“Wonderful Holiday”

St. James's Club Morgan Bay
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Gros Islet
“Wonderful Holiday”
Reviewed February 4, 2004

We have just returned from 10 days at St. James Club, Morgan Bay, St.
Lucia. We enjoyed every moment of our stay; the staff were very friendly, service was prompt and the quality of both the food and drinks was excellent. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone wanting a lovely relaxed holiday in pleasant, informal surroundings.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,110)
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2004

We arrived on the 25th out of Toronto on Air Canada. We are a couple in our late 30?s and were with another couple the same age. I read every single review on the St James as we booked 1 week before we left and I knew nothing of the resort. I found all the reviews conflicting and could not believe that people who were there the same week could have totally opposite views, but here is mine. The flight was good, arrived on time and had no problem through customs. We were met outside the airport by the St James Club rep and were sent on a bus (really just large mini vans). The driver was pleasant and answered any questions we had about the island. I had heard bad things about the drive, but my wife and I found it pleasant as we drove across the whole island, saw the culture and did not have to pay for the trip. It is about 1hr 20 min depending on how they drive. Take note that they drive on the left, but the steering wheel is on the right. They also drive like maniacs, passing on blind corners and a lot of honking, no different than other islands. Because the island is so mountainous we were up and down hills. You do see quite a bit of poverty driving by, but you see that on most islands. There were quite a few animals roaming, but they were the smart ones and stayed off the road. Looking at some of the shacks makes you remember how good some of us have it every day.Resort ? After the bus ride we quickly scooted through the security gates and into the outdoor lobby. Checking in was no problem, just a small wait. Porters took our luggage back to the room on golf carts and a St James guide showed us to our rooms in the 400 series building. The grounds were nicely maintained and all the staff seemed to be cleaning, trimming bushes, sweeping etc. We did not use the tennis courts, spa or massage so I can not comment on them. As with previous reviews, you will note the resort is showing some age, but we were not there to look at the outside of the building and paint coming off of wicker furniture, the people who took notice of this seem to me to be a wee bit picky and did not see the big picture.Rooms ? The rooms were clean and looked pretty much like the way they did in the travel books. The maids did a nice job in cleaning when you were out during the day. The showers were a bit dated but the water was as hot as you wanted it and the pressure was good. Upper floors had balconies and lower floors had a terrace. You could see the ocean from almost every room but the 600 series are the ones you want as they are overlooking the beach and far enough away from the pool and bar noise.Pools ? There were 2 pools, the center of activity is around the main pool and bar. The other pool is adult only, we looked at it but found it easier to get towels by the main pool and to stay there. Reserving chairs was not a big hassle but the earlier the better for a good spot on the beach or pool. We did arrive late one day and I paid one of the guys at the beach $5 to get us 4 chairs, no big deal and that was the only time it happened. The water was a bit cold in the morning, maybe 76 to 80, but was nice by the afternoon. I read complaints about it being dirty and this was not the case, it was very clean. Throughout the day, leaves etc fell into the pool and suntan oil accumulated around the outside, but the crew was down there early in the morning cleaning it up. There is no Jacuzzi on site.Beach & activities ? The beach is small as most people have seen in the reviews. The sand is fine, not too white, a few larger stones outside the water, but nothing major. Do not expect to snorkel there as the water is too rough and churns up all the sand and seaweed. The only thing I did not like was the small rocks for the first 10 feet walking in, after that there was just sand. We had a blast body surfing on the large waves. One wave carried me about 80 ft and people were videoing the fun. Hello to the nice British couple who loved the body surfing. You can also swim across to another smaller beach up the coast. On the left of the breakwater was another small beach which had some locals and you could take a nice walk down to Sandals 1. As advertised they had all water sports except we did not see the banana boats or the windsurfers. The Hobbie Cats were a blast and had no problem reserving one. You could Jet Ski on the left of the Jedi for $20/20 min, but this was not organized by the hotel. Everyday they had beach volleyball and we had some good heated games, Canadians seemed to kick the butts of our Brit opponents (JK) but it was all good fun. Thx to my wife & friend for bringing down the large tray of Piton?s between the games. The nightly entertainment was average, a few bands (playing mostly slow music), casino night that was pretty lame, karaoke was fun and fire eaters and limbo dancers were good. It started at 9:30 and stopped at about 11:30 each night. They need better staff to get the people up and involved in the shows.Other day activities ? Throughout the day they have games, water aerobics, contests etc. My only complaint here is that they need someone to better organize the events. The people who worked there were not aggressive enough to get people up to do things. Our other complaint is the music. You are in the Caribbean, so lets here some music Mon. Papa Smurf is useless with his CD?s, and half the time he just advertises his boat cruise instead of entertaining the guest with music. We brought out own CD?s but found that the system was too old to play any newer burnt CD?s. I recommend bringing some fun music on purchased or older burnt CD?s and have the guest service girls play them for you. People did complain when we turned up the music but hey, you can?t please everyone!Bars ? The main bar was the place to be, the drinks were good, water and ice are safe to drink. Cold Heiny & Piton draft was available and any other mixed drink possible. We were making them up and naming them after the bartender who made them. Never waited more than 5 minutes for a drink and the resort was full, so I can?t understand the person who said they waited 20 min- ? hour??. Pieres Hideaway on the opposite side of the resort was open to 1:00 am and the main bar closed at 12:00. A little early by my standards, but oh well. Take note that there is no swim up bar.Food ? We never ate at Nicole?s and the price went up from $25 US to $35 US that week, so that?s $50 Cdn each, hard to justify with free food 20 feet away. The menu did not impress me anyways, no lobster or crab. Many people went off the resort to a nice restaurant instead and paid about the same. No problems reserving at the Palm Grille, we ate there 3 nights. The main Buffet food was decent. You can?t expect too much more for lunch and breakfast, pretty much the same each day, but more than enough (made to order egg station, pancakes, bacon, fruit, muffins etc). They have an outside grille with burgers, fries, chicken, fish etc. The dinners were all themes and they posted all the menus outside. Essentially the buffet cold items were the same and each night they changed 8-10 hot dishes. They had an outdoor BBQ one night with ribs, pasta etc and it was good. I can?t see why people b**** at the food, if you are expecting gourmet this is not the place. The Palm Grille was OK, soup, appetizers, 5 choices of meals (usually lamb, duck, beef, fish, chicken) prepared in different ways. I love fish and could eat it every night as they were all different and in good sauces. The deserts were average and you could get the same ones from the Palm in the Tradewinds buffet the next night. Overall I give the food 3.5 starsExcursions ? You get 3 rounds of free golf at the St Lucia GC ($95 US to play), so free was good. It was $25 pp for cart & transportation. Well maintained course, nice scenery, cold Piton beer for $3 and no problem with tee off times. Watch for the locals jumping out of the bushes to sell balls, I swear they are in the bush the second they see you hit there, our strays almost corked a few of them. Not bad deals though, we got 6 Pro V1?s for $2. Joy?s trip is a must, best day of the vacation, good sightseeing, great snorkeling and nice lunch and cold beer at the beach. For $65 you could not beat it, book as soon as you get there as it fills up fast. When you go to Castries or Rodney Bay for shopping or whatever, just takes the bus. It is $1 US for 2 people each way vs. $10 for a cab. It picks you up and drops you off right at the resort. Make sure the bus has 1A on the front.Overall ? We have been to many Islands and this one is the most beautiful, it looks like its right out of Jurassic Park, very lush, mountainous and rich in culture. The people are a bit lazy, but hey, it?s pretty warm down there, but we found all the people on and off the resort friendly. This is more of a couples resort and not a party resort. I don?t think I saw any single people there. There was one marriage while we were there and congrats to Frank & Denise. There were some small kids that had fun at the pool or beach, but I think older teenagers would find it boring. I think the book price is too much for this resort, but we paid ? price on a sell off and it was much better than Dominican or Cuba. I would recommend this trip to people for just relaxing, the warmth, a nice breeze day and night, beautiful starry nights, and sounds of waves crashing the shore. Take it all in, much better than all this snow in Canada. Mike

15 Thank Striker42
Armada,Mi. USA
Reviewed February 2, 2004

We just returned from a one weeks vacation at the St. James Club in St. Lucia and it was an excellent place to stay. The rooms were very clean and attractive. The grounds were almost perfect with alot of nice trees and flowers. We found the food about average for an all-inclusive resort however, the Palms restaurant (which a reservation is needed) was very good and had a nice menu for several differant types of food. The employees in all areas of the resort were extremely friendly and accomidating, probably the nicest of all the islands we have visited over the years. My wife is a very particular person and she said this was one of the nicest vacations we have been on. If you want a big beach, this is not the place but it sure has everything else and you will be pleased spending a vacation at the St. James club.

1 Thank fred k
Reviewed January 28, 2004

My wife and I just returned from a winter break in St Lucia. It was our first visit to the island and hopefully not our last. The weather was mostly hot with a few brief rain showers. We found the St James Club to be by far the best of our all-inclusive experiences. The staff were friendly and attentive. The concierge was very helpful with arranging resevations, tee-times and transportation. Our room was clean and of a good size. The food and drink were a pleasant surprise. Normally we are not big buffet fans but we found ourselves eating 3 meals a day at the buffet as opposed to going to the Palms a la carte restaurant. It was a nice option to be able to eat lunch and dinner at the Palms without any restrictions but we did not feel the need. At almost every meal there was either a freshly grilled or prepared to your liking selection.
Servers would bring any drink choice to your table, as opposed to other resorts we have stayed in where we had to get our own drinks from the bar. An outdoor grill was set up each afternoon serving burgers, hotdogs, chicken, fish and even ribs one day. A late night grill was also available with cooked to order items to satisfy the midnight munchies. The 4 free rounds of golf at the St Lucia Golf Club were a good deal. The course was challenging, in decent condition and the cart/transfer rates reasonable. We did not find children to be a problem as mentioned in previous reviews. Perhaps it was the time of year but the few children we saw were under the age of five and were well behaved. There were a few negatives. There is no hot tub on site and we found the pool temperatuers to be a little cool to our liking.
The beach is a more coarse sand, not the white sand you might imagine.
The water is a little muddy as a result of the sand and also contains some seaweed and rocks. We took a day trip to Rodney Bay ($10 U.S. cab ride) where we found the white beach and crystal blue water we love. My wife found the hair-dryer in the room to have little power and wished she had brought her own. The water sports are very popular and you have to line up early to access the more popular ones such as sailing. To sum it all up, we had a mostly positive experince and would not hesitate to return to the St James Club at Morgan Bay.

Reviewed January 27, 2004

Our 1st visit to this beautiful island. 2 Adults & 3 kids ( 14,10,6). We also got married at St james's Club. I would stongly recommend that you try & the twilight Check in the night before, it makes life so so much easier.The 1st thing is as you come out of customs is the locals try and blag you that you are not allowed to push your suitcase trolleys out the door & must load onto their trolleys, for a short 10 yard trip to your holiday rep. IGNORE THEM. Get ready for a 1 1/2 hour journey from hell. When you arrive at the hotel we found the 2 superior rooms we book of an ok standard, but bathrooms looked old and tired, as did some of the furniture.The grounds are very clean and well maintained, however the hotel does look old and need of 'freshening up'. The kids loved the pool and the beach. However one tiles are not the best, also they keep cleaning the pool not dealing with the film of oil which comes off everyone swimming in it.The staff services varies, from some being really good to ignoring you.The food is plentiful, however very bland and repetive. Breakfast was the best, bbq lunch and Trade Winds very plain and borig, eventhough they change the menu every night. Also cats walk around between your feet in the restuarant which I did not like, but many people encourage them by feeding them.Youngest son went to kids club, but older kids end up making friends anf then have fun.Water sports were ok, but again very limited. Also the layed back attidude, a quick 5 min training lesson on the sailing hobie crafts and off you go!!.The beach is not clear, due to the tide, hence chock bay, the sand is like chocalate. If you want clear white beaches with clear water book another island.The wedding was oragnised by Melaine, who did a great job, every detail was totally sorted. I would recommend the steel band and the professional video, they do a great job its worth the money when you get your editted video. We had the pictures done as well, but brought the negatives back and had them reprinted at jessops and what an improvement in colour !!.The evening entrainment started too late usually 9:30to 10:00pm, and was o.k, casino night, singing, bands. By 11:30 all finished. Kids bored usualy after eating at 7:30pm, nothing to do, one oversized chess set. Tbale tennis usally put away, no other night activity for kids. Also take a torch as very dark around the complex in certain areas.We caught the local bus around the 1A, from outside the hotel, costs 1Ec Dollar each, and go left for Rodney Bay Mall, or right to Casties. However the market is very expensive so barted hard.Also you need to ensure if they are talking US dollars or EC dollars. A lot ofprices just say dollars, so you could give US dollars, hence paying over double. This is a sneaky trick I kept coming across.Overall would I go again, yes I would but this is a three star resort not a four star or sandals. As long as you do not expect ultimate luxury you will not be disappointed. Hopefully if they invest then it should get better !!p.s keep loads of EC dollars in your pocket for small tips if out and about ( works out to 25p UK).Cheers Worcester

Reviewed January 26, 2004

We just got back from a 7 day trip to St. Lucia where we stayed at St. James Club. We booked the trip through Apple Vacations. First, as far hotel accomodations, I would have to say that I was very pleased with our room. We had the top floor, the room was large with cathedral ceilings, and the view was very nice. The room itself seemed to be very clean except that I noticed that I did get bug bites on my legs that only seemed to happen at night after I had gone to sleep. Hmmm . . . As far as the food goes - don't expect much, in fact, you can expect high-school cafeteria quality food. I honestly went there with not very high expectations because the resort is very large and you just cannot feed that many people buffet-style and still have a high level of quality in my opinion. And I was right, even at the "nicer" restaurant, where you have to make reservations and it is not buffet-style, the food was not much better. The bars on the resort were fine, the drinks were fine as well. I would suggest sticking to mixed drinks and beer because the wine tasted flat and old (even vinegary I would say). The staff was on average, very rude and seemed very put-out any time you asked for anything. There were a handful that were always nice and pleasant, but they were more of the exception and not the norm. The beach was fine, but note that it is called Chocolat Bay and the water appears to be somewhat murky. I don't think it is dirty, I think the sand is just very dark and as it washes up on the beach, it makes the water look murky. The beach chairs provided by St. James are disgusting. Very dirty and unsanitary looking. They need to be replaced. The pool is always crowded and forget trying to find a beach chair by the pool unless you get up very early and "claim" it by putting your beach towel on the chair. That is what people do, they put their towels on the chairs and will leave to go eat, go to their room, whatever and be gone for hours all the while hogging the beach chair they have claimed for themselves. You just have to learn to be very protective of your beach chair too and you will be fine. Finally, as for the island itself, be aware that St. Lucia is very third-world. I didn't know this before going there. Minus the handful of nice resorts, the island does not have much at all, it is very underdeveloped. This is great on one hand, the island is breathtakingly beautiful and unspoiled and covered with rainforests and mountains. But, on the other hand, I was a little shell-shocked to see dogs, cows, goats, cats and chickens walking on the unpaved roads everywhere and the very small villages where there is no plumbing or even electricity in some areas. Many of the people lived in shantis and honestly, I did not feel safe anytime I left the resort. That is just my opinion and I am not criticizing the people of St. Lucia. That is the way they live, I am just saying, if you are not used to seeing this, you may be shell-shocked like I was. But, I do suggest taking an arranged group tour around the island because you can't go there without seeing the rainforests, the mountains, and the Pitons. They are a must. My finally note is, do not rent a car when you go to St. Lucia. The roads are too hazardous for the unexperienced and you just never know what kind of trouble you might get in. We rented a car for the day and drove along the west coast. The roads are terrible and there is no easy way to get from one end to the other. You must travel around mountains on very windy, narrow roads through the rainforests and through little villages and you just don't know what could happen. You are much safer and better off paying for a driver or a cab to take you where you need to go.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 16, 2004

Just returned from a week in St. Lucia and it was spectacular. The staff at St James Club were friendly and helpful. Papa Smurf helped book our diving excursions and was very helpful and personable. Joy's adventure is a must. It was one of our favorite excursions. Our six year old daughter enjoyed her stay and the staff at the Kid's club were her favorite. The food at Tradewinds (the Buffet) was excellent and the atmosphere was not at all like a "cafeteria" style which was what I feared. Everyone in the family found something they liked. The resort itself could use an update but everything is kept up and is very clean.
Our room was very nice and the view was spectacular. You do not need ocean front to have a view. The only downfall is the ocean water at this location is murky but still beautiful. Plenty of water activities.
I would return in second and highly recommend this resort.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 12 in Gros Islet
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to St. James's Club Morgan Bay? Share your experiences!