Magdelena) the beds comfortable and the covers just right for the air conditioning, as the weather was very hot , if showery. We were right at the top of one of the hills (very near the wedding bower) so it was rather a slog every time, however other party members had accommodation nearer the centre, which although much more convenient, could have been noisier, as nearer the entertainment area, which went on usually until 11pm. This brings me to my main criticism, why oh why is there not a comfortable well lit area for sitting to read, play games etc, away from 'the entertainment'? The only place we could find was in the lobby, but this was nearly always crowded with other people who wished to sit and talk without competing with the singers who were always very loud, and the lighting in The Sunset area was always low due to the entertainers. Some people do not want to be sung at every night, though the artists were good on the whole. There was a large TV area which was used by the reps for their introductory talk , and I rarely saw this being used in the evening, but again the lighting was far too dim and there were no tables.It would be a good alternative area as it is near the bars, but sufficiently away from the stage to make conversation possible. The water facilities seemed great and the water aerobics very popular. One thing I did do was the garden walk, which was fascinating, as there are so many beautiful and interesting plants in the extensive and well maintained grounds, there was only two of us and Bernard the gardener, very informative and charming - who knew that cashew nuts are a fruit! I appreciated the adults only pool on the hill as it is quite small and there are two other pools for families, so they are well catered for. According to my daughter the wedding organiser was really helpful and the whole ceremony beautifully done, the bower attractively decorated with flowers, lanterns and shells. We were made to feel very special and private, despite there being so many people staying there, for although my daughter and now husband originally planned to get married actually on the beach, the bower there was right in the centre and far too public. My only other point was that the hotel staff advised against using the local buses which we found to be very cheap and frequent for Castries and far more fun than a taxi. Also the trip back to the airport was far more expensive when booked through reception, we should have contacted the driver we had on the trip over from the airport - there were 6 of us and it cost us 20 US each, but 25US each back (30 US in total, quite a difference!) My final point is we did the famous Joy's excursion, a brilliant day out and actually very good value , really recommended, can be found at The Pier end of the beach.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank gwash6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,088)
TG, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was thrilled with everything about this resort. Very clean, the rooms were great, the bars; a blast. The staff, especially our concierge Curlann! She was phenomenal! Everything she suggested and booked was great! She was so informative and just the sweetest! I really miss her! The restaurants were very good and the fish... Amazing!!! I loved the fresh fruits and crave wax apples and passion fruit! I had a very wonderful experience, I will always come back to this resort! It's close to everything, and just gorgeous!! I cannot say enough wonderful things about the staff!!! Everyone was so helpful, sweet and just so pleasant!! I am counting down the days until I can go back!

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank mandolin33333
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the St James for 2 weeks from 17th June. This is an exceptionally well managed resort offering great food, superb rooms, a lovely beach, quality watersports and the very best customer service.

Whilst the fabric of the resort is excellent, as with everything it is the people that count. Whether it is Agnes who cooks breakfast or Stuwart who teaches you to water ski, everyone does their very best to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. It's the little touches that really show the passion for service, like the security guard on the beach who picked up a leaflet that had blown out of someones magazine and placed it back from whence it came!

You will not be unhappy with this resort so long as you remember that this is the real world and real people are never perfect. The only people complaining were the Yanks and that says everything!

Please stay here, it is truly exceptional in every way

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Enduroexpert
Moncton , NB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I just returned from my stay at St Jame's Morgan Bay resort. I stayed June 22- June 29/2013.
Our room was # 1135 , 1 bedroom suite ( Well Worth It) and a sensational view of the bay.
The rooms on the hill are newer then the centrally located room 400,500 buildings.
One thing I'd recommend especiallyu now during the slow season is to tip well. We budgeted $20 dollars a day for tipping, a buck here a buck there etc.... The service you get is well worth it, or this is what we noticed . I actually never saw anyone else tip in the 7 days I was there. However the service was excellent for my wife, kids and I because we did. The waiter/waitress did an excellent job.
The Psalms is the normal buffet restaurant, the food in here was excellent in my mind, I had no issue with any of it. The only thing that SHOULD be fixed and I hope the owner reads this.... is that there should be netting over the windows to keep the birds out of the restaurant. We had a waitress named Nicole that served us in the Psalms a couple nights and she was excellent.
The Jardin was another restaurant that is open on certain days and at an extra cost , we didn't go there so I can't comment.
The Morgain Pier on the water , we did this restaurant 2 nights and enjoyed both occassions. food was excellent so was the service.
The other a la carte was excellent as well. we did one night there , starts with a B.......

POOLS
Up on the hill on our side was an adult only bar and fixed drinks , NO KIDS,
The main pool is about 4 feet deep and the kids can play water volley ball etc.
the swim up bar is for adults only and is 5 and 1/2 feet deep.
up on the other hill there's the KIDS pool and restaurant, Couple small water slides,
place to eat and mixed drinks. They also Have ICE CREAM for the kids up at the kids pool.
The GYM and Wedding planner office are all in this location.

Snorkelling at the resort isn't good at all as the water is cloudy here. You can't go beyond the buoy line as there is a lot of traffic with Hobie cats, , seadoo's boat's etc.

We took the JOY'S Adventure which you can sign up for right at the resort. located by Morgan's Pier. we did this adventure on our 3 day there (Thursday is cruise ship day, so don't book anything), well worth the money , we got a deal for my wife and I and the kids, age 5 and 10 , $250 , but I never told u this. This adventure you get to see the West side of the island and they tell the story of St Lucia, We got to see the PITONS, and swim betwen them, Snorkelling here was AMAZING ! Our boat ride back we had company of a school of 100 Dolphins for 20 minutes WOW What a amazing view, swimming right beside us !!!!

We also rented the 2 seadoo's for 30 minutes, The one with the brown seat is faster , This was a great way to see around the corner at the other resorts. $40 per machine.

There is a gift shop with a bunch of things to buy and an artisan shop on the other side. You can get your hair braided there $30-$60 depending on how much hair you have to do.

Drinks where great. The best one for myself was the BBC , You have to try it,
My wife loved the St Jame's delight.

Our room was always clean and the air conditionning freezing cold : ) , Lots of hot water !
Our Bed was very comfortable I might add , Not to hard and not to soft.

This was our first visit and I'd recommend it , great price for the deal. Great people and great service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank LONDON232323
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I just came back from St.Lucia after staying at Morgan Bay for 10nights, i had an amazing time and will definitely be visiting this hotel again.

When we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff, rum punch and cold towels. We checked in and taken straight to our rooms. The resort was beautiful, the gardens were always being seen to by the gardeners and everything around was so clean and tidy.

There where 6 of us that went and we had 3 rooms all next to each other in block 200, the rooms were lovely and spacious with 2 double beds in. The bathroom was lovely and big to. Our maid Laurina was excellent she cleaned the room perfectly for us everyday. The beds were also really comfortable I wanted to take it home!

The main pool area was always clean and the pools were also very clean, the staff at the pool bar were always very cheerful and happy to get you any drink you wanted. The beach was beautiful and there were always plenty of sunbeds available and never overcrowded. There were staff always walking around collecting empty cups to keep the beach clean. The water sports available to guests were great, I highly recommend the banana boat ride and going on a hobi cat.

The food was amazing, with the 4 restaurants to choose from we never had any problem choosing something to eat, we ate in The Palms, Bambou and The Pier. We didn't try Le Jardin as it was something we had to pay extra for and we felt we had enough choice in restaurants already. The waiting staff in the restaurants were all so lovely and friendly, they come round constantly filling your glass with cold water. You have to get used to the birds flying around during meal times but its all part of the experience. Samantha was our favourite member of staff in the Bambou she was great!

As for the evening entertainment it was good, nothing to special but I didn't go for the evening entertainment so I didn't mind, it was nice to sit after dinner and have a few drinks listening to a local band. The activities staff were great and got people involved my favourite was Oszzy. The local wildlife are very vocal in the evening and took me couple of nights to get used to it, but after that you don't notice the noise.

We ventured out of the resort twice to do some shopping at Rodney Bay and also to the market in Castries. Both shopping trips were fun, the locals are as lovely as the staff at the hotel.

Overall I had the most amazing time and would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank CharliiGeorge
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Lovely resort, friendly and very pleasent staff. Had a great time and enjoyed St James Morgan Bay, Didnt like the travel to and from the Airport, horrible roads a 1hr 30mins drive. Pool bars very nice and great friendly staff, nothing is to much trouble for them. they are such happy people and love to dance.

Room Tip: Our room was number 1042 this was up a small hill which was a pain every day, but the room was beaut...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

6 Thank summerhayes78
Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

we stayed in June wonderful! Room was clean and lots to eat and drink. try the drink "Calypso" Our stay was 3 nights it was too short to enjoy site seeing & boat trips you just have to tap into it. ready to go back. spoilt by the staff very friendly "Gina" made us feel very special The food at Morgan Pier Restaurant was superb!

Room Tip: "ocean view close to beach"
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina

Been to St. James's Club Morgan Bay? Share your experiences!